Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: Horde! (Finished)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
UO0002.jpg

UO0004.jpg

UO0005.jpg

UO0006.jpg

UO0007.jpg

UO0008.jpg

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

UO0011.jpg

UO0012.jpg

UO0013.jpg

UO0014.jpg

UO0015.jpg

UO0016.jpg

UO0017.jpg

UO0018.jpg

UO0019.jpg

UO0020.jpg

UO0021.jpg

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

UO0025.jpg

UO0026.jpg

UO0027.jpg

UO0028.jpg

UO0029.jpg

Right, so we are here to assist Chauncey in fighting the EVIL HORDE! and making the kingdom grow in various places around the world.

It's hard to say what Horde is specifically but it's something of an economic strategy combined with an action game, you'll see for yourself anyway.

Prepare for an EPIC adventure!

Each mission starts with something similar to a briefing, telling you where you are going

UO0030.jpg

UO0031.jpg

UO0033.jpg

UO0034.jpg

UO0035.jpg

The Chancellor is an arsehole that will do anything to see us phail miserably, but he's a well-done cliche Vizier type of guy. His voice acting is also good for the role.

UO0036.jpg

So, here we are, the Shimto Plains.

UO0037.jpg

UO0038.jpg

Not a real damn lot to start with, but it'll have to do for now.

UO0039.jpg

We'll begin by planting a few trees, it takes only 1 gold piece for a sapling, and when they grow you can cut them down for 5 gold. Not that much of a spectacular income, but it helps

UO0040.jpg

After that, a few traps.

UO0041.jpg

And since we don't really have anything other to do right now, we end the season and call THE HORDE!

UO0042.jpg

A simple task - kill off 5 hordlings before they destroy all buildings, eat all your crops and townspeople or kill you.

UO0043.jpg

The first hordlings (of which I forgot to take a screen here) are relatively easy - they die in one hit and are stupid enough to walk into traps or drown if they stay underwater for too long.

UO0044.jpg

Victory! And without any losses too. So far so good.

UO0045.jpg

Spring's behind, time for summer. The 'save 20 crowns' objective is vital, 'cause if you don't pay taxes after an end of a year, you lose. Plain and simple.

UO0046.jpg

UO0047.jpg

Our town got a little bigger, but it's still a shithole. Cut down a few trees, planted a few new ones. Nothing left to do - call in the horde!

UO0048.jpg

UO0049.jpg

UO0050.jpg

See the busted building in the upper right corner, and a hordling standing in the centre of the ruin massaging his belly with delight? Yup, that means we've just lost a farmer, because Chauncey is a fat cock and didn't get there in time to save him.

UO0051.jpg

Four crops and one guy. Well, that's not bad either, we still get steady income, so it doesn't matter really.

UO0052.jpg

UO0053.jpg

UO0054.jpg

UO0055.jpg

UO0056.jpg

Sometimes between seasons you get these random messages. They seem like just a random comic relief, but in reality they give you information about stuff that might happen. In this case, a drought, which means we'll be getting a lot of patches with rocks in the future and less crops, which is not good.

Anyway, back to base

UO0057.jpg

Cows indeed are a good investment, each one produces 20-25 (forgot the exact amount) gold at an end of a seaon, but they also cost 100 gold, which is more than we can currently spend.

UO0058.jpg

And here we have the dreaded rock patches. Crops can't grow on them, trees can't grow on them, cows can't forage on them and you can't plant any traps/fences/hirelings on them, and they are a bitch to remove (some need only one hit with the shovel (10 gold), but some won't go off even after 5 hits).

UO0059.jpg

We should save some cash for a cow, so I didn't buy anything this round

UO0060.jpg

UO0061.jpg

UO0062.jpg

This went well alright. Two of the stupid hordlings drowned in the nearby river. Idiots.

UO0063.jpg

Captain Obvious Tip to the rescue

UO0064.jpg

Here's another shot of the map for our humble village. Bigger than in spring, eh?
Btw spring, notice the snowflake next to the 'inventory' screen - it means the year is at an end and we'll have to pay the greedy jews their friggin taxes, so we'll better save 20 gold, right?

UO0065.jpg

Fuck that! Let's buy a cow and go bankrupt!

Aaaaaand, the last horde attack this year

UO0066.jpg

UO0067.jpg

MAN DOWN. But only one, fortunately

UO0068.jpg

Great...

UO0069.jpg

Oh yeah? I see those sidelocks you're hiding under the balding toupee, faggot :x

After that we're sent to The Shoppe where we can buy additional equipment or sell it for half the price if we are not happy about it and save the game.

Here's our current equipment:

UO0070.jpg

UO0071.jpg

UO0072.jpg

We're so out of cash that I can't even buy the cheapest thing which costs 50 gold...

Oh well,

UO0073.jpg

Stay tuned for another blood-boiling, collar grabbing episode of THE HORDE AT THE SHIMTO PLAINS D: ! D: !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Looks like a much, much better version of Hinterland.

Also, larping intros need to make a comeback.

Hory

Erudite
It's made by the guys who made Star Control, by the way.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh, I didn't post a screen from the intro where Chauncey admits being an orphan raised by cows.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
This looks positively awesome. This kind of absurd wacky humor rocks. I'm down on my knees praising the Codex right now for bringing yet another gem to my attention! HEAVAN

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome back, my loyal subjects. This time, we shall face the second year on the Shimto Plains.

Let us proceed!

Uh... right, something strange happened and the screenshots from the 'economic' part of Spring didn't get saved, but no matter, it was the regular business - sold a few trees, planted a few new ones and called in the horde.

UO0074.jpg

UO0075.jpg

UO0076.jpg

Faggots tried to eliminate the villager, but I saved him in time. One last hordling remains, CHARGE!

UO0077.jpg

Und we are victorious again.

UO0078.jpg

It would appear that spring was good for trees this time around.

UO0079.jpg

And behold how we bought a second cow to get moar greedy jewish $$$$

UO0080.jpg

Uh... shit. Well, I honestly have no idea what to do with this, since I don't believe rocks under houses have any very morbid consequences, and we don't have gazillions of cash to remove all these goddamn patches.

UO0081.jpg

A last look on our settlement before we end summer.

UO0082.jpg

UO0083.jpg

Goddamn rocks also reduce your movement speed...

UO0084.jpg

MAN DOWN

UO0085.jpg

Another villager went to attend the great gig in the sky

UO0086.jpg

At least the crops are alright and we didn't lose cows. They are vital since they provide cash. Honestly, I don't even know what the villagers do exactly, but anyway, I suppose protecting them is a good idea.

UO0087.jpg

Autumn sees the rise of our herd.

UO0088.jpg

And autumn is gone.

UO0089.jpg

UO0090.jpg

See these jumping faggots in the bottom? They are a new type of Hordling we'll be facing. They are fast as fuck, hit harder and rarely stop even to chomp on villagers, but at least they still die in one hit. Notice the ruined building, but at least the peasant is intact

UO0091.jpg

And here's the most apparent problem with the fast hordlings: CROPS -8. The bitches are fast and *really* like to run around pointlessly taking all the crops with them.

UO0092.jpg

Vynter.

UO0093.jpg

See the rock patch between the two cows? Eventually cows eat out all the grass on a square and leave stones behind, so you have to look after your cows in every turn to see if they don't need moving, since leaving them out there, standing on rocks will halt their gold income.

Also, since it's the end of the year I didn't buy anything except a couple of saplings so we can have cash to buy stuff after we get financially assaulted by Chancellor Hebrew

UO0094.jpg

ACHT HORDLINGEN KOMMEN IN SCHNELL, HERR KOMMANDANT!!

UO0095.jpg

Whoop-de-doo, more jumping faggots. At least the villager in the ruined house is safe.

UO0096.jpg

... which can't be said about the one in this ruined house... but then again, saving all of them is nearly impossible, when you get assaulted from 2-3 fronts and you hear 'HELP!!' three times at the same time, and all of them are in the completely opposite parts of the map.

UO0097.jpg

And again, lots of the crops got wasted, but fortunately, their part in the income is not *that* big when compared to the cows.

UO0098.jpg

blablabla

UO0099.jpg

Oh, you gotta be shitting me :x

Anyway, now for some CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES, BITCH, and participation of the audience, I'll allow you (YES, YOU!) to choose what to buy:

UO0100.jpg

This is basically a lure - you drop one, a hordling comes by, eats it and is immobilized for a few seconds.

UO0101.jpg

Well, teleportation, nothing more to add, except that it's expensive.

UO0102.jpg

Bomb. Throw it and watch it asplode. Do I need to explain further?

UO0103.jpg

These d00dz can be hired during the strategy part, and basically, they act like melee-ranged turrets. They'll stand in a square in which you plant them and whack any hordling that gets close.

UO0104.jpg

Walls. A more expensive version of the fence that I never used, since the fence is p. useless, but the walls can withstand some serious punishment as far as I recall.

Which is better and why? DISCUSS!!

Last edited:

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
So, basically, this puts many recent games I dare not mention to shame.

Mainly because it looks fun.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sovard said:
Mainly because it looks fun.

It is helluva fun, mainly thanks to its cartoony atmosphere. The graphics, the cut-scenes, the humour are all gud, not to mention the ridiculous (but not irritating) jolly music playing in the background when the Horde appears, and those regular Hordlings themselves just look, well, cute.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
iirc you need the wall if you hope to have your cows survive once the third type of hoardling shows up, but I'll vote bomb.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
HanoverF said:
iirc you need the wall if you hope to have your cows survive once the third type of hoardling shows up, but I'll vote bomb.

Well, not exactly, since there's barely anything that can STOP the third type of hordling, and placing knights next to each cow to carry out divine judgement also works, although placing walls around them is relatively cheaper.

dragonfk

Erudite
Knowing how you'll be punished in later stages I vote for wall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom