Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Playeth: Arcanum

Hey guys. This LP is going to go through the entire game, start to finish. I'm hoping to prove just how good of an RPG Arcanum is. This LP is played using the latest unofficial patch, with the extra pack.

Let us begin:

I am Abraham, son of Philip. At an early age, I was abandoned by my family, left to die in the forest. I was at the brink of death when a group of Elves came upon me and took me into their care...

That was 20 years ago.

I am good with a sword, better with Magick. Having grown up in the company of Elves, I have a natural affinity for the arcane arts.

It was decided that I would go to the industrial city of Tarant. The elders told me that I needed to be with my own people, to interact with other humans. I would take the IFS Zephyr, a technological contraption designed to fly people over large distances to get there. I was given a prized Elven chainmail, a magickal armor meant to protect me on my journey.

As I approached the Zephyr, the heavy flow of technology in the atmosphere interfered with my senses. My stomach ached. My head was numb. Something was not right.

It was a quiet trip. The ache in my head and stomach steadily grew worse. 'I cannot wait to get off of this thing.' I thought to myself.

Little did I know that I would be getting off of the blimp a lot sooner than I had anticipated...

16157971.jpg

Strange flying devices, like metal birds, came thundering out from behind us. One crashed into the blimp, as another bombarded the deck with explosives.

149fb47c3118c0469d4d29f26939526b.gif

I ran back into the main hall. Chaos ensued as everybody went into a panic. More explosions were heard, and screams echoed throughout the entire Zephyr. I slipped and fell down a set of stairs. By now the pain in my head was blinding me. I could not think, much less speak. I fell unconscious.

17237112.jpg

I followed the voice. Finally, I reached the source. An old Gnome, nearly dead, looked up at me. He was pinned down by a large piece of twisted steel, and was bleeding profusely. He would not live...

I crouched down next to him. He handed to me an ornate silver ring, and warned me of an impending evil. He told me to that the owner of the ring would know how to prevent this evil.

45124214.jpg

I was skeptical, to say the least.

The old Gnome passed away, and all was quiet. I looked through his pockets and found a passport. "Preston Radcliffe" it said.

A cloaked figure made its way towards me as I clambered out of the wreckage. As he neared, I got a closer look of his face. A human, no more than a decade older than I. The pain in my head was daunting, but had subsided slightly.

jonga1.jpg

I was very short with the man. He stuttered as he spoke and his words made no sense to me. I am very suspicious of his true intentions here. Looking about the crash site, it seems the blimp narrowly avoided collision with the mountain range, and had landed in a small clearing. Lucky, that.

I learned from the robed man that a small town by the name of Shrouded Hills was a three night journey from the clearing..

We all played it. We all know(bar skyway because he hates everything and Jasede who prefers to play as blue-haired 12-year-old kid) how good it is. You're not smart. You're not funny. You're not money. Fuck off.

Sorry, not taking shit from some faggot called 'Emotional Vampire'. Much less someone who uses the term 'You're not money'.

wrathofdog

Scholar
I tried to play Arcanum, got to the first combat encounter (with a wolf or something), and quit. Too clunky and I'm too impatient. So this is interesting to me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
CF, LPs are done for obscure games that no one knows about.

The only incentive to do it for a known and widely played game is when it is meant solely for humour.

And I personally have zero faith in my own sense of humour, which is why I avoid making LP threads. But even so, humour in LPs usually works through something that is already there in the game, and you can't just force some punchline into a situation.

Like jimbob's Oblivion LP, which was good because the game that he was parodying was in itself so absurd and baffling.

Wyrmlord said:
CF, LPs are done for obscure games that no one knows about.

The only incentive to do it for a known and widely played game is when it is meant solely for humour.

And I personally have zero faith in my own sense of humour, which is why I avoid making LP threads. But even so, humour in LPs usually works through something that is already there in the game, and you can't just force some punchline into a situation.

Like jimbob's Oblivion LP, which was good because the game that he was parodying was in itself so absurd and baffling.

I tried to play Arcanum, got to the first combat encounter (with a wolf or something), and quit. Too clunky and I'm too impatient. So this is interesting to me.

There are more people that haven't played Arcanum than you think. I always hear about this, people ditching the game because of combat or whatever.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Except for the fact that JarlFrank already did a nice but abandoned Arcanum LP that more than gave a feel for the game to us neophytes.

Seboss

Liturgist
Keep it going. I only played Arcanum after release and could not bring myself to finish it for some reason.
Humor and witty comments are not mandatory in a LP thread in my book. If you can come up with a well-constructed narration, it's just as good for me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What the fuck is this? Be glad someone actually takes the trouble to write an LP. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you have some constructive criticism, write it down and if you're just a whiny sack of shit who only bitches about others you need to shut the fuck up.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Based on the first update alone I have a feeling this is going to be a polished and fun lp of a great game that saw way too many players than it saw purchases. The only "problem" with the lp I see is that the in-game dialog is a bit blurry at least for my eyes, but maybe that's just me.

edit: Also, I agree with Trash. Seriously, guys, shut the fuck up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah the dialog is blurry somewhat - it isn't much of a problem but it hurts eyes a bit. Maybe it's a JPEG compression? Try to save images with a better JPEG quality.

Yea, I had to scale it down so it wouldn't do the shitty horizontal movement thing. Next time I'll make the dialogs vertical/shorter.

Trash said:
What the fuck is this? Be glad someone actually takes the trouble to write an LP. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you have some constructive criticism, write it down and if you're just a whiny sack of shit who only bitches about others you need to shut the fuck up.

Yeah. Doing an LP takes some effort, merely re-sizing and uploading the screenshots takes some time. Besides, not everyone has played Arcanum. Not everyone has even played Fallout.

Trash said:

Shut the fuck up.

The Wizard

Educated
i approve your avatar choice.

laughing out loud at the uncultivated(edit: :lol: ) cretins that bitch about a let's play of this (sadly not so) fine gentleman. the first time he does something useful and constructive and people whine about it.

made

Arcane
I find it amusing that every now and then he'll make a thread about Arcanum in a desperate attempt to distract from his usual idiocy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom