Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Update #25: It's on!

Tails

Arbiter
UFO_Enemy_Unknown_opening_screen.png

To celebrate the release of new Xcomutil I decided to make LP of this wonderful game by using gulikoza's build of Dosbox.

Update #1: First Battle (you are here)
Update #2
Update #3: Terror Attack
Update #4
Update #5: Unconscious update
Update #6: In the night
Update # 7
Update #8: Burning Rome
Update #9
Update #10
Update #11: Blood of Heroes
Update #12: Day & Night
Update #13: Not so lucky one
Update #14: A Forest
Update #15: Unwelcome Guests
Update #16: Choices&Consequences
Update #17: Battleship
Update #18: Supply Ship
Update #19: We Will Fall
Update #20: Choices&Consequences pt.2
Update #21: 2 vs TM
Update #22: Alien Base
Update #23: Alien Base 2
Update #24
Update #25: It's on!

:honourblade: Fallen Heroes :honourblade:

Sergeant TNO
Rookie Chef hataway
Squaddie WhiskeyWolf
Squaddie dragonfk
Sergeant Black_Willow
Squaddie LazyD
Squaddie Rabidredneck
Squaddie Darth Roxor
Squaddie poocolator
Squaddie Ashery
Sergeant BUMFACE
Sergeant Luzur
Squaddie taplonaplo
Squaddie spiekko
Squaddie Krraloth
Squaddie lightbane
Rookie Azira
Sergeant Satori
Sergeant Desmodus Rotundus
Rookie juggernaut
Sergeant Brazilian Slaughter
Sergeant Unkillable Cat
Rookie relootz
Rookie Reject
Rookie sheek
Rookie Yeesh
Rookie Black Cat
Captain Big Nose George
Rookie Takeda Kenshi
Sergeant Derper
Sergeant Chefe
Rookie Cassidy
Sergeant Spectacle
Rookie Toxic Avenger
Brave Lazor Tank from 21 Update
Rookie Pliskin
Sergeant Thrombone
Sergeant Emotional Vampire
Sergeant GarfunkeL
Sergeant Trash
Rookie eklektyk
Rookie SuicideBunny
Rookie PrzeSkoda
Rookie POOPHEAD
Rookie Chef
Rookie Yeesh
Rookie Good Little Toast Boy
Rookie treave
Captain Stereotypical Vilan
Sergeant Zdzisiu
Sergeant Hieromancer
Captain Occasionally Fatal
Captain LusciousPear
Sergeant Gonchi
Sergeant Ratatosk
Sergeant Cassidy
Rookie Azira

:salute:

I decided to play on such settings:
dosbox000.png

plus random UFO shapes. Overall this will be my first serious game with xcomutil, so get ready for some lulz from my mistakes.

dosbox2010-01-1817-52-02-20.jpg

We are going for Superhuman Ironman. Also the screenshots are going to be large (scaler=hardware2z in gulikoza's build of DosBox) in this update, if you dislike I can switch it to the small Dosbox ones.

dosbox2010-01-1818-24-47-14.jpg

Location of first Codexia base, the last hope of humanity.

dosbox2010-01-1818-31-57-12.jpg

At beginning place few buildings, extra lab, living quarters, general stores, large radar and alien containment. Also purchased 20 scientist, Tank/Rocket Launcher and few extra equipment pieces.

dosbox2010-01-1818-52-07-98.jpg

No alien activity so far, but at least part of ordered stuff has arrived.

dosbox2010-01-1818-55-17-42.jpg

New scientist arrived to help out in laser weapons research. They will come handy since we will need Aliens to research their technology.

dosbox2010-01-1818-58-21-57.jpg

24h later the awesome Tank arrives so Skyranger-1 is full of goodies for the first mission.

dosbox2010-01-1819-00-21-10.jpg

Not long after researching Laser Weapons, first small UFO showed up.

dosbox2010-01-1819-02-23-01.jpg

Interceptor-2 tries aggressive attack but fails to hit UFO two times with Avalanche missile. Damn drunk Polish pilot. After third hit, UFO decides to run away. Fuck.

dosbox2010-01-1819-02-43-20.jpg

The same Interceptor finally get second chance to shot-down this bastard and with one Stingray missile, UFO goes down!

dosbox2010-01-1819-08-25-07.jpg

Time to send brave Codexers to face filthy Aliens. But wait, we don't know their names yet. Like in every UFO LP, we need eight brave volunteer! update will follow after we get them on board.

Ashery

Prophet
Always ready to die for the glory of Codexia.

Screenshots look good, but I still don't understand why you insist on using the default base layout. Yea, it makes the game more difficult, but I don't see why one must accept a fucked up layout for their initial base when every base you construct will be set up more defensively.

TNO

Augur
Quickest solution is to build another hangar between the other two and then sell off as necessary. Not really that bad.

And sign me up. I was thinking of Lping a superhuman/ironman too, be interesting to see how you do it. From my play-throughs, as long as you win the first terror mission you're pretty golden.

Tails

Arbiter
Ashery said:
(..)but I still don't understand why you insist on using the default base layout. Yea, it makes the game more difficult, but I don't see why one must accept a fucked up layout for their initial base when every base you construct will be set up more defensively.
How you can be sure that I will set up next bases more secure? :smug: I just did this for some challenge at beginning, I didn't yet decide to make next bases more secure or with fuck up layout, depends what base development tactic I choose.

TNO said:
And sign me up. I was thinking of Lping a superhuman/ironman too, be interesting to see how you do it. From my play-throughs, as long as you win the first terror mission you're pretty golden.
I feel always goldy after catching first landed Battleship :) but we see how this will work out. I'm looking forward to random UFO interiors and shape, sounds very challenging!

spekkio

Arcane
Ein Volk, ein Codexia, ein Ffffffüüüüüüüüührer!

Count me in!

Tails

Arbiter
Here is the first wave of cannon fodder, I mean soldiers that will defeat alien menace:

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-25-46.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-27-67.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-29-48.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-32-12.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-33-87.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-36-42.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-38-54.jpg

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-40-92.jpg

what a bunch of weaklings, look at their STR! at least you make it up in bravery, soldiers! :salute:

dosbox2010-01-1820-32-49-89.jpg

Debriefing just for remind what we have to do.

dosbox2010-01-1820-48-18-07.jpg

This is our landing zone and we are in the forest.

dosbox2010-01-1820-50-46-29.jpg

First Sectoid spotted by Tank!

dosbox2010-01-1820-52-19-79.jpg

Ashery (who is sex starved blond woman), spots another one after leaving Skyranger-1.

dosbox2010-01-1820-56-32-79.jpg

Ashery makes a snap shoot with his Heavy Canon but misses. Damn you!

dosbox2010-01-1820-59-30-42.jpg

TNO comes to the rescue and with his Auto Cannon. Hits Sectoid and kills him after second bullet from auto shoot! Good shot sir! after that he turns around to north and takes cover.

dosbox2010-01-1821-04-57-98.jpg

Since there is no way that any soldiers could take care of first spotted, mighty Tank (let's call him kingcomrade, shall we?) fires missile.

dosbox2010-01-1821-05-01-51.jpg

The missile didn't hit directly alien but the ground very close to him...

dosbox2010-01-1821-05-07-21.jpg

...and its dead! got to love the smell of napalm in the morning. With last TU, kingcomrade moves forward to alien remains.

dosbox2010-01-1821-12-42-82.jpg

Since there is no more aliens around, I made a silly reaction-defence deploy around Skyranger-1 bridge. Rest of soldiers that stayed inside, came closer and are ready to kick serious asses.

dosbox2010-01-1821-14-46-54.jpg

Now time for alien turns with this awesome image.

dosbox2010-01-1821-14-52-95.jpg

It seems such deploy wasn't a bad idea, we just spot another filthy Sectoid.

dosbox2010-01-1821-17-10-54.jpg

kingcomrade gets shot by hiding Sectoid, the one we probably spotted.

dosbox2010-01-1821-17-13-54.jpg

kingcomrade gets hit few times from second, hiding Sectoid scum.

dosbox2010-01-1821-17-19-12.jpg

He survives but with gets some heavy damage.

dosbox2010-01-1821-23-26-07.jpg

Black_Willow (another hot blonde in our squad) proves that his throwing skills are indeed good! he throws grenade very close to the first alien and kingcomrade tries to take down another one but fails utterly, so he had to retreat. Rest of soldiers move forward.

dosbox2010-01-1821-27-23-23.jpg

Thought you cannot see this on screenshot, Black_Willows grenade takes down an Sectoid! :salute: also another one bastard show up and tried to shot-down Silellak. With a real marksman skill Silellak replied with good snapshot that hit alien.

dosbox2010-01-1821-34-56-56.jpg

Another one taken down this time by dragonfk and his autoshoot. Good job soldier!

dosbox2010-01-1821-37-24-59.jpg

Even heavy wounded, kingcomrade can't be stopped. He moves forward and discovers crashed UFO-1. Looks badly damaged.

dosbox2010-01-1821-39-23-59.jpg

Chef_Hathaway and WhiskeyWolf move slowly forward to the UFO. BUMFACE is following them too.
dosbox2010-01-1821-39-37-96.jpg

But it doesn't matter, since we wiped out all Aliens without any casualties! good job team. Sadly, recovery isn't in the same way impressing.

dosbox2010-01-1821-39-44-95.jpg

Let's don't forget about promotions. Black_Willow and Silellak becomes Sergeant :salute:

Not bad for beginning but the best is still to come.

Tails

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
So, the Codexian x-com team is full of trannies? Surprise surprise!
Not only them it seems! WhiskeyWolf and dragonfk represent Polish tranny front :salute:

Sign me up sir! My only request is if I have good firing accuracy to be given a rocket launcher and my own personal slave to haul around ammo for me :lol:

Are you using X-com extended?
It fixes a few important things that (AFAIK) xcomutil doesn't. Pay for dirt bug, multiple proximity grenade issues, Elerium fueled craft auto returning when at 50% fuel capacity. Also, it adds TFTD-style openable doors which, while nonstandard, is incredibly convenient and saves me dozens of men every playthrough.

Tails said:
Here is our first wave of cannon fodder, I mean soldiers that will defeat alien menace:

dosbox2010-01-1820-19-33-87.jpg

In the unlikely event that a soldier who started out with such awesome stats survives until MC, you can be absolutely sure he will end up with a psi strength of 1.
59 reactions and 69 firing accuracy is fucking awesome though, only 1 below the max on each. Reactions is the most important stat by far.

TNO said:
Quickest solution is to build another hangar between the other two and then sell off as necessary. Not really that bad.

Actually, you have to keep in mind that aliens can come through the lift as well. So the only way to really limit them is to sell off the bottom two hangers and put 2 at the top, then keep the hangers separate. Then unless you use xcom extender you run into the pay for dirt bug where you are still being charger maintenence for the hanger even after you bulldozed it. Frankly IMO initial base layout is not that big of a deal, you rarely get base assaulted unless you deliberately aren't shooting down the scouts or are lagging behind in tech to shoot them down.

I do recommend skipping lasers straight to plasma weapons though. Heavy Plasma + Plasma cannons ensure your men can shoot shit up and your aircraft can shoot shit down. Never played with the alien captives help research though, I hear that increases research times dramatically so skipping to plasma might not be an option then.

Tails

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
Are you using X-com extended?
It fixes a few important things that (AFAIK) xcomutil doesn't. Pay for dirt bug, multiple proximity grenade issues, Elerium fueled craft auto returning when at 50% fuel capacity. Also, it adds TFTD-style openable doors which, while nonstandard, is incredibly convenient and saves me dozens of men every playthrough.
Nah I don't use Extender, since I play only DOS version. Lets hope those issues (thought they are not game braking) will be fixed in future versions of Xcomutil.

Overweight Manatee said:
In the unlikely event that a soldier who started out with such awesome stats survives until MC, you can be absolutely sure he will end up with a psi strength of 1.
59 reactions and 69 firing accuracy is fucking awesome though. Reactions is the most important stat by far.
Will see, maybe it will be a bit higher. Still I hope that first Terror Mission won't have Sectoids or at least I take down leader fast.

Overweight Manatee said:
I do recommend skipping lasers straight to plasma weapons though. Heavy Plasma + Plasma cannons ensure your men can shoot shit up and your aircraft can shoot shit down. Never played with the alien captives help research though, I hear that increases research times dramatically so skipping to plasma might not be an option then.
Yeah I know but still I always research lase weapons and use them just for lolz, thought Laser Rifle is kick ass. Anyway - like in TFTD, I will need aliens to research plasma tech. I wonder how many Codexians die by trying to catch alien with stuntrods :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom