Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why there's rape for Bullfrog IP returning

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Five years ago this month (gosh, how time flies), we asked Peter Molyneux whether he'd like to make new versions of his classic and celebrated Bullfrog Productions games from yesteryear, such as Populous, Theme Park and Magic Carpet.

Although at the time we had to cut the segment in question from the video interview, five years on there's no harm in revealing that his answer was "I'd love to, but EA owns all the rights". We'd have to dig way into our video archives to find the exact quote, but that was the gist of it, and I remember he added: "All I'd need to do is pick up the phone."

Well, on Peter's behalf, we skipped the phone call and not too long ago ended up meeting in person with Harvey Elliot, boss of EA's Bright Light studio in the UK - the part of EA that's closely tied to all of that classic Bullfrog IP, ever since EA's 1995 acquisition of the studio. So, is it looking at all likely these days?

"For me, I love the old Bullfrog IP, it got me really passionately into games, and I'm really proud that Bullfrog is part of the heritage of Bright Light", says Elliot. "I'm personally a huge fan of Populous and Theme Park, they were some of my favourite games - many years ago, obviously - and I'd love to see both of those remade."

Wow, sounds good?

"The thing is, the romance of the idea is often detached from the reality of executing it. If you remember all the old classics you played, if you go back and play them now, they're not the same. They were right for their time, and the trick with those games is coming up with what's right for the time now. I'm going to look at them at some point, I think there's an opportunity to bring those back in the future, but only if it's right for the time and not just a 'remake' or something. We'd need to do it in a way that's true to the original values, but would still make a great game today."

No don't do that.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200908/ea- ... rog-ip.asp

Harvey Elliot said:
We need to rape

MetalCraze

Arcane
How 'bout your Dungeon Keeper will be a troo hack'n'slash now without all that outdated non-buttonmashing strategic bullshit?

SmokedWolf

Scholar
butbutbutbut...

I was playing theme hospital recently and its still as awesome as it was when I first picked it up and played it on win 3.1...

Ah, Theme Park on Genesis...those were some memories.

Not really sure I want Molyneux's current mindset remaking that, though.

"You'll really care about your Janitor's, and their feelings. They'll become your best friend. And not just because they clean up shit."

laclongquan

Arcane
The rightful successor to Theme Hospital is Startopia. Now that was the shit. Too bad it's as short as TH, and the mod community is not big either.

After Startopia, I still havent found any that is as humous, as immersing as them.

Geofferic

Educated
laclongquan said:
The rightful successor to Theme Hospital is Startopia. Now that was the shit. Too bad it's as short as TH, and the mod community is not big either.

After Startopia, I still havent found any that is as humous, as immersing as them.

I didn't know anyone else liked Startopia! :)

Loved that game.

That game (and many others) really needed a level editor or random level generator.

A game that I still play regularly to this day mostly because of the random level generator is Age of Empires 2 with the expansion and the unofficial patch. Still a good game, still plays different every time.

Multi-headed Cow

Dungeon Keeper, Startopia and Majesty are the holy trinity.

Black Cat

Magister
Startopia and the Dungeon Keepers are great. Majesty i liked the general idea and concept but, like, the missions being more like puzzles instead of free-form strategy somewhat killed the fun, once you had found what worked there was not point in experimenting since it was the one thing that worked, move along and stuff.

Who would have thought angry cunts had such a good taste in management games? I am pleasantly surprised.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In before Dungeon Keeper with whole map uncovered at the start and monsters that don't fight between themselves, regenerate health in a matter of seconds and are always 5 levels above the heroes. You can also upgrade them to a next level with a simple spell that costs 50 mana (seriously, who wasn't tired of wasting all this time to make them grind levels in the training room/arena?). There were also some changes made in all creatures:

- Imps are now invincible thanks to the magic that sustains them. If enemies try to kill them, they just reappear at the heart of dungeon.

- Goblins have dual wielding + bloodlust + berserker charge to make them more formidable.

- Warlocks have all spells at level 1.

- Black Knights are now called 'African American Knights'.

- Dark elves have bikini armour.

We also removed some of the surplus creatures like Trolls, Fireflies and Rogues, because we thought they're either completely useless, or they're too complicated to use. Workshops now produce everything automatically, and imps no longer need to place buildings in your dungeon - you can do it manually with your mouse pointer.

spectre

Arcane
No love for Syndicate, I see.

I would've dug it even if they made significant gameplay chages, as long as they get all the cyperpunk bits in place.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
spectre said:
No love for Syndicate, I see.

Found it pretty boring after discovering that mind-reader exploit where you could end with all your enemies following you...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom