Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play NWN 2 (Renegade Edition)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Intro_1.jpg

There was a little girl that lived in a small village deep within the southern swamps of the Sword Coast. The town's name was West Harbor, her name was Rebecca. Rebecca wasn't a happy girl.

She was raised by a foster-father who didn't waste much of his attention on his parental duties or her ever growing desire for appreciation that resulted therefore. During her late teens, Rebecca tried to enlist in the local town militia but was rejected for several reasons and because of one moment of misfortune that left here ashamed and deeply embarrassed. She fled into the forest and disappeared only to make a sudden return several days later. Her eyes were the ones of a different woman.

Intro_2.jpg

Today, Rebecca 'Deaththumb' Anderson doesn't try to prove herself to anyone anymore. She knows that she is the best and no one is going to cramp her style. A self-proclaimed master of the martial-arts, she often runs into trouble with the authorities sometimes because of gang-brawls with the Mossfeld brothers,

Intro_3.jpg

other times because of her compulsion to shoot bottles in the back yard (hinting to a still unresolved foster-father/daughter issue) that has resulted in innocent bystanders getting hurt on several occasions.

Intro_5.jpg

She would at times abuse her friends by letting them anticipate in dangerous magical experiments for personal and public amusement.

Intro_4.jpg

What is most despicable however is her habit to kindle the criminal energy within children. She would proclaim in her defense that 'the kids have to learn something useful when they live in a town like this'.

Intro_6.jpg

In short, Rebecca is reckless, compulsive and rather small. And the people love her for it.

Intro_7.jpg

But there is a storm brewing in the dark heart of the swamps. An evil that is ready to consume all that is right and wrong. Soon it will be here and nothing is going to be the same again.

Intro_8.jpg

No, nothing will ever be the same.

Read the full story here!

Issue #1 - A Tale Begins (Part 1)
Issue #2 - A Tale Begins (Part 2)
Issue #3 - Simple Love
Issue #4 - Troubles at Fort Locke (Part 1)
Issue #5 - Troubles at Fort Locke (Part 2)
Issue #6 - Rise of the Lizardmen (Upbeat)
Issue #7 - Rise of the Lizardmen (Smackdown)
Bonus Issue: Riding on the Waves of Madness
NEW Issue #8 - Neverwinter Tales (Sidetracked)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
A halfling chosen one?! I'm not racist, but that's almost as bad as a black sheriff.

[/bullshit]

Good luck with this. Are you planning to go through both the OC and MotB?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The first pic is pure gold. Great start and I like the pace.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
Good luck with this. Are you planning to go through both the OC and MotB?

I would like to yes although to be honest I believe this LP is going to die somewhere on the road. I'll probably end up skipping a lot of the trivial side quests and combat (after playing so much ToEE, NWN 2 combat seems even more cramped than before) but there is still a lot of dialogue to cover, meaning work and work is not fun.

ghostdog said:

Fair warning, the pace is going to drop from this entry on since talking is involved.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Aye, it's not like that Torment LP, which barely went out of the first location.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is great. I was thinking of doing a NWN2 OC LP but this is vastly superior.

2 suggestions... Maybe play with the Charlies UI mod and Tony K's AI? Unless you are wanting to show how horrible the default GUI and AI in NWN2 is.

MOAR!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Ch0_1_ChapterLogo.jpg

Rebecca is roughly awakened by her war buddy Bevil (
PR_Belvin.jpg
), an upcoming star of the town militia and Blondie (
PR_Amie.jpg
), a lonesome orphan who is trying hard to stick with the wrong crowd.

Ch0_2_BevilEnter.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'How bad is it out there?'

PR_Belvin.jpg
(desperate)
'I'm not sure. They came pouring in from the swamp and started tearing the village apart!'

PR_Amie.jpg

'We'd better hurry. I saw some of them following us on our way here. They're likely to hit this house next.'

Indeed the tension is ever-present.

Ch0_3_Resting.jpg

There is no more time for words. Someone is knocking on the front door. They are here.

Ch0_4_FirstEncounter.jpg

The dark skin of the evildoers is a clear sign that West Harbor is attacked by creatures of the Underdark, a place where people tend to torture each other for fun. Still they don't stand a chance against Rebecca's mighty spin kick. Onwards!

Ch0_5_BrotherMerring.jpg

Incidentally a priest has established an emergency field hospital right in Rebecca's front yard which got totally ignored by those three burglars. He sends the gang to the bridge where a major fight is going on but not before he makes absolutely sure that they'll survive this tutorial area. *Bless*

Ch0_6_Blessing.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Showoff'

Hush, there comes more.

Ch0_7_MoreDwarves.jpg

Adrenaline is pumping. Here is the bridge. Rebecca's task: kill all Underdarkers that are trying to kill those invincible NPCs.

Ch0_8_WolveSummon.jpg

She succeeds despite all odds and is rewarded with not only a fan club but also an audience with General Georg, high commander of the militia although the last is more of a burden rather than a reward.

Ch0_9_Georg.jpg

Georg:
'I have no idea where these creatures came from or what they want, but the ones loose in the village are only the first wave... more are coming. A lot more.
If we're going to stop them, we need someone to rally the militia and meet them head-on.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(snarky)
'You're the 'leader' of this militia. Unless I'm in charge now?'

Georg:
'Don't question me, not now - this is more than any of us were expecting.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'If you say so.'

Georg:
'I can't leave the southern half of the village exposed, not while more attackers keep pouring in.
Now go - when you've gathered everyone you can, meet me at the wheat field south and west of here.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yes, sir.'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'We'd better search the town, try to gather who we can - and hope we can find enough still alive.'

They don't even have to search as there is already one of the Mossfeld brothers standing right next to the bridge. He got willingly ignored the whole time despite his bad condition.

Ch0_10_WardMossfeld.jpg

Ward Mossfeld:
'Come...come to gloat, Rebecca? Still... I took a bunch down before they got me...'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Ward Mossfeld - can barely see you through all this blood.'

Ward Mossfeld:
'Damn creatures... coming out of nowhere... my brother... my brother. Wyl. You've seen him?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Not yet - he's somewhere in the village. I'm sure.'

Ward Mossfeld:
'I.. if you can find him. Rebecca... please, he's my brother... but my wounds...'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'll just pretend you were dead when I got here.'

Ward Mossfeld:
'Wh...no! Hel...help. please.. I... unnnh...'

*Ward Mossfeld has died*

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 3 point(s) toward Evil.*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(Aside)
'Why does this always happen when I try to be funny?'

PR_Amie.jpg

'Ward!'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'Look at all the blood... I think... I think I'm going to be sick.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Let's just move on.'

Over the bridge it is then where more battle awaits.

Ch0_11_AcrossTheBridge.jpg

Rebecca bravely rescues a member of the militia from a band of rampaging mages and is about to investigate some strange lights ahead when she spots another militiaman, Ian, hiding in a dark corner.

Ch0_12_IanHarrman.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Georg needs all the militia to report to the wheat field to the west.'

Ian:
'What, you came to drag me out there to die? Not on your life - I'm staying right here!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Report to Georg, or I will break your legs, your arms and then your neck.'

Ian:
'But I... tried... to fight. There's so many of them - too many.'

You can't say that she didn’t warn him.

Ch0_13_IanSmackDown1.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Had a change of heart or do I have to replace the head?'

Ch0_14_IanSmackDown2.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Good. Now, back to those lights.'

What else could it be than an ultimate showdown between good/neutral and evil wizards?

Ch0_14_WizardFight1.jpg

The balding guy who recognizes the gang must be the good mage.

Ch0_15_WizardFight2.jpg

PR_Amie.jpg

'Master! Just hold on! We can help!'

Mandatory self-sacrifice imminent in ...3

Ch0_16_WizardFight3.jpg

PR_Gith.jpg

So the whelp seeks to test herself. How pathetic.

Ch0_17_WizardFight4.jpg

Blondie dies an agonizing death in a blaze of flames.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That's tragic... I guess.'

PR_Gith.jpg

'I shall waste no more time on this pitiful village. It is not here.'

Ch0_18_WizardFight5.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That's right! Just run away you coward! You just gave me the perfect excuse to beat you silly next time we'll meet.'

The spiders are easily disposed thanks to the (also invincible) mage. He will join the battle on the wheat field but advices Rebecca to gather some equipment from his house beforehand.
Another wounded Mossfeld is standing nearby.

Ch0_19_WylMossfeld.jpg

Wyl Mossfeld:
'Come...come to gloat, Rebecca? Still... I took a bunch down before they got me...'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I get the odd sensation of déjà vu here.'

Wyl Mossfeld:
'Please stick to the script.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Right, sorry.. *Ahem* Well, well, if it isn't Wyl Mossfeld, my dear friend.'

Wyl Mossfeld:
'I can still make it.. but my vision's getting all cloudy.. and can't seem to stand. Have you seen my brother Ward? He...'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Oh, Ward's dead - died right when I got to him, actually.'

Wyl Mossfeld:
'Wh-? No! Not... not Ward! Gods, if only I had gotten to him in time!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(Sincere)
'Hold on, Wyl - let me go find Brother Merring (the priest dude we've met), he may help.'

A few minutes pass.

Wyl Mossfeld:
'You came back! Did.. did you get help?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Wyl - listen. Merring gave me these herbs to staunch the bleeding.'

Wyl Mossfeld:
'Thank you, Rebecca.. I know you may not like me much, but for what it's worth, thanks.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That's alright, balance in all things, you know.'

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 3 point(s) toward Good.*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(Aside)
'Yes, balance.'

They realize that there is still light burning in one of the houses. In their quest to find more meat for the grinder, they knock.

Ch0_20_StubbornDoor.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Georg needs all hands at the southwestern wheat field - now.'

Door:
'I'm not going out there. I'll be cut down in seconds. And I'm not letting them inside to loot this place, not while I'm still standing.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Come out now, or I'll break this door down, then I'll break you. (Gee, I really need some new lines)'

Door:
'All right... all right. Hold on...'

The voice finally lets them in, revealing a whole mansion filled with luxury.

Ch0_21_InsideFirstHouse.jpg

Door:
'All right, you're here, so just keep your head down, and if any come in, we'll deal with them.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'm still here to tell you to report to Georg, now.'

Door:
'What? The hells I will! I'm not going anywhere!'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'People are dying - and many homes are burning. If you don't go, you'll be dead either way.'

Door:
'But.. but if I abandon all this.. I won't make it through this season. Everything I have is in my chest.. everything.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I swear we will do what we can to protect your belongings.'

Door:
'Very well.. I'll report to Georg, see how I can help... if only to protect my home, and this village.
But... but I spent all season saving for a run to Highcliff. And now everything is ruined..'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'We'll join you there. Let's go.'

Rebecca and Bevil watch the weeping old man leave.

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 1 point(s) toward Chaotic.*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'C'mon, we loot this place.'

Ch0_22_ChestBusr.jpg

Rebecca heeds to the advice of the mage and robs his house as well. She finds a rare book which way of expression is rather confusing to her.

Ch0_23_GameLore.jpg

They follow the road, heal some more people and rescue even more people. It is depressing for Rebecca to think that all the townsfolk who aren’t even able to stand up for themselves are going to defeat a whole invasion from the Underdark. That is the point when they stumble upon a wounded gray dwarf.

Ch0_24_DyingDwarf.jpg

GDwarf:
'Heh,... I've killed three of your surfacers before they took me down... and the ones I killed? They screamed one by one.. begged me to spare them.
My hands are drenched now in their blood now. If you have come to kill me now, so be it - but it will not get their lives back.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I really don't have time for this bullshit right now.'

GDwarf: (Yells after her)
'You...even should you defeat us... here.. you'll not last long...'

*GDwarf dies a lonely death*

The dwarf has made Rebecca concerned. Could there be a slim chance for defeat? It is always good to have a backdoor out, just in case.

Ch0_24_Escape1.jpg

No, there is no escape. This is a clear-cut last stand scenario.

Ch0_25_Escape2.jpg

Georg is calling to arms. The second wave is coming.

Next issue.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
You probably realized that I've switched resolution mid-game, since my monitor creates some really unpleasant sounds in lower settings, and the text is a lot harder to read because of it. Is it bearable enough for you lots or would you say that it's necessary switching again?

Jaesun said:
2 suggestions... Maybe play with the Charlies UI mod and Tony K's AI? Unless you are wanting to show how horrible the default GUI and AI in NWN2 is.

I don't know. I still got this 'pure blood' fetish going on inside my head. Must be a German thing. I guess I will be content with playing the martyr on this playthrough.

Imbecile

Arbiter
just started playing this myself, before moving onto motb. Should make interesting viewing. Oh - and the thief I've encountered is reeaally annoying.

Murk

Arcane
i imagine pussycat is one of the few people here who's actually capable of finishing an LP.

your run of ToEE was very well done sir, i will be glad to follow this as well.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mikayel said:
i imagine pussycat is one of the few people here who's actually capable of finishing an LP.
*butthurt* Hey hey hey, finishing TOEE and finishing FF7 are two very different things, bitch. *butthurt*

And I WILL finish FF7. Eventually.

The resolution is fine over here, pussycat. And even though we won't know the difference, you must play vanilla NWN2. You can start a modded NWN2 LP after this! :P

edit: Is. Are. Goddamn grammar.

Murk

Arcane
^ fucking hop to it already - we wanted to see your paris hilton LP but the forum you linked to required registration or something

just chop in the parts you romanced bishop so we can fap alreayd

@locue - i still <3===D you baby

Pussycat669

Liturgist
No! Please, anything but that! The dialogue screenshots alone were enough to convince me that you shouldn't touch that mod with a ten foot pole.

Also don't feel down Locue. I think it's worth its own mathematical equation how many LPs of worth must be created to outshine your one sole FF7 Thread (unfinished I mean).

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I do think I shall have to go home, sit in a hot bath and open a couple of veins. :cry:

edit: Keep this thread as vanilla as possible. You probably should install Tony's Tony Tone Toner mod though. I don't know what it's called. I've never bothered to mod NWN2 or otherwise improve the AI. Because I don't actually think that the major problem with NWN2's combat is the AI.

edit2: obviously, you should give a detailed report about how the mod makes a difference. If it makes a difference.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Ch0_26_Invasion1.jpg

Georg:
'They've reached the edge of the field!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Everyone, charge!'

*Epic Battle music commencing*

Ch0_27_Invasion2.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Is that all they've got? I'm running out of opponents here.'

Ch0_28_Invasion3.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Ah, much better.'

*More random acts of violence*

Ch0_29_Invasion4.jpg

Georg:
'Cyric's Blood! They're entering the Starling house. But if we don't hold the next wave off, the whole village will be overrun.'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'Let's go, Rebecca! If we hurry, we can stop them before they find the children!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'We can't let the next wave by. I'm staying here to help with the defense.'

Georg:
'We could use every sword. But the children...'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'You do what you think is right. I'm going in before anything can happen to my brother or sister.'

The fun continues without Bevil.

Ch0_30_Invasion5.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(burned out)
'Nothing against a good fight or anything but I could use a break.'

The militia defeats the remaining dark forces.

Georg:
'Thank the gods that's over. We would have not held them much longer-'

Ch0_31_Invasion6.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Please stop opening your mouth.'

Suddenly, Rebecca's foster-father and two mysterious bowmen appear out of nowhere.

Ch0_32_Invasion7.jpg

Everyone:
'It's the cavalry! We're saved!'

The forces of evil fail to withstand the combined might of these three archers. Soon, the battle is won but victory comes with a terrible price.

Ch0_33_Invasion8.jpg

Confusion and bafflement runs rampant through the gathered Harbormen. Rebecca is taken aside by her foster-father during the heat of the discussion. He has a mission for her, he says. Deep within the swamps lies a ruin that hides a small metal shard. A magical item he received the day Rebecca's mother died (wink, wink) and what he believes is the cause for this attack. Now Rebecca must retrieve it. Not sure what to make out of what she just heard, Rebecca takes Bevil, who is a bit mournful about the lost of his siblings at first, and leaves West Harbor to the south.

0_Map.jpg

PR_Belvin.jpg

'It's been an age since I've come this far into the swamp. There are some twist and turns before we get to the ruins.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What do you mean?'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'Well, what you can expect in a swamp. Bugs,

1_Bugs.jpg

lizards,

2_Lizards.jpg

the usual stuff, y'know.'

The two battle their way through all those usual lizards and bugs and reach the ruins.

3_DungEntrance.jpg

Before they go in though, Rebecca wants to investigate another structure that stands nearby.

4_StrangeBuilding.jpg

PR_Belvin.jpg

'We should turn back. These aren't the ruins that your father wanted us to search.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'How do you know that?'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'No one's ever been able to get in. Georg says it's been here for generations.
And Tarmas says that he heard a story about a wizard who tried to get in once and never returned.
Besides, if your father wanted us to go into these ruins, you'd think he'd have told us how to get in.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yeah, you’re right. We'll go back.'

Rebecca approaches the ruin's entrance, unaware of a perfectly hidden figure that watches them from afar.

5_Wacthed.jpg

They can hear chanting behind the door.

6_LizardCeremony.jpg

Lizard Priest:
'And before we fight them for our ancestral hatching ground, we ask for your blessings.'

*Door bursts open*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Knock, knock!'

Lizard Priest:
'A warm blood - here!? Your very presence offends the stone god!'

PR_Belvin.jpg
(anxious)
'There certainly are an awful lot of them. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.'

Lizard Priest:
'Kill them!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Guess it's too late to think about that.'

-The next scene was cut due to budget restrains-

7_Treasure.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That was quiet a brawl back there but it was worth it.'

*Congratulations! You received a metal shard*

PR_Belvin.jpg

'We were risking life and limb - for that?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Oh, you mean I didn't tell you?'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'None of this makes any sense. Your father can do his own blasted quest from now on. When you're done searching around, let's get out of here.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Let's go.'

8_MapBack.jpg

Rebecca's foster father is already expecting them.

FF:
'You've returned - and you've brought the shard.'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'That's all you can say? I almost died out there!'

FF:
'If I did not believe you could handle the task, I sent another.'

PR_Belvin.jpg

'Yeah, well you weren't out there in the swamp getting attacked by lizardfolk.'

FF:
'No, I was here attending to the wounded, Bevil - now find Merring and do the same.'

PR_Belvin.jpg
(leaves)
'I don't know how you put with him, Rebecca.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(aside)
'You can get used to a lot of things.'

FF:
'Now for the shard - let me see it.'

Rebecca holds up the shard.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'As you can see I've found it, what now?'

FF:
'I need you to go to the city of Neverwinter. Find my half-brother Duncan, retrieve the second shard, and take it to a mage you both can trust.
Duncan owns an inn in the Docks District of the city, the Sunken Flagon. Not the most...reputable place, but safe enough.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I better not have to take Bevil with me.'

FF:
'No. As you probably realize, he will be of no help outside West Harbor.
He would only slow you down. Bevil is made for... simpler things.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'll say. Like cleaning the stables.'

FF:
'It's a better fate than others, I assure you.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What about the attackers?'

FF:
'The creatures that attacked us will leave West Harbor alone once they realize their quarry has fled. If all goes well, you should be in Neverwinter before they find your trail.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I've heard enough. I go pack my things.'

FF:
'Say your farewells - your boots may travel many roads before you return. I let some of the others know you are leaving - but not the why of it.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That's your farewell then?'

FF:
'Perhaps we will speak again and gain an understanding for each other.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'It's a little too late for that now.'

FF:
'Return when you are ready to leave, and we will speak of the path you must take.'

Rebecca does as she was advised. She replenishes her supplies and says her farewells when Georg cuts her off.

Georg:
'So your father is sending you to Neverwinter, eh? I can't say that I approve, if it were a militia matter I wouldn't send you alone, but I don't have any right to tell him how to raise a child.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Drop the act, Georg. I'm in a hurry.'

Georg:
'Can you at least tell me why you are going? Your father wouldn't tell me a thing.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Why do you want to know?'

Georg:
'I lead the militia and it's my responsibility to protect the village even you. I know we've had our... "difficulties" in the past, but you're still under my protection. So why are leaving?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I've been looking for any excuse to leave here.'

Georg:
'I've always thought that your ambition was bigger than our village. It's going to be your downfall one day.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'We'll see about that.'

Georg:
'Anyways, it won't be easy reaching Neverwinter. I've traveled that way once or twice. It's a dangerous journey, especially for one traveling alone. You might want to ask around the village. There may be a few people that would still be willing to help a troublemaker like you.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Farewell.'

A couple of minutes later.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'm done with what I wanted to do, father. I'm ready to go.'

FF:
'Good, to get to Neverwinter, take the road that borders the Starling farm out of town. It is the only road through the Mere of the Dead Men - so following it should be easy. The road itself has not been patrolled, and few travel it. Move quickly, and you may be able to avoid the many beasts of the Mere.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'So, should I expect random encounters?'

FF:
'I suspect you will see your share of battle before you reach Neverwinter. Stray from the road and the danger is even greater.
I've made it known that you travel directly for the city - in hopes that the enemy will pursue you along the High Road.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You've always been paranoid. No random encounters then but how do I reach Neverwinter if not on foot?'

FF:
'Head to the small port town of Highcliff once you're clear of the swamp. From there, you'll seek passage on a ship to Neverwinter.
There is a ship called the Double Eagle that will await you there. Her captain, Flinn by the name, is a trusted friend of mine and will ferry you safely to the city.
Your trip to Neverwinter will be quicker by water, and my attempt at misdirection may allow you to reach Highcliff before the enemy becomes aware of your true route.
I have nothing more to say. It is time for you to go, my daughter. Each moment you remain here brings greater risk to the village.'

So, with a refreshed spirit and the head filled with possibilities of a new, exciting future, Rebecca leaves her hometown for good. Her newfound élan doesn't last long.

9_MapPub.jpg

Exhausted and slightly angered by this uneventful journey, she decides to call it a night and relax in the casual tavern she comes by.

A small group of Thugs and a dwarf have gathered at the entrance.

10_PubEnter1.jpg

Dwarf:
'Now that we're outside, maybe you want to tell me again... slowly this time, so you can think about what you're saying.'

Thugs:
'You're a small one to be taken this road all by yourself, dwarf. Maybe you've come looking for trouble... unless you have a little coin to convince us otherwise.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(annoyed)
'Would you gentlemen please let me pass?'

Dwarf:
'My halfling friend is right, I believe you all be threatening me... if you ever decide to throw a punch that is. Even the stranger can see you're too scared of your own shadows to do it.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You're taking me out of context here.'

Thugs:
'Is that so? Maybe both of you want to pay, how 'bout that?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Now you've made a mistake you'll soon regret.'

Thugs:
'All right, I've heard enough of this - come on, boys. Let's deal with the dwarf and his new friend.'

Swords are draw and fists are raised but the Thugs don't bring as much into the fight as they claim and eat dust. The dwarf turns towards Rebecca and starts a friendlier conversation.

11_PubEnter2.jpg

Dwarf:
'Have to admit, wasn't expecting a halfling to come along - to pitch in like that.
Name is Khelgar Ironfist. Been making my way along the Coast for some time now, stopped in the Willow here for a brief fight.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

‘You seem rather calm, considering those men wanted to kill you.'

Khelgar:
'Yeah it's a shame. I was just looking to trade a few punches, then share a drink when it was all done. Either way, they get my coin, they way I saw it.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Those folks don't look like they'll be waking for a drink anytime soon.'

Khelgar:
'Doesn't matter - they weren't worthy of a drink anyway, bringing blades into it. A friendly brawl I would have been up for... but robbery with weapons.
So tell me, what brings you out along the Mere? Roads aren't exactly safe you know - and they're getting worse all the time.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'm on my way to Neverwinter to fulfill a task I myself don't fully understand.'

Khelgar:
'Seems it's your lucky day then. I happen to be traveling to Neverwinter as well.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'My lucky day indeed.'

Khelgar:
'Glad we see eye to eye - and when fortune smiles, who are we to turn away.
I say we step inside the Weeping Willow here and share our stories over a few of the innkeeper’s best.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Sure, as long as you pay the bill.'

A few cups of ale later.

12_PubFirstLevel1.jpg

A lot of ale later.

13_PubFirstLevel2.jpg

Khelgar:
'And that's why I headed to Neverwinter. I heard there's a house full of monks there... a monastery, right?... heard they'll train anyone, just for asking. Couldn't ask for a better opportunity.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Whay Nenawinter? Tshere must be plenty *burp*onasteries around.'

Khelgar:
'If you know a closer one that'll train for free, well I'm all ears. Just as long as I get that monk training.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(giggles)
'Aw 'onk.'

Khelgar:
'Aye, that's the short of it.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Whay?'

Khelgar:
'As it happens, I didn't always wanted to become a monk, what happened was -'

A dramatic interruption occurs.

14_PubFirstLevel3.jpg

Khelgar:
'Well, look at this - our next round of practice just arrived.'

The guests rise from their chairs.

Khelgar
'You sure don't want me to handle this one alone, lass? You can barely stand.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Thatsh awraight. Tshey fight bedder when I'm drunk.'

15_PubFirstLevel4.jpg

They valiantly rescue the patrons from the upcoming onslaught. But a hero’s work is never done that easily.

16_PubFirstLevel5.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Shure, whay not.'

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 1 point(s) toward Good.*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Waddaya do tshat for?'

Khelgar:
'You seem to have a knack for finding trouble, Rebecca.'

She makes a flourish gesture.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'C'um with me 'n I show you trouble. Tshis big.'

*Influence gained with Khelgar: 1*

Khelgar:
'And that's quiet a lot. We'd better hurry... don't want these creatures to leave before we get there.'

No need to tell Rebecca to bring the fight to the next level.

17_PubTwoLevel1.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Awright, whosh dying first?'

More breathtaking kick/punch action follows after which Rebecca has rescued a trader.

18_PubTwoLevel2.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I du...I donn.. I cn't read thish, shorry. I'll just go over tshere.'

19_PubTwoLevel3.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Hm, tshose beds look comfy.'

A few seconds pass.

Khelgar:
'That was the last of 'em but we better keep moving on - I don't mind a fight, but don't like bringing others into our battle... Rebecca?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(snorts)

Next day, after curing her headache with a big cup of morning tea, Rebecca talks to the Innkeeper to check out.

20_PubDone1.jpg

Innkeeper:
'Looks like we were lucky to have you and your dwarf friend here. You'll always be welcome here at the Weeping Willow. Those who survived own you their lives.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yeah, about that. I'm still waiting for my reward.'

Innkeeper:
'A reward? But I've already gotten you a free room and tea! There are barely enough travelers for me to stay in business nowadays. And with the ones that died here, even fewer will want to visit.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You would have been left with nothing if it weren't for me.'

Innkeeper:
'You have a point there. And I suppose there's no hurry to the repairs, seeing as the attack chased off what few customer I had. Here...is there something else?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Actually yes, I was hoping for something to happen. Not important. I bet there will be other opportunities on my travels. Farewell.'

Khelgar rejoins her on the road.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You're still here?'

Khelgar: (casual)
'Well now, I've had a good time so far. And the way you attract trouble... I haven't had this much fun since that tavern back at Bogen's Pass where I was using that trestle table as a battering ram.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I hope that there is a point to your story.'

Khelgar:
'Look, we're headed the same direction and you seem to have more enemies then friends, what say if we travel together? Might be able to teach each other a few things.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I agree. It will be safer if we travel together.'

Khelgar:
'Good. I'd be glad for the company - and the conversation.'

*Heavy metal tune kicks in*

*Khelgar (
PR_Khelgar.jpg
) has joined the party*

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'And don't you worry about me keeping up - Khelgar Ironfist carries his own weight. I won't be slowing you down.'

Thus ends the story in which Rebecca forms her very first party during a tavern visit. What other challenges might await her? Only time will tell.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Can we turn off the epic battle music now? It has been looping for hours. I already have one migraine, thank you.'

Right.

Black

Arcane
Make sure to specialize Khelgar in hammers so he can smash stuff with his dwarven set.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
I'm wrestling with myself at the moment to maybe screw up everyone's character build on purpose. I've finished NWN 2 twice now and I always used the recommended button for followers, although its choice for skills and feats are far from optimal, but still didn't encounter any real problems. Then again, this is my first playthrough on hardcore so one halfling barbarian who is specialized in unarmed combat (this is most likely going to bite me in the arse during the solo sections) is maybe the only misfit that I can afford.

Is it worth it to train Khelgar in hammering once he becomes a monk or are his fists sufficient?

Don't you lose your monk special abilities if you use a warhammer? But anyway, I thought Khelgar was more effective as a monk than a fighter. Not that it matters a whole lot.

I thought it was very disappointing that I couldn't multiclass any of the NPC's, by the way.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
A monk can't use flurry of blows anymore which by itself can be darn useful (5+ attacks per round when combined with haste -> ultimate killing spree) but that's not necessarily crucial. Improved evasion is where my favorite tactic lies. Just let the enemies gather around your monk and then obliterate them with your mages with only minimal risks for your guy to get hurt by friendly fire.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
I thought it was very disappointing that I couldn't multiclass any of the NPC's, by the way.

Me too. I'm looking forward to that expansion where you can create your own custom party.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When you make Khelgar a monk make sure you give him 1 level of cleave. That makes monks rock.

Xard

Novice
Could've chosen worse game, NWN2 gets good in Act II

Have fun suffering through Act I though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom