Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Betrayal At Krondor (COMPLETED)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Raymond E. Feist wrote a large number of books based on his Midkemia setting, throughout several years. Being an avid computer gamer, he consented to work with the studio Sierra Entertainment, to bring the setting and the style of his fantasy novels to computer games, in an attempt to combine the high adventure of a genuine fantasy novel with the rigourous challenge and interaction of a computer game. Thus came the game Betrayal At Krondor.

At the onset, a series of skirmishes are going on with the tribal barbaric moredhel elves of the Northlands, and the soldiers of the Kingdom are holding them back at the mountain passes. An aristocratic knight manages to capture a turncoat moredhel chieftain, and they both flee away from moredhel forces, bloody and battered. They managed to be taken in by a young wandering nobleman who is self-trained in magic.

This game is the story of all that follows with these three men:
krondor_000.png

krondor_001.png

krondor_002.png

krondor_003.png

krondor_004.png

krondor_005.png

krondor_006.png

krondor_007.png

krondor_008.png

And so starts the game. The moredhel turncoat was just forced to strangle in chains his very own nephew of his very own tribe who came to kill him. His own family has sided with the moredhel king Delekhan over himself.

And the young nobleman is threatened to forcefully come with the men he just aided, because they are not in the mood to trust anyone. They frankly tell him that he is dispensible enough to be killed, if he does not comply.

krondor_010.png

krondor_011.png

krondor_012.png

krondor_013.png

krondor_014.png

krondor_015.png

krondor_016.png

krondor_017.png

krondor_018.png

krondor_019.png

krondor_020.png

krondor_021.png

krondor_022.png

We have an objective and we now must start charting our travel plan:
krondor_009.png

The coastal city at the southermost tip at the west is Krondor. The arrow marks where we are. The stated objective is that we have to go to Krondor.

There are many many reasons exactly to NOT do so, and you'll be seeing some of them very soon.

We move a few clicks down, to meet the game's first encounter:
krondor_033.png
krondor_034.png

krondor_023.png

krondor_024.png

krondor_025.png

krondor_026.png

krondor_027.png

krondor_028.png

krondor_029.png

krondor_030.png

krondor_031.png

Heads up: This guy is important. There is an actual avatar assigned to him as a specific character. He knows something. Ignore the smalltalk, there will be characters like him and many others, who are not what they seem to be. Most in this game are not. One way or another, he is going to have a pretty good idea of what's going on, perhaps better than you do. We might want to come back to him later.

Just a little further south, we come across a Tsurani outpost.

krondor_035.png
krondor_036.png
krondor_037.png

The Tsurani are the people of the Empire Of Tsuranuanni, a very feudalistic and heirarchical culture, much similiar to ancient Japan. They are famed for their secretive and powerful magics of teleportation, through 'rifts'. This makes them valued among kingdom people. We find out about a recent incident at the place:
krondor_038.png

krondor_039.png

krondor_040.png

Tsurani warriors actually stole a ruby from a Great One? Are they mad? A Great One is a powerful Tsurani magician who is above any Tsurani law. In the Midkemian setting, such people are known to destroy you with their mere thought, and Tsurani are taught to fear them.

There is a bar owned by a former Tsurani warrior nearby in this town. Let's go to him and try to talk to him about this stuff.

krondor_041.png

But before we talk to the brown skinned Tsurani, the dwarf is interested in conversation with us.
krondor_042.png

krondor_043.png

krondor_044.png

krondor_045.png

krondor_046.png

krondor_047.png

krondor_049.png

He refers to a cave called Mac Mordain Cadal. Hmmm...we'll remember to go that place. He also mentioned a place called Sethanon, which is clear to see on the map of the game's world far down south, and very much worth visiting. It was the place of a terrible battle.

But first, let's try to work on this matter of rubies and the thieving Tsurani.
krondor_050.png

krondor_051.png

krondor_052.png

krondor_053.png

krondor_055.png

krondor_056.png

krondor_057.png

krondor_058.png

krondor_059.png

krondor_060.png

Sumani will not dare question his superiors in Tsurani society. There are clearly other reasons for the Tsurani spontaneously closing up all riftgates to the Kingdom. Especially consider that this was ordered by the Assembly of Magicians (of which The Great One himself is a part) under some vague pretext of some petty aristocratic dispute.

The Tsurani are up to something. Their magicians are known to be a scheming and heartless bunch. We'll have to figure out what the hell they are doing. Perhaps inquiring into this matter of thieving by Grey Warriors will help us.

krondor_061.png

krondor_062.png

"...learned they may be granted freedom if they can reach the Kingdom. Many die trying."
krondor_064.png

krondor_065.png

krondor_066.png

krondor_067.png

krondor_068.png

krondor_069.png

Let's stop and think about this, guys. Somebody clearly needs these rubies. I reckon that it is a bargaining instrument, by someone brokering a few deals around here. These Grey Warriors, such as Kiefer Alescook, are probably intermediaries for this man.

He pointed us to Loriel. So for now, Loriel is out destination. It is to the east of this outpost. We start heading for it.

On our way to Loriel, however, we find a lone house on the road.
krondor_070.png
krondor_071.png

A man with dark inkblotted hands opens the door. Hmmm, how queer...
krondor_072.png

krondor_073.png

Wow, so he wants us to find some unidentified box with some unidentified item in return for an unidentified book of some unidentified knowledge.

Keeping an eye out about this guy.

Funny thing, a little north of his house, you find something kinda wierd. It's an isolated workshop.
krondor_084.png
krondor_083.png

Let's check in -
krondor_085.png

krondor_086.png

krondor_087.png

No shit. It probably tells us a little something about inkblot man nearby.

NO ONE IN THIS GAME IS TO BE TRUSTED.

For now, I move on. Here's a thing - as you travel, on both sides of the road, you'll find dulating hills and forests. They are ideal places for hiding something. Because if you scout around the place, you tend to find a few things.

Because barely a few miles from the inkblot man's house, I came across a little chest hidden somewhere.
krondor_074.png
krondor_075.png

A moredhel chest. With a spy note.
krondor_076.png

Uh oh.

And then there is another chest further east:
krondor_080.png
krondor_081.png

With another spynote:
krondor_082.png

The moredhel have already moved against us. They already maneuvered themselves far ahead of us, and are there waiting for us at south road to Krondor. And they have already set up dangerous magical traps on those roads.

This is the game giving us a hint: IT WOULD BE SHEER IDIOCY TO TAKE THE SOUTH ROAD TO KRONDOR. IT IS MEANT TO DO NOTHING BUT GET YOU KILLED, AND THE MOREDHEL ARE FAR MORE PREPARED THAN US TO SLAUGHTER US WHEN WE GET THERE.

This pretty much defines a new self-determined objective to the game. Avoid going to Krondor at all costs. It means nothing if we get there as corpses.

Instead, our first aim is to throw off moredhel assassins. If we are to fight them, we will do so on our own terms instead of being caught by them offguard.

Hence:
We shall now disregard the direct road (marked by a blue arrow), and take the longer but more convenient road (marked by two brown arrows) all the way to the north-east, down to south-east, and from there, enter Krondor through the southernmost road.
mape.png

But for now, our destination is Loriel. We are now one step ahead of the moredhel and have found their plan so that we can start working against it. There is now complete certainty that there was heavy moredhel activity in the region before we came here. In fact, certain things indicate it.

We came across a distressed farmer somewhere here:
krondor_078.png
krondor_077.png

who told us about "rackets to the west"
krondor_079.png

Possibly, the moredhel were negotiating for those explosive traps the inkblotted man was making, possibly experimenting with those traps to see if they work. This man's testimony confirms it.

Anyway, we finally meet Keifer Alescook himself at Loriel.
krondor_089.png
krondor_090.png

And he points us to a man called Isaac.
krondor_091.png

As Sumani was telling us, Isaac is most likely a dangerous man. If he can dare to steal from powerful Tsurani magicians, he is a formidable fellow.

Nonetheless, a little down south from Loriel, we find a lone man on the road.
krondor_121.png
krondor_122.png

He seems to be a good old friend of Locklear's...
krondor_094.png

...whose name happens to be Isaac!
krondor_095.png

krondor_096.png

krondor_097.png

krondor_098.png

krondor_099.png

krondor_100.png

krondor_101.png

krondor_102.png

krondor_103.png

krondor_104.png

krondor_105.png

krondor_106.png

krondor_107.png

krondor_108.png

krondor_109.png

krondor_110.png

krondor_111.png

krondor_112.png

krondor_113.png

krondor_114.png

krondor_115.png

krondor_116.png

krondor_117.png

krondor_118.png

krondor_119.png

krondor_120.png

NO ONE IN THIS GAME IS TO BE TRUSTED.

What a disgusting slimy double-talker this Isaac guy is. Locklear is either very tactful or very gullible.

Notice that when you try to talk to him about any mind-reading magician, he evades the question and tells you about a poker player. Also, there is no sword crafter who accepts payment in rubies, in any part of the game's world. That's a ridiculous bluff on his part, and he is trying to play cool and calm.

Nonetheless, we manage to get the ruby from him in return for the favor, and it will be returned to the Tsurani at the outpost.

In the meanwhile, he mentioned a man nicknamed Smokefingers. Just in Hawk's Hollow, the man tries to rob you blind, but Locklear manages to grab him. Apparently, he is a fellow by the name of Lucan. A very clever lockpick. He has made the townsfolk paranoid with his regular thefts, and one old lady keeps herself locked inside out of fear.

At Hawk's Hollow, there is another curious encounter.
krondor_125.png
krondor_126.png

Somebody tells us that we should watch out for a man with strange markings on his hands. Could he be talking about inkblot himself?
krondor_123.png

krondor_124.png

Anyway, since we are near Hawk's Hollow, we might find this man's chest. Remember the traps at the nearby workshop? I don't think we can be too safe about approaching this chest.
krondor_127.png
krondor_128.png

Indeed, the chest was rigged with explosives, which Locklear manages to remove. A couple of thugs were guarding the chest, and on killing them, we find a spynote:
krondor_129.png

There is a precious gem in that box, nicked from the moredhel. Apparently, this is what the inkblot man wanted, though you wonder why he was intent on grabbing something that the thieves stole from moredhel soldiers.

We go back far north, where we met Philip.
krondor_131.png

krondor_132.png

krondor_133.png

krondor_134.png

Wow, so it IS inkblot himself. I think we have caught on to something here. We now confront inkblot at his house just up north.
krondor_135.png

krondor_136.png

WHAT WE HAVE GATHERED SO FAR:
1. The moredhel were alarmed in advance that the party was coming down south, and placed themselves along the southern road to Krondor.
2. Considering that we found Isaac with a ruby on him, and that a gem stolen from moredhel was there in Lucan's box, we can assume that the moredhel broker for information with some of the locals, and trade precious gems for it. People like Isaac are probably in frequent dealings with the moredhel. Gem thefts have become common because of their leverage in these shady dealings with moredhel.
3. The moredhel, who come from the Northlands, and who can only enter the Kingdom from the mountain passes guarded by Kingdom soldiers, have somehow managed to locate themselves on the south road to Krondor.
4. Teleportation is most likely at play here since the moredhel managed to get so far of us so quickly, and this hints at secret Tsurani assistance to the moredhel.
5. The assassin's guild of Nighthawks has been assisting moredhel.
6. An enigmatic group called the Six is also assisting them.

Anyway, the dwarf mentioned the cave Mac Mordain Cadal. That is a place worth investigating.

We find ourselves there:
krondor_137.png

krondor_138.png

TO BE CONTINUED...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Drop the blue font, it's a pain to read it.

Also, if you want to show every possible screen with dialogues and what not... this will be uber long

Wyrmlord

Arcane
@Jrk
Well, it starts like this.

You see a enemy standing in the distance.

You select the enemy, and get the message that your party is on alert about the enemy.

As you move towards the enemy, and trigger the combat situation, one of the following things happen:

- You make a successful Stealth check and the enemy makes an unsuccessful Scouting check. You get to attack first.
- You make a successful Stealth check and the enemy makes a successful Scouting check. Both sides start out evenly based on character speed.
- You make an unsuccessful Stealth check and the enemy makes a successful Scouting check. Enemy attacks first.
- You make an unsuccessful Stealth check and the enemy makes an unsuccessful Scouting check. You both start out evenly.

Combat takes place in a grid-based map in a slightly top down perspective. There are no action points; you only get one action per turn. The fastest of the party moves first, the slowest moves last.

Possible actions during combat include using an item, attacking an enemy, moving to another grid, casting a spell, staying where you are and regain your stamina, and assessing the enemy's statistics based on your Assessment skill.

Skills go up by usage. You have 60% in meelee. There will be a 60% chance of making a successful sword swing. Additionally, there will be a 60% chance of increasing your skill by 1% on a successful sword swing. Meaning that at any point, your chance of increasing meelee by using it is 0.6 * 0.6 = 0.36 or 36%.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Drop the blue font, it's a pain to read it.

Also, if you want to show every possible screen with dialogues and what not... this will be uber long
That's exactly what I am NOT going to do.

I strictly show those dialogues which are relevant to plot development. I am ignoring general information, training screens,.etc.

Also, I am going to avoid showing character development, combat, exploration of the world,.etc. This is going to be a strictly story LP. You won't have to know which sword I bought and what equipment I am using.

For one thing, I have anyway skipped over moredhel chests. And inside the mine, I am not going to bother telling you about the Brak Nurr. I will however show you a smaller and more important piece of information discovered inside it.

I have seen how this ended up stilting Lannister's Torment LP and Suchy's last BaK LP.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
By the way, I was shocked, genuinely shocked, that the Flamecast spell can be easily found for free as loot in a moredhel chest just at the north between the cities Yabon and Loriel.

I used to always get it for a 'discount' from the priest near the abbey; to think that it can be found completely for free.

The best way to get the best weapons in the game is to go the discount store at Wolfram, and bring them back to the repairers at Northwarden and Hawk's Hollow.

Helton

Arcane
Weird shit man I started playing this yesterday morning you must have already been working on the LP then.

Do you know the mechanics behind the "racial mod" on weapons and armor?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Good work, I''ve been wanting to give BAK another try, maybe I will after seeing this LP :) One request, could you resize the screenshots a bit? Maybe around 500 pixels wide? It's hard reading the text on a 22'' monitor.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Good work, I''ve been wanting to give BAK another try, maybe I will after seeing this LP :) One request, could you resize the screenshots a bit? Maybe around 500 pixels wide? It's hard reading the text on a 22'' monitor.
I think you are right, and I'll upload the next set of text images on a 640 * 400 resolution.

That's the resolution on which the game is played, at any rate.

I must admit though, that I got tempted by the clear sharp image that 320 * 200 gives, because it really tends to give a neat look to somewhat pixelated DOS games.

Certain DOS games have good artwork but a rather pixelated look ends up negating that.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Stereotypical Villain said:
Not as long as the Final Fantasy 7 LP. (But that's probably cause Andyman is a lazy bum.)
The truth is actually that the bum, that I employ for the sake of playing FF7, is lazy.

Suchy

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
By the way, I was shocked, genuinely shocked, that the Flamecast spell can be easily found for free as loot in a moredhel chest just at the north between the cities Yabon and Loriel.

I used to always get it for a 'discount' from the priest near the abbey; to think that it can be found completely for free.

The best way to get the best weapons in the game is to go the discount store at Wolfram, and bring them back to the repairers at Northwarden and Hawk's Hollow.
You can also find it in a chest south of Zun, but before you reach the crossroads to Hawk's Hollow. It's guarded by a few moredhels.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Also, currently I am in a period where I am just going around finding chests to loot and combat encounters to grind. Mainly in Dimwood.

Doing this Chapter 1 makes it much more leisurely to go through the rest of the game. I am also making sure to make as much money as I can by selling stuff to the shopkeeper near Sethanon. Since a ghost is not haunting her place right now, better to sell off loot to her, make huge money, and buy myself Kahooli-blessed Greatswords and Kahooli-blessed Dragon Plate Armors.

I notice that there is not a single spell (except perhaps Bane Of The Black Slayers) which you actually have to buy, since all spells are available in treasure chests.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Except the translation spell and the invisibility ones. But those are just plot devices.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Before I upload the next set of images, I need your help.

Does Photobucket have a feature for increasing image size?

All I see is a feature for reducing it. Supposedly, you can specify a maximum size, and the image will only be reduced if it is larger than it. :?

But if most of you are okay with 320 * 200, I can upload and post the next update straight away.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wyrmlord said:
Before I upload the next set of images, I need your help.

Does Photobucket have a feature for increasing image size?

All I see is a feature for reducing it. Supposedly, you can specify a maximum size, and the image will only be reduced if it is larger than it. :?

But if most of you are okay with 320 * 200, I can upload and post the next update straight away.
I don't think photobucket has a batch resize option. I'm using ACDSEE for resizing and format converting (since resized pgn's are pretty big). If you don't have it, and you want a free tool, you can use the winxp powertools : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx they have a resizing tool.

There is also an online photoshop edition that (I think) it's free.

I prefer acdsee though, it's easier to use and a useful image tool in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom