Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Planescape: Torment.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
((Sure, most of you have played this game. But I'm still LPing it for 3 reasons:

1. Some visitors or newbies might not have played it yet and want to see how it is.
2. I'm using a fix pack, tweak pack, and restoration mod all found here. Since these mods were only released earlier this month, I'm guessing most of you haven't played with them yet.
3. I haven't played past the Tomb of the Nameless One yet. So although I know the Hive like the back of my hand, the rest of the game will be uncharted waters. (Although I have read plot spoilers)

Intro
Update 1: Talking with a floating skull
Update 2: Killing zombies with medical supplies
Update 3: Hitting on the ladies (zombies)
Update 4: Talking to Dhall
Update 5: Going on our first fetch quest
Update 6: Mutilating our body in multiple ways

So, let's begin.

Screen51.jpg

Planescape: Torment.

Screen52.jpg

My character is a fighter-type who has good wisdom and OK intelligence, which will unlock some conversation options, but not all of them. The tweak pack adds some armor for fighters, so hopefully he won't be too gimped compared to mages.))

I must have been dead.

I woke up on a hard slab, the sharp ridges cutting into my back. Dried blood and guts were everywhere; judging from my scars, they must have been mine.

But how did I live through whatever, or whomever, gave me the scars?

And how is that skull floating towards me?

Screen54.jpg

morte.jpg
"Me?" The skull seemed indignant. "How about *you* start, scabbie? Who are you?"
tno.jpg
"I asked you first, skull."
morte.jpg
"Yeah, and I asked you second. What's your name?"
tno.jpg
"You first, skull."
morte.jpg
"Man, you're tighter than a wet rope. All right, all right... *I'll* be the nice guy here... me, I'm Morte. Morte Rictusgrin. Now what name is unfortunate enough to have you as its owner?"
tno.jpg
"I don't know... I can't seem to remember anything."
Screen58.jpg

morte.jpg
"Don't know what Sensates are? Oh, are *you* in for a treat! They're this group of bashers who are all about experiencing all the planes have to offer, right, including... well, forget it for now. What about those scars?"
tno.jpg
"Scars?"
morte.jpg
"It's like some basher decided to paint you with a knife. You're scarred all over... even on your back, 'cept..." He paused. "Say, you got a whole tattoo gallery on your back, berk. Spells out something..."
tno.jpg
"What does it say?"
morte.jpg
"I know it feels like you've been drinking a few kegs of Styx wash, but you need to CENTER yourself. Among your possessions is a JOURNAL that'll shed some light on the dark of the matter. PHAROD can fill you in on the rest of the chant, if he's not in the dead-book already."
morte.jpg
"Don't lose the journal or we'll be up the Styx again. And whatever you do, DO NOT tell anyone WHO you are or WHAT happens to you, or they'll put you on a quick pilgrimage to the crematorium. Do what I tell you: READ the journal, then FIND Pharod."
tno.jpg
"No wonder my back hurts. Do you know someone named Pharod?"
morte.jpg
"Nobody I know. Then again, I don't know many people. Still, some berk's got to know where to find this guy... once we get out of here, that is."
tno.jpg
"Did I have a journal with me when I was lying here?"
morte.jpg
"No... you were stripped to the skins when you arrived here. 'Sides, looks like you got enough of a journal written on your body.
tno.jpg
"How do I get out of here?"
Screen64.jpg

Screen65.jpg

Screen66.jpg

morte.jpg
"From where I'm sitting, it's obvious you need to get out of here. Me, I can afford to wait. The only danger *I'm* in is dying of boredom. We could lend each other a hand."
tno.jpg
"You don't have any hands. What could *you* do to help me?"
Screen68.jpg

morte.jpg
"Awright then... now, c'mon, let's give this place the laugh. The doors outta here are locked, so we'll need the key. Chances are, one of the walking corpses in the room has it."
tno.jpg
"Walking corpses?"
morte.jpg
"Yeah, the Mortuary keepers use dead bodies as cheap labor. The corpses are dumb as stones, but they're harmless, and won't attack you unless you attack first."
tno.jpg
"So I should attack one of these corpses and loot it for the key?"
morte.jpg
"Well, before you do that, arm yourself first. I think there's a scalpel on one of the shelves around here."
tno.jpg
"All right, I'll look for one."
morte.jpg
"One last thing: Those corpses are slow as molasses, but getting punched by one of them is like being kissed by a battering ram. If they start getting an edge on you, remember you can RUN, and they can't. Use it to keep some distance if you need to recover."
tno.jpg
"All right. Thanks for the advice."

Journal Screens for this update:
Screen72.jpg

Screen73.jpg

Screen74.jpg

Screen75.jpg

Screen76.jpg

Music for this update:
http://pigmystrong.com/wp-content/uploa ... -title.mp3
http://pigmystrong.com/wp-content/uploa ... rtuary.mp3

Lumpy

Arcane
So, uh, are you planning to retype all of Torment here?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
OK, that was a lot. Seems like I've got to find out who I am, and why I lost my memory. But first I have to find Pharod and my old journal. But, before I can do that, I have to leave the mortuary while avoiding the "Dustmen" who apparently want to cremate me. But before that, I have to find a key to get out of here. And before THAT, I have to find a scalpel so I can kill a zombie (kill a zombie?) to get the key.

At least I have a purpose in life.

Screen77.jpg

No key or scalpel here, just some bandages.

Screen78.jpg

And the next drawer over has a scalpel. It was time to go zombie hunting.

Screen79.jpg

morte.jpg
"I WILL be helping you. Good advice is hard to come by."
tno.jpg
"I meant help in attacking the *corpse*."
morte.jpg
"Me? I'm a romantic, not a soldier. I'd just get in the way."
tno.jpg
"When I attack that corpse, you better be right there with me or you'll be the next thing that I plunge this scalpel in."
morte.jpg
"Eh... all right. I'll help you."
tno.jpg
"I'm glad we understand each other."
morte.jpg
"Time to introduce these corpses to the second death, then..."
tno.jpg
"Let's go."

((Being a low-res, 2D game, Planescape: Torment used textual descriptions of objects in addition to showing them on screen. I'll try to include as many of these as I can in the LP))

Screen85.jpg

Screen86.jpg

Screen87.jpg

Screen88.jpg

Screen89.jpg

Screen90.jpg

So I began to look for a zombie with a key, armed with a scalpel and a skull that, given the fact that he's dead, should probably talk quite a bit less.

The first zombie I came across was a shambling corpse that looked like it had been dead for several years. The skin along its forehead had been peeled back. revealing its chalk-white skull. Someone had chiseled the number "569" into the exposed bone.
Screen92.jpg

morte.jpg
"Uh, chief... they can't hear you, all right? They're dead."
tno.jpg
"But you're dead. And you're talking to me."
morte.jpg
"Yeah, but *I'm* special. Death couldn't kill my zest for life. These corpses here..." Morte rolled his eyes. "They probably didn't have much personality to begin with."
tno.jpg
"I... see."
morte.jpg
"Look, chief... watching you try to swap the chant with these corpses isn't doing much for my morale. Let's leave the corpse talk for the barmies, all right?"
tno.jpg
"All right, then. Let's go."

I came up to another corpse.
Screen98.jpg

This corpse looked like the one with the key. It was holding onto it tightly in its left hand, its thumb and forefinger locked around it in a deathgrip. It looked like I'd need to hack the corpse's hand off to free the key.

Ignoring what Morte said about corpse-chat, I said,
tno.jpg
"I need that key, corpse... looks like you're not long for this world."

Screen100.jpg

I'm not sure if it was my intimidating remark or my incredible skills with a scalpel that insured my victory over the zombie, but whatever it was, I had won, and now carried a way out of this strange place.

I opened the gate and entered... another room. Was there no end to this place?
Screen102.jpg

morte.jpg
"Wh - are you *serious*? Look, chief, these dead chits are the last chance for a couple of hardy bashers like us. We need to be *chivalrous*... no hacking them up for keys, no lopping their limbs up, things like that."
tno.jpg
"Last chance? What are you *talking* about?"
morte.jpg
"Chief, THEY'RE dead, WE'RE dead... see where I'm going? Eh? Eh?"
tno.jpg
"No... no I don't, actually."
morte.jpg
"Chief, we already got an opening line with these limping ladies. We've *all* died at least once: we'll have something to talk about. They'll appreciate men with our kind of death experience."
tno.jpg
"Wait... didn't you say before that I'm *not* dead?"
Screen106.jpg

tno.jpg
"All right, I'll try and remember that."
morte.jpg
"Look, chief. It's obvious you're still a little addled after your kiss with death, so I got two bits of advice for you: one, if you've got questions, *ask* me, all right?"
tno.jpg
"All right, if I have any questions, I'll ask you."
morte.jpg
"Second, if you're *half* as forgetful as you seem to be, start writing stuff down - whenever you come across something that *might* be important, jot it down so you don't forget."
tno.jpg
"If I had that journal I was *supposed* to have with me, I'd do that."
morte.jpg
"Start a new one, then, chief. No loss. There's plenty of parchment and ink around here to last you."
tno.jpg
"Hmmmm. All right. It couldn't hurt... I'll make a new one, then."

New journal entries:

Screen110.jpg

Screen111.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
So, uh, are you planning to retype all of Torment here?

Just most of it, as I'm leaving some of it in screenshots. This guide did all of it, and came out at 479 pages, without the Unfinished Business mod I'm using. Just gives you a sense of how big this LP will get.

EDIT: OK, typing takes forever, so screenshots it is.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I played Planescape: Torment once. I got down to the basement where some thing attacked me. I managed to get through that but then ended up in a part where zombies were after me. I got bored of the combat and meant to play it again later. I didn't.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Screen112-1.jpg

Screen113-1.jpg

I half-heartedly expected a response; Morte can't be the only talking deader, can he?

Screen114.jpg

Fascinating conversation to be had with a corpse.

Screen115.jpg

Morte, shut up. Please.

Screen116.jpg

What, she can't hear me or anything.

Screen117.jpg

"Where's my muh-muh-memories?" The skull has wit, if nothing else.

Screen118-1.jpg

Trying yet again.

Screen119.jpg

And failing yet again.

Screen121-1.jpg

Maybe he likes walking that way.

Screen122.jpg

The Dustmen? Or the RULE OF THREE ILLUMINATI?

Screen123.jpg

Does it have something to do with the number 3?

Screen124.jpg

Screen125.jpg

You know, I usually don't put much stock in the words of necrophiles, even dead ones. Just sayin'.

Screen126.jpg

But the rule is important enough to have its own journal entry.

In front of me I saw a corpse shuffling from slab to slab, bandaging the corpses lying there. The number "396" was carved into his left temple, and his lips were sealed closed. I noticed the corpse was carrying a roll of bandages in its hand, and they looked usable.

Screen128-1.jpg

Screen129.jpg

It's a fair point, why DO zombies need bandages?

Screen130.jpg

Hmph.

Screen131-1.jpg

Oh, look, a book. Something to pass the time with if I'm really trapped here forever.

Screen132-1.jpg

Screen133-1.jpg

Screen134-1.jpg

Well, I just got here, so I'm probably on the last page. That's no use, then.

Screen135-1.jpg

Screen136-1.jpg

These fist irons I found just seem, I don't know, *better* than the scalpel. I think I'll use them.

Screen137-1.jpg

Screen138.jpg

So that's why there are no names in the logbook, I guess.

Screen139.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Dhall, the great and terrible.

Screen140-1.jpg

Screen141-1.jpg

morte.jpg
"Whoa, chief! What are you doing?"
tno.jpg
"I was going to speak with this scribe. He might know something about how I got here."

Screen143.jpg

Screen144.jpg

Well, there's no turning back. I wasn't going to trust Morte over my own gut though, not now and not ever.
Screen145.jpg

Then you know that the skull's a dick.

Screen146.jpg

Screen147.jpg

Finally, I can get answers from someone intelligent.

Screen148.jpg

Screen149.jpg

tno.jpg
"Tell me about the Mortuary."
Screen151.jpg

tno.jpg
"Shadow of life?"
Screen153.jpg

So we're dead, and our goal in "life" is to die. You are quite the cheery person, Dhall.
Screen154.jpg

Sounds like Oblivion. Why would anyone want that?
dhall.jpg
"Is it worse than remaining in this shadow of what life once was? I think not."
tno.jpg
"How did I get here?"
Screen157-1.jpg

Screen158-1.jpg

Screen159-1.jpg

Screen160-1.jpg

Just tell me where he is, you lamp...person...elf...thing.
Screen161.jpg

Quit being condescending.
Screen162.jpg

Sounds like YOU know where to find him, and just aren't telling me.
Screen163.jpg

Knight of the Post? He's a mailman?
Screen164.jpg

I wasn't even close.
Screen165.jpg

Let me guess, you know where that is too, but you don't want me perpetuating this "cycle of misery"?
dhall.jpg
"A journal? If it was of any value, then it is likely it lies in Pharod's hands."
:facepalm: Thinking it was about time to leave this crazy old man, I asked,
tno.jpg
"Can you tell me how to get out of here?"
Screen168.jpg

So I am stuck after all. Might as well ask if he knows my name, then.
tno.jpg
"Do you know who I am?"
Screen170.jpg

Screen171.jpg

Screen172.jpg

Screen173.jpg

Screen174.jpg

tno.jpg
"You say that I have been here more than once. How is it that the Dustmen do not recognize me?"
Screen177.jpg

Hearing his coughing, I asked him if he was ill. He responded,
Screen180.jpg

Screen181.jpg

Whatever. Once I get out of this mortuary thing, I plan to do a little living. Have fun with your "True Death" and all.
As I turned to leave, Dhall spoke:
dhall.jpg
"Know this: I do not envy you, Restless One. To be reborn as you would be a curse that I could not bear. You must come to terms with it. At some point, your path will return you here..." Dhall coughed, the sound rattling in his throat. "It is the way of all things flesh and bone."
tno.jpg
"Then perhaps we shall meet again, Dhall."

New journal entry:

Screen184.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Did you really need 18 str?
Why not? The moment he leaves Ravel's maze, the game will plunge him into plenty of combat. Better to get through that stuff quickly, or the game will get really boring.

Korgan

Arbiter
Why the fuck aren't you going to play as a mage? The stats are the same that you need for dialogs and the spells are beautiful. FFS, that's the only smart choice!

Texas Red

Whiner
DarkUnderlord said:
I played Planescape: Torment once. I got down to the basement where some thing attacked me. I managed to get through that but then ended up in a part where zombies were after me. I got bored of the combat and meant to play it again later. I didn't.

You're unfit for command.

Here you have the greatest game and you're not playing it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only stats worth raising to 18 are Intelligence, Wisdom and, to a lesser extent, Charisma. Combat is simple enough, you're immortal anyways, you companions can do most of the fighting and when you play a mage those stats are the ones you'll actually need for combat spells. And they help you in dialogue.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
The farthest I ever got was to the "rich" part of the Hive (I guess?), where you run into a quest where you have to ask this warehouse fool to give you some crap, and then run back to this bandito dude to give him the stuff, where he then explains some story about some woman and I forgot the rest. Either way I couldn't finish the quest so I assumed it was broken.

I might try PS:T with this new pack stuff.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Making let's play of PS:T will require a huge effort and gigantic amount of writing and screenshots. It would be better to post screenshots and do some writing in the same time in order for the LP to flow smoother. A constant rolling of screens will get tiresome really soon. And don't show item descriptions and unimportant stuff, like finding common items. You should just show the key moments and the clever/lulzy dialogs.

Anyway, good luck.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
The only stats worth raising to 18 are Intelligence, Wisdom and, to a lesser extent, Charisma. Combat is simple enough, you're immortal anyways, you companions can do most of the fighting and when you play a mage those stats are the ones you'll actually need for combat spells. And they help you in dialogue.
Oh, Charisma can be as useful as Intelligence and Wisdom.

Moments where Charisma comes into play are far between, but there are big benefits to it.

Ravel gives you a special gift if you keep using your Charisma to flatter her. You get massive XP and a big raise to your stats from that.

Nordom can be upgraded with Charisma.

Charisma is especially useful in the Dead Nations. It lets you find a way to get inside the Silent King's room without fighting. It lets you know that Acaste is waiting to find out a weakness so that she can go on a murdering spree. You can tell her the secret of the Silent King so that she does go on her spree. (Even walkthroughs don't tell of this)

And without Charisma, one can't even hope to talk to Ojo The Leatherhead.

These are some of the situations I remember. I am sure there were more.

That, and there's the reduction in prices of goods offered by merchants and increase in the value of goods sold to them. Unlike alot of RPGs, in PS:T, money and loot are not as easy to come by, and this is an added benefit of Charisma.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
What does Ojo say to you when you have high charisma?
I believe he reveals his connection to the wererats. He tells that the hole in the wall is used for talking to a rat, and the rat bit him at some point. Perhaps this info helps in some quest, but I am not sure.

Helton

Arcane
Usually I wouldn't bother but this Let's Play is bad news. You'll ruin the game for yourself worrying about it and you'll ruin it for anyone who hasn't played it who bothers to read. And holy fuck you've barely stumbled out of the first room and you've written a novel. All around, just no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom