Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Lets play a jrpg that doesn't suck! [Saga Frontier]

Which of these clowns should be all heroic and kill a few hundred random people for justice?

• Red - The power ranger out for revenge. Zordon would be so envious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue - He's on a quest to kill the only person who can save the world.

• Riki - He's a moron trying to summon captain Planet.

• T260G - Kind of like the Terminator, only sent forward in time with much better weaponry.

• Lute - Totally going to be a famous rock star some day. Posthumously for reasons not related to his

• Aselleus - Being immortal just isn't good enough for kids these days, they have to be all human and

• Emelia - The old tired cliche of a supermodel thrown in jail and breaking out to join a terrorist gr

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Mostly because I might actually finish it, unlike certain nameless people with bad taste in avatars.

Anyways, the game I'm going to play is Saga Frontier. Since it's broken into 7 scenarios, and they each take about 8 hours to finish for someone who knows what they're doing and isn't cheating his ass off, chances are I can finish at least one for sure within a week or so. If people like it, I'll do some more.

Anyways, against any sane judgement, I'm letting you losers pick the character I'll play first some of them have basically no story, but I can fill in their games with sidequest stuff anyways. I'll throw up a picture of the characters in a few minutes for those graphics whores who want to pick based on who has the most effeminate costume.

Untitled.jpg

There we go. If you can figure out which names go to the other characters ask Andhaira for help.

Major Korz

Novice
I can't remember how many hours I've spent playing this game while I was still in school. Somehow this thread brings back some sweet childhood memories.

I'm a little skeptical about the 8 hour playthrough though. If I recall correctly, some bosses are insanely hard and require many hours of "farming" before they can be beaten.

I strongly suggest picking either the bot or Blue for a let's play thread because, as far as I can remember, their stories are at least moderately interesting. Red and Rikki are bad choices for your first playthrough as they are hard as hell. Personally I recomend picking Blue. There are some very nice mage duels in his story.

Major Korz

Novice
The bot's story is also quite entertaining. Where else can you have a drunk samurai beating the shit out of everyone with a metal pipe for a party member?

Major Korz

Novice
You get to know that only in the ending of his story. So it's basically a spoiler.

Binary

Liturgist
This is Saga Frontier right? So is it good?

Are you playing it on an emulator or something?

Major Korz

Novice
It's quite meh for an RPG: no C&C, no dialog options (if I remember correctly). The presence of stats is the only reason this game can be called an RPG. But despite all that it was quite enjoyable, at least for me.

Murk

Arcane
this game ruled, i vote blue but definitely don't mind robodeath

Murk

Arcane
yep, your skills and stats improve by using said skills and stats

Major Korz said:
It's quite meh for an RPG: no C&C, no dialog options (if I remember correctly). The presence of stats is the only reason this game can be called an RPG. But despite all that it was quite enjoyable, at least for me.

this too is true, i didn't mind it at all though. it was like an updated version of live-a-live, which while very simple and a step away from playing itself, was pretty neat

Damned Registrations

I'll be damned, you guys actually picked a good starting character. Was worried Lute would win or something. The robot actually has my favourite story line.

Someone mentioned CT, makes me want to go back and try that. Last time I tried to play it on emulator it had a lot of slowdown, which was really retarded. Yeah, this is an jrpg, so there isn't much in the way of C&C. There is a bit though, in terms of party recruiting andsome sidequests. Anyways, I'll get this fired up now.

Major Korz

Novice
Awwwww... I was hoping Blue would win. I guess we won't see any mage duels after all. At least when you play the bot's story don't forget to take a screenshot of the scene with the rope, the bot and Gen with a metal pipe.

Murk

Arcane
AzraelCC said:
I'm curious, is there a jrpg with actual C&C?

kind of, but not in the sense that we're used to in western rpgs, their games focus a lot more on the storytelling than the role playing aspects

some games i can think of off the top of my head would be Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger (lesser extent), and i think a lot of the never-officially-translated-to-english console RPGs had 'em (Dark Law?)

Damned Registrations

WARNING!
WARNING!
WARNING!

SHIELD FAILURE IS IMMINENT!

First.jpg

Very well. Evacuate all personnel.

This is goodbye, captain.

----

Evacuation complete. Diverting all power to engines. Ship can now resume mission.

Starboard 120.

*BOOM*

(Or maybe not)

Well, that was an interesting glimpse into the past. The very first thing you see upon waking up is...

2.jpg

This fucker. Well gee, don't you just want to lay back down and die? Don't worry, this is the only time you ever see anything like this in the entire game. He was wandering around through the junkyard looking for bottle caps or something.

You next wake up here:

3.jpg

It seems they've replaced your high tech robo body with a tin can with no balls. Yes, the octopus is the engineer fixing you.

Thyme.jpg
"This looks so bad! And after finally finding a living core.

Octopus: Thats how it goes, I had to make this with scrap parts.

Rose.jpg
Was the core really alive?

Octopus: See for yourself. There, you can move it.

(Failed screenshot of frankenstein lightning here.)

Rose.jpg
It looks dead. Thank God, dead ones bring more money.

Thyme.jpg
You were thinking of selling it sis?

Rose.jpg
Of course, even the worst core can bring in over a month's rent.

4.jpg

T260G.jpg
Confirming status of moving parts:

Attack: Deplorable.

5.jpg

T260G.jpg
Confirming next mission: Unable

Rose.jpg
It must have been a combat model.

Thyme.jpg
A combat model? Yessss! I finally hit the jackpot!

(Yeah he sure looks badass...)

T260G.jpg
Malfunction: Repairs needed.

Now we can walk around.
6.jpg

Thyme.jpg
I don't know.

T260G.jpg
I'll call you: Sir Thyme.

Thyme.jpg
Heh heh, Sir Thyme. That's weird.
Rose.jpg
No more talk Thyme. Go find some more scrap parts!
T260G.jpg
State your rank and class miss.
Thyme.jpg
Hehe, he called you miss.
Rose.jpg
Shut up up Thyme! I'm Rosemary, Thyme's (evil step-) sister. You can call me Rose.
T260G.jpg
.. .. Are you the officer in charge of Sir Thyme?

Cthulu Wannabe: Haha. something like that.
Thyme.jpg
Stop teasing Uncle Taco.
That's Uncle Taco, he knows a lot about mecs and machines. In fact, he assembled you.

T260G.jpg
You are an engineer, Sir Uncle Taco?
Thyme.jpg
Sir Uncle Taco! Now theres a classy name.

Sir Uncle Taco: Don't put 'Sir' in front of everything. Just call me Taco.

Rose.jpg
What is your name
T260G.jpg
Model T 260 - ID Number 7074-8782-1099

Rose.jpg
What'll we call him?

Now we put in our name. However, I'm going to use the default, because we don't get what we type in, we get...

Thyme.jpg
How about T260?

Sir Taco: Make sure you put a G on the end. After all, I assembled him.

Thyme.jpg
Then it's T260G.

(Nothing so enjoyable as putting in an actual name to have G tacked on the end and restarting to go through all the cutscenes and rename yourself. Fucking octopus.)
7.jpg

As you can see, we having astonishingly high stats. Or would if we were playing, say Fallout. In this game We'll get eaten alive by mutant hedgehogs. At least Sir Uncle Taco dug a bazooka out of the scrap for us. You know, so we can defend ourselves from hedgehogs.

After heading outside...

Thyme.jpg
My sister's always telling me not to wander around alone anymore. But now I'm not alone! (I have an untested war machine dug out of a junkyard to protect me!) Lets go on an expedition. We're the Thyme expedition team! And I'm the Captain.

T260G.jpg
Yes, Sir Thyme.

Thyme.jpg
No! Captain. You know, like Captain Kirk.

T260G.jpg
Yes, Captain Thyme.
8.jpg

Thyme isn't a party member, so he doesn't understand the desperate need to break into the houses of total strangers. In the lower left you can see a skeleton abusing his robot slave. I'm an evil looking mec, but the walking dead are upstanding citizens of this immense junkyard. (The region we're in right now is actually called Junk, and only accessible from starting this story. It's such a worthless shitball nobody else would ever come here.) Overhearing some other people talking to eachother reveals that this place is a shitball, and some guy named Caballero is important, or something.

Thyme.jpg
Here is where I dug you up!

9.jpg

T260G.jpg
Exact directives cannot be determined because of memory failure. Must confirm exact details of mission.

Thyme.jpg
Sounds tough.

10.jpg

For reference, they're standing at the edge of this crater. Going down further into it, our intrepid scrap heap determines from the state of the stuff he was pulled out of, he's been out for 20-40k years.

Next, we head over to the battle arena in the lower right, like any properly suicidal robot would.

Thyme informs us that he's not supposed to come here and his sister will have his balls if we tell her he brought us her to get us killed. Go figure. We head over to the bar and meet our best friend Gen.

11.jpg

Gen tells us that since it's a combat model, it's gotta be strong, so we should go fight and he'll bet on us. Sounds like great adivce! Who'd have thought drunk people could be so helpful? (You can't tell from the picture, but the piano in the corner is playing itself because it kicks ass.)

Following Gen's advice, I talk to the puddle of gelatinous oozein the other room and tell him I'm a participant. And off I go into my first fight, no waiting required.

12.jpg

Good thing explosives only have an effective radius of about 2 feet or everyone in this shitty arena would have died from that rocket. After a good punch in the bumper to finish it off, we win and suck the brains out of it. (I shit you not, everything in this game except the humans are vampiric. Mechs suck data out of the fallen enemy of choice to learn skills.) Since I fought a flailing go cart however, I don't learn anything. A couple more fights (Only one of which I win) Earns a bit of cash and some more scrap to equip. I'm now weilding the awesome might of a broken bumper and some Junk.

Heading back home Taco repairs our glorious swag into a working bumper and some kind of junk helmet. Now I'm sure none can stand before me. A pity I lost the third fight, I think that guy dropped a gun or something.

Oh noe! I forgot about our drunken buddy. Heading back to go see him, Rosemary is waiting for us. Well. That would have made sense if I hadn't forgotten about Gen I suppose. Or If I'd been returning to Taco and back to the arena multiple times.

She rips into us and warns us that I might break, being a useless heap of scrap. Then we hear gunfire and go outside to investigate. Seems some crazed robot is in the arena threatening to kill anyone who disobeys Mr Caballero.

Rose.jpg
Knock it off! We're not afraid of you or Caballero! T260G, go get him!
(WHAT?)
Thyme.jpg
He can't handle that monster!
Rose.jpg
What about it, can you beat him?

.. ..
T260G.jpg
Repeating Command: Attack Enemy Mec.

With that, we zip off into the arena at about mach 30. I really wish I knew how to alter the frame rate on this stupid emulator. At least the game itself has a two button 1 second quicksave that works anywhere so I don't need the keyboard to save.

13.jpg

Having bought some repairkits when I went into town, this fight is a piece of cake, and I rip a handgun off the enemy corpse somehow.

However, apparently being filled with twin vulcan rounds isn't good for me, because after the battle I'm on the table and S.U.T. is fixing me up again.

Rose.jpg
Hey, you're pretty good. Even if you don't look like a Terminator...
Thank you Miss Rose. Where is Captain Thyme?
Rose.jpg
He makes you call him that? He'll never grow up. He went to find some parts for you.

Well, now that we're free of the fleshbag we can break into all those houses we couldn't before. However, theres nothing of particular interest inside them. So, I head over the the arena, since Thyme is probably with our good drunken buddy Gen.

Rosemary interrupts us before we can talk though.

Rose.jpg
They've kidnapped Thyme! T260G, do something!
T260G.jpg
Something?
Rose.jpg
Go help Thyme!
T260G.jpg
Roger, Ms. Rose.
Drunken Hobo: I'll go too.
Rose.jpg
Really Gen?
Punk: Like that drunk will be of any use.
Bartender: Gen, please pay the bill before you go.
Rose.jpg
Later! I'll take care of the bill. Please Hurry!

With that, Gen heads out the door with Rose, screwing over the bartender.

Tune in next time, when drunk people prove their awesomeness!

Major Korz

Novice
Gen is one of the most awesome characters I've ever encountered in a video game.

deuxhero

Arcane
next thing you should do is have your PCs attack eachother in random encounters (assumeing the SaGA system works like FF2)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom