Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Ultima IX!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
WTF?! WHY on earth would anyone want to play this incredibly bad and terrible game that soiled the very Ultima series? Well I recently just finished Ultima's IV to VIII, and for some morbid reason, forgot why I should forever keep this turd fest forever on my shelf, collecting dust, and installed and loaded up the game.

This public service, I do, in order for the dear Codex reader to avoid this terrible game.

Since Ultima IX is a RPG, I present it here in this forum.

Let's begin, shall we?

Ahh Origin... the makers of GREAT role playing games!
UIXSS001.jpg

The opening scene is of some old fucking farmer, pulling a cart.

UIXSS002.jpg

Suddenly! A "scary" sound is heard, echoing in the wind!
UIXSS003.jpg

The ground trembles and shakes violently! Mr. Old fucking farmer is vary scared!
UIXSS005.jpg

Suddenly, something crashes up through the ground!
UIXSS006.jpg

A giant, hot, red, and throbbing column, thrusts it's way upward!
UIXSS007.jpg

My, what a big column!
UIXSS008.jpg

Hmm, that giant rock tumbling down towards Mr. fucking old farmer doesn't bode well.
UIXSS009.jpg

Oh well...
UIXSS011.jpg

God damned Guardian! I was just having a nice dream about Steve, the really great guy I met last night at the bar... hmm let me turn the light on.
UIXSS012.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK!!??
UIXSS014.jpg

Apparently, the same affliction I had when going to Pagan, which suddenly turned me into a man is back again. Oh well. What's a lady to do?

Hmm... a TV. Let's see what is on, shall we?
UIXSS016.jpg

The EA SPORTS CHANNEL?? What kind of nightmarish horrible world have I been brought to?? Let's turn this off for now.
UIXSS017.jpg

Yes, I probably should perhaps put on some clothes.
UIXSS019.jpg

Hmm... I wonder what people in this hellish world read when taking a crap?
UIXSS020.jpg

Apparently equipping items.
UIXSS021.jpg

There we are. Our studly clothed Avatar.
UIXSS022.jpg

Let's head on downstairs. Ahh, a computer. Hmm something about a Ultima Online 2? I must be in some weird hellish alternate Earth world.
UIXSS024.jpg

Our lovely kitchen. Featuring bread, cheese and rats on the floor.
UIXSS025.jpg

Ah ha! This MUST be a TRUE Ultima! Because it's not an Ultima unless you can bake bread!
UIXSS026.jpg

Let's look into the fridge. What? No fucking beer? This is definatly not my house, and what the fuck is that thing on the bottom shelf? I don't want to know. Let's get out of here!
UIXSS027.jpg

The living room. I wonder if I can interact with it?
UIXSS028.jpg

Why yes, yes I can! True roleplayering!!11!
UIXSS030.jpg

Outside I learn to use a bow...
UIXSS031.jpg

Use A sword...
UIXSS033.jpg

And to play hopscotch!
UIXSS034.jpg

A telescope! What mysteries will it reveal?
UIXSS037.jpg

Well apparently some fucking hippies have moved in and set up camp. What is this world coming to?
UIXSS038.jpg

I head out the gate, and Hawkwind reminds me, Britannia is a dangerous Place!! I surely need to practice my skills.
UIXSS040.jpg

Ah! A fierce, deadly rabid wolf! Awaiting to stalk it's prey... me! I shall prepare myself!
UIXSS043.jpg

Hmm... Mr. Fierce, deadly rabid wolf doesn't seem to want to play! I have this feeling, that he is actually supposed to be attacking me.
UIXSS044.jpg

Well fuck it. Let practice my skills. What is this? Fierce, deadly rabid wolve's that carry coins? What the fuck? Do they need coins to go shopping at Wall-Mart? What a truly strange world this is.
UIXSS046.jpg

Well here is that camp of fucking hippies. Let explore a bit more and came back here later.
UIXSS047.jpg

A sekret cave!
UIXSS048.jpg

Inhabited by a giant goat killing rat! I swiftly dispatch it!
UIXSS049.jpg

What the fuck? Do all the wildlife here drop coins??
UIXSS050.jpg

I explore the cave. Find a mysterious red potion and kill another goat killing coin dropping rat. The sekret cave ends here.
UIXSS053.jpg

Back out side, I find the dreaded Software Pirate! These deadly and sick scoundrels can seed a lot of people, especially unsuspecting children! I must kill him, and end his wicked ways!
UIXSS054.jpg

Futher on, I find a big fucking web, which I must hack away with at my sword to get through.
UIXSS056.jpg

I try a bit of swimming.
UIXSS058.jpg

And what is this? A waterfall? I shall search it!
UIXSS059.jpg

Ah ha! A sekret cave with boxes and arrows!
UIXSS060.jpg

Well, I don't know about you, but I am done with my exploration so far of this hellish strange world. Whew! Let's head back over to those god damned hippies.

[To Be Continued]

Questions? Comments? Want to see more?

I will be playing this regardless. I'll be happy to continue to document my encounters if you like.

Fez

Erudite
If you bake the rat poison into the bread, I believe you can use it to kill Lord British.

In a mag they conducted this interview with peeps who build a bridge of bread over troubled water, which eventually allowed them to reach the final island of the game right from your starting position. Video gamers! :D Mh, never actually played this myself...

Fez

Erudite
Psycroptic said:
What the hell is that in the refrigerator? It looks like a human head. :lol:

Leftovers. The avatar is very frugal.

Fez

Erudite
The guy has rabid wolves and giant rats right outside his house. I think clothes in his bathroom are the least of his troubles.

dolio

Scholar
Well, luckily, he's probably in exceptional health from his diet of cheese brick, head of lettuce, plate of bacon and pie.

Fez

Erudite
All the important food groups covered.

I'm amazed that he manages to have anything in stock in a house that is surrounded by hazards and barriers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Let's head back to that camp of hippies!
UIXSS065.jpg

Hmm... suddenly my vision blurs, and I remember something...
1139449943-02.jpg

What was I thinking! This is no camp of fucking hippies! It's that Gypsy Woman!

UIXSS066.jpg

UIXSS067.jpg

:shock:
TextGypsy.jpg

UIXSS078.jpg

UIXSS079.jpg

UIXSS080.jpg

UIXSS081.jpg

Whoa! Big fucking floating cards! Hmm... I suspect that "incence" burning in the background may not really be incence...
UIXSS088.jpg

I answer her questions and see this:
UIXSS090.jpg

UIXSS091.jpg

Sweet!
UIXSS092.jpg

UIXSS093.jpg

UIXSS094.jpg

UIXSS095.jpg

A... Purple gate? Well I have seen blue and red.. this must be something speshul!
UIXSS096.jpg

UIXSS097.jpg

I wonder what books The Gypsy would read. Tarot Readers Monthly?
UIXSS099.jpg

Apparently, she reads some crap written by some Richard Garriott guy...
UIXSS100.jpg

I wonder what this blue crystal ball thing could reveal to me:
UIXSS106.jpg

UIXSS107.jpg

Maybe I should head here next...
UIXSS108.jpg

I head my way to the weird... Purple... gate.
UIXSS109.jpg

Hawkwind speaks to me:
UIXSS110.jpg

UIXSS111.jpg

All righty then! Let's kill this damn Gazer thing.
UIXSS112.jpg

The creepy beast is slain!
UIXSS113.jpg

I now prepare to step into this strange gate. Britania and the Guardian await me!
UIXSS114.jpg

Fez

Erudite
No! You forgot to make the poison bread. Now you can't murder Lord British. :(

dolio

Scholar
Though you have mastered combat, swimming and your equipment, it seems you've failed to master sitting on chairs correctly.

Binary

Liturgist
It's obvious from the screenshots that the avatar can be good at saving worlds, but he has no idea on how to iron a pair of trousers ;)

The Idiot

Novice
It doesn't seem to be that bad so far. Giant rats and stuff right outside Avatar's house are obviously stupid but it looks like it could be fun. Is it a bad game on its own or just by Ultima standards? How does it compare to, let's say, Gothic?

Nedrah

Erudite
Wasn't there some kind of fan-patch that's supposed to fill some of the holes and fix some broken mechanics? Are you playing with that?

Anyways, awesome thread, please keep going.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The fan-patch gives monsters more HP, fixes the broken economy by changing prices and it changes the entirely dialogue to be way more Ultima-like. It was made by some revered Ultima dragons, so you can tell it's good. I nearly enjoyed the experience. Hythloth. Oh god.

Micmu

Magister
THAT bored? :shock:

Seriously, I'm expecting let's play Dung Lords or Big Rigs one of these days.

mondblut

Arcane
Good god, and I thought to play it someday. Methinks I'd rather not.

Eh, wasn't Avatar supposed to be teleported straight to Britannia by the end of U8? With those red skies, mountains of lava, dragons et al in final sequence? What's with this fridge and TV crap again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom