Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMAC/X Unofficial Patch v1.0

scient

Augur
While Strategy section on an RPG forum probably won't have biggest audience, I know a few folks on here still play Alpha Centauri so I thought I'd give a heads up about this release. It includes fixes to some of the most frequent crashes as well as a number of bug fixes and such. There has been a "pre-release" of SMAX exe on same board but I've completely overhauled internal code and ported all fixes to SMAC (with a couple new fixes since pre-release). Let me know if you run into any problems.

Fez

Erudite
This is good news. I still play this game now and then and I know a lot of people here think highly of it. Thanks.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I haven't noticed any serious bugs in SMAC. Someone should fix AI instead, if that is possible...

Tails

Arbiter
AI is good, don't exaggerate.

Thanks for the awesome patch. Is there anything you could do about network code and it's weird time outs, scient? It seems that when trying to play trough Hamachi. It's hard to describe what is exactly the reason, since when connection Poland-Brazil is fine when Poland-Ukraine is not.

scient

Augur
@Fez: Yep, I've seen a few threads which is why I posted it here.

@Malakal: Heh, well there are a lot. My patch clears up the most common crashes but there are some left I think. At the moment a number of people are putting together a comprehensive list of existing bugs. I'm avoiding any changes that are subjective. There are a few fixes which aren't bugs or crashes but they wouldn't affect anyone playing normal game (ie. geared towards modders). Problems with AI logic is something I've noted.

@Tails: Hmm. I have seen some reports of problems with network games but I'll need more info to look into it. Are you sure person in Ukraine didn't have shitty connection or router/firewall incorrectly set up?

Tails

Arbiter
scient said:
@Tails: Hmm. I have seen some reports of problems with network games but I'll need more info to look into it. Are you sure person in Ukraine didn't have shitty connection or router/firewall incorrectly set up?
It was Skyway so for sure no. Same problem I had with Satori. Overall it happen in lobby with weird messages and I forgot what they exactly said. Funny thing about this network code issue is that when Toxic (from Yemen, India) hosted the game, everyone could connect to him, (Satori also) and game would go on. If there is a specific way to provide you more needed info just tell, I could try to test it with someone.

scient

Augur
Well, at some point maybe you can host a game and I can try to connect (US). That would be best solution because I could run game in debugger while I'm connecting to you. Also, if you could take a screenshot of messages when Skyway or Satori connects that would be of use.

Tails

Arbiter
scient said:
Well, at some point maybe you can host a game and I can try to connect (US). That would be best solution because I could run game in debugger while I'm connecting to you. Also, if you could take a screenshot of messages when Skyway or Satori connects that would be of use.
I'm right now on Codex Hamachi, so if you got time, join:
Server-name: RPGKKKodex
pw: butthurt

If we have no problems with connection, I try to get Skyway to test it again, since Satori is gone from Codex.
btw. I forgot to mention that we used Alpha Centauri without Alien Crossfire expansion. Does it changes anything?

scient

Augur
Hm when I try to connect to RPGKKKodex I get "this network appears to be full". I guess I can try back in a little while.

edit:
Doesn't matter that it's just SMAC. However, you are using the 2000/XP compatibility update that removes shit v1 safedisc? For SMAC it should be:

[If you don't own SMAX] Install, in this order, the SMAC v4.0 Update then the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update.

The exe I patch is from 2000/XP compat update which also includes a number of other fixes besides removing protection.

I had to remove safedisc on SMAX myself because for whatever reason they never released it without safefail.

Tails

Arbiter
scient said:
Hm when I try to connect to RPGKKKodex I get "this network appears to be full". I guess I can try back in a little while.
No chances for free slots, you will need to join another one:
RPGKKodex-2
Pass: butthurt

Gondolin

Arcane
# [CRASH] It is possible usually on larger maps that scrambling air interceptors would cause the game to crash. Even when the game didn't crash incorrect altitude values were being used in checks. Both of these have been fixed.

I ran into this one. Thanks for the patch.

pipka

Savant
Thanks for the patch.
It seems you've fixed the problem with widescreens and original terran.exe (DirectDraw=0). :thumbsup:

scient

Augur
@Gondolin: Yep, pretty common one it seems especially later in game.

@pipka: It's probably related to my cleaning out start up code related to shitty CPU checks. That and maybe fixing voxel code to use MMX.

@Tails: Let me know if you make any progress reproducing that error or want to have another go at some point.

Tails

Arbiter
scient said:
@Tails: Let me know if you make any progress reproducing that error or want to have another go at some point.
I have send you pm in the morning, currently I'm all the time on Hamachi.

bdanv

Novice
@Tails: i'd like to help with the SMAC connection bug.
also, i would like to join your group for SMAC IP gaming. do you have a thread where you organize your games?

Tails

Arbiter
bdanv said:
@Tails: i'd like to help with the SMAC connection bug.
also, i would like to join your group for SMAC IP gaming. do you have a thread where you organize your games?
Jolly good! All you need is Hamachi 1.0.1.5 (Network: RPGKKKodex-2 | Pass: butthurt) and of course Alpha Centauri without Alien Crossfire expansion (horrible creature!). Like scient instructions say, update game, in this order: SMAC v4.0 Update then the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update. Btw. we would need to test scient patched exe and regular one, so rename the latter one before copying scient exe. I'll be all this week on Hamachi about 9 PM (GMT 0). If anyone else is interested, just join us :)

bdanv

Novice
i'm using Hamachi since 2007 for Alpha Centauri IP gaming and my SMAC copy is fully patched, so there's no need for all those links. i will join your network tonight. see ya there.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I think the connection issue comes from at least one player in the given pair not having the ping to the other one as the game directly says that there was no response from player X right in the lobby (compared to your usual multiplayer where only server must be pinged successfully to establish the working connection).

I'll try to test this more with Tails on this saturday (I hope) and will post screenies of that.

Another checked bug is when having a different game packages. F.e. Planetary Pack and SMAC with SMAX installed over it won't even connect properly to each other (probably related to SMAX and PP having different terranx exes due to different CD-checks)

Tails

Arbiter
Ashery, bdanv and I are doing some testing right now and to be honest it's weird stuff. Ashery couldn't join game when bdanv or I hosted. I didn't have any problems to join bdanv game but he reported some weird colours issue, I hope he writes it down here. He could also join my game.

Later on, when bdanv bypassed his router I couldn't join his game any more, AC just try connect for long time and it throws me back to the main menu (we had the same issue scient, remember?). But Ashery now could join bdanv game! I'm confused about this.

Tails

Arbiter
I've did ping them without any issue but probably Ash & bdanv didn't try to ping me.
Btw. I find it pretty odd that when I host non-SMAC game like Alien Swarm etc. Ashery has no problem with joining when I host. It's either issue of SMAC or something related to Directplay, singe the game is using it.

scient

Augur
I've downloaded the planetary pack and it's the same as if you've installed SMAC/X with latest patches except 2000/XP compatibility patch for SMAC. That final patch does have some shared files so it also affects SMAX even though no binary changes. It could be an issue with people that are running game without compatibility patch trying to connect to those that do.

So no luck recreating that error Tails? Did you get a chance to try out if using newer hamachi made a difference?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom