Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress There can never be enough FF-faggotry - LP Final Fantasy 3/6

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
FINAL FANTASY VI

This absolute gem of the FF-series has a naming problem, being actually sixth in the series but originally named third because it was the third game released in US. Same problem troubles the other SNES released FF-game, FF 2/4 as well. Nowadays most folks just follow the Japanese numbering system.

This was the absoulute pinnacle of JRPG's on 16-bit systems and definately the crown jewel of Square until Playstation faggotry claimed everything and FF VII plummeted the series into sewers, as has been aptly demonstrated by Andyman Messiah.

I know I'm supposed to keep slugging it out in TFTD and this game is somewhat long but mayhaps I'll persist to the end. I've finished the game few times before so at least I 'should' know what I'm doing. I am playing the US released SNES version. Fans have translated the jap-version and then there's also the Playstation abomination which I'll choose to ignore - it has meaningless CGI-cutscenes. The only difference between US and Jap versions are few names and the general level of difficult

Without further ado...

Dramatic! FF6 has such sweet, sweet music - it is living proof that skilful composer means more than 5.1 surround specs. To witness it for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2R3V3cq ... re=related

And out they moved.

Are the pics alright? Too small?

I remember playing this on an emulator several years ago... Do go on.

On another note: Two LP's at once? You da man and all that related ghetto slang.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well I'm oldschool in the sense that I originally completed it on SNES so :CodexKoolPoints:
I'll probably end up switching between this and TFTD. Anyway!

And this is the point where we gain control. The mysterious "sorceress" is being accompanied by two brutish soldiers and they have just entered the near-arctic town of Narshe. They are empowered by MagiTek-armor, sort of powered armour/walker combination, which is very powerful. Remember, actual "magic" is mythical stuff still and people don't really believe in it - MagiTek is just advanced technology. Or is it?

First, better check inventory:

Not too impressive group of would be heroes. And the identical portraits of Wedge and Vicks tell the perceptive player that they might not be heroes after all.

Inventory is completely empty. How about equipment?

At least no wooden sword.

There's our mysterious sorceress in all her glory. What is her part in all this?

Oh and in the case that someone might think of leaving:

Compelled, the group moves deeper into Nashkel, searching for this "Esper", remnant of the 1000 year old War of the Magi.

Unfortunately, there's no diplomacy option, so:

FF6 combat is probably familiar to anyone who has dabbled in the genre. One thing to remember is that all toons will have special abilities which usually are more powerful than the regular "Fight" so part of character advancement is learning how to properly utilize them. This is encouraged by the several multi-group fights that the game has and which have not been surpassed in any later FF-game, unfortunately. PSX/2/3 dumbing down!

face.gif
Filty hillbillies are no match against Imperial MagiTek armour!

In the fight, one can notice that there clearly is something special about the girl, since her Beam choices are much, much more extensive than what the regular troops have.

face.gif
Score one for the good guys!

One more point about combat - there are 4 different starting possibilities for fight, straight, back, pincer and surrounded. This is pincer:

Straight is the normal but one side can gain surprise, "preemptive attack", against the other. Back is where enemies have surprised us and strike from the back, dealing extra damage. Pincer is when enemy has surrounded the party - they might not have surprise but they do cause extra damage. Surrounded is when the team manages to surround the enemy which is naturally a great state except that since the party is divided, group spells do not affect everyone anymore.

face.gif
Forward!

face.gif
Rats. I hate rats.

face.gif
There's only one tunnel that our MagiTek-armour can fit in! Onwards!

Boss time.

Pretty straightforward. Even if you do attack the shell, the "MegaVolt" does only ~50% damage to a single character. Clearly we are still in tutorial-land.

Giant snail defeated, the party enters the underground hall.

FADE TO BLACK

To be continued...

GarfunkeL said:
Well I'm oldschool in the sense that I originally completed it on SNES so :CodexKoolPoints:

You get no Codex Kool Points for playing a jRPG, especially if you ditched X-Com for it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey the LP scene is booming ! Do continue. FF6 is indeed the best one. The pics could be a bit bigger, as you can't clearly see the players sprites and backgrounds (at least in my 22 inch screen).

Also, for tainting the codex with more FF faggotry you are condemned to try and remove the curse from a certain armor you'll get later in the game.

KurtH

Liturgist
Stereotypical Villain said:
On another note: Two LP's at once? You da man and all that related ghetto slang.
its the same game baka gaijin

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The mysterious sorceress wakes up in a cosy little bed.

She carefully gets out of the bed, confronting the man watching her.

Naming time! I'll be boring and just use the default names.

Here we go!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000k.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110001.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110001x.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110001s.png

Poor Terra tries to make her way to the mine but alas!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000w.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000.png

Terra rushes into the mines!

Where some filthy wererats tried to devour her!

They did not pose any serious challenge. Unfortunately, the guards reached her!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000.png

Terra tried to reach the door but more guards poured in.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000c.png

Quickly they surrounded the young woman, who backed into the corner.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000d.png

When suddenly the floor gave away under her feet and she fell down!

Stunned, she tried to keep moving but fell down, knocked out.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000k.png

Poor Terra!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As her consciousness slips away, foul memories surface in her mind.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000d.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000v.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000n.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000f.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000s.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000y.png

finalfantasyiiiuv110000a.png

You can't see it but they are making cure little nazi-waves

EDIT: it seems that Imageshack cannot resize images anymore. Or it does not have any effect.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Swiftly, our "treasure hunter" locates Terra, swinging heroically by a rope to reach her.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000p.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000t.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000l.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000d.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000s.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000d.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110001.jpg

Allrighty! Our first group battle!

FF6 has so many characters that if you have them all in your party when you reach the final castle, you have to leave one behind. That is probably a good thing because there's a good chance that one character dies-by-plot if you choose so and then three other characters are 'hidden', that is, you do not meet them as the plot goes along but have to actively search for them. And of course, in the World of Ruin you might not- but let's not get ahead here.

Basically, we have 3 groups of Moogles, though one is lead by Locke. The enemy is divided into a dozen groups or so and we have to maneuver our groups to intercept them before they reach Terra. Not really that hard, unsurprisingly there are exactly 3 chokepoints. But, that's where the catch lies - the enemy boss stays behind and you have go down to get him - but do you keep one group behind, so as to preserve their HP/MP for the boss and let two other groups to whack the regular mobs? Or share the burden equally between three groups and hope for the best when facing the boss?

CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES BITCHES!

face.gif
Hmm, I think it's for the best to cover all the tunnels!

If you say so, Locke.

face.gif
We can support each other if they seem to overpower any of us!

face.gif
AIEEE! Nasty blizzard!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000r.jpg

face.gif
Score one for the rogues!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000n.jpg

face.gif
Horrible beast, kupo!

ProTip: Notice how Mog has more HP than others and a mysterious 'DANCE'-ability? What could that mean? :hint,hint:

finalfantasyiiiuv110000i.jpg

face.gif
I'll let you guys take him down, these are your caves anyhow!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000l.jpg

face.gif
Take down the flesh-eaters first, kupo!

Fun Fact: every Moogle has a different weapon, show casing to the player various possibilities; spear, sword, morning star, boomerang, flail, etc. Remember, originally FF did not restrict every character to just one type of weapons.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000h.jpg

face.gif
Avenge us, kupo!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000k.jpg

face.gif
For kupo!

finalfantasyiiiuv110000e.jpg

face.gif
Take that, kupo!

finalfantasyiiiuv110001r.jpg

face.gif
That went rather well, if I say so myself!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Locke flees through secret tunnels.

finalfantasyiiiuv110000h.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000e.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000v.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000r.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000x.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110000s.jpg

face.gif
I hope it's not contagious...

finalfantasyiiiuv110001x.jpg

finalfantasyiiiuv110001l.jpg

face.gif
Yeah, I'm so slick!

finalfantasyiiiuv110001s.jpg

The world opens infront of the fugitives - where shall they go? Who shall they meet? Why can she cast spells? What does Empire want with her? Will he get into her pants?

Fear not, all these questions shall be answered soon!

Elzair

Cipher
Bump!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom