Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayal in Antara

Erebus

Arcane
Largely forgotten today, Betrayal in Antara is the spiritual sequel of the still famous Betrayal at Krondor. It is not set in Midkemia (Sierra apparently didn't have the rights anymore) but it is extremely similar to BaK on most technical points.

(The real sequel to BaK would be "Return to Krondor", a game I gave up on fairly quickly and which inspired an incredibly sucky novel by Feist, but let's stay on topic for the moment.)

BiA is game with a lot of flaws but also some good points that made me enjoy it and play it to the end (quite an accomplishment, as we'll see later).

WARNING : this review is sadly pictureless but you can check out what BiA looks like on Youtube => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9n-2a7orzQ

The first obvious flaw is that it is ugly. The characters look ridiculous during the dialogues and, while the backgrounds are okay, it won't take long for the landscapes to make you sick of the color brown (let's not even mention the "forests"). For a game released in 1997, it should have looked much better. To be fair, the introductions and conclusions of chapters have good art (as long as you don't mind the lack of color diversity).

Thanks to Youtube, I've recently been able to hear the english voice acting for BiA and it sounds fairly poor. Even though I'm usually an adept of original versions, I liked the french voices much better.

The four characters are not exactly original. There's William the nobleman's son, Aren the young tavernkeeper's son who discovers he has magical abilities (saving William's ass in the intro), Kaelyn the young and brash huntress who joins their party for flimsy reasons and Raal the Grrrlf (one of the game's original non-human races ; basically looks like a civilized werewolf) who's only available for two chapters out of nine.

The dialogue and the interactions between the PC are mostly interesting and entertaining, although they sometimes end up being corny. I even enjoyed the sexual tension between William and Kaelyn (unoriginal as hell, but love stories are seldom inventive in computer games).

The combat is almost identical to what it was in BaK. It works well, although your strategic options are rather limited in the chapters where you play only two characters. As far as I remember, the AI is okay : enemies will often target Aren when he's weakened by his spellcasting, before he has time to drink some health potions (amusingly but unrealistically, you can drink up to 25 health potions in one turn). And enemies actually have a strong sense of self-preservation : they will flee when their Health gets too low, which isn't common in CRPGs. (Since characters with low Health move slowly, you're often able to catch up and slaughter them for the loot !)

Injuries work the same as in BaK, if I'm not mistaken : the life points of characters are divided (roughly 50 / 50) between Stamina points and Health points, injuries reduce Stamina before Health and, while Stamina loss does not reduce your abilities, Health loss does. A character with 1 Health point stands almost no chance of doing anything successfully (except drink potions, if he's lucky enough to have some left). If a character loses all Health, he does not die and goes back to 1 Health point after the fight BUT he remains in a very weakened state where he cannot regain more Health until he drinks about 25 health potions or rests for many days. It's a nice system, much more realistic than what's found in most CRPGs.

Other minor elements (your food will spoil with time, your armors and weapons need maintenance, etc) are realistic without being annoying.

The magic system (used only by Aren) is original, but doesn't end up as interesting as you expect it to be. Basically, there are more than 20 spheres of magic (such as fire, distance, divination, multiple, etc.). You start with only three (creation, electricity and touch), which you can combine to research a spell that will inflict electrical damage on touch. You can discover more spheres by observing enemies use them or finding tutors and find new combinations that will produce spells. Unfortunately, you seldom find yourself having to choose between researching two different spells and, anyway, you'll hardly ever use many of the spells you discover.

There's no C&C to speak of, really. The game has been accused of being too linear, but I don't think it's any worse than many other computer games.

There are some ugly dungeons here and there and some puzzles I rather liked.

The main flaw of the game is that it is increasingly buggy. A patch was apparently released but it worked only for the english version (Sierra's way of telling the players from other countries to go fuck themselves). So I had to endure the game crashing at increasingly short intervals. During the first chapters, it almost never happened but it made Chapter 9 pure hell : the game would crash because I had opened a character's inventory, because I'd switched to another character's inventory, because I'd opened a door, because I'd tried to use an object, because I'd taken three steps forward, because a fight had ended, because I had tried to access the map or a character's status page, etc... Doing anything at all risked crashing the game. I don't think I was ever able to play Chapter 9 for more than 5 minutes straight.

The main good points of the game are its story and its setting. The plot is interesting and complex. Who the bad guys are and what's their plan is progressively revealed, keeping the player interested. I would never have persevered through Chapter 9 if I had not wanted to see the ending (which turned out to be very nice and begging for a sequel that will never ever be made).

The setting is really the one point where Betrayal in Antara is obviously superior to Betrayal at Krondor. I enjoyed reading Feist when I was 16-17 but let's face it, Midkemia is a cliché storm. The world of BiA is much more original and interesting. Its society, politics, customs, organizations, non-human races and history are well-detailed and don't feel like the rehashed, unsurprising banality we still find in most recent CRPGs.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I remember liking it a lot when I was a kid. You kind of have to break out the notepad to get the most out of it though. I had trouble and got stuck in one of the cities because I accidentally skipped a scene where I eavesdropped for some information. It turns out that that information isn't recorded in any kind of a log anywhere, and I pretty much had to start all over again.

Xi

Arcane
Good read! I remember my brother purchased this game, and I only got to dabble with it a little bit before he let another friend borrow it. I was pissed when that asshole lost the CDs and I've just never had the chance to play it after that. If anything I feel a nostalgic sense from just the name of this game because I was urning to play it so much back in the day.

I only ever got to the first town(or settlement), purchased some gear, and fought a few battles outside. Was intrigued with that experience alone, but never got to see any more than that. :D

Lurkar

Scholar
I played this a long goddamn time ago, but never really get into it at all. I just remember never having any goddamn money because everything sold for like two gold pieces.

Erebus

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
I remember liking it a lot when I was a kid. You kind of have to break out the notepad to get the most out of it though. I had trouble and got stuck in one of the cities because I accidentally skipped a scene where I eavesdropped for some information. It turns out that that information isn't recorded in any kind of a log anywhere, and I pretty much had to start all over again.

Yeah, I remember having a similar problem and being left to wonder where exactly I was supposed to go. I guess that's the reason why most recent CRPGs include extremely detailed logs.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also had money problems in this game. But while BaK's plot grabbed me strongly and kept me interested for a long time, I found BiA plainly boring.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Um, Erebus, the good points of the game are the exact same things that one would have seen in Betrayal At Krondor anyway, except Betrayal in Antara was made 4 years after Betrayal At Krondor. I wouldn't have expected any less anyway.

TBH, I always wanted to play BiA just because I loved BaK so much. But if linearity is the only complaint, oh what the hell, I'll play it anyway. It's good that they retained the same mechanics and still has all the conspiracies.

@Lurkar
Same as in the beginning of BaK. The first thing you do in the game is scrounge for every bit of loot you can find, so you can sell it for a few scraps, and then throw it all away again just to buy a simple convenience like a Repair Hammer.

But there were quests that gave you a good 100 coins or so, but I saved them up for big investments in training skills, which are priceless.

But you see, there is a massive forest in Betrayal At Krondor, that contains a large number of magical chests with precious gems and items. My first priority in the game is to journey to that forest. I spend upto four to five hours just exploring the place and finding those things. Afterward, I have so much expensive loot on me, I sell it off for big money. I am never short of money in the game again, and I buy the best equipment for myself in Chapter 1 itself.

Ah, the nonlinearity of BaK. So many things could be achieved before you were even supposed to. "I need to find an important note? Good thing I already have it on me."

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I misread the thread title and thought this topic was "Betrayal in Andharia," needless to say I am disappointed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
MLMarkland said:
I misread the thread title and thought this topic was "Betrayal in Andharia," needless to say I am disappointed.

Maybe this could be your next project after Purgatorio is done?
:D

Erebus

Arcane
MLMarkland said:

Misreading is a serious problem at the Codex. For instance, when people see the words "Storm of Zehir", they read "Mask of the Betrayer 2".

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
An important difference between BiA and BaK is that in BiA your party's attributes (health, stamina, strength, speed) remain constant the entire game, while in BaK they increase after an amount of days had passed. I'm not sure why this was changed in BiA, since it only means you'll be quaffing potions a lot more.

I'm playing this at the moment and got hit by a "gotcha!" in Chapter 6. To continue the main story it's necessary to beat a guy in arm wrestling, which can only be achieved by quaffing a strength potion first, of which there are only two in the chapter. Problem is, before I knew this I had already l used both potions in combat... and it's not possible to find other potions anywhere else, not even in the only alchemy shop in this chapter where it should have been available. So I'm forced to play half the chapter again.

It's interesting, anyhow, how the party also splits up after Chapter 3 exactly like in BaK.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
An important difference between BiA and BaK is that in BiA your party's attributes (health, stamina, strength, speed) remain constant the entire game, while in BaK they increase after an amount of days had passed. I'm not sure why this was changed in BiA, since it only means you'll be quaffing potions a lot more.

I'm playing this at the moment and got hit by a "gotcha!" in Chapter 6. To continue the main story it's necessary to beat a guy in arm wrestling, which can only be achieved by quaffing a strength potion first, of which there are only two in the chapter. Problem is, before I knew this I had already l used both potions in combat... and it's not possible to find other potions anywhere else, not even in the only alchemy shop in this chapter where it should have been available. So I'm forced to play half the chapter again.

It's interesting, anyhow, how the party also splits up after Chapter 3 exactly like in BaK.
You are playing Betrayal in Antara?

Let me guess.

You either have an old PC for that purpose.

Or you keep a Windows virtual PC which you use for running Windows 98, through which you play this game. And you got it running after much pain.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Phelot

Arcane
As Elwro said some 4 years ago, the plot was pretty darn boring. I had fun exploring and the combat is fun even if it gets repetitive fighting the same shit over and over. Of course it's been years since I've played this.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the plot is boring, it just develops very slowly, even slower than BaK.

Also regarding a previous poster's comment about lack of gold, this is only true for the first few chapters. In later chapters there's almost an endless loot supply of breastplates, chainmails and broadswords which can all be sold and soon you're swimming in gold.

Captain Shrek

MAMA MIA!

This was my first RPG. MY FIRST!

:(

i actually played the demo! Then I searched heaven and earth for the full version like crazy. Then I found that these kinds of games were called RPGs. I have loved and played RPGs since.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BaK doesn't work too well in modern pcs (nor wine).
The third disc can only be read by explorer, it uses some kind of fucked up non standard burning format. You can get around it by copying the files from explorer and burning a new one.

There is no full install (or patch for that)
:/

I like exploration, but it's stuff you won't really notice unless you're really looking everywhere (stuff like mining, fetch quests, training tomes). The story was boring banal. Last chapter always crashed in the very last action to end the game. Saw the ending literally ten years later on ytube

:roll:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't think the plot is boring, it just develops very slowly, even slower than BaK.

Also regarding a previous poster's comment about lack of gold, this is only true for the first few chapters. In later chapters there's almost an endless loot supply of breastplates, chainmails and broadswords which can all be sold and soon you're swimming in gold.
To a point, this was also true for late game BaK as well.

The only catch is that exploring to get good items and good loot in early game BaK puts you well ahead of the curve and progressing through the early levels much faster. But around the end levels, there is a trend towards equalization.

For the record, I acquired Kahooli-blessed Greatsword and Kahooli-blessed Dragon Plate Armour from the very first chapter of BaK. That FELT GOOD. To gloat about how cool I was to have done this, I even made a LP of BaK, and showed screenshots of it to everyone. :eek: I am such a loser. :oops:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
BiA remedies getting ahead of the curve by limiting each chapter to a certain segment of the (huge) map, plus it's also impossible to grind skills to 100 in the first chapter, i.e. in the first chapter maximum skill level is 40, then in the third 60, etc. This also means you obtain the most powerful spells later in the game, while in BaK you can find game-breakingly powerful spells in the first chapter (Gambit of the Eight, River song, Skin of the dragon).

Erebus

Arcane
I rather like the way spells can be researched in BiA. Unfortunately, a lot of spells are less than useful. As far as damage-dealing is concerned, for instance, you seldom have any reason to use anything but lightning spells (their damage/cost ratio is high and they never miss).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom