Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's Play: Midnight/MU

mondblut

Arcane
From the same team that brought you... "Lawrence of Glareorgan"... "Bridge Over the River Trent"... "The Mad Woman of Biggleswade"... and "Krakatoa, East of Learnington"... comes the story of three people and a woman united by fate who set out in search of the fabled Pole of the Sahara and found... themselves.

Okay, not three exactly, unless I am *really* unlucky. And I am not sure about the Pole of the Sahara either.

Midnight/MU is a browser-based multiplayer remake of the famous ZX Spectrum classic, Lords of Midnight. It features PBEM-styled gameplay for up to 8 players per scenario, with an option for "classic" (i.e. original Lords of Midnight ruleset sans few minor details) or "advanced" (paid mercenaries, dragon riding, various skills etc) rulesets. There are 9 scenarios available, including classic Lords of Midnight and it's sequel Doomdark's Revenge maps, as well as 7 new maps submitted by players, some including such new features as ships and water expanses, new races like Marsh Fey and Ice Trolls, and other stuff.

With an introduction out of the way, let's proceed with the game at hand! Several people on the forum expressed their wish to join the proposed session, and so I start creating the game:

screen01.gif

Having chosen the number of players, I proceed to setting up the game. We chose The Rift as a setting, the largest scenario available in the game. With its 100x100 map, it is as large as Doomdark's Revenge and a half. It has rivers and seas (and ships), marshes and Marsh Fey, and all the bells and whistles.

TheRift.jpg

There is a plenty of stuff to set up here. We'll go for a Citadel Grab game (whoever controls 20 citadels out of 26 present, wins), limited to 200 days (whoever has best score by that time, wins). Newly recruited lords are going to be at same time of the day their recruiter is (imagine, in original Lords of Midnight new recruits started at dawn, while it was well past the noon to whoever signed them up). The mountains are going to be impassable, except for mountaineering races and heroes. We aren't letting commanders just fire their lazy infantry in the field, they'll have to provide them tickets home first in some citadel or fort, to keep Labor Union off their asses. Finally, we're going to play with all the advanced rules, such as mercenary lords (only join when paid), dragon riding, rogues (those useless skulkrin characters can finally justify their existence by poisoning enemy armies) et al.

screen02.gif

Now, we select the players (preferably those we already agreed to play with on the forums), and the session is created. Once all of them confirm their participation and select their race, the game is on.

A note on races: there are five playable ones, the Free (humans, no advantage), the Fey (elves, better and faster in the forests), the Targ (barbarians, good when riding on the plains, suck in the forests and when dismounted), the Foul (aka Icelords from Doomdark's Revenge, no advantage) and the Giants (infantry-only, but fast). There are also recruitable Dwarves (infantry-only, slow, better and faster in the hills, can pass mountains), Marsh Fey (infantry-only, better and faster in the swamps) and Ice Trolls (never recruited one) and a bunch of non-military types of characters: the Wise (mages), the Dragons (can fly anywhere for a long distance, but can't recruit), the Skulkrin (nearly useless, but can pass mountains and can serve as scouts) and even a werewolf (can pass mountains). Recruiting a lord not of your race costs significantly more time, so being seeded in the area populated by your own people is a significant advantage on start. But since seeding is random, a racial choice is mostly one of personal preference, affected by the terrain (Fey are better for heavily forested scenarios) and map populace (the more lords of your race are around, the better).

screen03.gif

Two of the players chose the Fey (the blue riders), one a Targ (in red helmet), one a Free (the yellow guy) and one a Giant (this one should be obvious). And so it begins!

screen04.gif

While the game is originally intended to be played via browser alone, most players use a supplemental program called Midnight/MU Campaign Manager. It provides a scenario map, automatically tracking your lords and garrisons and allowing to manually keep track of the discovered stuff - enemy lords sighted, random treasures like horse herds or magic scrolls, and so on. Most of the older maps are fully available in MUCM, so you can know immediately where each neutral lord resides, and plan your recruiting strategy accordingly. Unfortunately, The Rift is one of the newer maps, and so we'll have to play in Discovery mode, making a map as we go. I had a couple more Rift games running and revealed a sizable portion of the map for myself. Hopefully I'll end somewhere I know my way around.

screen05.gif

Fuck. Half the world away from anywhere I know my way around is more like it.

screen06.gif

Ghaaroth stands on the Great Grasslands of Nicobar looking northwest to the Sundered Forest. I look in all directions, not a sign of some neutral army around to sign up. Only the sea to north and east, a forest to northwest with some tower inside, and endless plains to south and west. Fuckity fuckity fuck.

screen07.gif

We march a couple of cells southwest. I see a citadel on the horizon, with an army lingering on it. Finally, my first would be recruit.

screen08.gif

A couple cells more, and night falls. Shit. Hopefully I'll recruit the guy, whoever he is, by the end of the next day. Stay tuned!

girishanthan

Novice
Great introduction.

I think this is a great game which enhances the original Lords of Midnight by actually having challenging opponents to play against!
The additions to original game such as caravans, dwarfs, etc. only make for a more atmospheric experience.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is just a guess, since i didn't play lords of midnight more than three minutes (shallow, shallow, shallow me), but why did you choose the largest map of all if there are only 5 people playing for 200 turns. I wouldn't think that would allow for extreme® battles.

mondblut

Arcane
I am just a sucker for large maps, anywhere. Yea, they rarely get finished, but I can't help it :)

mondblut

Arcane
Day two dawns, and here we are again.

screen09.gif

That guy in a citadel must be really rich, considering the number of villages around. I just hope he is one of the Free, so I can finally dump my infantry in the castle yet lead a decent force to cover my king's royal arse.

screen10.gif

Duh, with an evil helmet and a name like "Undramesh" he can't be anything but foulest of the Foul. I guess I'll have to drag this infantry along for a wee bit more. Otherwise, he is not bad at all. A rider commander, and stacked with riders almost to the brim (2500 is a maximum number of troops without special leadership traits). Not an exemplary of courage, but we can't have everything, can we?

screen11.gif

After a hour and then some of negotiations, the Overlord of Nicobar is happy to lose his gold, his stores, his men, his castle and ultimately his life for my cause. Too bad he doesn't know the locations of his Underlords, despite his pretentious title.

screen12.gif

With both lords having less that two hours left - that is, marching 2 cells at best - they start their separate journeys. Undramesh is heading west, to pick up a bunch of additional riders at one of his keeps - he's got two of these beside the citadel, which helped me to uncover more map - and then will cross the Copperwood Forest and look for more recruits in the valley beyond. The king heads north, the blurry dots on a map hint there must be at least one keep nearby. The lords they'll find will be sent back to scout the woods and the sea coast for whoever I could have missed. Or maybe not, with the sea behind I shouldn't worry about somebody stealing the recruits there for maybe a dozen of turns.

End of day 2.

Celebaglar

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
This reminds me of the old Warlords II with hidden map. Though MU is considerably older, I think. Good luck Mondblut!
Lords of Midnight is older; M/MU isn't.

Incidentally the only reason the map is hidden is that Mondblut chose a new scenario and maps for new scenarios are not published for a few months after release to allow for exploration. Older scenarios have in-game maps as well as full support under the Campaign Manager add-on.

Mondblut, you really should switch to the LOMColour tileset (in your profile options). The screenshots would look a lot better. :wink:

mondblut

Arcane
Celebaglar said:
Incidentally the only reason the map is hidden is that Mondblut chose a new scenario and maps for new scenarios are not published for a few months after release to allow for exploration. Older scenarios have in-game maps as well as full support under the Campaign Manager add-on.

Yeah, I noted that in LP introduction :)

Mondblut, you really should switch to the LOMColour tileset (in your profile options). The screenshots would look a lot better. :wink:

Oh... yeah, it looks pretty nice. I was using the TME tileset, which is disabled in like half the scenarios.

Celebaglar

Novice
mondblut said:
Oh... yeah, it looks pretty nice. I was using the TME tileset, which is disabled in like half the scenarios.
Yeah, we've considered removing it altogether. The trouble is we can't maintain or expand it, since it is the work of someone who is not involved with M/MU development and most likely unavailable to contribute new work.

In my personal opinion, the new coloured set works better anyway. The artwork may not be as accomplished, but the effect is much clearer.

mondblut

Arcane
Celebaglar said:
Yeah, we've considered removing it altogether. The trouble is we can't maintain or expand it, since it is the work of someone who is not involved with M/MU development and most likely unavailable to contribute new work.

Please don't, I really like it. It looks very wintry and desolate, just the way the setting should be.

In my personal opinion, the new coloured set works better anyway. The artwork may not be as accomplished, but the effect is much clearer.

The colored set is very nice next to the original, but somewhat cartoonish. I wish there was "TME/Colour when TME is unavailable" option. I posted a suggestion of turning gfx selection into a priority list on the forum.

coaster

Liturgist
Looks great, although not sure about the minimap. Part of the charm of the original LoM was the first person perspective; knowing that Doomdark's armies were massed behind the mountains, but not knowing exactly where. What was also cool is that you could only see the armies when:

1/ they broke cover and were marching across plains
2/ they were virtually on top of you, eg:

chimpy222-LordsOfMidnightThe.JPG

Is this still the case in M/MU?

mondblut

Arcane
coaster said:
Is this still the case in M/MU?

Of course. You only know the starting positions of the unrecruited lords (and only in older or personally explored newer scenarios). The map shows nothing about the enemies unless you input it manually based on data you acquired yourself.

You can typically see an army from afar though, over a day's worth of travel, unless it skulks behind mountains or forests.

Luzur

Good Sir
i remember playing Lords of Midnight on a Spectrum ZX an afternoon at a friends house, but i never got into the game and i was all Commodore back then.

coaster

Liturgist
Man, it was (and still is) great. I really liked Tir Na Nog, Dragontorc, Jet Set Willy and heaps of other games but LoM was my true love on the Spectrum. Best was to while away the weekends was to keep all the various Lords of Midnight alive, hold Xajorkith, then gradually retake every single keep & citadel and invade all the land round Ushgarak. Finally I'd make sure I nuked the Ice Crown at Lake Mirrow at precisely the same time as I wasted Ushgarak.

Doomdark's Revenge was OK, but the landscape was too cluttered so it lost something of the huge vistas of the first game. The multiple factions were pretty cool though. Half the time Shareth would get killed in some random battle halfway across the other side of the map. And what the fuck happened to Eye of the Moon? Bastards :cry:

cardtrick

Arbiter
Okay, what the hell?

Great introduction.

I think this is a great game which enhances the original Lords of Midnight by actually having challenging opponents to play against!
The additions to original game such as caravans, dwarfs, etc. only make for a more atmospheric experience.

This post seems relevant to me. And yet . . . it's a spammer. How is this possible?

Celebaglar

Novice
cardtrick said:
Okay, what the hell?

Great introduction.

This post seems relevant to me. And yet . . . it's a spammer. How is this possible?
Yeah, I see what you mean. Totally bizarre.

The post content is absolutely relevant, but how did it end up coming from a spam account?!?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Boy I sure do want me some GojiJuice right about now. I wonder why that is exactly.

mondblut

Arcane
I am waiting for my turn 3. That's the way with PBEM (and PBEM-like) games - sometimes your partners just wander away for a couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

mondblut

Arcane
Surprise! The stalling player is back in action, and we are ready for turn 3!

The important development is that in a month and half that passed since last update, I played a few other Rift games, one of which just happened to land me exactly on same spot as this one. And although I got brutally owned (by none else than Celebaglar himself), I made a plenty of advances exploration-wise, so the land of Nicobar and its eastern neighbour Redabar are no longer a terra incognita to me.

screen13.gif

The trick now is not to get carried away meticulously going after every lord in the area, but keep rushing forward and cover as much area is possible (something I keep saying to myself every game, but always fail to back it up).

screen14.gif

Another important development is that I switched to a LOMColour graphic package as suggested by Celebaglar, see major difference in eyecandy. The dawn in the Keep of the Rift is a breathtaking sight.

screen15.gif

The king goes north after one Drenthesh of Nicobar. Looks like a good man to have in a team. In that other game I played, that's about as far north that I went, the land of Vymar that lies northwest from Drenthesh was already crawling with enemy lords. Too bad the daytime is so short, but tomorrow Drenthesh will be mine again.

screen16.gif

Undramesh keeps going west. Stopping by one of his keeps to pick up some more riders.

screen17.gif

And that's it for the day 3. This small army in a keep ahead is one Ingresha, who'll likely join me next day.

Celebaglar

Novice
(Yikes! Those banners framing the viewport render real fugly under the IE6 engine. I'll have to fix that...)

Mondblut, don't let anyone steal your ship! :P

mondblut

Arcane
Celebaglar said:
Mondblut, don't let anyone steal your ship! :P

As long as nobody is waiting for me in Languor once again ;)

(and since I forgot to pick up gold from Undramesh's citadel last turn, that ship is about my only chance to raise sails quickly enough).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom