Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I routinely scour a few places looking for some indie CRPGs in the works or that are finished. Hopefully those that look like they actually MIGHT get finished. So, I figured it might also be useful if other people who happen to run across some could kinda help me out in my quest for finding them by posting links and info about them in this thread.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Okay, my first submission is not an indie-rpg, but rather an indie program that lets you create 2D/semi-3D games. I actually like it alot. Pretty simple to use. The link of games on the site isn't too good (with the exception of the TB strategy game at the top of the list - decent for a playthrough at least). Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.gamemaker.nl/

If you're a fan of the NetHack style of games, you may wanna check out this:

http://slashem.sourceforge.net/

Okay, this one is pretty funky. It's a dungeon scroller with a twist. :twisted: :

http://www.rtsoft.com/dscroll/index.shtml

If you're into console style RPGs (no death threats please :P), you may wanna give Laxius Power a gander.

This game looks like it could rock. If the people working on it decide to finish it, that is:

http://ashes.lalista.org/

Not a traditional RPG in the sense, but still a cool game is this one:

http://www.monkkonen.net/magebane.php

That's about all I have for now. Nothing huge production value-wise, but still fun entertaining games none the less. Well, except for Dungeon Scroll. That game is whacked. :twisted:

Greenskin13

Erudite
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Otaku took my favorite Roguelike, so this is my second. It's pretty popular, and is an extremely deep game. SLASH'EM is more humurous though.

The Ur Quan Masters
It's Star Controll 2 ported for the PC. A little bit like a space trader, but instead you're gathering resources/allies to fight off an alien race. The ship building replaces stat building, and the dialogue can be very witty.

Tierra Remakes
These guys are remaking some of the old Sierra games that weren't fortunet enough to be redone in VGA. They've done a good job of staying true to the games, and now they're working on Quest for Glory 2. For all you worried about legitimacy, Sierra knows this, and hasn't sued.

The Spirit Engine
A quirky sidescroller RPG with cute graphics and a bizarre combat. While it isn't for everyone, it's free. Oh, you can also play as semi-Catholic priests. Clemetas is my favorite.

EDIT: I tried that Dungeon Scroll game that Otaku posted. I am now convinced that we should be giving that game to grade school students. Best edutainment game I've played.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Almost forgot Well Of Souls until I saw it on my HD last night while doing a clean up. Nifty little indie game that's completely free and customizable to boot. There's even an online version.

Greenskin13 said:
The Ur Quan Masters
It's Star Controll 2 ported for the PC. A little bit like a space trader, but instead you're gathering resources/allies to fight off an alien race. The ship building replaces stat building, and the dialogue can be very witty.

SC2 was THE reason to own a 3DO. The PC version sucked ass compared to it's console counterpart simply due to the 3DO's addition of voices for all the characters. Good voice acting at that as well. I highly recommend this game to anyone here simply because it's a beautiful piece of work. And just hearing Fwiffil say "The uuuuuuultimate EEEEEEvil!" is a classic gaming moment in and of itself. :)

Peacedog

Novice
I assume I don't need to post a link to Spiderweb. . .

Tom Proudfoot has made some fun games: Nahlakh and Natuk. Classic CRPGs (not much in the roleplaying department) they're both really fun. Though good luck getting Nahlakh to run on a modern OS (I could never get it to work right in XP, even though I downloaded some interesting software that might help in that regard I've never gotten around to it).

Nahlakh has some goofiness (your choice of character icon determines starting skills & gear, for example), and is very difficult. The game system is "improve via doing", there are no levels or experience points. You can buy training for ability scores and hp. Pretty nifty magic system, good TB combat (where things like facing come into play).

Natuk is sort of a spiritual sequel where you play a party of orcs bent on revenge for being imprisoned. Similar game system, but there is XP this time around. The "play as orcs" is mostly wasted from an RP standpoint (though the game is a blast). Though you generally do better by being a bully, there aren't alot of opportunities to play wiyh that.

He has abandoned work on Pirates of the Western Sea. I hope he returns to it eventually.

Helherron is a pretty fun Nahlakh/Wizard's Crown like game. Version 2.0+ has really tweaked the game balance (example: some classes that were previously useless now aren't, but one class got overpowered). That said, I really enjoyed it, and it is very cheap to register ($12.50 US iirc).

Inside the Park Baseball probably won't appeal to non baseball fans. I suspect it will end up being more novelty, and there isn't a demo so no trying it. I'm very intrigued though.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So like, why don't you post some of yours, Saint? :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, let's ignore the console style ones. There's millions of those out there, and they all suck. In fact, I hate scouring the internet looking for indie CRPGs only to run across a few dozen Final Fantasy clones written in QBASIC.

Rosh

Erudite
Sammael said:
Call me uninformed, but what's an "indie" CRPG?

Understatement of the year.

Your cluelessness does nothing to help your position, but I do have to give you marks for being honest about it. Most people would have simply looked it up on M-W.com or on Google and saved themselves the embarrassment of affixing a sticker that reads "I am clueless!" to their forehead, especially when it would further put in doubt their "gaming history" and their understanding of the industry.

But hey, marks for being honest...I think.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, let's ignore the console style ones. There's millions of those out there, and they all suck. In fact, I hate scouring the internet looking for indie CRPGs only to run across a few dozen Final Fantasy clones written in QBASIC.

It's cool. :) What about the rogue-likes though? Those cool?

Rosh

Erudite
Realbumpbert, Greenskin3, I am mainly kicking that kid up the ass for basically lying and posting bullshit like they've done in other threads. What got me to quip in on this one was the rather amazing and "detailed" history this fellow gives, thinks they know something of the game industry enough to make the stupid remark that perhaps buying Fallout Enforcer may bring enough money in for Fallout 3, and on top of it all doesn't know what "indie" means, even when the meaning is prevalent among many other forms of media entertainment and wouldn't take much effort to apply it to the game industry as well.

Yes, the poor child has an extreme difficulty with context even here, it appears.

Then again, they are a rude little child if they can't bother to do any effort in learning on their own behalf and expect other people to just hand out the answers. Hey, I didn't know that DemonKing was such a momma's boy. :lol: Learning disability, too young, stuck on his mum's tit, or a waste of taxpayer dollars. You decide what DemonKing's problem is.

Rainstorm

Novice
Which proves a point....don't read the nickname (or in this case avatar) and automatically think it'll be a stupid post.....
Read topic,then post and then decide what you think of it....if you've come across the same nick in multiple threads posting things you disagree with,then simply ignore the poster.....
I've seen Roshan (I think it was anyhow) been more or less flamed in the BIS forums when he has posted valid points....and yes I stood up for him and answer I got was "he's a troll,look in other threads".....to me it doesn't matter as long as what he posted there and then was valid......

Rosh

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Uhhh.... it was Sammael that asked what 'indie' was, Rosh. Not Demonking. :?

Interesting, although the irony is quite amusing. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom