Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Purgatorio trailer (and a few bits of NWN2 news)

Starwars

Arcane
Rogue Dao studios show off their hard work in this new trailer for Purgatorio. While I'm sure we're quite a few who have been waiting for a release for a long time now, it's really nice to see some new stuff every now and then. If it turns out to be really good, then I'll have no problem at all waiting for it.

And indeed, it looks great. I might add that I'm extremely impressed with how much custom stuff they've implemented, and they really seem to have pushed the NWN2 toolset. One thing I'm not 100% sure on is the voiceacting, but it's to hard to judge it out of context like this. The rest of the trailer looks very impressive.
The trailer is a bit above 100MB (about 4 and a half minutes long). I'd suggest downloading it.

http://www.roguedao.com/erf/ArtTeam/Cam ... er_DVD.wmv

And in related news, Monty Markland who started the whole Purgatorio/Rogue Dao deal got a job at Obsidian! Rob McGinnis (Obsidian community guy) reported this on his NWN2 blog. Many congratulations to Monty, and I hope he will be happy there. He has said that he will still work on Purgatorio in his free time, and also that there is a large team (23 people) at work on it.

Rob McGinnis also put up a "sneak peek" of the upcoming NWN2 1.11 patch which will hopefully be released next week. You can check out the list here. http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=109
Rob also stated on his blog that Obsidian will probably try to release smaller patches in the future, but to do it more often instead (ever 6 weeks).
It's great to see support continuing for the game, and it's one thing that I think has been great about NWN1 and 2. In fact, the last patch for NWN1 (1.69) is in open beta at the moment.

And lastly, module maker Maerduin released his new mod called Harp & Chrysanthemum. While this might not be "Codex material" per say, as I don't think it has an abundance of C&C and all that, it looks to be very well made. I've only just played the beginning, and this guy does wonders in setting the atmosphere for areas. Area creation is extremely good. Maerduin also created the short mod called The Birthday which I'm quite fond of as well.

Depending on how many quests and whatnot you undertake, Harp & Crysanthemum will take between 4 and 8 hours to complete. Check it out.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=206

Deleted member 7219

Good news all round. Thanks Starwars for compiling this.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Excellent trailer. Voice acting is muffled as hell, but it certainly showcases some really good visuals.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I was wondering what's going on with Purgatorio. From the looks of things, development is going well. :wink:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
One of the coolest things about that trailer, it was shot before our latest art iteration. So the Hive Ward looks completely different now (and better), the gatehouse looks completely different (and better), etc., etc., etc.

Deleted member 7219

Monty, are you a full developer at Obsidian? They didn't actually say what your new job title is.

Jora

Arcane
@MLMarkland

Congrats for the job! I hope you'll help to create many great stories and worlds while you're there.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Great trailer, definitely looking forward to its release.
The Spirit Eater abilities Supress, Gorge and Ravenous Incarnation will no longer alter the PC's alignment
Was this the thing almost everyone was complaining about?

Deleted member 7219

Excellent! I'm sure you'll do a good job, Monty. Congrats on getting that.

denizsi

Arcane
I am currently the assistant producer on the Aliens RPG.

Is it first person? Third person? WASD or cursor? Leak some info, now!

Alternatively, pick two which the game is NOT (eg. not 3rd person & cursor ).

Catalina

Scholar
Figures they'd release it when I can't get to my school computer's connection.

I'm interested as hell, but not really into downloading 119 MB on dial up. :lol:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I think folks will be impressed. And I hope it will be impressive enough to bring new people into the NWN2 Community ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt. I'll do my best to contribute positively to everything I work on. I'll still be doing outside work on Purgatorio as well in my own time.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
denizsi said:

Nice try!

I'll be glad to leak some more info about Purgatorio though. I've got full authority to do that.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Catalina said:

I'm interested as hell, but not really into downloading 119 MB on dial up. :lol:

Dial-up? Where are you from?

Deleted member 7219

denizsi said:

He just got the job, now you want him fired? Tsk tsk... :wink:

Catalina

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Catalina said:

Eastern North Carolina, U.S.. Very very rurual. My county only has about 10,000 people, and I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Wal Mart, and 1 hour 15 minutes to get to any places with real stores. The phone lines make it so my connection is a whopping 28.8k. :lol: Satellite internet is pretty expensive, too.

For files over 20MB, I really only download what I really want. When Purgatorio comes out, it'll definitely be something I don't mind leaving the connection on for.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Catalina said:
fastpunk said:
Catalina said:

Eastern North Carolina, U.S.. Very very rurual. My county only has about 10,000 people, and I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Wal Mart, and 1 hour 15 minutes to get to any places with real stores. The phone lines make it so my connection is a whopping 28.8k. :lol: Satellite internet is pretty expensive, too.

For files over 20MB, I really only download what I really want. When Purgatorio comes out, it'll definitely be something I don't mind leaving the connection on for.

Well, it's better than nothing right? :D There's no fun on the PC without teh internets... except gaming of course.

Lemon

Arcane
MLMarkland said:
One of the coolest things about that trailer, it was shot before our latest art iteration. So the Hive Ward looks completely different now (and better), the gatehouse looks completely different (and better), etc., etc., etc.

The art looks utterly fantastic.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Dark Underlord? Calis? Where are you guys? I think Monty deserves the Obsidian avatar and tag.

MLMarkland said:
I'll be glad to leak some more info about Purgatorio though. I've got full authority to do that.
You said it!

What do you believe to be the most awesome thing about Purgatorio? What are you most proud of? When will Obsidian begin to hype Aliens RPG and their unannounced project? You can PM me the answer to the last question.

Edit: Oh, and Mechanus looks amazing. Keep up the good work!

xantrius

Liturgist
MLMarkland said:

Sounds very promising indeed ^^ , and congrats with the new job monty.

Lumpy

Arcane
MLMarkland said:
Wouldn't that be one of the lamest things about that trailer, then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom