Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play MS Flight Simulator 2004!

Data4

Arcane
Oh why the hell not?

Here we are doing a walk-around of a brand new Boeing 737-800 NG, painted up in the new in-house "Dreamliner" livery. We're parked at Sea-Tac airport, and the time is around 6:00 PM local. Weather is partly cloudy, cool, and calm.

fs9-1.jpg

The cockpit is what's referred to as "cold and dark". No power, no lights, and nothing on the CRTs yet. At this point, we tune into ATIS, or the Automated Traffic Information System to find out the latest weather and which runways are active. Looks like it's going to be Runway 16L for a southbound departure.

fs9-2.jpg

Here we have the overhead panel, which is where most of the aircraft's systems are controlled. From here, I'll be switching on battery power, ground power, and the Auxiliary Powe Unit so as to wake the bird up. This will also provide power to the climate control systems, as the passengers will be boarding momentarily. Continuing on with the power up, I turn on the fuel pumps, hydraulics, electrical bus controls, lights, air conditioning, and equipment cooling fans, all controlled via this panel.

fs9-3.jpg

Okay, passengers are aboard, and the cabin is secured. All systems are running (as you can see by the displays. The copilot is busy playing Super Mario Brothers, but you can't see here.). We've been given a straight-out departure clearance, which means we don't have a plan on file, so we'll be going by Visual Flight Rules (VFR), which is pretty rare for a jet like this. We've just pushed back from the gate and have been handed off to Ground Control for clearance to taxi to runway 16L

fs9-5.jpg

More to come.

Data4

Arcane
Right, so here we are holding short of runway 16L. Tower has ordered us to hang tight while an MD-80 is on final.

fs9-6.jpg

"Boeing 737 November Golf, winds calm, cleared for take-off"

fs9-7.jpg

Up, up and away!

fs9-8.jpg

Just taking a peek out the right window for a look at the southern Puget Sound area and HOLY FUCK!! WHERE'S THE FUCKING CO-PILOT!!?! ... have I been... left behind???

fs9-9.jpg

That's it. I'm headed east. Maybe the Enclave will have some answers. Shit, looks like a storm's brewing.

fs9-10.jpg

Data4

Arcane
Hold on, lemme go look. FUCK! The crew, the passengers... all of them... Gone!

fs9-11.jpg

Oh well... I've got the autopilot set for D.C. Might as well go deactivate the smoke detectors in the shitter and light one up.

fs9-12.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Reminds me of that Stephen King story. If you stay in one airport for too long, will you get eaten? That would be awesome.

What about if there is a small random chance a jap fighter plane from ww2 would come out of a vortex to strafe you or that during thunderstorms some gremlin might appear on your wings to destroy the engines? It would rocket this game into cult superhit status the instant someone found out. Goddamn, I should be an easter egg designer.

Data4

Arcane
Sirus said:
So are these flight simulators actually any fun?

Do you have an interest in aviation? Are you a student pilot wanting to practice for your solo? Does the idea of flipping every switch and turning every knob to get a 747 from cold and dark to fully powered up get you excited?

No? Probably not, then. It's as niche as niche can get. No guns. No bombs. Nothing going pew pew pew. Just flying.

Andyman Messiah said:
You should have set this up to be the Desert Bus let's play of RPG Codex instead. It would've been so much cooler.

Hmmm... that looks interesting.

Data4 said:
Does the idea of flipping every switch and turning every knob to get a 747 from cold and dark to fully powered up get you excited?
Despite not caring a damn about flying, that actually sounds interesting to me. I am so into the mundane that I would deserve to work in a cubicle.

Data4

Arcane
sportforredneck said:
Data4 said:
Does the idea of flipping every switch and turning every knob to get a 747 from cold and dark to fully powered up get you excited?
Despite not caring a damn about flying, that actually sounds interesting to me. I am so into the mundane that I would deserve to work in a cubicle.

It is interesting the first few times. I should clarify that the really complex planes in the sim are addons. The ones it comes with are pretty basic. I mean, yeah, it helps to have a basic understanding of aerodynamics and all, but if you know that pulling back on the joystick makes it go up, you're golden. The 737 I used and the 747 I mention are both considered high end in that they've replicated as much as possible within the bounds of FS. You have to do everything right and in order or you're not going anywhere.

Of course helicopters are different matter altogether. Which... reminds me. I'm gonna try to find something cool.

It doesn't even have to be all that entertaining. Hell I was just trying to look up desert bus to see if I could play that for awhile. Can't find a good spot that has it though.

Drakron

Arcane
Data4 said:
Of course helicopters are different matter altogether. Which... reminds me. I'm gonna try to find something cool.

Oh yes, I used to play the old Jane's Flight Sim AH-64 Longbow and they are certainly different.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Data4 said:
Andyman Messiah said:
You should have set this up to be the Desert Bus let's play of RPG Codex instead. It would've been so much cooler.

It would be so cool. Set up a skype conference call with you playing captain and we're your passengers and staff and then record the whole journey of screaming for peanuts and trying to kill you and take over the plane. It'll be awesome. Come on, guys, let's do it!

(Obviously, I'm not going to participate.)

Data4

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Data4 said:
Andyman Messiah said:

It would be so cool. Set up a skype conference call with you playing captain and we're your passengers and staff and then record the whole journey of screaming for peanuts and trying to kill you and take over the plane. It'll be awesome. Come on, guys, let's do it!

I was actually thinking that might be fun to do, but I'm convinced the only thing I'd hear from my end is a bunch of dumbshits saying "Do 9/11! Do 9/11!"

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Data4 said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Data4 said:
Andyman Messiah said:

I was actually thinking that might be fun to do, but I'm convinced the only thing I'd hear from my end is a bunch of dumbshits saying "Do 9/11! Do 9/11!"
Well, you're gonna have to be real selective then and weed out the dumbfucks. Get reliable people who you think can entertain a trip from wherever to whatever and it'll probably work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom