Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play - Betrayal at Krondor

Suchy

Arcane
I somewhat felt an urge of brushing the dust from my favourite RPG of all times... So not make a Let's Play thread as well?

The adventure starts, as the young boy Owyn, travelling to Tiburn from a party in Yabon, stopped to help Seigneur Lockear with his wounded arm.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

But suddenly :shock:

4.jpg

Obviously Gorath recognized the assassin, he quickly wrapped the chain around intruder's neck, speaking:
"Do not struggle so, Haseth, I wish to keep you alive."
5.jpg

Locklear searched through assassin's belonging finding some food ad a few lockpicks. Gorath seemed somewhat distant, so Owyn proposed to bury the body.
6.jpg

After a short discussion Owyn was forced to stay with Locklear and his prisoner, as they both were afraid he might spread the word about moredhel being transported to Krondor - even if unwillingly.
7.jpg

They decided to let Gorath move freely - he wouldn't have a chance of surviving alone in the Kingdom if he tried to escape, but they expected more assassins.

Before moving south towards Krondor, the party payed a quick visit in nearby town of Yabon to buy some supplies.
8.jpg

Unfortunatelly they were way too low on money to buy anything. Their luck turned when they decided to investigate an abandoned house, finding there a slightly used standard kingdom armor - just for Owyn, who wasn't wearing any protective clothing.
They got back to main road and moved south. After a few miles they noticed a strange chest hidden behind some bushes. Aha - a moredhel wardlock!
After Gorath translated the text, the riddle wasn't really hard.
9.jpg

Not much in there, an old leather armor and a rusty sword. Still worth a few coins, so they took the loot. They continued the journey, yet not even a mile later they heard calling.
Owyn recognized the voice of Squire Philip who he met at the party in Yabon. Owyn told him he was travelling with his uncle and their elven friend Thorgath down to Hawk's Hollow.
10.jpg

Ha, the chest they just looted. After a short conversation the party moved onward.
Next morning they hit the town of LaMut.
11.jpg

They moved straight to the Blue Wheel Inn, where they met...
12.jpg

Locklear didn't recognize the dwarf at first, but in fact Dubal saved his ass years earlier during the battle of Sethanon. They talked a bit and learned that the dwarves in nearby mine have a problem with a creature called Brak Nurr.
Later chatted a bit with the Tsurani inn keeper.
13.jpg

He offered to teach them a few combat tricks, but unfortunately they didn't have enough money. Some other time.
Before they left, Owyn felt an urge to try his skill on the lute lying around. It didn't end up nice...
14.jpg

Before leaving LaMut, the party decided to pay a visit in a garrison overlooking the city, where Locklear's friend Captain Belford was stationed. They learned that not long ago a group of grey warriors from Kelewan who slipped through the Rift gate before it closed. Apparently they were carrying a valuable ruby belonging to Makala - a Tsurani Great One.
Locklear thanked for the information and the party left. They decided to check what's that problem with Brak Nurr in the mine, but they stumbled upon another assassin who was there looking for Gorath. The fight wasn't long. Owyn knew a simple blinding spell which allowed them to kill the moredhel without a scratch.
15.jpg

They rested a few minutes and walked towards the mine.
16.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am playing this game right now and I am currently on Chapter III.

It's a really great game. My favourite aspect of RPGs is exploring and finding clues or objects and then seeing what options or situations they open up. This game has that, and it does it well. This is especially so in the quest where a woman's shop is haunted, and if you explore around, you find a shovel in a nearby farmhouse, indicating graverobbing.

But I wonder: did they use rotoscoping to make the animations in the game? As in, taking videos/pictures of real people, and then drawing and colouring over them.

Amasius

Augur
Heh, I still remember how surprised I was back then when Gorath killed that Assassin in the intro. I doubt that this will be the most interesting LP - not many choices for us and the game is just to good to make fun of. But maybe the good story can make up for it. Keep it coming, man.

Zomg

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
But I wonder: did they use rotoscoping to make the animations in the game? As in, taking videos/pictures of real people, and then drawing and colouring over them.

I always thought they were digitized photos of actors in costume with fake hair and beards, not manipulations.

Section8

Cipher
Zomg said:
Wyrmlord said:

I always thought they were digitized photos of actors in costume with fake hair and beards, not manipulations.

That's the impression I got too. My favourite bit is how Owyn is supposed to be some young squire, yet looks like a fat, balding middle-aged man with an ill-fitting blonde wig.

Binary

Liturgist
Excellent! One of the best RPGs ever at last on a LP thread on the Codex! :D

Suchy said:
The fight wasn't long. Owyn knew a simple blinding spell which allowed them to kill the moredhel without a scratch.

Despair Thy Eyes FTW! Will be your greatest help for the first chapter or two (but you probably know that)

Amasius said:
Heh, I still remember how surprised I was back then when Gorath killed that Assassin in the intro. I doubt that this will be the most interesting LP - not many choices for us and the game is just to good to make fun of. But maybe the good story can make up for it. Keep it coming, man.

This game's story is excellent, with enough twists and turns - and lots of exploration, especially on the 3rd chapter, if the OP so desires.

Unwanted

AndhairaV

Unwanted
The spell is called "Blind thy Eyes". Its been 12+ years since I've played the game but I remember that much. I also remember the first cutscene where Gorath breaks the giuys neck. Man, that game had FANTASTIC cutscenes for its day, quite well animated. Also, the characters are photorealiistic, because that was the rage in that time. Sadly. Other games fell prey to it as well (Ishar series for example). Thankfully the ones in BAK are well done and don't look horrific. (the games that did NOt go photorealism route look much better today, and also at that time. Lands of Lore and Clouds of Xeen being good examples)

When you finish this, play Return to Kroondor. Its even better IMO. More linear yes, but better focused and with a more interesting story with even more interesting sideplots all of which tie together very nicely.

You may also want to play Betrayal at Antara. Its a great game too.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember playing Krondor multiple times but somehow I never managed to finish it, because of some stupid reasons usually. Hell, I think I still remember some answers to the riddled chests (which was also a great feature - no key hunting, and if you lack the wit just gtfo).

Although I remember that the 2nd chapter was kind of annoying (unless I was doing something wrong), because of the friggin rising from the dead Night Hawks and the only option to beat them was to place your heroes on their corpses, so they don't stand up o_O

And it's interesting, I see you played it on Dosbox but I know I tried to launch the game through it and it didn't work ffs.

Suchy

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I remember playing Krondor multiple times but somehow I never managed to finish it, because of some stupid reasons usually. Hell, I think I still remember some answers to the riddled chests (which was also a great feature - no key hunting, and if you lack the wit just gtfo).

Although I remember that the 2nd chapter was kind of annoying (unless I was doing something wrong), because of the friggin rising from the dead Night Hawks and the only option to beat them was to place your heroes on their corpses, so they don't stand up o_O

And it's interesting, I see you played it on Dosbox but I know I tried to launch the game through it and it didn't work ffs.
There was a spell that could put the Nighthawks to eternal sleep. I had some problems with running it on DosBox too - it didn't start if I had too many cycles set in the conf file. Had to lower it to 20000 and then rise manually after the game launched. Also for some reason mouse doesn't work on the main menu. It started working after I chose any option using the keyboard.

Allanon said:
My first bought game ever and such a gem. Keep it coming!
As you wish :D

Right after entering the mine, our brave party stumbled upon a dwarf...

17.jpg

He confirmed the rumor about Brak Nurr and said it's the kobolds who stirred him up.

18.jpg

...our kin. We've a reward to whomever can do it in---if you're of a mind and 'ave the spirit that is.

The dwarf also told them about nearby temples, in case they got their butts hurt by the Brak Nurr.
After some time of wandering through the corridors, reloading after trying to open a trapped chest (after all Owyn was worth more than 57 gold and a shovel), the party met a group of not too friendly looking men.
What did they do in dwarven mine? No idea...

19.jpg

20.jpg

The battle was fierce...
21.jpg

...and took long, as Locklear was playing cat and mouse with enemy mage, one of the sect warriors was playing cat and mouse with Owyn and Gorath just swung his sword at anyone in range. Eventually all fanatics were killed, but our party had to heal their wounds for over 3 days.

They spent another day rambling through the dungeon, fighting off a few rogues and looting everything worth taking.
Finally they found Brak Nurr.

22.jpg

23.jpg

The fight wasn't actually that hard, thanks to the fact that the creature was alone and Owyn really took a liking to his Despair Thy Eyes spell.

24.jpg

They collected the reward, then decided to search the last unexplored parts of the mine. They found another moredhel chest. After some random switching and some random thinking, the chest stood open.

25.jpg

On their way out to the surface, they met Naddur again. For 50 gold the dwarf taught them a bit about sharpening swords.

26.jpg

Daylight, at last!
The men went back to LaMut to sell all the junk they were carrying. Again they went to the tavern, remembering that Sumani would teach them some of his combat skills for 75 gold coins.
Locklear gaped.
Striding down from the narrow doorway of the Blue Wheel Tavern was a figure that no longer bore any resemblance to a modest tavern keeper. Obviously having taken his time to refit himself, Sumani had donned a pitted suit of blue laminate armor, the greaves, breastplate and leggings all fashioned out of a light weight wood which creaked as he lumbered towards them.
"Tsurani armor?" Locklear asked.
Sumani adjusted his blue-plumed helm over his eyes. "I was a former Patrol Leader. The Earl Kasumi insisted that I should keep the armor given to me by House Shinzawai. Although I no longer serve in the garrison, my oath of loyalty is still to the Earl. Are you prepared for your lessons?"
"Yes, I think so."
A mischievous glint reflected in the Tsurani's eyes. "Then defend yourselves."

Locklear motioned for a halt to the lessons as he hauled himself for the third time out of the cold LaMutian river. "Okay, mercy, uncle, whatever it is you damnable Tsurani say when you want to surrender."
"Your will, lord," Sumani chuckled, already beginning to resume his modest role as a tavern keeper. "I shall meet you inside the Blue Wheel once you have dried yourselves off."

Back in the tavern they talked about possible whereabouts of Tsurani Grey Warriors with Makala's ruby. Sumani said that there is a gem merchant of tainted honor in the town of Lorier. Maybe it would be good to pay a visit there later.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Time to leave LaMut and continue the journey...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Suchy said:
There was a spell that could put the Nighthawks to eternal sleep

Dammit, I wish I knew about it before. It was ESPECIALLY funny when you were fighting 4 nighthawks at once. 3 dead -> James on one corpse, Gorath on the second and Owyn on the third and of course, the last enemy conveniently had to attack Owyn...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
here's a trick when training skills on npc. Go to your party and unfocus (red gem on the sword) ALL skills except the one being trained. More skill up that way.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Turn off tha bloody filter, I can't see the pixels. It ruins the whole graphics.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
BAK has the best cosplay ever , plenty of room for a bit of parody there...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
HEY BETHESDA! ARE U READING THIS? THIS IS HOW U HAVE ONE WORD OPTIONS IN DIALOGUE WITHOUT LOOKING STUPID!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom