Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Gamespot Review

Lonewolf

Novice
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage ... ot;thumb;1

Let the shit storm begin! Codex style

shitstorm-flyer.jpg

Cropper

Novice
Uh oh

"Origins remains tough because the challenge ups its ante as the campaign unfolds. Enemies level up alongside you, which can be a little absurd if one dwells on it – a mere Captain of the Guard towards the end turns out to be several magnitudes of order more powerful than the first giant Ogre fought at the beginning, but the trick is that the scale of the battles increase alongside you as well. What starts off as taking down uncoordinated roving bands of blaggards ends up with facing off against entire armies of beastly brethren. And all shall fall at your sword. "

Enemies level up alongside you? That reminds me of some other game, what is it's name again? Oh ya, Fallout 3.

Big thumbs down if this is the case

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Re: Uh oh

Cropper said:
"Origins remains tough because the challenge ups its ante as the campaign unfolds. Enemies level up alongside you, which can be a little absurd if one dwells on it – a mere Captain of the Guard towards the end turns out to be several magnitudes of order more powerful than the first giant Ogre fought at the beginning, but the trick is that the scale of the battles increase alongside you as well. What starts off as taking down uncoordinated roving bands of blaggards ends up with facing off against entire armies of beastly brethren. And all shall fall at your sword. "

Enemies level up alongside you? That reminds me of some other game, what is it's name again? Oh ya, Fallout 3.

Grunker said:
DA uses sort of a hybrid. The monsters have a minimum and a maximum level range (for example, a random goblin might range from level 1 to 3). Monsters will never break this range, but when you meet them, their level within this range is determined by your level.

So there is level-scaling, sadly. It's just not as retarded as Oblivion's.

Monocause

Arcane
Lonewolf said:
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html?tag=topslot;thumb;1

Let the shit storm begin! Codex style

shitstorm-flyer.jpg

Why the need for a shitstorm? It's a fairly standard blowjob. I mean, review. Nothing out of ordinary.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I remember times when a score above 9.2 for a PC game would be a rarity in Gamespot (their PC staff had relatively higher standards than the console staff).

Once 2005 came, these 9.5ers were all over the website.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Wyrmlord said:
I remember times when a score above 9.2 for a PC game would be a rarity in Gamespot (their PC staff had relatively higher standards than the console staff).

The rarity of high scores was during the Kasavin Age. Well, at least during the time before Greg became such a mega-publisher tool

kasavin_oblivion.jpg

Cropper

Novice

Grunker said:
DA uses sort of a hybrid. The monsters have a minimum and a maximum level range (for example, a random goblin might range from level 1 to 3). Monsters will never break this range, but when you meet them, their level within this range is determined by your level.

Level scaling is level scaling and it should be abolished as an abomination. If I want to go back and kill a damn goblin with my +43 longsword and Death spell halfway through the game, then I should be able to. Fuck letting the goblin reach level 159 just because I am.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You people just have unrealistic standards. What you want is impossible to achieve with modern technologies - don't you understand? Like the level of 20 years old games.

Silellak

Cipher

Cropper said:
Grunker said:

Level scaling is level scaling and it should be abolished as an abomination. If I want to go back and kill a damn goblin with my +43 longsword and Death spell halfway through the game, then I should be able to. Fuck letting the goblin reach level 159 just because I am.

From what I understand, there is nothing in DA that would prevent you from doing just that.

Also, for the record, I love that Skyway has been broken to the point that all he does is "argue" with random sarcastic hyperbolic comments. Poor guy's brain finally snapped.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:

That's actually not true. A score above 9.2 (or even 9.0) for PC games is fairly rare at GS these days. The last one was Crysis, 2 years ago - then very few before that.

For all the shit they (deservedly) receive - they definately don't go overboard with their review scors like IGN and others....

NOVD

Scholar
The level scaling has I guess a few points to it. It's persistent, so enemies lock in at a certain level once you visit an area. Beyond that, there are few more parameters. There is a min creature level, a max creature level, min area level, a max area level, and a designer-set tweak parameter.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter

Cropper said:
Grunker said:

You can you dumb fuck.

By level scaling they mean withing a very limited range based on area. Like this swamp is level 10-15, the monsters will never scale outside that range.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
And? It is just as retarded.
Or just because you add sugar to a shit it becomes tastier?

How is minor level-scaling specific to an area even near as retarded as Oblivion-style "Hey look all of the road bandits are now carrying super-rare high-end equipment"?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Just watched the video review. Not sure about 9.5, but I'm about 15hrs into the game and colour me suprised. It's actually pretty damn good.

I agree with most of what the reviewer said - maybe not so gushingly, but still, compared to Oblivion or FO3 - DA:O is a masterpiece. :D

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
MetalCraze said:

How is minor level-scaling specific to an area even near as retarded as Oblivion-style "Hey look all of the road bandits are now carrying super-rare high-end equipment"?

Where did I say something about Oblivion? Ah I forgot just because a game is better than Oblivion - it's like a masterpiece according to the next-gen Codexer above.
Minor or major - when you'll come into some high-lvl area at lvl10 and instead of being raped hard by lvl17 mob you'll have lvl10 mob against you how is that even fun? You are forgetting that level scaling works both ways.
Gee I wonder how people lived without level scaling at all, must be some dark ages.

Cropper

Novice

AlaCarcuss said:
You can you dumb fuck.

By level scaling they mean withing a very limited range based on area. Like this swamp is level 10-15, the monsters will never scale outside that range.

First of all, even if that were true, it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Secondly how does a guard become "several more order of magnitudes more powerful than a giant ogre" mean a "very limited range based on area"?

Retarded twat.

LazyD

Liturgist
Move along people... nothing to see here.. Just level scaling, Linear plot with near to no C & C with Plenty of invisible barriers to guide you with ease. Dont forget the popcorn b/c this is almost a better movie than ME!

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Silellak said:
MetalCraze said:

Where did I say something about Oblivion? Ah I forgot just because a game is better than Oblivion - it's like a masterpiece according to the next-gen Codexer above.
Minor or major - when you'll come into some high-lvl area at lvl10 and instead of being raped hard by lvl17 mob you'll have lvl10 mob against you how is that even fun? You are forgetting that level scaling works both ways.
Gee I wonder how people lived without level scaling at all, must be some dark ages.

You didn't say anything about Oblivion, but the comment that inspired the exchange that you eventually replied to described Oblivion-style level-scaling, where you can never go back to previous areas and lay holy smack-down, because ALL areas scale exactly TO your level. DA uses a better version of level-scaling that, despite your inane ranting, isn't nearly as stupid. But I'm sure you enjoyed being able to use some of your famous Skywayisms like "next-gen Codexer" and "omg better than Oblivion it must be good amrite", and repeating your catch phrases is far more important than actually reading the exchange you want to contribute to.

And you do realize that with area-based level scaling there's still the potential to get raped by going somewhere too soon? If you're level 10 and go to an area that scales at a range of 15-20, you'll still probably get your ass handed to you.

Would I prefer no level-scaling at all? Sure. But there's no question that DA's level-scaling is trivial compared to the bullshit seen in the likes of Bethesda titles.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
You didn't say anything about Oblivion, but the comment that inspired the exchange that you eventually replied to described Oblivion-style level-scaling, where you can never go back to previous areas and lay holy smack-down, because ALL areas scale exactly TO your level.
Re-read that reply again - I said that just because level-scaling is "better" in DA doesn't make it any less silly.

DA uses a better version of level-scaling that, despite your inane ranting, isn't nearly as stupid.
But it is. Level-scaling is always level-scaling, you may call a nigger - african american - but he will still be a nigger.

And you do realize that with area-based level scaling there's still the potential to get raped by going somewhere too soon? If you're level 10 and go to an area that scales at a range of 15-20, you'll still probably get your ass handed to you.
And if I will go there at lvl 14-15? Let's talk about the game situation that has a bigger chance of happening. And besides if there is a traditional Bioware-ish level cap of 20 - 15-20 is a humongous range.

Would I prefer no level-scaling at all? Sure. But there's no question that DA's level-scaling is trivial compared to the bullshit seen in the likes of Bethesda titles.
What about all other titles? Gee when there is something that the game does better it's compared to better games but when it does something on a craptastic level - let's compare it to the worst yay - so as a result DA sounds like the best thing to come out in the past 10 years.
Bioware should be fucking teared apart for trying to go Bethesda (and it would've happened on the Codex 2 years ago), not praised for doing it.

TNO

Augur
Actually come on guys.

If you want a non-linear game where your dudes get significantly more powerful, it is pretty hard to avoid level scaling.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Silellak said:
You didn't say anything about Oblivion, but the comment that inspired the exchange that you eventually replied to described Oblivion-style level-scaling, where you can never go back to previous areas and lay holy smack-down, because ALL areas scale exactly TO your level.
Re-read that reply again - I said that just because level-scaling is "better" in DA doesn't make it any less silly.

DA uses a better version of level-scaling that, despite your inane ranting, isn't nearly as stupid.
But it is. Level-scaling is always level-scaling, you may call a nigger - african american - but he will still be a nigger.

And if I will go there at lvl 14-15? Let's talk about the game situation that has a bigger chance of happening. And besides if there is a traditional Bioware-ish level cap of 20 - 15-20 is a humongous range.

What about all other titles? Gee when there is something that the game does better it's compared to better games but when it does something on a craptastic level - let's compare it to the worst yay - so as a result DA sounds like the best thing to come out in the past 10 years.
Bioware should be fucking teared apart for trying to go Bethesda (and it would've happened on the Codex 2 years ago), not praised for doing it.

I have no interest in defending DA or Bioware, I just fundamentally disagree with the idea that certain gameplay concepts ruin a game outright, no matter how those concepts are implemented.

Would I prefer if DA didn't have auto-healing after combat and level scaling? Sure, but I'm not going to outright dismiss it simply because it has those things. Impressions from people who have actually played the game seem to be rather positive regarding the combat, which gives me a more open mind despite the combat having features I may not like.

The Feral Kid

Prophet

Cropper said:

Really, I was aware of the level-scaling crap, but I was under the impression that they didn't go full Beth but kept it on a minimal level. And now I read this. Every possibility for me to play this game is now gone. This was the last bastion, and it's fallen. My DA torrent was actually half-finished but I stopped downloading it after reading this.

Seems that Bio thinks they got this wrong with BG but Beth got it right with Oblivion. Yes they can be that stupid. It is also shocking seeing such game mechanics being adopted not by some nobody rpg developer trying to make a quick buck by copying Beth, but by Bio who already have a huge reputation and don't need to adopt such "popular" mechanics in their game to be successful with the mass market. Or it could be that they're just lazy and prefer to make stupid trailers instead of spending time balancing their game. Something they've done successfully in the past but they don't think there's any room for that in the in the next-gen landscape. As long as every character has its own voice all should be fine:

dragon.age.voices.050109-580px.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom