Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play -- Fountain of Dreams

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Okay, first I have to admit... I had originally intended to do a "Let's Play -- Wasteland" thread. However, I think I played that game so much when it originally came out that I felt as though I would be cheating or, at least, as though I couldn't be an impartial player. I recalled the faux sequel, though, which used essentially the same engine and that I had never played to any significance.

Fountain of Dreams is not an especially well-reviewed game, generally considered to be a rush job that tried unsuccessfully to latch onto the coat-tails of Wasteland. What I do recall of playing the game originally is that it is much shorter and gets very hard very fast. My hope is that the shorter length of the game will allow me to actually see this thread through to completion. (I am going to keep a bit of a "buffer" of content and space it out a bit, so the thread doesn't dry up completely.)

So, without further ado...

fod000ly4.png

(Now, any game that features a pink flamingo on the splash screen has *got* to be worth playing!)

First order of business is to create some characters. FoD is, like Wasteland, a party-based game. A quick read-through of the manual prompted me to start with three characters: a Vigilante (Virgil):
fod001om1.png

... a Hood (Shade):
fod002lb5.png

... and a Medic (Doc):
fod003jh2.png

Available professions that I did not use are Survivalist and Mechanic.

There is room for 5 party members in total, and the manual specifies that you can begin with up to 3 player characters (leaving room for 2 NPCs). Thus, we're ready to roll.

The game begins in a relatively small area, which I am to understand is my family's "estate" of sorts:
fod004ni9.png

The party is represented by the vaguely person-holding-a-spear-shaped icon in the middle. The large building directly to the north is the "house" (which allows you to store and retrieve additional party members), while the smaller one to the northwest is the family doctor (who performs healing for free, assuming you can get back home in time).

But what in the hell am I supposed to be doing now? Quite honestly, the manual is a bit vague. Here's what I've got to go on:

OBJECTIVE

Who knows why you want to clean up this crazy island? Maybe your parents were
eaten alive by a pack of mutant rats; maybe rampaging Clowns put your humble
village to the torch and destroyed thke lives of the plain honest folk you grew
up with; maybe radioactivity gives you the low down lonesome blues; or maybe you
just want to end the chaos so you can lead a safer, saner life. The real
question is, how do you do it?

Hm... a bit shaky. But nevertheless, let's see if we can make a game out of it!

... more to follow.

MisterStone

Arcane
Sweet... I've always wondered about that game but never thought to play it now that abandonware is easier to get than snapping one's fingers. Maybe I will play too, if'n it doesn't suck too bad.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Allot of the pictures aren't showing up for me.

And just after I type that they show up. Oh well, nm.

Baldr

Novice
I look forward to seeing how bad this game truly this. Thanks for putting yourself through the pain.

mondblut

Arcane
I tried it twice, had some fun in main city, but couldn't survive a single battle in Clowns compound.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Well, it would seem that there are some people around to talk to, so I'll start off with the beatnik-looking fellow to the east:
fod005bv6.png

fod006fb5.png

...okay, some pithy, trivial advice. But it's good to hear that he and my brother would be willing to join up.

And, in fact, it doesn't take him very long. Here's what he brings to the fight:
fod007dr1.png

fod008ub8.png

Virgil and Shade come equipped with .22 pistols at this point, so he's packing considerably more firepower. Not a bad guy to have on board. I did chat a bit with my "kid brother", but decided that he'd probably be more of a burden than a help now, so I left him at home. He wasn't too happy.

We left home, headed southeast towards Miami.
fod017my8.png

Along the way, we ran into some Dobermutants and had our first real fight. We came out on top, but already something was... different... about Ignatz afterwards.
fod013np7.png

Ah, my first mutation. Here's what the book says:

Stun/Shriek causes paralysis by word of mouth. A brief aria from the
possessor of this mutation will cause all hostile creatures within
earshot to be stunned momentarily and effectively paralyzed. Stun will
affect one hostile group in a combat, Shriek will affect multiple
groups.
Okay, could come in handy, I guess. One of the drawbacks of having a mutation, though, is that it will periodically "act up". When this happens, the character is reduced to a CON of 5 and will not heal on his or her own. This is a bummer, but at least the doc at my house does free healing.

Without further incident, we arrive at beautiful downtown Miami...
fod011yu1.png

Yikes.

It was nighttime when I arrived, so the clothing and weapon store were closed. I did find a couple interesting people to talk to, who didn't seem to mind talking to armed strangers in the middle of the night.
fod014gl0.png

fod015vh8.png

Right. Looks like a potential ally in the making, if I can put up with her weird voodoo mumbo-jumbo and find whatever this Nostrum is.

Next, I found another voodoo practitioner who was able to offer me some information about the various groups that dwell within the city.
fod012xr5.png

He wasn't interested in joining the likes of me, but he did offer some helpful advice on who to trust (basically nobody), and who to watch out for (basically everybody).

Looks like it's time to work on getting some additional firepower and combat experience.
fod009vo4.png

Fortunately, wandering around the city unsupervised is a good way to attract the attention of ne'er-do-wells. I'll spare you the details of some assorted fights, in between trips back home to see the good doctor.

In my travels throughout Miami, I managed to run across the Miami PD. The Obeah folks I checked with earlier didn't think too highly of the police, but they seemed willing to work with me. Or at least, to let me die trying to do their job for them.
fod016uc0.png

I answered in the affirmative, and they dropped some heavy firepower on me. In fact, given the limited skills of my party, I had little immediate use for most of it.

A quick trip to the weapon store, and I felt a bit better equipped to fight off the tropical bad guys.
fod019zx4.png

Oh, you may have noticed. Looks like Shade ran into some radiated beastie that didn't agree with her.
fod018mq6.png

Chameleon is a limited form of shapechanging whereby one or more parts
of the body can be altered. Such a change can be as minute and
intricate as changing one's finger or palmprints.
So, the plot thickens. Again, apart from the whole "not healing" thing that shows up every so often, this might be something handy to have as well.

... more to come.

MisterStone

Arcane
mirrorshades said:
... more to come.

Kewel, so it uses the actual Wasteland engine? I gotsta try this out. It looks like someone decided to cash in on both the popularity of Wasteland as well as the late '80s surfer/day glo colors fad... pretty unique combination!

MisterStone

Arcane
Wellz, I gave this a shot myself. Verdict: nigh unplayable. The quests seem to be broken, the game unbalanced, the worldmap is tiny and appears to have all of three locations (I guess maybe more will appear?). It is pretty much a wash... but maybe I'll keep hackin away at it. I wonder what the story behind this shitfest of a game made with the Wasteland engine is.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Binary said:
Binary said:
OK you have to be a brave guy to try a Fountain of Dreams LP

MisterStone said:
Wellz, I gave this a shot myself. Verdict: nigh unplayable.

QED ;)
Well, I haven't given up yet... I actually have one or two more posts worth of content ready to go. (It's hard to find time to both play and keep track of it for posterity.)

Yeah, it is a small game world that gets hard really quickly. I think they were intending to make it "Wasteland 2" or something, but either lost interest or lost money and just rushed it to market. A shame really, it's a cool setting and the mutations are kind of a neat element.

Will try to get another post or two in this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom