Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's a Fallout 3 Information Bonanza!

Lingwe

Liturgist
Warning: the following links may contain extreme stupidity.

Joystiq
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/10/joyst ... 60-pc-ps3/

Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/378147/growing-up-with-fallout-3

IGN
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865613p1.html

Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/pew-pew-prev ... .phtml#ext

1UP
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167330&p=1

Gameshark
http://www.gameshark.com/previews/3308/ ... review.htm

Shacknews
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=828

Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fal ... ot;title;1

Team Xbox
http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1 ... lout-3/p1/

Gamespy
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/fal ... 671p1.html

GamesRadar
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fallo ... 1037562096

Spotted at ESF

Some choice quotes:

Joystiq - As Hines moved around dark corners, he showed off the system that lets gamers choose to play as a real-time or turn-based shooter. Basically, you hit a button to activate turn-based mode, pausing the scene, and queuing up specific attacks to enemies.

Joystiq - I asked if downloadable content would follow in that game's path. Hines answered, "[Downloadable expansions are] certainly something -- given the popularity of the ones we did for Oblivion -- that we'll be looking into.

Kotaku - When I saw Fallout 3 at last year's E3 I thought it looked cool but not being one of the cult of Fallout, I viewed it with the same sort of interest that I do most games I know nothing about: Curious, but not what I would call overly excited.

Kotaku - As any of you who are familiar with Fallout will know, your enemies are mostly radiated mutants or "ghouls" as they are called in the game. (Hilarious as he just admits to not knowing anything about Fallout before - L)

Kotaku - The Fat Man Rocket launcher was a particular favorite of mine

Kotaku - Everything I saw about this game was impressive, but what really got my attention was its overall art style. The optimistic fifties design juxtaposed against the destroyed landscape is a great choice and is seen everywhere from the HUD to the atomic design of Vault 101. Seeing it sprinkled around the world gave me the same feeling I got the first time I saw the art-deco wonders of BioShock. It's nostalgic yet at the same time seems so fresh and new because we rarely see that style of design in modern games, especially FPSs.

IGN - But next up was something that all Fallout fans can get giddy about: Dogmeat. (Hey it has SPECIAL and it has Dogmeat, it must be Fallout - L)

(amazingly this was the only marginally stupid thing in the IGN article!!!)

Destructiod - Eventually, your father returns to discover your breakage from kiddie refinement, but of course there are no negative consequences, since you can innocently burble back at him with "ga-ga's" and "da-da's", with the help of the trusty A button. (what about those of us on PC? will we also have to use the letter 'A' to cry? - L)

Destructoid - While V.A.T.S. is the generally more strategic and successful approach to combat, players can also choose to attack from a first- or third-person shooter perspective if desired. (the Developers have practically confirmed that combat is unplayable in third person - L)

Destructoid - Not only were there regular Ghouls (humans who've had their brains fully deteriorated by radioactivity), but there were also Glowing Ghouls who have fully absorbed the radioactivity and effectively heal their brethren by a radioactive burst of curative fluids.

Destructoid - Fallout 3 is still looking to be a pretty fantastic game, and according to Pete, a very good sequel to the series.

Destructoid - According to Pete, the writing for the game is a combined effort between game designers, engineers, and producers — selective game development teams build individual quests and eventually take their finished work back to the rest of the team for review. (See Brother None's comments about every man and his dog at Bethesda having a say at what goes in the game - L)

GameShark - Fallout 3 mixes real-time action with turn-based tactics for a unique combat system

Shacknews - Now Bethesda's unenviable task is twofold: First, bring the traditionally PC-oriented Fallout series to modern consoles and make it appeal to a broader audience who may have never touched a Fallout game before. (Actually I couldn't think of a better developer to do this. Bethesda's dumbing down abilities are second only their hyping abilitiyes - L)

Shacknews - Second, and far more difficult, build a game that honors Fallout's decade-long legacy and at least try to appease its existing hardcore audience, whose love for the franchise runs a narrow spectrum from adoration to outright fanaticism. (Remind me where Bethesda ever said they cared about the original fans? - L)

Shacknews - In other words, the design team has had its own vision for Fallout 3 since day one, and with the move to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, that vision has to consider a much larger audience, one composed of people for whom this Fallout will be their first. I'm one of those people, and as a big fan of Oblivion, it looks like Fallout 3 has enough of the same hooks--the open world, the freedom of choice, the action-based role-playing--to really pique my interest. Except this time around, you get the added benefits of handheld nuclear bomb launchers and grisly exploding mutant heads.

Shacknews - Since the demo I saw focused almost entirely on generic combat, I didn't get a good feel for what Fallout 3's character interactions will be like (I wonder why - L)

Gamespot - Those familiar with Fallout lore will remember that "ghoul" is just a term used to describe any human that has been exposed to such severe amounts of radiation as to become severely deformed physically, but feral ghouls have actually lost their minds and become aggressive animals, while their deadlier brethren, "glowing feral ghouls," have an unhealthy fluorescent green glow and will set off your PipBoy's Geiger counter--an eventually make your character extremely ill if you let them zap you with their radiation-based attacks.

Gamespot - While the game will still handle dialogue with other characters with a multiple-choice dialogue screen of the kind you've seen in games like Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Knights of the Old Republic, (Great! - L)

TeamXbox - The gameplay we saw is still relatively rough, making it impossible to offer any kind of definitive assessment of how it’ll play in final form, but it’s coming together nicely, with plenty of nuances already on display.

TeamXbox - One good example is something you might not even notice when you play. Pete Hines, Bethesda’s VP for public relations and marketing, stated that, after you go through the detailed character-creation editor at the start of the game, the face of your character’s father in the gameplay will be procedurally crafted based on how your character looks.

TeamXbox - Bethesda appears to have the pedal to the metal in completing it, and with about half a year left in its development, showed that there’s a lot of nuance being crafted in on many levels of the design.

Gamespy - We know Bethesda is probably on the right track.

Gamespy - There are certain elements that, if absent from a Fallout game, would cause its obsessive fanbase to bust a few crucial synapses. (Die Fallout fans kthxbye love Allen Rausch - L)

In other news NMA wasn't invited, no one is surprised.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Not only were there regular Ghouls (humans who've had their brains fully deteriorated by radioactivity), but there were also Glowing Ghouls who have fully absorbed the radioactivity and effectively heal their brethren by a radioactive burst of curative fluids.
This is one of the stupidest thing I've heard so far.

EDIT: Goddamn spelling! Will I ever get it right?

Callaxes

Arbiter
Not only were there regular Ghouls (humans who've had their brains fully deteriorated by radioactivity), but there were also Glowing Ghouls who have fully absorbed the radioactivity and effectively heal their brethren by a radioactive burst of curative fluids.

rofl.gif

TheLostOne

Savant
Destructoid - While V.A.T.S. is the generally more strategic and successful approach to combat, players can also choose to attack from a first- or third-person shooter perspective if desired. (the Developers have practically confirmed that combat is unplayable in third person - L)

Actually, all they said is that you can pull the 3rd person camera out to a bird's-eye perspective, but from this mode combat is not playable due to the aiming mechanism.

Pretty sure they've said that over the shoulder 3rd person perspective plays fine.

Everything else is legitimate bitching, though.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
"GameShark - Fallout 3 mixes real-time action with turn-based tactics for a unique combat system "

Goddamit. Just call it pause or bullet-time or whatever the hell you please as long as you don't call it turn-based, semi turn-based, pseudo turn-based... its rtwp!

"an eventually make your character extremely ill if you let them zap you with their radiation-based attacks. "

This would be the green lightning then, would it?

"TeamXbox - The gameplay we saw is still relatively rough, making it impossible to offer any kind of definitive assessment of how it’ll play in final form, but it’s coming together nicely, with plenty of nuances already on display. "

Ooh, nuances, how very nice. Bethesda is sure letting a lot of info out, huh.

"the face of your character’s father in the gameplay will be procedurally crafted based on how your character looks."

Better hope this procedural generation is better than the fucked up genetics experiment of Oblivion.

Best quote of them all:

Gamespy - We know Bethesda is probably on the right track.

Hahah. That's pretty reassuring.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder why I even click any thread related to Fallout 3. Maybe because I take some pleasure in reading stupid things like a radioactive burst of curative fluids.

I hope there are romances planned in that game, better make good use of those fluids.

Starwars

Arcane

Wow, this almost tops the Fatman and Valut Boy bobbleheads. And great, we'll have a turnbased combat mode guys!!11!11!

Urgh.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Kingston said:
I have to say that this looks fantastic:

80857-title.jpg

I have to say that i disagree, absolutely standart german village/french village/Stalingrad/any other fps location cityscape seen in every second fps, only statue on the left stands out.
Booooring...

Lurkar

Scholar
It amuses me in a depressing way that 90% of those quotes are "We never played Fallout, or hell, even know anything about it, but Pete assures us it's an awesome sequel, so it MUST be!"

Herbert West

Arbiter
I have to say something about those previews.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

crakkie

Arcane
Lurkar said:
It amuses me in a depressing way that 90% of those quotes are "We never played Fallout, or hell, even know anything about it, but Pete assures us it's an awesome sequel, so it MUST be!"

It's a smaller group that the first previews. They probably just picked the ones that gushed the most in the first round and only invited them.

MisterStone

Arcane
Curative fluids, eh?

Is it just me, or does Bethesda design stuff for FO3 by first assuming that the game they are working on is a fantasy game, then retroactively trying to force it to fit into the SF/Post Apoc setting? Kind of like smashing a square peg into a round hole.

Hey, maybe they will have creatures that cause ambient life like insects to instantly mutate and grow into gigantic size (= summon spell). Or may they will have the ability to spew gobs of explosive flammable material from "glands" on their hands? (= fireball/magic missile, etc.) Or maybe generate electricity from electricity glands in their armpits? (=lightning bolt) Or... well, you get the picture.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lurkar said:
After the NMA fiasco Bethesda pre-screens the journalists:

- What do you think about Fallout?
- I'm a big fan! I hope you guys won't screw up.
- You are blacklisted, you rabid piece of shit!

- What do you think about Fallout?
- Never heard about it. Is it as good as Oblivion?
- You sound like a smart fella. How would you like to write a Fallout 3 preview?
- Like with words and stuff?
- Don't worry, it's already written. Just sign here and here. Now, open wide. You are about to receive some curative fluids. *unzips

MetalCraze

Arcane
actually this new Glowing ghouls will make the game more tactical. You will encounter the bunches of ghouls with glowing ghouls - so you will have to kill the glowing ghouls first and only then the other ones.
well done, Beth, really really well done.

dragonfk

Erudite
Could I get a curative fluid as my companion? Pretty, pretty please?

denizsi

Arcane
I was playing Call of Duty 2 today (completed Russian and British campaigns and a few levels into the American campaign) and the quality and the vastness of environments struck me. I don't know how much of that they copy from real WW2-era locations and how much is imagination, but they are vastly superior to and more inspiring than most of the environments I see in other games. There were similarly good environments in the first MoHAA game and its two expansions too; must be either the art direction or level designers (Infinity Ward, developer of CoD series, consists of ex-devs of MohAA if I'm not mistaken).

All these quality environments remind me that I'd love to see an open ended RPG set in WW2 without a definite emphasis on combat. Whatever main quest for a story the player would have, he'd be on his own to get to anywhere at any time during the war, between fronts and theaters or other places for advancing the story or quests and play for either sides or none, whatever suits him/her the most, with partaking in actual battles as an option for some quests or whatever, with lots of dialogue.

Nope, Silent Storm doesn't count. Hammer & Sickle? I can't tell, I haven't played it yet, but take what I wrote with a healthy dose of graphics-whoredom.

edit: Oh, thread is about F3? Who the FUCK gives a fuck about F3?

Disconnected

Scholar
Meanwhile, in another one of Ted's Tubes, a reviewer laments the fact that hardcore gamers aren't big enough idiots to pay the brain-fried ghouldom that passes for gaming journalism these days.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In other words, the design team has had its own vision for Fallout 3 since day one, and with the move to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, that vision has to consider a much larger audience, one composed of people for whom this Fallout will be their first. I'm one of those people, and as a big fan of Oblivion, it looks like Fallout 3 has enough of the same hooks--the open world, the freedom of choice, the action-based role-playing--to really pique my interest. Except this time around, you get the added benefits of handheld nuclear bomb launchers and grisly exploding mutant heads.
*weeping like a little girl*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom