Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Somebody's left us a nightmare - Let's Play The Legacy: Realm of Terror

Black Cat

Magister
11043.png

Chapter the first,
In which the game is explained and our heroine introduced and the Black Cat talks a whole lot about who-knows-what and, like, makes Gnostic jokes or something equally stupid while throwing up lots of verbal tics and trollbait and thingies. Oh, and there are, like, three screenshots and a youtube video, too.

"SOMEBODY'S LEFT YOU A NIGHTMARE...

It's like a dream come true. You have inherited a vast mansion in New England from long-lost relatives you did not know you had. Trembling with excitement, you walk into the house - your Legacy. Ominously, the door slams shut behind you.

Your dream has now become a nightmare!

The Legacy is an Adventure Role-Playing Game set firmly in modern times and includes a host of malignant zombies, ghouls and terrifying entities. You must explore hundreds of rooms using the 'point-and-click' windowing interface, and solve numerous esoteric puzzles to reveal the secrets of Winthrop House. The House is filled with hidden places, mysterious teleports and unnatural devices.

What evil lurks behind the first closed door? Come inside and you'll understand what makes a dream become a nightmare!"

Released back in '93, The Legacy: Realm of Terror is one of the best games ever, period. It is also unknown and forgoten, demonstrating the universe is an unfriendly, unfair place and The Demiurge a total prick, as if that part about enslaving souls and feeding on their pain and misery wasn't enought of a proof. With this Let's Play i intend on changing that, at least as far as The Codex is concerned. And, for the record, i am refering to the part about The Legacy, not The Demiurge, who would kick my pretty ass without even trying since i am not power leveled and all that stuff.

But, you will surely ask since this is The Codex and you need to be contrarian and hip, why should we care? Well, The Legacy is the kind of game that in a fair cosmos no place called, like, RPG anything would not love and devote itself to in body and soul.

As that little paragraph from the manual said The Legacy is a pretty hardcore horror role playing game in a modern setting with influences ranging from the gothic romance to the supernatural mystery to the cosmic horror, and until that Lovecraftian game from ITS stops being vapourware those are bygone things we must treasure.

It is also, like, hard as fuck. Hard as in every single thing you need is scarce, enemies are many and hardcore, and you have, like, a time limit thingie for solving the obscure puzzles, exploring and backtracking the huge house, and fighting the legions of hell or, like, wherever the dead guys, squid wizards, walking fish, space amoebas, and, like, flying cancerous growths or whatever, among many others, came from.

Finally, but not least important, this is one god-fearing, honest-to-Codex role playing game. Each and every level of the huge premises you will be making choices, but not those cheap choose-your-own-adventure ones like in the Twitcher nor those i-am-a-rat-diplomat-so-let-me-pass-in-peace from Fagout. True, honest, gameplay-based choices that will come back to bite you in the butt, usually followed by something involving tentacles, your orifices, and bloody death. Dialogue is few, bare-bones, and far between and the one way to win this game does not involve convincing cosmic horrors about the futility of violence, conflict, and egoism, nor discovering what can change the nature of a soul devouring army of evil creeps from beyond the veil.

That does not mean the game is all about combat, though. Most of the game involves puzzle solving, house exploring, monster evading, and resource management. Most of the time the ideal thing to solve a hostile encounter is to find a puzzle thingie or sneak around the lurking evil thingies by abusing the very predictable routes those that are not scripted to very effectively charge you blindly while screaming bloody murder and trying to tear you open have. Battle is something you do when there is no other way, and usually by exploiting the monsters' ancient AI, meaning just like modern but without jumping behind cover, and as many dirty tricks as you can come with. Every single thingie outside the first floor can kill you without, like, too much effort, and even the basic zombies can pack a punch if you do not invest all your character points in, like, vitality or dodge or something. And since i take pride on my unfit occult-based characters you are going to see a lot of sneaking around, puzzle solving, and lateral thinking on this LP. If a screenshot shows a monster up close i died on the next one, most surely. After all my character can survive, what? Two hits? Something like that. Three at most, i believe. And i am talking of the first level zombies.

And, just so we are in the clear, like i said on the other thread i have yet to win this game. I think i have most of it worked out by now, but mostly i am doing this so you all get to know this pretty obscure game, not to show my great skills at it. You will watch me suffer, and just to make it funnier every now and then i will ask you boys and girls and trannies to choose between, like, the path of needles and the path of pins, or something. In the next chapter do you want Black Cat to be eaten by ghouls, mauled by demons, or blown into pieces by a shotgun wielding zombie commando? Things like that.

So let's begin, shall we? Watch the intro video on youtube. The amusing thing is that usually your first try of the game goes like that: You enter the house, you go through a door, something kills you. Welcome to The Legacy! And that guy who uploaded the video has a name we will be seeing a lot of in this game, so that makes us, like, around eight fans of The Legacy, worldwide! So epic.

A menu welcomes us!

11044.png

Followed by some paper thingie. Can you guess wich news item is the one we care about?

11047.png

So, now, the first thing i need is to choose one from the premade characters or, like a true Codex Warrior should, make my own. There are two kinds of points during character creation: Attribute Points you use to raise the big primary skills, those being stamina, willpower, knowledge, dextery, strenght; Skill and Spell Points you use to raise, as i hope you guessed already, minor skills and spells. When you raise Knowledge, Dextery, or Strenght a small raise is also obtained in all four skills related to that one stat. When you raise Willpower, the stat governing your Magic Skill, during character creation you gain up to two initial spells, get better with Magic in general, and get less prone to fall prey to the fear mechanics i will later explain. Raising stamina gives you more health and, like, poison resistance or something. I never raise that one, true witches and wizards have CON/1 and like it.

So i'll raise my Willpower as much as i can. This allows me to start with two spells and a spellbook. The game seems to choose your one or two initial spells from a batch of three: Flames of Desolation, your basic attack spell; Crimson Mists of Myamoto, your basic protection spell; Sight of the Dark Walker, your basic useless spell that doubles as a magic flashlight or something. The rest of my Attribute points go to Knowledge, raising thus Meditation, the one that really matters to me, as well as Electronics, Mechanics, and First Aid. Meditation is pretty important for a Witch since you need it to take magic energy from Magic Crystals, the only way to get it back that does not involve sleeping and, thus, eating away your few rations first thing afterwards. Most of my Skill and Spell points go also into meditation, with a few in my starting spells. Yes, i know... I am setting for a life of pain, but i like to keep my characters conceptual, and it is way more heroic to save the universe from, like, Cthulhu or Alberoth or whomever it was this time when you are girly the useless witch than when you are WizardCommando The Knight Templar or, like, something.

I will explain a couple of the other skills just so you know.

In Strenght we have Brawling, Lift, Force, and Club. Brawling is, like, the most useless skill ever, since it only governs bare handed combat and even the briefcase is a better weapon than that. Lift allows to pick up heavy objects, and i don't really remember any heavy objects to pick up, but maybe that's because i never was able to pick them up. Force governs kicking down doors, so only pick it if you are going to not get magic, and that's suicide in a game about kicking cosmic horror butt, nor mechanics, that governs also traditional lockpicking. Club governs your skill with blunt weapons like bottles or suitcases or whatever.

In Dexterity we have Dodge, Blade, Firearms, and Throw. Dodge does not only allows for avoidance of ranged damage, but also to pass through enemies. Blade allows for the wapanese's wet dream that is the possesed katana you get later on, firearms govern general pew pew, and throw is as useful as it sounds. At least i think it is.

In Knowledge we have Meditation, Mechanics, First Aid, and Electronics. Strange as it sounds, those are all pretty useful: Meditation i already explained, First Aid is more or less the same than Meditation but related to health instead of Magic Energy and First Aid Kits instead of Magic Crystals. Mechanics and Electronics, meanwhile, both cover the act of repairing either Mechanical or Electronic thingies and picking either traditional or electronic locks.

Since my character goes with Magic, though, the one skill she needs is meditation. Most of her experience points will go to her spells, since with those she can heal and she can open doors and she can kill things and stop things from killing her... Basicly an entire, diferent skillset based around learning spells, investing XP points on them, and smartly using your Magic Energy Reserves, that are never enough as to go around wasting it foolishly. I play that kind of character because it's what i like and i already know pretty well at least a part of the game, but it is not the most effective way to play The Legacy. It is best, at least in the begining, to try to keep a balanced character, so instead of depending on just one resource you can use a bit of everything and go with the flow, using guns when available and using the chainsaw of doom when fuel likes you and using magic when in a pinch and using the magic katana because you are a fag and, like, etc. But balanced, reasonable characters are boring, nya.

So there she is. Say hello to Miss Faith, our not precisely world shattering heroine.

11045.jpg

We have all met goblins that were, like, California's own governor of mass destruction in comparison with our heroine, but she will be kicking butt from multiheaded monsters from the limbo and beyond before long, you'll see.

11046.png

Or, well, maybe not...

The game decided to give me Crimson Mists of Myamoto and Sight of the Dark Walker as starting spells and true Codex Warriors do not reroll, so my ofensive power can be described as absent without permit. The good news are that i know the first level of the house pretty well and can both explore it and loot it without fighting anything. The bad news is that there are no offensive spells to be found in the first level of the house, so i will have to improvise a whole lot afterwards since my only attack is, like, to hit evil on the head with my fat book, and i suck at even that. This will be a pretty fun LP, yessir.

We enter the house of horror, evil, and creepy thingies and are received by some old school DRM... thingie! I have the manual but am lazy so i cracked the game already, so there.

11048.png

11049.png

Be scared, evil! Your time has come!

Next chapter i'll begin the adventure proper, do most of the first floor with the inherent coolness of one who has made that run so many times as to know it by rote, read and transcript a lot of stuff, find a flashlight around twenty steps from the first room that, like, makes totally useless my second spell, and give you creeps the first choice as to what you want to explore next. Maybe i can get killed once or twice just to get in the mood, if you want. And we will meet Puffy the friendly floating monster, too. With small tentacles, or maybe are those tendrils? Whatever those are called, Puffy have them.

Oh, and english is not really something i am proficient with, as i have faith you have guessed by now, and i know i have almost too many verbal tics, so feel free to tell me, like, stop with the fucking thingies and like and whatevers! Or, like, whatever. Constructive criticism is also welcome, but since this is the Codex i will not wait standing.

In a while i'll post the first update and that. Post a bit and that so i can feel loved and wanted too.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wow. The first thing that popped in my head when I saw the character screen font was 'Microprose' Ding! I was right on the money. Keep going, I'm curious on how this game plays compared to Ultima Underworld series. You're right on this game's obscurity too, cause I never heard of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember this game from when it was new. Reviews back then were lukewarm, mostly criticizing the obnoxious difficulty of the game. Considering how "hardcore" most games were back in 1993, that's saying something.

I was always interested in playing it, but never got around to it.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the second,
In which our heroine breaks the first level of the game and gives the readers a false, misguided sense of security.

11079.png

We left our heroine after she made her way to her new home and the door decided she was not going to go back the same way she came. Her only possesions are a Grimoire with two spells, one of which serves absolutely no purpose, and four inventory slots that represent her pockets and as such can only hold a single slot item each, meaning no weapons and no flashlight, among other no things. Now, let's get back to her.

As you can see The Legacy is a bit weird with its screen layout. All sections are customizable: You can change where you want thingies to appear, resize the main window and the map and the message box. You can also save layouts and then load them whenever you want, but i never do it anyway. For this LP the most important thing you need is to look at the map, the white scroll thingie on the bottom left corner of the screen, since there is a lot of walking around to do in this game. Next to the six movement arrows, that you can ignore if you like WASD plus QE, you can see the icons of my two known spells, appearing only when i carry the spellbook on one of my hands. The rest of the time spells can't be used, creating some amusing situations given the characters are pretty much one-handed for most of the game.

The Hit and Aim buttons at the sides of the character are the attack commands: Hit pretty much does what it says with whatever you hold in the hand closer to the button, and Aim does the same to the thingie you choose on the screen when there are several enemies at the same time. Aim is also useful for ranged attacks against enemies that are not aligned with the center of the screen, since those attacks miss, like, a whole lot. As far as i know Magic can't be aimed like this, what means enemies not aligned with the center of the screen equals mages die, kthxbye. The upper bars are Health and Magic Energy, the lower one is the Accuracy Bar: You attack and it decreases, you wait and it increases, the bigger it is the greater chance to score a hit you have. So back in '93 they already knew button smashers where for retards and retards had no right to be playing videogames.

The first floor is easy once you know the trick, so this first update will not be very exiting and will work more like an extended tutorial or something. We are in the lobby, the door just shut behind us all by itself. We can try to get out, but the house will laught at us and the only thing we will learn is that the door is magically sealed and we are, more or less, fucked. At our feet there is a folded page, the first of, like, thousands to come. Our heroine decides to read it.

A handwritten note.

I, Marcus Roberts, of Boston, write this, in the even of my untimely death, to serve as a warning and aid to any unfortunate who follows me into this house of evil.

For years i have been aware of the history and rumors surrounding Winthrop House. I have studied the accounts that recount the vile depravities of its owners and have discerned a disturbing pattern to them. Every 50 years strange lights have been reported in the skies over the house. Police records for the years 1843, 1893 and 1943, show a series of disappearances in the nearby town of Longport that occurred at the same time as the lights. Parish records recount similar tales from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. These events coincide almost to the day. The next date falls soon in 1993.

When the house became empty, following the disappearance of the Prentiss family, i took the opportunity to enter it. What i found has confirmed my suspicions that the house is possessed by an infernal entity that is preparing to break through into our world. God willing, i may be able to prevent this. If i fail, the fate of the world will be in the hands of whoever follows me.

Marcus Roberts.

This guy, that as you can imagine failed a whole lot, is one of the main guys we will be reading about, since he apparently went around hiding pages for us to find, and contrary to what's common in the genre he is pretty much and honest and upfront guy. There is no big mystery about what we need to do, a refreshing change from all those modern games that try to turn "Find the ancient evil and banish it back to hell before it eats the whole world" into something deep or, like, narrativistic. The main error in his notes, though, is that it is not an infernal entity, but an entire gang of ancient evils and their entire army of darkness following.

The upper doors are all nailed shut, so we can't actually do what the guy in the intro did. Other than that and the doors to the rest of this floor the lobby contains a locked door, a painting of a warlock being burned at the stake in which a depression with fragments of green glass on it can be discovered if you either pixel hunt or are lucky, and a statue of a demon inside of a glass display case. If you pay attention to the map you will discover that The Legacy does not make a good job of hiding its secret passages: The map is more or less screaming at you that the painting of the Warlock is really a secret door, and this is one of the more subtle examples.

11095.png

11080.png

There is also another note in the lobby, this one mundane and, thus, unimportant outside of explaining why most of the house is empty.

Dear Miss Faith,

Welcome to Winthrop House. In accordance with your instructions, i have arranged an auction of some of the funishings. The proceeds should cover the estate's outstanding debst. The removals should have been completed prior to your arrival.

I will contact you with news of the auction.

Yours Sincerely

E. Croxley & Co. Realtors.

Most people usually die for the first time around... right now, more or less. You see, they come, take and read the note from Croxley, and since they have a door just in front and nothing more to do in the lobby they go through it, come nose first with a zombie and if they did not, like, buy a lot of brawling ranks they die. This moment also shows just how well done is the game: If you stand there while reading the note you can actually hear the growls from the zombie beyond the door, the volume higher or lower depending on how close or far he is. This way you can actually sneak your way around, instead of just barging out of a room and into a demon's stomach. All monsters do that in some measure, at least that i remember.

Since we are smart and, like, have a very good karmic memory we will go to the opposite side, to a door marked by a small pool of blood in front of it and from which no evil growls come. Beyond we find a small closet with another folded page, a first aid kit containing 7 bandages, and our inventory, an attache case made of imitation leather that will be attached (that's a very bad pun, doesn't it?) to our left hand for the rest of the game. If you leave it you are back into two hands and four small pockets territory, and believe me when i say you do not want that. Even with the case you will be always lacking inventory space.

11092.png

Another note here. Our heroine reads it.

A handwritten note.

Trapped. There is no escape from the house. Mocking laughter taunts me whenever i try the front door. Worse still, i have unleashed hordes of zombies from the mausoleum to the east. The zombies now prowl this floor of the house. Only quick thinking and nimble feet have allowed me to survive this long.

I have discovered gates to planes of darkness from which daemons and other monstrous beings enter the house. They lurk on the floor above this and increase daily.

I have found no way of closing the damnable portals. My spells have proved effective at protecting me so far, but i fear that my time is running out.

Marcus Roberts.

Yeah, that would be the same Marcus Roberts who unleashed the very same zombies that made most players abandon the game in a fit of frustration in the first floor. Thanks a whole lot, guy. We also learn what to expect from the second floor and from the mausoleum. We could now go out and start sneaking around, crawling through corridors while evading zombies and trying to not get killed, but that would be a waste of resources and time. Since Miss Faith has the power known as Metagaming Sight, she already knows what she needs to do to totally abuse the first level instead of being left a humiliated lump in her first adventuring chapter.

First she leaves all her folded pages in the closet, that from now on will be her storage area. Then she goes through the only open door on the west side of the lobby, the one just to the side of the one where the growling came from. There she finds a green bottle, that would be a Club weapon, and a locked wall safe. Not lossing time with any of those objects she again goes west, out to the one of the only two empty corridors in the entire first floor. She enters the next room and gets a keyring, also known as the all-keys-in-a-single-inventory-slot charm, then back to the corridor she came from and now north. Then she sneaks around some dumb zombie in a Patrol, which means it would only attack her if she got in its way. She does not, having played Thief already many times.

11090.png

11054.png

11050.png

11077.png

11075.png

11088.png

11057.png

After a couple steps north she comes to two doors and takes the one to the west. In the floor she can see a worn key.

11066.png

11084.png

She advances to take it and now comes the explanation about the Fear mechanic i promised. Look at the next screenshot.

11082.png

Codex, meet Puffy the friendly floating tentacle monster. He is a kind of monster that mostly just chill around and float and stuff, and that will kick your ass in a blink if you mess with him at the proverbial level one. We will not mess with him, because Miss Faith already did in one of her first tries at the game and she still remembers what happen when you go through a door, come to a green thing full of tentacles, and try to empty your revolver on its cute face. Like, it is not pretty since the game did not screw him over and actually gave it the fireball spell we wanted.

But the important thing about Puffy and its family is that characters all get scared stupid when they face them for the first time, and several times after that. If you gave attention to that screenshot and have a Perception higher than one you noticed Miss Faith is screaming her lungs away at the sight of our new friend, and that some of the movement arrows that should be active are greyed out. That means she is scared and can't, in that particular case, advance towards the creature that scared her, among other things. Now observe the next screenshot.

11093.jpg

Miss Faith once more has come face to, like, thingie with Puffy, and again she decided to cry until her voice went on a vacation. But now she got even more scared than before and, as you can see, her only movement actions are rotating in her place and she can't advance nor retreat. So if Puffy actually were an angry cunt she would be dead by... Around right now, more or less. There are more effects mentioned on the manual, but thus far i have never encountered them either because i always play Witches and willpower is related to the fear mechanic or because i never got to fight the really big, angry things or because they did not implement everything or because i did and just forgot since it has been some time since my last try that got really far.

There isn't really a way to know how frightful a creature is, though usually the less humanoid and the more tentacular it is the more scary it seems to be, so, for an example, no character with a standar willpower will become paralized by facing a zombie or a run of the mill winged demon, even if she can get slightly frightened by the encounter. It is Lovecraftian like that.

Now let's keep going. This game is all about exploration and evasion, combat should only be used when you are sure you are going to win or are cornered or come face to face with a boss monster. I repeat it because we came this way, using Miss Faith's Metagaming Sight powers, to get an item that turns every single zombie on the first floor to friendly: The Juju Fetish. If by chance you got to this room the last and after carving a bloody path through the zombie hordes now you would be creating a new character and cursing, like, a lot. In this room we also get a speedloader with 6 small caliber bullets and another first aid kit. There is also another bottle if you like to hit things over the head with them.

11097.png

11055.png

As soon a our heroine began to leave, cue new encounter with Puffy and a new session of screaming, the lights went out with the sound of distant thunder. Soon they returned, as this first lights out moment is just a warning to start looking for a flashlight or, like, preparing that one useless spell. Since we have the Fetish, though, we have free reign in this level for as long as we hold it in hand and don't draw first blood, so our spellbook is making a trip to one of the pockets and we start leisurely looting around and go get the flashlight. I love that Metagaming Sight spell.

So we start going south. First we come across a rune engraved in the wall, flowing with magic energies. There are many around the house and later become, like, very important but for now they are just decor. Then we come across another petite pool of blood, in front of a wall diferent to the rest... Maybe the game is trying to tell me something? After forcing my little gray cells i notice the minimap shows there is a niche were that wall should be! I told you already this game was not really subtle with the secret passages and stuff. Inside i get my second totally useless spell: I forgot to take a screenshot since i never use the thing, it is a spell that raises the damage you do with a weapon. Miss Faith does not uses weapons, so there. Thank you, game!

11089.jpg

11051.png

I keep going south and come upon our second zombie, and this one is not on patrol: It lurks in a place and whenever you come close he runs up to you and starts trying to keep your head as a puppet. Since we are armed with the voodoo thingie he just, like, stands here growling almost as much as he stinks. We go and take the speedloader and the silver poker, and then keep going south like he isn't here, across another room and into the last one on this side of the first floor. An old clock informs us its now 00:26, and two angry zombies in a corner remind us of why we love our skeletal arm. In that corner there is also a music sheet i don't remember why was important but there you go.

11073.png

legship046.png

11058.png

Since i am back at the start i go through the lobby, leaving the sheet, the bullets, and the silver pocket in the storage closet. Then we go looting to the other side of the house: Smith & Wesson Model 10 with six bullets on the first room, another bottle we leave abandoned, and a room that laughts at us every now and then. In this last one another folded page we find.

11085.png

11065.png

11060.png

A torn piece of note paper.

A lot of strange things have happened to me since that weird guy hired me to investigate this crazy joint. One thing's for sure: nothing or nowhere is safe unless it's marked with a strange triangle symbol. As for the rest... I just can't figure it out!

This is actually pretty critical information: You can only rest in the rooms whose doors are marked with the triangle thingie, and you must rest every now and then to not die, as being tired affects all your actions and, over time, you may fall unconscious and get automatically killed. And the good news do not end here, but let's keep going for now. A couple steps beyond i find the flashlight, abandoned in the middle of some corridor. In the room just over there i find a new spell, this one screenshoted because it is actually useful: Shroud of the Dark Walker, another defensive spell.

11068.png

11061.png

Another clock tells me is now 00:36, and i find my first magic crystal, another rune engraved on the wall, some vials of blessed water i really do not know why i should want but surely will come in handy, and another room with an angry zombie, a pool of blood, and a secret niche marked on the minimap, this one with the key to the safe we already passed by before. Now, to this point i would have killed four angry zombies and either killed or evaded around twice as many Patrolling ones, and still have a lot of first floor to go but i will make it short since it is not very interesting when the zombies throw rose petals before Faith's feet.

11091.jpg

legship057.png

11063.png

The safe contained a battered VHS cassette with "My Brother and I" written on the label. Our heroine gets it and goes back to exploring. She finds more folded pages, this time with an history lesson that reveals who was the guy on the painting we found on the lobby.

A History of Winthrop House.

Winthrop House was built near Longport in 1639 by Governor Elias Winthrop. Although he presided over many witch trials, Elias Winthrop was burnt as a warlock in 1662. At his trial local villagers claimed that Winthrop House was haunted and that Elias "had in thrall diverse divills and daemons."

Elias' only son, Hildebrand, used the house for debauched revelries until 1699 when he died in a fire. The fire also destroyed some of the house and was claimed to have been caused by an oil lantern thrown through a window.

Hildebrand Winthrop was the last Winthrop to live in Longport, but the house's sinister reputation has continued to this day.

She also finds an introductory level puzzle: A room, a key, two trapdoors, two switches. Need the solution? That leaves only part of the north half of the first floor to explore and loot before we can get serious and start dying.

11078.png

11067.png

legship067.png

There she finds three doors she has not the keys to open, a page with a family tree, more bullets and thingies, and wallrunes. In the norteast corner of the house she finds the stairway leading to the already mentioned mausoleum, with another folded page by Mister Exposition left just before it.

11072.png

11098.png

11064.png

A handwritten note.

Darkness lies before me.

The stench of death lies heavy in my nostrils. It crawls up the stairs beyond, seeking to suck the life from me.

That which i now seek, the Golden Torc, lies somewhere ahead. I only hope that i can survive the horror that lurks in the darkness.

Marcus Roberts.

Whatever that Golden Torc is we surely want it, but the problem is that the game decided to screw me with the spell selection and the stair leads to the infamous shotgun totting zombie commando with night glasses, that kills me without even trying as is shown in the next couple of screenshots. I have all my defensive spells active in that, and he misses a whole lot so i could in theory kill him if i had something to cast.

11086.png

11076.png

But i don't, so we go keep exploring. Thxbye, i guess my Magic Fetish does not works well with shotguns or, like, zombies with nighshades are immune to voodoo magic.

Our heroine finds the first of the special rooms: Those are static image rooms, instead of dungeon rooms, that are actually pretty well done and are related to puzzles and stuff. This one is the dinning room: A gramophone plays a pretty happy retro song, a red curtain swings suspiciously, someone has carved "Death awaits!" on Miss Faith's table. We open the dumb waiter and a fresh head falls, but our heroine does not even flinch so i guess she learned something from meeting Mister Puffy. As her fingers come into contact with the, like, thingie it turns into a shrivelled, stinking, dried head that we, naturally, put into our briefcase for later use, showing our heroine has lost not a single sanity point since her adventure began. Behind the curtain there is a hanging man, we get surprised, look for useful crap in his pockets and, finding nothing, get away without even caring. As i said, not affected in the least. The second screenshot also shows an example of the contextual menus you interact with most things with.

11070.png

11056.png

11069.png

Now we can get back to the lobby, since my inventory is starting to feel crowded, and drop more things in the storage closet. We also finally get to open the locked door and find another staircase, this one to the first basement. If we wanted to go down we would find it belongs to the Ghouls.

11087.png

11074.png

legship094.png

11081.png

They are slow and very noisy, so it is actually easy to know when it is safe to move and when it is better to not move. Some have the bad tendency to camp before the door you just got away into, so if there is no other exit from the room you'll have to juggle with making it follow you inside and then running outside all fasty fast. Down there is also the Document's Wallet, that doubles as the all-folded-pages-in-one-inventory-slot charm, at least one spell i remember, and some puzzle rooms. Going down is the first option for later on, so have it in mind.

We go finish exploring and looting what we can access of the first floor.

A clock we pass by tells us is already 1:21, we find some more vials of holy water, the access to the second floor, another magic crystal, and some cold fast food that introduces us to the last game element of this first update: Hunger! You need to eat or you die, but you need to rest or you die, and resting is a quick trip into the future and, thus, into hunger. And you can't just go to the store and buy some food since the house hates your guts, so in the end it works like a time limit that's not extremely strict but manages to both bother and keep you moving. You are too slow, you die. It is even possible to mess your game beyond recognition that way, i guess. I like food in games. System Shock 2 is a great game, but it would have been better if food was actually like in this one instead of a cheap, bad first aid kit. We also get a pouch with coffin dust, that naturally the lady decides to keep in a pocket just in case it might come in handy.

11053.png

11071.png

11062.png

Now, remember Marcus writing about Daemons and Portals on the next floor upwards?

11052.jpg

11059.png

11096.png

As you can see, at least the first part is true! They are hard to sneak around because they also have a ranged attack, and some of the corridors where they lurk are also inhabited by one of the friendly tentacle monsters, so having a fright attack can be pretty deadly. We also can find the first human being with dialogue trees and some traps, since even the decor wants to kill Miss Faith now and the little blood pools turn traitor! Sigh. Going up is the other option for the choice at the end of the update.

And while going back to the lobby we go to the only accessible place we haven't still explored and find another stair to the first basement.

11094.png

We also find a weird room where every step you take also rotates you to the side and where we find a small runestone, warm to the touch, that surely will be of use later. Then go back to the storage closet, leave assorted crap as to not go into wild, new territories with only two inventory slots free, and come to the first choice time! Now the introduction has ended and the true adventure begins, etc. You all know the drill, now the game gets serious and we start dying, as you already saw in the screenshots introducing to new areas of the house.

11083.png

So, what will it be? Up or down? Choose and damn me to all hell, for i do not remember the better order in the slightest. :cry:

@ Unkillable Cat
It is pretty dificult, and a lot of unfair at times, but it is pretty atmosferic and fun because of it. While the first level doesn't shows it because i tricked it out to keep resources and explain the basic game rules sort of like a tutorial thingie, but from the next chapter you will see sneaking around the monsters while listening to the sound cues and all is pretty tense, and all good fun. The shotgun zombie commando, though, is pretty cheap. He always misses the first shot, but if you do not run into a niche an buff you out to high noon with the second he can already kill you, by getting lucky, or at least hurt you bad, and since he is on the other side of a pretty long corridor you do not even know what is atacking you the first time you come across him. And we are, like, in the first level! It will not get any easier from there. :(

@ RK47
It is a very obscure, last count it was really around i having met only eight people that knew of it counting Jasede, nine now with Unkillable Cat. It wasn't well marketed, either, and the dificulty thingie didn't help. I remember reading articles about the game telling about Belthegor, the last boss, being imposible to defeat on certain conditions and all that, when i got adicted to the game and started to researching old news and stuff to satisfy my curiosity about it. So even if it isn't really imposible it was dificult enough for people to believe it was.
But most of the time it depends on the tricks: Like the Fetish for the zombies, or learning how to sneak around for the times when there is no trick, or the mask and robes with the squid magicians. It is uncomon in that the game wants you to play it like a horror game and not a crawler, and then it wants to kill you a lot if you get trigger happy or confident.

Zeus

Cipher
Sweet. I always wanted to play this game. Go, Black Cat.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Definitely looks like an interesting game, I think I'll look for this one. Do keep the LP going, please.

Fezzik

Cipher
This game looks like it could be a lot of fun. Please continue.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Never seen the ending. Good luck, Black Cat. I root for you since you are the first person I ever met who actually played this game, aside of myself. Great game.

Finally, but not least important, this is one god-fearing, honest-to-Codex role playing game. Each and every level of the huge premises you will be making choices, but not those cheap choose-your-own-adventure ones like in the Twitcher nor those i-am-a-rat-diplomat-so-let-me-pass-in-peace from Fagout. True, honest, gameplay-based choices that will come back to bite you in the butt, usually followed by something involving tentacles, your orifices, and bloody death. Dialogue is few, bare-bones, and far between and the one way to win this game does not involve convincing cosmic horrors about the futility of violence, conflict, and egoism, nor discovering what can change the nature of a soul devouring army of evil creeps from beyond the veil.
Marry me.

Edit: Know what? I'm going to download this baby and Dosbox it and complete it for the first time.

Black Cat

Magister
Thanks for the interest and the support, i am happy you like it. Just droping by to tell you i am working on the next update, trying diferent ways to solve the first basement and stuff. It is actually lots of fun, you start going that if you go there, then there, then go to get the spellbook there you get cornered by this evil dwarf thingie but now you can kill it but that wastes %60 your energy bar, but if you first go there, then there, then fish the dwarf thingie to follow you there, then go through this door, wait for the other dwarf thingie to come, escape going through there, run down this corridor, and get NOW the spellbook you do not have to kill anyone and thus save yourself of wasting %60 magic energy, can get the document wallet also since the Dwarf thingie is no longer able to see you come out this other door, and maybe even can now explore those three small rooms over there. It is great, they do not make games like this anymore.

And yes, the plan is take this all the way to the end. It will be long, though, and at times slow since the game is not going to be getting any easier and there are floors where finding the right way and order to do everything can take a lot of experimentation, and there are many things i do not remember how (or if) i made them on previous tries, at times until i find the solution again and go all Oh, yes! Now i remember! Or everything mixes up, like an item i though was left by a boss monster upon killing it was actually what you needed to have a chance to kill it in the first place, but i didn't remember until i found the item completely by accident and went, like, oh... That makes a lot more sense this way, yes.

And good luck with the game, Jasede. I'm glad you are going back with the intention of wining the evil thing this time!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a hint/spoiler sheet from Microprose (they released it because nobody ever completed the game) which I can try to find if either of us need it. I remember reading it, but forgot everything about it.

And a little tip? Don't write "like" so much. It's bad writing and bad talking to use like to mean anything but "John was like James: they were both stark raving mad" and "I like bananas". All other "likes" are informal and sound awful even in informal speech.

If you ever go to a country where people speak English, "like" will make you want to kill them.

Conversation in a bus:

"So, like, she says like, he's like, all tall and stuff. And I'm like, well, why don't you, like, shut her the fuck up?" - "Uh-uh."

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm, like, surprised that you have the guts to make an LP of such an unforgiving and obscure game. Carry on !

ElectricOtter

This looks like a nice, unforgiving game with a puzzle and survival horror theme. Do carry on with the LP.

I will definitely give this a try at 1:00 in the morning with the lights off and the sound on high :D

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the third,
In which our heroine understands this is not going to be pretty but still manages to get a third of a dungeon level closer to victory by deceit and luck alone.

The last update ended with the choice of going up or going, like, down. Since the only one of you who voted said down then down we go. It is actually a pretty good choice, the second floor destroys my nerves with all the traps and teleporters and mind raping daemons. But first, i forgot something about the last update, so there. Two screenshots.

a000.png

a001.png

As you can see, around the last leg of the previous update the lights went off again and this time they didn't came back. I believe that means the fuses died, and i would need to look for the fusebox in order to fix them. Since i already maped everything but the rooms beyond three locked doors the fusebox must be behind one of those, so darkness it will be for now. The good thing is since, like, i already maped everything and i am holding the Fetish all the time when outside the lobby i do not even need to have the flashlight turned on. That's good because i do not know if its batteries can die, but a development on the basement made me think it may be so.

Now, a good thing about the Flashlight is that you can have it in the suitcase, turn it on, and it will actually bring light to your life instead of to the insides of the thingie. That's pretty cool, since the game is already hard enought without pulling a Doom 3 and make us go unarmed and unprotected if we want to see where the hell we are going. In the second screenshot you can also notice she left almost everything in the lobby, as to minimize the running back to dump excess inventory.

So into the basement we go.

a005.png

a006.png

a007.png

a010a.png

I find an angry monster almost waiting for us and start running. While most areas of the basement are well lit others, like the southeastern corridor and corresponding rooms, are dark. Thus in the third screenshot you will notice the flashlight is now lit. I took refuge in that room and found a pretty weird message and a freshly cut key.

A message written in blood.

Alberoth may be one of Robert's all-powerfull and invincible Dark Gods, but he's "Old Nosey" to me. The slimmy toad may be in more than one place at the same time, but he can't stop me from exploring beneath the house or rushing past him up the eastern stairs.

Brother, you are a fool. The powers of darkness will not protect you from my axe!

Poor Miss Faith is really starting to believe there is no place in the multiverse where her local incarnation got a normal family on Fate's lotery. Robert is actually Robert Prentiss, one of the relatives from whom Faith inherited the Winthrop house. The Prentiss family, a branch of the Winthrop family, all disapeared in weird circumstances, baffling the police and trigering the game events. Marcus Roberts, the wizard that went around leaving pages for us to find, came to the house between the disappearance of the Prentiss family and our arrival, and also after Croxley & Co emptied the premises for us, since the realtors didn't mention anything about evil zombie armies trying to eat their brains out and Marcus mentions being the one to free them from the Mausoleum. The note i believe is written by Ellen Prentiss, Robert's ax-crazy sister.

There is a Family Tree in the game's manual, a very cool detail to have included in a game all about gothic family secrets and stuff. Is pretty much the same we find in the game and much easier to read, so i took a screenshot of it. If my memory does not fail me we will be seeing a lot more of those guys as the game goes on.

winthropfamilytree.jpg

I abandon the room. As soon as i'm back at the corridor i hear the sound of monster thingie approaching! That one bugger is a big bother, someway he always knows where you are in the corridors he lurks around and goes there, regardless of it being on the opposite side of the level before. The other evil dwarfs do not act like that, so go figure. I run a whole lot, find a door into a diferent corridor and go through it. There another evil dwarf thingie lurks, but this one does not share the Metagaming Sight of both Faith and the previous one. He comes to us and we run through a nearby door. We are now in a round corridor with diferent surfaces and colors.

a012.png

a016.png

a017.png

There is one of Puffy's relatives doing the rounds, so i get to scream a lot. Since the evil dwarf is still waiting for me to come out the door i go instead to the first door, from the east, on the northern wall. Beyond i get the Document Wallet, run to the stairs (there is where you appear if you come to the basement through the stair on the east side of the first floor instead the one in the lobby) and before it i found another page left by Marcus. Without losing a moment i run back to the area with diferent walls, because every now and then the evil dwarf decides to go back and things can get ugly if he does, since i did not bring the Voodoo Fetish and being forced to sneak around the first floor to escape the attack is as bothersome as it sounds.

a018.png

a019.png

a020.png

Now that i am safe i can read the note.

A handwritten note.

My investigations have led me down here to the basement. Here i have discovered degenerate once human creatures. These ghouls feast on rats, spiders, each other, and myself, if i am not careful. One almost caught me. I suspect that one scratch from its poisonous claws would prove fateful.

Be careful whoever follows.

Marcus Roberts.

This is when i noticed that i had mixed up the evil dwarf thingies and the ghouls, and remembered the ghouls are not the evil dwarf thingies. So there, the dark grey thingies that are running around trying to get me in the first part of this level are not the Ghouls, those inhabit the northern part of the level and have an awful, very abusable pathfinding. The Document Wallet i found serves to hold all your documents and occupies a single inventory slot, so i put the two ones i right now have into it and later, when back into the lobby, i will put all the others too.

In the room to the west of this area i found a big kitchen knife but leave it there because i would only hurt myself with it. One of the northern rooms contains a monster and a vial of blessed water that so far does not look like being worth it. The other i can't get in, every time i try i am confused and appear somewhere else in the square corridor, so later i will have to get back to it. As you can see in the minimap there is also a secret passage in the southern passage of the loop, with two vials of blessed water on it. And yes, i am stupid and forgot to turn off the flashlight. (sob sob)

a024.png

I abandon the area through the other western door, that takes us back to a diferent section of the begining corridors. I get into the first room from there and get my first offensive spell! The bad news is that killing something with it takes around 60% of my energy bar, so i will still be sneaking and running and screaming a lot when battle is not forced down my throat.

a025.png

a026.png

As you can see in that screenshot i also have got a whole lot of experience, even if i have not killed a single monster yet. The game awards you experience by almost everything you do, usually in very smalls doses. That amount i have is just enough as to get a spell to the point where it does not fail every other try, so i will not be investing it yet. I try to leave the room but the all-knowing evil dwarf appears almost as soon as i put a feet outside, so i run back inside. For a moment i think the only way to escape is going to be get better with my new spell and blow him to pieces, but then i decide to try something weird that, somehow, works. It was kind of hectic so i didn't got screenshots.

I open the door and wait until he is upon me. I retreat until my back is to the wall, the door automatically closes but now he is inside the room and comes to me. I start pressing forward madly, remember you can dodge through an enemy? Third try is the charm and i am now back at the door with the monster behind me. I open the door and leave, and i hope he likes his new place because he is not going back outside, like, ever again.

a027.png

By miracle i wasn't wounded, and this small adventure also freed me to explore the rest of the southern part of the first basement. There is one room with one or two evil dwarf thingies where i do not believe i will be entering anytime soon. Next to this one i find the skull room, one of those special rooms i told you about. In this one the walls are carved to look like skulls, everything is of some red tone, there is a big ruby-like thingie on the wall that does not have a contextual menu, and a daemonic skull high on the other wall from which a beam of light shines onto the floor. This will become important later on, i remember. The last room of this corridor has a box of snacks that go right into my suitcase.

a028.png

Now i go to the southwestern corner of the basement, ignoring for now the door that would allow me to pass into the rest of the complex, located right in front of the stair into the lobby. The first door next to this other one leads into a small room where a shotgun thingie modified to fire rock salt crystals is. I leave it here for now and go explore the three rooms along the south wall of the corridor, unlocked by the freshly cut key i previously found.

a029.png

The first one contains a wall mounted safe just like the one where i found the Video Casette. The same key opens this one, revealing an Electronic Tool Kit i take with me.

a030.png

a031.png

In the next one i find a couple batteries, a healing spell that i add to my collection, and an M16 clip. This is the development i was talking about: Batteries! I hope that does not mean my flashlight is going to die sooner or later, but now i will never be sure until it happens. I remember a puzzle involving some boombox, though, so maybe those are for that and not for the flashlight. In the last room, a small closet only, i find a gas can and a rock salt crystal. I leave all those things here, at least for now. I go back outside...

a032.png

a033.png

a034.png

... take a step and another evil dwarf thingie jumps at me. I start running until i get somewhere safe since the creature is bloody persistent. I am now at the room where i found the snacks, and the situation is somewhat familiar, so i decide to try again the same thing i did with that other one. It works again, but barely.

a035.png

Later it would become obvious that this was just me being a lucky cat with the rolls. When i tried it for a third and a fourth time i managed to do it the fourth, but not before lossing half my life bar. The third one i died, so i will just be glad it worked when it did and be done with it. Maybe it would work better if i use the Dark Shroud? I will try it, later, since big empty rooms are plenty on this house and this takes out an enemy monster for good as long as you do not need to get back into the room. My good luck also leaves me queen of the southern reaches of the first basement, too.

Going back to the niche this little fucker came from i found absolutely nothing. Frustrated i start walking into the northern wall and, like, came out the opposite side. This secret passage was not market on the minimap, so maybe i was being quick to judge the subtlety of The Legacy's level designers. There we find our first ghoul.

a036.png

a037.png

a038.png

Unlucky for us is that Ghouls have poisoned claws and even without that they can hurt you a whole lot, like to be in packs every now and then, and patrol many of the corridors on the basement middle area. Lucky for us their pathfinding sucks, and it usually just breaks when around secret passages as shown in that last screenshot. The bad news is that every now and then they reset, become free of their idiotic AI, and kick your ass without even trying. The good news is that i have a revolver and lots of bullets in the lobby and a sucker that just got himself trapped into a wall. Get my drift?

a040.png

Make that two suckers.

I made this one shorter because now the game became hard and i prefer to go slowly as to go trying things and find the better way to do it all. I was longer with the southern reachs of the first basement than with the entire first floor, so far. And the Ghouls seems to be pretty though when not traping themselves and becoming sitting ducks, so i will exploit their sitting duckness in the next one to have some breathing space, since there seems to be a lot of them on the middle area of this level.

@ Jasede:
I promise not to read the hint thingie until it is really, really needed, if you find it. And the like thingie is a bad tic of mine, sorry. I'll try to keep it under control more from now on.

Cynicus

Augur
Hey, uh, man, like, um, don't worry about it, ya know? :P

Sweet LP so far. Please do carry on. I can't believe I missed this game.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the fourth,
On which Faith notices she is adicted beyond salvation and needs to solve this game to save what life she still has. Also, she explores the first floor, watches the video previously found, discovers more about her beautiful family, finally goes beyond the lobby painting, finds a demonic skull that talks in her mind, some random guy in love with a robe, and repairs the ground floor's fusebox with a key found elsewhere. She also evades lots and lots of kawaii monsters.

The previous chapter ended as Faith valiantly planned to be a cheap girl and kill the poor, retarded Ghouls. This one begins some time after such an experiment, that decidedly was not a nice idea since she spent all her ammo missing the first one and then getting killed by another one that started chasing her no matter where she went. And the entire basement is crawling with the damn things, many doors are such from one side but wall from the other so you can't really evade the enemies, that usually came in groups of two. After running and screaming for a while she managed to get killed by whom i believe was Alberoth itself in an epic battle involving a single attack that by me was not made, but i was too busy panicking and trying to dodge beyond it as to take a screenshot. I will provide one next time we meet. So she left her gun and bullets in the basement's closet, swearing to come back after finding the accuracy buff the manual told her about, and went to explore the second floor, first one if we count zombielandia as Ground Floor instead of First Floor, a mistake i made because my English is not precisely stellar. Sorry.

First thing she founds upon arriving to the second floor is a box of matches that soon will become instrumental to her victory over evil itself, or something. She also founds some girl going around the corridors but do not manages to talk to her or anything, even after doing clicky click like three thousand times upon her. This is strange since i believe to remember she was talkable, but maybe my memory is playing tricks again. At least soon afterwards i did find one talkable... Guy, for calling it something. In the last screenshot you can see her if you, like, squint.

b002.png

b003.png

b004.png

In the first two rooms she explores she finds a couple of pages torn from the diary of Robert Prentiss.

b005.png

Page torn from a diary.

The time when the stars enter the correct alignment for the opening of the final gate will soon be here. As the moment grows nearer incursions from the ethereal plane are increasing. Fortunately, i can control them, but only at great cost. Any lapse in my vigilance would result in an increase in ghostly apparitions and daemonic intrusions.

Robert Prentiss,
5 july 1992.

b008.png

Page torn from a diary.

A bad mistake. I must concentrate harder on the ancient books. While attempting to cast a spell to locate my sister, i inadvertently summoned the fire spawn into the asylum. I cannot control them. I hope the doors continue to hold.

It must be that i am The One. I am of the bloodline, my magical powers should not fail me like this. Perhaps it is because my sister still lives. She is older than me, even though she has rebelled against her destiny, she still carries the blood.

Yes, it is because of Ellen. I shall find her and kill her, but first i shall make her pay. Then none shall stand in my way.

Robert Prentiss,
12 september 1992.

Miss Faith begins to feel right at home, indeed. If you go back to the family tree i show you last time you will notice, probably, that all but one of the Prentiss branch's members that were still alive in '92 (Karen Daniels, Robert Prentiss, and Catherine Rosemonde) died that very same year or, in any case, disapeared that year and are presumed dead. But Robert Prentiss' Ax-crazy sister did not have a date of death...

I continue exploring for a bit. I find another rune on the wall and beyond a door i find an evil casper thingie that by some strange reason does not count as an undead and thus i start running and close the door on its aethereal nose. Luckily they don't seem to be able to go through solid matter. When returning to the main corridor i suddenly become disorientated, and find me to be in the wrong end of it! Fast i go back to the side i was exploring, because i am structured like that and do not like to go around doing things out of order. I explore a big empty room, and again come across the lady i mentioned, now with better images.

b012.png

b013.png

b014.png

b015.png

b016.png

b017.png

As you can see in the last two screenshots there are, on this floors, corridors marked with a blood stain with switches near them. Those bloodstains mark traps: If you walk into them you are hit by lightning. If you press the switches, though, you disapear and reapear on the other side, where there are also switches to go back. Before doing so i explore a bit to the south, finding more rations and a door that takes me to a corridor where monsters lurked, so i went back by now. There are two switches on this side of the traps because there are two trapped corridors conected to that spot.

b018.png

b019.png

b020.png

b021.png

b022.png

After finding a locked door on the very place where i appear after trying the switch corresponding to the other corridor i went back to the main one and continued exploring. There i found a room where another ghost lurked, but this was different in that he didn't try to attack me. I looked around the room and found a Kevlar Vest, and then decided to take my chances approaching the ghost.

b023.png

b025.png

b026.png

b027.png

As you can see he wasn't hostile. Strangely my memory failed me again, the game do not have dialogue trees but a system similar to that from Eye of the Beholder, where you choose to either attack, leave, or talk with the thingie. I must be getting old.

Wait!

You must listen to me.

We served the Cult of Melchior in life and now we are enslaved to it in death.

Melchior deceived us. We performed the Rite of Opening for HIM. In exchange HE took our souls. Now we writhe in eternal torment, damned to wander this foul place until we are released.

The painting binds us. Burn it and set us free.

But hurry for HE knows your every thought.

Those were his words. Melchior is another of the Dark Gods that are related to this little house of fun and warm feelings, along with Alberoth and the Big Bad, Belthegor. I believe that by HIM and HE he doesn't mean Melchior, since it speaks his name in two occasions, but to Belthegor itself. No sane person would call that ugly thing neither a he nor a she, though.

In the next room we found another message by our favorite nossy Wizard, Marcus Roberts.

b031.png

A handwritten note.

I am not alone in this place of evil. In the asylum above i caught glimpses of a white robed figure clutching an axe. Fear overcame me and i fled rather than investigate further. I will attempt to return there later.

Marcus Roberts.

There is a family meeting to look forward to!

The now twice mentioned Asylum is either the second or third floor, i do not remember which right now. In the past it was used as a private asylum for all the wrong reasons, as you may have already guessed. We will learn more about that later. In the room where i found that note i also got another magic crystal. Once outside i look to the south and notice beyond this point the walls are diferent. The screenshot was too dark, i do not think it can be seen but there you go.

b034.png

If you try to go in that direction you become disoriented and appear back here, or near by. So i go in the opposite direction and come to a door from behind which a sound of knocking comes every time i pass by. Next to the door there is a wall plaque reading "7". That i believe is part of a puzzle i will try to solve in the next update, since i do not think it is possible to do it without clearing some corridors of enemies and i didn't feel like fighting right now. I get depressed watching my magic energy go down. (sob sob) The only other door on this small side corridor is locked.

b035.png

b036.png

b037.png

I go explore some more. On yet another corridor i find a bathroom where a ghost lurks, so i close the door on its nose and will have to explore it after i find and burn that painting the nice ghostie told me about. There is also another locked door and, in front of this second one, a third one that does not appear in the map. That only can mean trouble, so i leave it for later, for i will need to go through there to solve that puzzle of the wall plaques and there is another thingie i want to take care of first.

b038.png

b039.png

b040.png

I go south from this door and come to where yet another corridor crosses with this one i am following. There is also a door, but when i try to enter a winged demon tries to attack me from that new corridor. If you see the map you will notice that the room i am telling you about is surrounded by corridors, so i start running around with the demon tailing me and enter without it being able to hit me with his spell thingie. The screenshots of the pursuit show text that will not appear until i do something inside this room because the game does not refresh the message windows upon reloading and i had forgoten to take screenshots the first time.

b041.png

b042.png

b043.png

b044.png

The room is some kind of TV room. There are a couple comfy places to sit, a cabinet with old newspapers and TV guides, a shelf with movies and books about movies, a first aid kit on the carpet and a TV with a VHS thingie. I take the bandages and then go to the TV, sit on the carpet or something, and put the tape we found back on the ground floor, entitled "My Brother and I", on it.

b047.png

b048.png

b049.png

Ellen has escaped.

We've been caring for her since she tried to burn the house down in '67. Now she's free again. I don't know what to do.

She's killed my wife, Catherine, and my mother. Now she's after m...

b055.png

b056.png

b050.png

Why don't you tell 'em the rest, brother dear? About your mother and her family, about the ring, and about the Dark Ones? Why not, Robert, why?

b051.png

So i guess that solves the Prentiss case. We'll have to find Ellen and thank her for allowing us to receive this beautiful property as our legacy, and be on the lookout for that ring thingie, too. Maybe she has it? I do not have the least idea, but sooner or later we are going to find out. I go back exploring corridors and find another locked door, an empty room, and a door from which cold emanates. There is a ghost on the other side, maybe something more but i will leave it for when i burn that picture thingie.

b057.png

b058.png

b059.png

Another electrified blood stain with switches, but this corridor is tricked. When you move along it all your movements are inverted, so if you are looking along the corridor Forward is Backward and vice-versa. If you are looking the wall Strafe Right is Strafe Left, and the same the other way around. There is that girl again, too, whomever she is. I still can't talk to her. At the time i didn't think in trying to fry her ass with a spell. I will try that on the next update!

b060.png

b061.png

The first door is locked, the second one leads to a nice room. In the floor there is a green semi-precious stone whose edges are chipped, and after long and deep effort of my brain cells i manage to relate that clue with the line about the hollow depression with fragments of green glass embedded around its edge, so now we need to go back to the lobby. There is also a picture, a chest with some drawers, a bed, and a demon figurine that you do not want to touch. Actually, to not mess with the demon figurines of the first floor is one of those memories marked with fire in my mind every time someone mentions The Legacy. The little creeps pack a punch and you can't get back at them in any way. I believe that crystal case encasing the demon figurine on the lobby was to protect the thieves from the damn thing and not the other way around.

b062.png

And now it's back to the corridor for us. There is another open room down the hall, in this one we find a museum plaque reading "Shuriken" that goes to our suitcase and, in a secret niche marked into our minimap, a new spell, called Aura of Mystic Defense, and a .38 speedloader. The museum plaque is related to one of the upper floors: A private museum, because evil wizards are not paupers. As i prepare to leave i hear the sound of a winged demon coming from the corridor... It's evasion time! I wait for the right moment, jump to the hall and take the first corridor north. There i get into an empty closed, then into a pretty cool bathroom.

b066.png

b068.png

b069.png

b070.png

Traces of dried blood and flesh are lodged around the drain hole of the bath. The mirror fails to cast our reflection regardless of where we stand. Clumps of matted blood-stained hair lie around the drainhole of the basin. The rug has faint traces of dried blood upon it. A vile stench emanates from beneath the lavatory seat.

Okay, in case your brain does not react to those descriptions taken directly from the game by screaming I'm out of here and going back to the corridor you can actually try to raise the lavatory seat, and then a giant worm appears from it, takes a bite, and goes back to wherever he came from. Or at least that's what it looks like, but the message that appears in the window is... A giant worm savages you! or something, and i will now have nightmares about evil fucking, never better used the term, worms imported directly from Japan. Actually the first thing on my mind upon reading that was an image a friend of mine found in a japanese imagedump or something and sent me ago some time ago just to laugh at my face of horror after opening it, about a faery trapped in a spider web with a spider and a worm that were not precisely eating her while she cried. Then i decided to go for a cofee, quit the game, and follow only after forgeting all about that.

Back in the corridor and then into another closet, this one with a small aluminium alloy key that i claim for the new empire. On another closet i find a vial of blessed water i have no space to take with me, and then i keep going down the corridor and at last manage to find this floor's fusebox. I switch it on while gesturing dramatically and saying "Fiat Lux" or something with a trembling voice full of emotion, etc. Then i am back to the door, but once more the sound of a winged demon tells me to stop. I wait, twice or thrice test the waters, and when i do and he is where i wanted him to be i make a run for the stairs that go back to the ground floor, nya. From there is straight to the lobby.

b075.png

b077.png

b078.png

b079.png

b080.png

b081.png

I put the green gem in its place on the picture and with the sound of a distant thunder our ancestor's image comes apart, revealing a door behind it. Just because, i tried to burn it down first but no, this isn't the picture i have to burn to free the ghosties. Saving twice a corridor i go through this new entrance and into a couple small corridors and then into another stair.

b082.png

b083.png

b084.png

b085.png

I appear not at the basement but in a civilized passage and in front of a civilized door. Pleasantly surprised i go through the entrance and into disapointment, for i had forgoten everything about the room of evil chains.

b086.png

There are zombie pieces all around, a warning of what happens if you do not time your press of the forward arrow to when the chains, moving somewhat like a pendulum, are most appart. They pack quite the punch. So i time it right and move forward, into the blue light. The message window tells me my mind reels as i enter the portal, but i do not know what reeling is so i will just imagine it is something very trippy. Though i was pretty scared when i read that message, for i thought this was a backdoor into the astral plane, and i hate that part of the game so much i remember it clearly. Lucky cat as i am i only appeared in the room of evil chains' twin, showing at least those guys did a bit of their homework about the theory of occult teleportation. Outside this room lies the temple, very shiny and cool and egypt-like. Or, well, almost... The doors all have a sephirotic system on them, and that's more Hebrew Kabalah like. Given the hobbies this family have i would say chances are it is supossed to represent the qliphotic one, too.

b092.png

b093.png

b094.png

b095.png

b096.png

b097.png

b098.png

b101.png

I found a magic crystal on the first room i enter, and both a folded page and a safe on the second one. The safe, this time, is empty. I take my time to look at the egyptian chairs and the egyptian tables, both stolen from tombs in egypt or something like that. Faith's family may, like, totally suck and be a little omnicidal but they surely had a lot of money and contacts. I read the page: Notes from Nathan Prentiss, who was Robert and Ellen's dad. He died in '64 according to the family tree.

The Working Notes of Nathan Prentiss.
Vol. 2.
June, 1962.

I and my Acolytes of Doom have completed the Rite of Forbidding. We have left the Mark of Eliphaz in many places within the temple. The Mark is death to all trespassers; while we Acolytes, clad in the likeness of the Mark, may pass safely. We alone know that the Mark acts through the eyes. Its power lies in its very aspect.

It is nice to see a close, traditional family where the sons follow the path of their parents, who followed the path of theirs in turn. Some would say that leaves our heroine's branch as the black sheeps, but we should remember she is also a witch and that she is preparing to anihilate the hordes of hell by means of a spell known as the Mental Violation and goes around keeping human heads and coffin dust and skeletal arms in her suitcase.

I go back outside and then into another room. In this one there is some blond guy keeping watch on a robe or something. There is also a horned demonic skull on a corner, from which magic emanates. If you try to use magic while having the skull in your inventory you hear voices in your head and the magic automatically fail, so we will be leaving this beauty back in the lobby as soon as we get back. I tried to talk to the guy but he tried to put a knife in my ribs, though he did not follow me when i took distance, so he is either trapped in some spell thingie or the robe at his feet fucked his pathfinding beyond recognition. He also must really suck at fighting, he missed twice or thrice in the time i reacted and retreated one step. The robe i believe is one of those mentioned in Nathan's notes, so i will have to kill him and take it sooner or later. Since i lack the keys to explore more of the temple right now it will be later.

b102.png

b103.png

In the next room there is a locked door and an unlocked one that leads to a small alcove with a pressure plate, but in this game there are no stones that i remember so i am, like, totally out of ideas. And yes, that's a dungeon crawler's joke for you. Going back to the begining of the temple i go down the other corridor and come to another locked door.

b105.png

b107.png

I return via Room of Chains and, once in the lobby, take the electronic kit with me and go where those doors i could not open before. Some of the keys i found since then does the trick and i found both the ground floor's fusebox and some tools. The fusebox is dead, but with the electronic kit i manage to repair it. I leave both kits back in the lobby. A clock near of where the tools were said it was 03:44 when i found it.

b120.png

b122.png

Now the game is begining to open and this is going to get messy. I am quickly reaching the point where evasion is not enough and i will have to start mixing it with banishing evil things the hard way just to finish exploring the first floor and the basement. I will also have to kill the shotgun zombie now that i have a kevlar vest, kill that sucker with the robe when i manage to get a key to the temple, try to kill that girl doing the rounds on the first floor just to see what happens, and find a way into the assylum to meet psycho auntie. Oh, yes, and manage to get me killed again by that thing i believe was Alberoth so you guys can see it, i liked its art a lot but it is pretty much out of the way and i got there more by accident while running away from the Basement's ghouls while screaming for mommy and being totally lost by those doors that are only doors from one of the sides. (sob sob)

Until next time!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nice, long update. If you could, try making the screenshots twice the size. Play with Dosbox scalers so the window gets bigger.

Black Cat

Magister
Thanks for the comment. I do not understand how that thingie with DosBox works so i will resize them with Gimp or something, i even got the windows to be bigger than my desktop and the screenshots still came, like, 320x200 or something, and most of the scaling combinations killed dosbox upon launching the game. The ones that worked had lots of garbage and artifacts, so i am out of ideas and i wanted to keep going with the game so i gave up. :(

And i do not know why Imagethingie does not resize them, i always mark the thingie to make all the images get to 640x480 when uploading, but they do not get converted at all. So i'll do it by hand next update.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I bring you tidings of madness and woe - flashlight use batteries. Accuracy boost spell somewhere in Museum, above Asylum.
You really need good melee weapon. Try explore crypts (where zombie with shotgun) or find funeral urn in basement.
Great game, completed it twice ages ago. Just looking at this screenshots compels me to play third time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You... you completed this game!?! On your own!?!?!!??!?!?!?

Edit: !?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Edit 2: !!!!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe use solution several times for hard puzzles, I don't remember that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom