Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play.... ToEE with Co8

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pussycat669 did a LP of this game back in 2008.

In the meantime, Circle of 8 has released a ton of modpack updates, and oldmanpacos Baldur's Gate LP has gotten me itching for some D&D goodness. So I'll be starting up a second LP. It will be ironman, with a Codexian party of intepid adventurers. It will be brutal. There will be deaths. And it will be glorious!

Now, I haven't actually gotten all that far in ToEE before. Previous attempts at the game has gotten me as far as the temple entrance, before the game inevitably bugged and became unplayable. But this was before patches were released, so I'm hoping we can avoid this. Just in case, I'm going to pick normal game and keep 2-3 save slots rotating so I can revert in case of Catastrophic bug death. Barring that, the only thing that will justify loading a save is a Total Party Wipe. So not 100% ironman, but it'd suck to end this thread 3 updates in when I get raped in the moathouse. Once we hit the Co8 content or the temple proper, I'll have no idea what to expect, and hilarity is bound to ensue shortly thereafter.

I'll roll up a character myself. On top of that, I need 5 schmucks brave Companions ot get our party started. Party alignment is arbirarily chosen to be True Neutral, which means all characters must be NG, LN, TN, CN or NE alignment. This also means there won't be any paladins as a side effect. :incline:

If someone dies, replacements will be recruited. Eventually, we may have a cleric of a high enough level to cast raise dead, but that won't be until the endgame. Replacement characters will enter the game with XP enough to put them one level below the average level of characters in the party, just so they won't be completely useless.

Ability scores will be determined by point buy. The game helpfully insists on 25 points, which leads to castrated characters in no way capable of matching a randomly rolled character. Were going to be going with 30 points instead, which results in the same kind of ability scores you'd get with average rolls using 4d6 drop 1. For those unfamiliar with point buy, all ability scores start at 8 (before racial mods) and cannot go lower. You get 30 points you can distribute to increase your abilities. 9-14 costs 1 point per raise; 15-16 2 points and 17-18 3 points. So raising an attribute from 8 to 14 costs 6 points, from 8 to 16 costs 10 points and 8 to 18 a whooping 16 points.

List of updates
Part 1 - In which nothing much happens, and we charge blindly towards destiny
Part 2 - In which Mistakes are made and Ulminati attempts the art of Parlay
Part 3 - Sloggin' thru the Bog
Part 4 - Moathouse Extravaganza I
Part 5 - Moathouse Extravaganza II
Part 6 - Moathouse Extravaganza Wrap-up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the fuck is this shit!? - In which thread necromancy, faggotry and popamole is afoot
Fast track to faggotry - Streamlined for your convenience
Fabulous (if Faggotry) Fatality Fun
DISCUSS! for dummies
Blood for the blood god! Incline for the incline hammock of Codexia!
Mini update - level inappropriate encounter
Lazyness continues - Ulminati makes shortest update yet

Total Party Kills
Moathouse, Level 1 Encounter started with 2 lucky crits from the opposition. Half the party died in the surprise round.

Current Party
21.gif
Ulminati - Elven Rogue (3)
9.gif
Snozzy - Elven Ranger (3)
33.gif
Mrowakus - Human Wizard (3)
4.gif
Kasparov - Human Cleric (3)

Brave, Departed BROs
nickr.jpg
Nickless - Human Fighter (1)
Fate: Brutalized by a gnoll skeleton under the Welkwood Bog
Final words: I'm invincible! INVINCIB--!
6.gif
Strangelove - Dwarf Cleric (2)
Fate: Thermidor'ed by a lobster in the moathouse
Final words: Cheapskaaaaaate!
roxor.jpg
Roxorowski - Human Fighter (3)
Fate: Turned into a pincushion by a bandit ambush
Final words: I can't beleive we made it out of here alive.

Recruitment pool
36.gif
Dragula - Human Sorcerer
16.gif
Tappy - Gnome Bard
Samwise - Halfling Wizard
32.gif
Cruella - Human Fighter
25.gif
Pokerella - Half-Orc Fighter (4)/Barbarian
15.gif
Elexis - Human Rogue
14.gif
Satori - human fighter(1)/Cleric
24.gif
Grunkerman - Half-orc monk
29.gif
Chzr - Half-elf fighter
35.gif
Tails - Human dr00d
27.gif
Piggy Half-orc copy-paste cleric

Needs tweaking
ID2_004.jpg
oldmanpaco - Human Sorcerer -- As a bare minimum, I expect people to stat out their 6 ability scores.
30.gif
Alexandra - Human cleric, I expect people to stat out their ability scores at least. Clerics need Wis, con, str, cha, dex, int in that order.
Tassadar - Elf Wizard - Someone already called dibs on the glowy-eyed negro pic, BRO.

If you're the kind of brave and exemplary individual who is willing to risk my incompetent leadership in search of fame, fortune and lulz, this is what I require of you:

Name of character
Race
Class
Alignment
Ability scores

If you want to pick specific skills or feats, feel free to list those. If none are listed, I'll try to pick whatever I feel will give us the biggest chance of success. For portraits, I've added the Co8 IWD portrait pack to go along with the regular portraits. You can either pick one from the list below, or let my impeccable tastes pick one for you. :monocle:

portraits said:

Classes
The following classes are available:
Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard.

Clerics and Druids use WIS to cast spells, Wizards use INT, Bards and Sorcerers use CHA. Clerics also use CHA to turn undead. Everyone benefits from good constitution, dex and str.

Races
The following classes are available:
Human (+1 feat), Dwarf (+2 Con, -2 Cha), Elf (+2 Dex, -2 Con), Gnome (+2 Con, -2 Str), Half-elf (crap), Half-orc (+2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha) and Halfling (+2 Dex, -2 Str)

We are probably going to need a list of reserves fairly quickly, as I intend to skip the majority of the Hommlet snoozefest, diving into the moathouse as soon as we hit level 2.

As soon as we have 5 voulenteers, I'll roll up a 6th to round out the party, after which we'll dive right in. I hasten to add that clerics are ridiculously overpowered in 3.5E and we definately want 1-2 of those along with us.

bandaid

Educated
Name of character: Snozzy
Race: Elf, Male
Class: Ranger
Alignment: CN
Basic ability scores:
STR 12
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 9

As for portrait go with whatever you like.
As for favourite enemies, pick whatever suits the party best.

Make me into arrow-spitting death machine :smug:

EDIT:

Wait, I found a perfect portrait:

Ozzy+Osbourne+Ozzy.jpg

Mwahhahaha.

So my favourite enemy are now bats.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
voyej6.jpg

Name: Roxorowski
Race: Human, male
Class: Fighter
Alignment: LN
Abilities:
STR: 18
DEX: 12
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 10
CHA: 8

Yeah, this probably couldn't have been more generic, but whatev. Dump stats ftw.

Dragula

Augur
Name of character: Dragula
Race: Human, Male
Class: Sorcerer
Alignment: NE
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 16
CHA 8

Can I choose a Lizard as familiar?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Count me in!

Name:Mrowakus
Class: Wizard
Speciality: Transmutation or Evocation
Forbidden Schools: Whatever you wish except for Enchantment - damn useful in TOE.

Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 10

Feats: Improved Initiative and SpellFocus:Enchantment or SpellFocus:Evocation or Magic Penetration depending on your play-style.

Spells: Sleep
Magic Missle
Grease
Magic Armour
Color Spray (if possible)
Ray of Enfeeblement (if possible)
:Whatever you want:

Skills: Whatever you like.

Edit:

Will you play by oldmanpaco's rules: ie. permadeath to all characters who... well, die? Selective blindness :p

Anyway here's my portrait:

33.gif

pipka

Savant
Will you take NPCs?

And you can tweak with front-end to allow 8 PCs.

inb4 someone posts outside allowed alignments

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Bandaid -- I'll pretend you meant
9.gif
;)

Adding more custom portraits on top is a bit funky and too much work for me to bother. I think (s)he's the closest we have to your picture. :P

Mrowak -- Permadeath as per paco is in

Pipka -- no NPCs. They are heralds of the decline. for now, we'll just go with 6 party members. If I get repeatedly curbstomped, I may look into modding to allow 8 party members.

Looks like I'll get the dubious honor of playing trapmonkey then. Gonna go roll everyone up now

bandaid

Educated
Ulminati said:
Bandaid -- I'll pretend you meant
9.gif
;)

Since all elves are faggots anyway I guess I'm in no position to argue with you. And yeah, it's pretty close actually. :)

Mrowak

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Looks like I'll get the dubious honor of playing trapmonkey then. Gonna go roll everyone up now

What I found out during my previous playthroughs is that a dual-class fighter/thief is simply a murderer - has only minimally lower skills than rogues, is minimally worse at hand to hand combat than warriors but gets all the benefits from sneak attack and warrior's extra feats. I just love that in that game it's enough to stand behind an enemy to deal a leathal blow (flanking FTW) instead of - like in BG - creep in the shadows, attack, then run away.

You might want to try this built for your character.

pipka

Savant
Mrowak said:
Ulminati said:

What I found out during my previous playthroughs is that a dual-class fighter/thief is simply a murderer - has only minimally lower skills than rogues, is minimally worse at hand to hand combat than warriors but gets all the benefits from sneak attack and warrior's extra feats. I just love that in that game it's enough to stand behind an enemy to deal a leathal blow (flanking FTW) instead of - like in BG - creep in the shadows, attack, then run away.

You might want to try this built for your character.
+ Spiked Chain
Finesse + Reach = Rape

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dragula said:
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 16
CHA 8

You realize sorcerers use CHA to determine spells and not INT, right? :) A sorcerer with a CHA of 8 won't be able to cast any spells at all.

Mrowak said:
Count me in!
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 10

double-check your ability array. Raising from 14 to 15 and 15 to 16 costs 2 points. 16 to 17 and 17 to 18 costs 3 points. Your current array Requires 38 build points of the 30 you have available. ;)

Nickless

Educated
Fighter, Human

Chaotic Neutral

STR 16
DEX: 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 10

Feats to take when available:
Weapon Focus (Glaive)
Weapon Spec (Glaive)
Combat Reflexes
Power attack
Cleave
Improved Initiative
Improved Trip

I feel I may be forgetting something, maybe whirlwind attack when available? Or Spring attack? Eh, you'll work it out

Portrait wise, go with the red cloaked Icewind Dale 2 guy

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=216

Nickless

Educated
Ulminati said:
Pipka -- no NPCs. They are heralds of the decline. for now, we'll just go with 6 party members. If I get repeatedly curbstomped, I may look into modding to allow 8 party members.

I thought it was 5 PCs max.

chzr

Scholar
custom portraits possible? how should i scale it?

haven't played toee yet (shame on me), what game has the most similar char development? looks like iwd2 so far, amirite? available classes and races? (i know i can prbbly google it, but it'd be nice to have it in op)

also, :thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The portraits in the OP are the ones that are available. Adding more is a bit of a pain in the ass, so I'm not going to do that for people whose life expectancy is slightly shorter than that of a lemming. (That's how awesome I am at this game ;) )

It's sort-of similar to IWD2, but a newer version of the ruleset. Same classes and races are available as IWD2, but no kits. I'll update OP with a list of races/classes after I get the first update in. Just putting the finishing touches on everyones characters ingame, since Nickless made it 5 legal characters (and no arcane casters... ruh-roh).

chzr

Scholar
i hope u'll count alignment when creating personalities, seeing how many CNs are there in party :D

Mrowak

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Dragula said:
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 16
CHA 8

You realize sorcerers use CHA to determine spells and not INT, right? :) A sorcerer with a CHA of 8 won't be able to cast any spells at all.

Mrowak said:
Count me in!
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 10

double-check your ability array. Raising from 14 to 15 and 15 to 16 costs 2 points. 16 to 17 and 17 to 18 costs 3 points. Your current array Requires 38 build points of the 30 you have available. ;)

Sorry, my bad :p Forgot about that rule.

In that case let's settle for
Name:Mrowakus
Class: Wizard
Speciality: Transmutation or Evocation
Forbidden Schools: Whatever you wish except for Enchantment - damn useful in TOE.

Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 17
WIS 11
CHA 10

Feats: Improved Initiative and SpellFocus:Enchantment or SpellFocus:Evocation or Magic Penetration depending on your play-style.

Spells: Sleep
Magic Missle
Grease
Magic Armour
Color Spray (if possible)
Ray of Enfeeblement (if possible)
:Whatever you want:

Skills: Whatever you like.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ulminati said:
(and no arcane casters... ruh-roh).

Wait, what? Are you fucking mad?

WE'RE DOOMED BROS, THIS IS LIKE GARFUNKEL'S TFTD LP ALL OVER AGAIN :retarded:

Dragula

Augur
Ulminati said:
Dragula said:
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 16
CHA 8

Haha no I did not, I think I used a wizard build here.

STR 8
DEX 8
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 16

This be more like it?

taplonaplo

Scholar
Name: Tappy
Race: Gnome, male
Class: Bard
Alignment: True Neutral
Base abil:
STR 10
DEX 14
CON 8
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 16
Not familiar with the ruleset, so i will leave the specifics up to you, also i'm ready to bear the consequences of your :monocle: taste.

marooned

Liturgist
4.gif

Name: Kasparov
Race: Human male
Class: Cleric
Domains: War, ?
Alignment: Neutral Good
Atributes:

str 16
dex 12
con 14
int 8
wis 16
cha 8

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dragula said:
Ulminati said:
Dragula said:
Basic ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 16
CHA 8

Haha no I did not, I think I used a wizard build here.

STR 8
DEX 8
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 16

This be more like it?

No reason to pump the int, go cha 18 and con or dex after that methinks ;)

I'll be adding myself to the roster when I get home from work! Good man!

No arcane casters? U mad!!!1!11!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
We'll be going straight to the moathouse ;) After natural selection does its stuff, we have a sorcerer, a wizard and a bard jostling for position.

Given that I'm the squishiest melee character, I think I know who's going to bleed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom