Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CO8 stuff and a first ToEE playthrough

hal900x

Augur
I never really got into ToEE but it's been sitting on the shelf for years so I'm dragging it out and trying it again. I think it was mainly the weak starting area that pissed me off. For those of you who keep up with CO8's releases: I am wanting to stay pretty vanilla, but I like the bugfixes and general polish offered. Should I go with 5.6.0 or wait until the new year for 5.7.0?

Reading through their torturous backpedaling release announcements, I can't suss what the fuck they are doing. They change the version numbers three times before releasing anything. The descriptions make it maddening to figure out which releases have a lot of custom content and which are primarily fixes, as they seem to suffer indecision about what to include and when. There is also a mention of 5.6.1 but I don't see any download for 5.6.1 or a patch from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1, do you?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
hal900x said:
I never really got into ToEE but it's been sitting on the shelf for years so I'm dragging it out and trying it again. I think it was mainly the weak starting area that pissed me off. For those of you who keep up with CO8's releases: I am wanting to stay pretty vanilla, but I like the bugfixes and general polish offered. Should I go with 5.6.0 or wait until the new year for 5.7.0?

Reading through their torturous backpedaling release announcements, I can't suss what the fuck they are doing. They change the version numbers three times before releasing anything. The descriptions make it maddening to figure out which releases have a lot of custom content and which are primarily fixes, as they seem to suffer indecision about what to include and when. There is also a mention of 5.6.1 but I don't see any download for a patch to 5.6.0, do you?

use 5.5.0 if you want the additional content (recommended)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eig ... k-550-beta

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
See sig.

Also, v5.6 has seen the removal of much of the new content due to balance. The plan is to move it to the post-endgame phase, but it'll probably take a while since Co8 is short on manpower. (any volunteers?)

Unfortunately, Co8 5.6(.1) has a few known issues that will be fixed in 5.7, so you might want to wait for that, and/or play one of the basic versions first (vanilla, or Co8 3.0.4, or Co8 5.0 + less new content patch).

hal900x

Augur
Should I really be bothering with added content? I have not played vanilla. Is the original missing something that's remedied by the added content? I mean, if the added content isn't balanced, then one might assume it's not so much filling in gaps as extending the story.

Sounds like both 5.6.1 and 5.7 are mostly free of the added stuff, which is fine. So 5.7.0 is mainly fixing bugs, right? Serious enough bugs to hold out for 5.7.0?

Murk

Arcane
for a first play through get the bug-fix with less new content and play it once. the game is pretty tightly packed as it is. for following play throughs you can try the new content.

there's one of these threads every month - we should just have a sticky that clarifies everything

hal900x

Augur
Mikayel said:
there's one of these threads every month - we should just have a sticky that clarifies everything

I've long considered some kind of unified mod version tracking site. I have an empty site at the moment. The stickied mods/patches thread here is just too ambitious to be useful.

Thanks for the 5.6.1 link. Dunno why they are posting it in "General Modifications" in the first place, orphaned from the rest of the install FAQs in "Game Modifications" where they belong. The organization of the forums is jacked over there.

Murk

Arcane
I suppose, I mean writing up a guide on what to do in regards to the co8 patch is pretty simple and would only be about 3-5 paragraphs long.

I think a lot of the confusion has to do with weird views on the added content and the dreaded "ff7 sword", which still boggles my mind. It's one fucking item in the game, gaddam, just ignore it.

Did Co8 do anything to make Hommelet not suck ass?

It was like this endless fetch quest forcing me to talk to everyone in town when all I wanted to do was go kill things.

Murk

Arcane
They added/restored some stuff but it is still mostly the same crap. Do yourself a favor - use the console to give everyone 3,000 experience and just skip everything to move on to the moathouse or whatever vignette quest is applicable.

Murk

Arcane
Considering how beautiful Hommlett is, it really is a disappointment in terms of quests and NPCs. Graphically the game was just amazing, goddamn I wish it had more substance to it... or at least a decent toolkit for fanmade content.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
Considering how beautiful Hommlett is, it really is a disappointment in terms of quests and NPCs. Graphically the game was just amazing, goddamn I wish it had more substance to it... or at least a decent toolkit for fanmade content.

Absolutely. To my mind, graphically, ToEE represents the absolute pinicle of the 2D (2.5?), isometric viewpoint games - just stunning.

And, as the 2D/iso is my favorite graphical style for RPG's (and Adv/Strat) and I seriously doubt any of the majors will ever produce a game in this style again - it will remain the pinicle for evermore (sadly). :cry:

Edit: Well at least until the indies have the tech advanced enough to equal/surpass it - could be a good while...

Andhaira

Arcane
The Co8 mod adds in ridiculous stuff like Cloud's sword. Avoid at all cost.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Actually, vanilla never run properly for me, so Co8 was a must.

Added content was rather nice and i didnt encounter any "retarded swords" (though i gave up on the game on the late stages, like Mikayel said: needed more substance).

Murk

Arcane
AndhairaX said:

times like this that make me think you're truly a troll.

on the off chance any of you are having a brain fart and seriously thinking of skipping the mod due to that sword let me clarify: The sword was already in the game as a glitched weapon with some magical shit on it that Troika left out. Co8 simply made it possible to reget it. The one of two times you see it is in the expanded shops where its a 1d10 two handed sword with a critical on 20, x3. Basically, it's a fucking bastard sword without the option of one-handing it.

The weapon is encountered on enemies only in added-on Drow areas that you can all together too easily avoid.

Other than that, it is just a fucking sword of a very basic design (big, sharp, one bladed) get the fuck over it. Considering you guys are willing to put up with so much bullshit in every other game (bugs especially) I'm dumbfounded that one optional weapon is enough to make you avoid a mod that fixes like a billion fucking bugs and includes a level cap remover.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It wouldn't be the Cödex without at least some bit of mindless bitching in any thread.

hal900x

Augur
Gragt said:
It wouldn't be the Cödex without at least some bit of mindless bitching in any thread.

Agreed. And I'm not bitching about the mod itself, let me be clear. I could care less if there is a giant sword in there. I've never seen it, but looking at the typical drow spider-soldier's weapon, I bet i've got a pretty good idea what it looks like, and I wouldn't think it'd be that out of place. Something like a short-hafted Glaive?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
AndhairaX said:

roofles!

lies. bullshit. also: youa re a moran.

guillotine sword (aka "clouds sword") has always been in the game. in the vanilla game. someone who is not a FF faggot - like you - wouldn't even notice. plz commit an acid attack on yourself asap, kthxbye

hal900x

Augur
Does the Halfling's small-size attack bonus apply to ranged attacks in this game? And am I gonna have to find teensy little bows, or is that just for melee weapons?

Murk

Arcane
hal900x said:
Does the Halfling's small-size attack bonus apply to ranged attacks in this game? And am I gonna have to find teensy little bows, or is that just for melee weapons?

only melee weapons. I never used halfings or dwarves so i can't comment on the attack bonus in regards to ranged weapons - but i would imagine it would (if it did in PnP then its probably the same way).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
How do I bring out the console in ToEE? The usual keys do nothing. Do I have to fiddle with some .ini file first? I got CoEE but dunno anymore which version.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What part of the "usual keys do nothing" you didn't understand? I know it's supposed to be shift + ~ but that doesn't work, neither does any other key and putting -console after toee.exe doesn't help, either. That's why I asked, if someone here has solved the problem.

hal900x

Augur
GarfunkeL said:
What part of the "usual keys do nothing" you didn't understand? I know it's supposed to be shift + ~ but that doesn't work, neither does any other key and putting -console after toee.exe doesn't help, either. That's why I asked, if someone here has solved the problem.

I believe you need the 2nd official patch to activate the console, in case you haven't applied it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom