Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apocalypse: so fun it's worth repeating - Let's play SMT III

KalosKagathos

Learned
What title says.

shinmegamitenseiiiinoct.jpg

Originally released in 2003, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is widely regarded by smart people everyone as one of the finest RPGs ever made. Reasons this game rocks: challenging combat that puts mastery of the fusion system and careful preparation above random dice rolls, multiple endings that take into account things you've done over the entire game instead of boiling down to one final choice, and art direction that somehow manages to make the game look both bleak and colorful at the same time. Above all, everything in it just fits together amazingly well. You can feel that a team behind it shared a very strong vision of what they wanted to make, which doesn't happen very often. The version that made it to America and Europe is actually a 2004 re-release, known in Japan as the Maniax edition. Among things it added: a huge optional dungeon that is sure to give huge boners to everyone fond of the bizarre architecture loved by blob RPGs of late 80's and early 90's, an extra ending that you can get by completing said dungeon, and a cameo appearance so gratuitous that Wolverine would die of jealousy if he knew of it.

That should be enough introductions, let's begin.

Table of contents:

Update 1: Prologue, part 1 - it's right below the table
Update 2: Prologue, part 2
Update 3: Shinjuku Medical Center
Update 4: Yoyogi Park and Shibuya
Update 5: Amala Network
Update 6: Ginza and the Great Underpass
Update 7: Ikebukuro
Update 8: Daisoujou
Update 9: Assembly of Nihilo
Update 10: Ikebukuro Revisited
Update 11: First Kalpa
Update 12: Second Kalpa
Update 13: Kabukicho Prison
Update 14: Ikebukuro Tunnel
Update 15: Asakusa
Update 16: The Obelisk
Update 17: Third Kalpa
Update 18: Amala Network Revisited
Update 19: In which the city of Asakusa is explored further, our hero becomes a shameless political prostitute and looks Death in the eyes, an otherworldly dong creature gets displeased, the words of prophecy are uttered, and the author suddenly and inexplicably breaks the previously established update naming convention
Update 20: In which Reginald's manhood is called into question
Update 21: In which everyone loses it
Update 22: Amala Temple
Update 23: Mifunashiro
Update 24: The Trumpeter
Update 25: Fourth Kalpa
Update 26: Diet Building
Update 27: Fifth Kalpa
Update 28: In which an offer is accepted
Update 29: The Tower of Kagutsuchi
Update 30: Bandou Shrine
Update 31: The last one

Update 1: Prologue, part 1

pcsx2r31132010091819081.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091819082.jpg

Moody. There's a short intro movie before the title screen, by the way, but I won't link to it because it almost entirely consists of horribly compressed footage of in-game cutscenes, making it a tad spoileriffic.

pcsx2r31132010091819084.jpg

I'll be playing the game on Normal, as I don't want the LP to come to an abrupt end if it turns out I'm not good enough for Hard. Difficulty can't be changed mid-game.

pcsx2r31132010091819084.jpg

Why would they? It's not like the game was developed by Atlus USA.

BGM: Apocalypse

pcsx2r31132010091819090.jpg

Woman's voice: If such is the fate of this world, then I shall return it to its mother's womb. The world must first die, for it to be born again... That is the only way to salvation, as recorded in an ancient prophecy.

The game sure doesn't waste any time introducing its main theme.

pcsx2r31132010091819092.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091819092.jpg

Woman's voice: But, I don't want you to meet the same fate. I want to help you hold on to your life. To do so, I need to know your name. Will you tell me who you are...?

pcsx2r31132010091819094.jpg

And that's as far as this update goes. I have absolutely no imagination when it comes to coming up with character names. In addition to first and last names, we'll need a nickname. The character limit is 8 for all of them. Naoki Kashima is the canon name that was used in some Japan-only merchandise based on the game, but I'm open to other suggestions.

EDIT: Added gaps between images for extra coherence.

EDIT2: Fixed a broken image.

lightbane

Arcane
:salute: :salute: I hope you know what you're doing, because these type of games tend to be very long, especially when you're lpeing them (like what happened with Mother 3, took me nearly 9 months to complete the lp). Anyways, I vote for:

Name: Cleve
Surname: Balmore (stupid character limit)
Nickname: Skyway, Bro, or Jesus for some extra meta-trolling.

KalosKagathos

Learned
lightbane said:
:salute: :salute: I hope you know what you're doing, because these type of games tend to be very long, especially when you're lpeing them (like what happened with Mother 3, took me nearly 9 months to complete the lp).
On the bright side, it's fairly light on dialogue. Most of the work will be from taking scenic screenshots of dungeons and giving commentary on fusion and bosses, rather than retyping ungodly amounts of in-game text. It is an undertaking, but at least it shouldn't get repetitive.

spekkio

Arcane
Fuck yeah!

Gentleman on the wheelchair approves:

154il1x.jpg

Name the protagonist Kingcomrade (KC). I mean, just look at him:

sookyp.jpg

Also: do all the Kalpas to the sweet sweet end or...

:rpgcodex:

Oh, and:

Overweight Manatee said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Not playing on hard is a pussy move.
:M

KalosKagathos

Learned
spekkio said:
Also: do all the Kalpas to the sweet sweet end or...

:rpgcodex:
I definitely will be showing the entire Labyrinth of Amala. Whether or not I take the elevator at the end and seal the ending is something that a vote will decide.

Not impressed with name suggestions so far. KC is a fine nickname, but picking Cleve for the full name will more or less force me to get the Yosuga ending, as any other alliance will be blatantly out of character. :M

spekkio

Arcane
You're going to pick up your Reason based on Hivemind's votes?

Good luck with that...

:lol:

Can be done, but with some rage on your side...

Black Cat

Magister
Do either the True Demon ending or the autistic one. Autistic is more Codex, but True Demon has Him as a party member, and that makes it the prefered one for an LP.

Also,

This.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

If you're worried, just keep about two, three rolling saves. Have you completed the game before? Nocturne is definitely manageable if you know what to expect.

KalosKagathos

Learned
treave said:

If you're worried, just keep about two, three rolling saves. Have you completed the game before? Nocturne is definitely manageable if you know what to expect.
Yeah, I did complete it. What does the Hard difficulty change? If it's just a 50% increase to enemy damage, or something, I may give it go.

lightbane

Arcane
To prevent of having trouble deciding which ending to do, you should do this: Create a poll stating each ending with a very brief description of each one (so there aren't any spoilers), write "These are the possible endings. Which is better and why? Discuss!" as the title, set let's say 60 days for the poll to expire and then pick the ending with most votes.
However, since we are the Codex you should do the option that causes as much butthurt as possible, the True Demon ending should be the one you do.

PS: That reminds me, I still have not finished the game yet, I know, it's :decline: but my computer isn't good enough for the emulator.

KalosKagathos said:
treave said:

Yeah, I did complete it. What does the Hard difficulty change? If it's just a 50% increase to enemy damage, or something, I may give it go.

Enemy damage is increased, status effects work more often on your chzracter, and its harder to escape from battle using the regular escape (so the items that let you escape are actually useful to collect). There may also be some kind of price increase on summoning, don't remember. Maybe that was only for the Persona games.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
KalosKagathos said:
treave said:

If I remember correctly, items and summoning costs are two or three times more expensive, you take at least double damage from anything that can damage you, you can't run unless you use an item or skill (so considering the cost of buying stuff, don't even bother running until you get Trafuri).

I think the Hama/Mudo spells work more frequently too, but no self-respecting SMT player is going to leave their main character walking around utterly unprotected to instant kill spells, are they?

But if you've completed it before, you roughly know which demons to take for which dungeons. That makes things quite simple. Unless you're doing a Protagonist-only solo run of Nocturne Hard mode.

KalosKagathos

Learned
lightbane said:
To prevent of having trouble deciding which ending to do, you should do this: Create a poll stating each ending with a very brief description of each one (so there aren't any spoilers), write "These are the possible endings. Which is better and why? Discuss!" as the title, set let's say 60 days for the poll to expire and then pick the ending with most votes.
However, since we are the Codex you should do the option that causes as much butthurt as possible, the True Demon ending should be the one you do.
Nah, I'll just ask people how I should treat Reasons when they're first introduced. Less spoilers that way.
treave said:
If I remember correctly, items and summoning costs are two or three times more expensive, you take at least double damage from anything that can damage you, you can't run unless you use an item or skill (so considering the cost of buying stuff, don't even bother running until you get Trafuri).
What about Fast Retreat (a passive that raises the probability of running away and can be learned from the Ankh magatama at a low level)? Completely useless?
I think the Hama/Mudo spells work more frequently too, but no self-respecting SMT player is going to leave their main character walking around utterly unprotected to instant kill spells, are they?
The Ankh magatama looks more and more attractive.
But if you've completed it before, you roughly know which demons to take for which dungeons. That makes things quite simple. Unless you're doing a Protagonist-only solo run of Nocturne Hard mode.
So far it really doesn't sound like anything that a War Cry and a Tetraja at the start of a battle can't fix. Low levels will probably be a pain, but whatever, Hard it is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
KalosKagathos said:
What about Fast Retreat (a passive that raises the probability of running away and can be learned from the Ankh magatama at a low level)? Completely useless?

It may help, but I wouldn't risk it. I've never actually used the skill before so I don't know how much it increases the escape probability. Recommendation is to not bother and stick with 100% guaranteed escape skills/items. Losing a turn could be fatal.

So far it really doesn't sound like anything that a War Cry and a Tetraja at the start of a battle can't fix. Low levels will probably be a pain, but whatever, Hard it is.

Yeah. The hardest fight is actually the first Preta fight when you really have nothing to work with. :lol:

KalosKagathos

Learned
Update 2: Prologue, part 2

And by popular demand...

pcsx2r31132010091909182.jpg

Don't blame me if it turns out I can't finish the game without spamming save states like crazy.

pcsx2r31132010091909233.jpg

Kingcomrade didn't fit, so I went with something even more prestigious.

pcsx2r31132010091909234.jpg

Woman's voice: I see, so your name is Reginald von Dex... As of now, your will to live shall be sustained.

pcsx2r31132010091909243.jpg

Woman's voice: You may not understand right now... but please don't forget what you've heard here... I'm the nurturer of the next world. It is my duty to create the world that is to come... Now, I want you to say my name out loud.

pcsx2r31132010091909250.jpg

What's the deal with JRPGs and their love of dots? Regardless, we get to name all the major NPCs as well (with one exception), but those come with default names, which I will be using.

pcsx2r31132010091909252.jpg

Woman's voice: ...Reginald. I won't shed another tear, not even at the world's end. I'd like to see you in the next world, though... Go ahead and wake up. It's time...

pcsx2r31132010091909253.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909254.jpg

Announcer: Please do not rush onto the train. The door is now closing.

pcsx2r31132010091909255.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909260.jpg

And that's our main character:

shinmegatennocturneconc.jpg

SMT II players may recognize the demon icons on his arms.

Message: You haven't forgotten that we're going to visit Ms. Takao, have you? Hurry up and get over to Yoyogi Park. You're wasting my quality time!

It's from your classmate. Enter his name.

pcsx2r31132010091909262.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909263.jpg

Message: Oh yeah, you better make sure you like nice for her. How about the jacket you bought the other day... Y'know, the one with a demon graphic on it? You're just the mood maker. Don't forget that.

pcsx2r31132010091909265.jpg

After reading what has to be the longest short message ever typed on a mobile phone, we're finally given control of our character. The HUD is quite minimalistic at this point, with a compass in the bottom right corner and the name of the current location at the upper right. A handy auto-map can be accessed by pressing triangle. More features will be added at the end of the prologue.

pcsx2r31132010091909270.jpg

There's a vending machine to the left that can be used to buy a Mysterious Drink. The inventory can't be accessed at the time, so I can't see what it actually does, but if memory doesn't fail me, it's either a recovery item or a grenade-type item that deals elemental damage to all foes. Either way, it's something useful.

pcsx2r31132010091909273.jpg

Some guy that we can talk to.

pcsx2r31132010091909273.jpg

Employee: After the incident, we've had a lot of lookee-loos, but not so many customers. Man, I've had a lot of free time on my hands... Huh? Are you saying that you haven't heard the news???
mchuman.jpg
What's going on?

pcsx2r31132010091909274.jpg

Employee: If you want the details, you can check the giant screen. A buncha people were killed. You could hear the sirens wailing all night long. I'm sorry about that... I shouldn't be talking on the job, even if I'm not busy.

pcsx2r31132010091909281.jpg

And that's everything the station has to offer. Time to move on.

BGM: World Map -Real World-

pcsx2r31132010091909282.jpg

There are several points of interest here. First, let's check out the screen to the southeast, as the employee suggested.

The news is showing on the giant video display...

pcsx2r31132010091909314.jpg

Newscaster: The demonstration got out of hand, and there have been several deaths and injuries reported. Also, Hikawa, the top executive of Cybers Communication is still missing. Stay tuned to see what the weather forecast has planned.

The news continues...

I, for one, am certain that this Hikawa dude doesn't have anything to do with anything. :M

Certain people you can meet on the streets have some foreshadowing to dump on you.

pcsx2r31132010091909285.jpg

Shabby man: It's a dream where da world becomes round... By gum! I means ter say... Da world IS round, but it got round-er, ya see!? I think it's a prophetic dream, but no one believes me... By gum!

pcsx2r31132010091909304.jpg

High school boy: ...Did you hear the rumor about Yoyogi Park?
mchuman.jpg
No.
High school boy: I heard, on the night of the riot, a demon was spotted at Yoyogi Park. It was a terrible demon that killed all those people! Well... it's just a rumor.

A rumored demon, you say? To the Kuzunoha Detective Agency! Sorry, wrong game.

pcsx2r31132010091909311.jpg

Young man: He had a giant sword on his back and looked dangerous! But, I swear I've seen him somewhere before... Hmmm...

Enough stumbling around, we have an appointment.

pcsx2r31132010091909324.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909325.jpg

Man: I won't be able to get a single picture of the scene... Just my luck.

pcsx2r31132010091909330.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909330.jpg

mchuman.jpg
What happened here?

pcsx2r31132010091909331.jpg

hijiri.jpg
"The clash between a well-known company and a civic organization results in deaths..."

pcsx2r31132010091909332.jpg

hijiri.jpg
...that it was a struggle between two opposing cults.

Your cell phone started to ring.

pcsx2r31132010091909333.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909333.jpg

Classmate: *sigh* I finally got a hold of you. What have you been doing all this time?

Please enter your classmate's name.

pcsx2r31132010091909335.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909340.jpg

Chiaki: Where are you now? Yoyogi Park? Well, since you didn't show up on time, Isamu and I left without you. ...We're almost there. So yeah, I'm sorry, but can you come directly to the hospital? You know which hospital it is? ...Yeah, Shinjuku Medical Center. Just go east from Shinjuku Station, and you can't miss it. Oh well. I wanted to talk to Ms. Takao about what I should do after graduation anyway.
mchuman.jpg
I'll be there ASAP.
Chiaki: Thanks, I'm not planning on staying there long. Okay then, see you later.

Chiaki hung up.

pcsx2r31132010091909343.jpg

That's keen hearing you have there.

hijiri.jpg
...That's where I'm headed, too. What a coincidence.

pcsx2r31132010091909351.jpg

hijiri.jpg
You don't know what happened here, right? Then, you probably don't know what kind of a place that hospital is, either. The report on the Gaea cult and the Scripture of Miroku... It's an interesting read.

pcsx2r31132010091909352.jpg

hijiri.jpg
You wouldn't normally associate a hospital with the occult, but... That place is different. ...Heheh. False info is pretty common in the occult industry. If it does turn out to be wrong, just laugh it off, okay? Well, I'd better get going. My name's Hijiri. If we ever meet again, let me know what you thought about my article.

Spooky. Now let's catch up to our impatient friends.

pcsx2r31132010091909355.jpg

BGM: Shinjuku Hygenic Hospital

pcsx2r31132010091909360.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909361.jpg

chiaki.jpg
You know, this hospital... It's a little strange.

pcsx2r31132010091909362.jpg

chiaki.jpg
Look, even the reception desk is empty. Isn't it creepy here? I don't like it...

pcsx2r31132010091909363.jpg

chiaki.jpg
He hasn't come back yet, though. He'd better not be off fooling around. ...Hey, what's that magazine?
mchuman.jpg
Do you want to read it?
chiaki.jpg
Knowing your taste, it probably wouldn't interest me.

pcsx2r31132010091909572.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909573.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the image on the back is from SMT: if...

chiaki.jpg
...Well, I guess it might help me kill some time.

pcsx2r31132010091909574.jpg

chiaki.jpg
If we can't find Ms. Takao, then I don't wanna stay here another minute. He should be on the second floor, where the patients' rooms are. I'll wait here. ...Oh yeah, let me borrow this magazine. Thanks!

pcsx2r31132010091909592.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909595.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091909595.jpg

As it turns out, Isamu really is on the second floor.

pcsx2r31132010091910001.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910002.jpg

Sorry for the weird blur on his hands. Must be an emulation glitch. I'm running the game in software mode to minimize them, but some are still present. At least shadows don't overlap the models like they do in hardware mode.

isamu.jpg
You come here late, you cause trouble... Geez. Ah, forget it.

pcsx2r31132010091910003.jpg

isamu.jpg
I called Ms. Takao and double checked, though. She said, "Shinjuku Medical Center."
mchuman.jpg
Just relax.

pcsx2r31132010091910005.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910010.jpg

isamu.jpg
Oh well.

pcsx2r31132010091910011.jpg

isamu.jpg
She's probably all mad at 'cuz I've been gone so long... *sigh* It's hard to please a girl with her upbringing.

pcsx2r31132010091910011.jpg

isamu.jpg
I really hope that this is nothing we should be worried about...

pcsx2r31132010091910012.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910020.jpg

There's another vending machine on the second floor of the hospital. With more equipment obtained, let's report back to Chiaki.

pcsx2r31132010091910031.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910032.jpg

chiaki.jpg
Um, Reginald... You know that special report at the beginning of the magazine? Well, it says some things that are a little disturbing.

Disturbing things in an occult magazine? No way.

pcsx2r31132010091910034.jpg

chiaki.jpg
They're right here in Japan. Anyway, they believe in this book of prophecy called the Scripture of Miroku.

pcsx2r31132010091910035.jpg

chiaki.jpg
and these people are actually trying to make that happen. The reporter was unable to learn what is meant by "chaos"... It could be worldwide terrorism, or some other tragedy. But...

pcsx2r31132010091910040.jpg

isamu.jpg
I even checked the men's room.

pcsx2r31132010091910041.jpg

chiaki.jpg
We're in the middle of a conversation, so please save the details for later.

pcsx2r31132010091910042.jpg

chiaki.jpg
"A hospital on the east side of Shinjuku is closely linked to their plan..."

pcsx2r31132010091910042.jpg

isamu.jpg
You know, this could be the hospital that they're referring to.

pcsx2r31132010091910044.jpg

isamu.jpg
Things like they experiment on patients, and how a psychic got scared and ran outta here... There was also one about the hospital being under the influence of some cult...

pcsx2r31132010091910045.jpg

chiaki.jpg
I haven't heard those things before. Maybe we shouldn't have come...

pcsx2r31132010091910050.jpg

chiaki.jpg
There's definitely something wrong with this hospital.

pcsx2r31132010091910051.jpg

isamu.jpg
I'm worried about Ms. Takao.

pcsx2r31132010091910052.jpg

isamu.jpg
It looks like you can access the annex from the second floor. I'll go take a look.

pcsx2r31132010091910053.jpg

You obtained an ID Card.

pcsx2r31132010091910053.jpg

chiaki.jpg
...You're not scared, are you?
isamu.jpg
O-Of course not! I'm sure she's not down there, that's why I'm having Reginald go!

Pwned.

pcsx2r31132010091910055.jpg

isamu.jpg
It's my duty to see her in person. If something does happen, Reginald, just run like hell! Alright?

pcsx2r31132010091910060.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910060.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910061.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910064.jpg

On the other side of the gates, there are there's a hallway with three doors of interest:

pcsx2r31132010091910070.jpg

The first door on the left side of the hallway leads to this charming room:

pcsx2r31132010091910071.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910075.jpg

The door at the very end of the hallway leads to the annex, but can't be opened right now. Last, but not least, the door to the right leads to plot advancement:

pcsx2r31132010091910080.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910081.jpg

What kind of a question is that?

BGM: Hikawa

pcsx2r31132010091910082.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910082.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910083.jpg

Nice suit.

hikawa.jpg
How irritating...

pcsx2r31132010091910085.jpg

hikawa.jpg
"April is the cruelest month." Why? Because it is then that one must wake up from a long sleep and face the barren world.

The more times I read this line, the less sense it makes.

hikawa.jpg
Looking back on the past , it is evident that the history of mankind is comprised of meaningless events. The worthless overgrowth of a civilization blind to its sins, continuous bloodshed and war, and thousands of years of repeating the same mistakes again and again. ...The world must start over from the beginning. The way to salvation was foretold in the Scripture of Miroku, and today is the day that the prophecy shall be fulfilled. The old world will sink like a setting sun, and the new world will arise in its place.

pcsx2r31132010091910093.jpg

I absolutely love how he spontaneously decides to deliver a highly :philosoraptor: speech without even wondering who he's talking to.

hikawa.jpg
From what I remember, you're not one of our followers who survived the purge at the park.

pcsx2r31132010091910094.jpg

hikawa.jpg
Come to think of it, this was a hospital, wasn't it? I see, you came to visit her. However, even a pebble creates ripples when cast in water. I do feel pity for you, but... Your life ends here!

BGM: Boss Appearance

pcsx2r31132010091910100.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910110.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910111.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910111.jpg

hikawa.jpg
All the inhabitants of this world will follow before long.

pcsx2r31132010091910115.jpg

As nice as Isamu's advice was, I don't think you can just run away from a guy who can will levitating goats into existence.

hikawa.jpg
Fool... No one can overcome their fate.

pcsx2r31132010091910120.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910120.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910121.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910121.jpg

yuko.jpg
It should have absolutely no effect on our plan.

pcsx2r31132010091910122.jpg

hikawa.jpg
...Such a troublesome Maiden.

pcsx2r31132010091910123.jpg

hikawa.jpg
Please leave this room. I would like to enjoy this blissful end in solitude.

pcsx2r31132010091910124.jpg

yuko.jpg
We'll have a good view of the city from there. Come, see it with your own eyes. Witness that which will change the world...

That was a close call. But let's not keep the lady waiting. However, on our way to the elevator...

pcsx2r31132010091910131.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910132.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910132.jpg

oldwomany.jpg
I see. My, my...

pcsx2r31132010091910133.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910133.jpg

What was that all about?

pcsx2r31132010091910135.jpg

BGM: Tokyo Conception

pcsx2r31132010091910141.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910141.jpg

yuko.jpg
I'm glad I made it in time, back there at the basement... I wouldn't want you to fall prey to a demon. You heard what Hikawa said, right? The world is about to be engulfed by chaos. It's called the Conception... The rebirth of the world, an event which no human has ever witnessed. Everyone outside of this hospital will perish.

pcsx2r31132010091910183.jpg

yuko.jpg
But, even if we let this old world continue to exist, it would eventually lose all of its power. The world must die, for it to be born again... And I alone will carry the burden of its sin. ...No, I don't have any regrets.

pcsx2r31132010091910190.jpg

yuko.jpg
You came here, led by fate. And it is your fate that you will live through the Conception. It may actually be more painful than death...

pcsx2r31132010091910191.jpg

yuko.jpg
Reginald...

pcsx2r31132010091910193.jpg

yuko.jpg
No matter how the world changes, I'll be your strength. As the Maiden, I'll take part in the creation of the new world... I'm sure that I'll be able to provide you with guidance. ...I know it's difficult for you to understand. But, we're out of time. Reginald... If you can find me on your own, I promise that I'll tell you everything... The answers to all your questions, and what my true feelings are...

Your what? The hell is wrong with this game?

pcsx2r31132010091910200.jpg

It's on.

pcsx2r31132010091910200.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910202.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910203.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910204.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910205.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910205.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910210.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910210.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910211.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910212.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910212.jpg

Don't worry if you have absolutely no idea WTF has just happened. A rather clear explanation will be given once we leave the hospital.

For now, have the obligatory mindfuck sequence instead.

pcsx2r31132010091910214.jpg

Mysterious voice: ...You have nothing in your heart. Not even a hint of Reason. For the one who will shape the world, this cannot be. Go! And discover yourself...

pcsx2r31132010091910220.jpg

Of course, it only gets better from here.

pcsx2r31132010091910221.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910222.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910222.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910223.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910224.jpg

oldwomany.jpg
It is vital that you receive this gift.

pcsx2r31132010091910225.jpg

oldwomany.jpg
It will only hurt for an instant...

Please don't tell me that you want to show your young master where babies come from on me.

pcsx2r31132010091910230.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910230.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910231.jpg

Don't worry, folks, they're just sticking a demonic insect-like thingy in our character's brain.

pcsx2r31132010091910232.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910233.jpg

On this light-hearted and upbeat note ends this update.

Before you ask, future updates will contain significantly less dialogue and exposition, and more getting shit done.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'd so play this, but I just can't configure the PS2 emu settings, so as to run it smoothly on my pc. :(

spekkio

Arcane
53863913300213692225.gif

53863913300213692225.gif

Change Interlacing Mode (F5 key).

At least shadows don't overlap the models like they do in hardware mode
They didn't on the rev. that I was using to play the game...

Reason-related butthurt detected...

KalosKagathos said:
Is it?

anus_pounder said:
default names
:thumbsup:

Awesome work so far, KalosKagathos.
But I think we need MOAR!

In before: "LOL it's just the same emo-weaboo bullshit as in Final Fantasy, OLOLO".

spekkio said:
At least shadows don't overlap the models like they do in hardware mode
They didn't on the rev. that I was using to play the game...

I've heard there was a rev that fixes the shadows, but everyone says it broke other things in the game much worse so it was changed back. What were you using?

Regardless, I prefer high res with minor shadow issues to low res. The shadows aren't noticeable most of the time unless you are specifically looking at a character's feet for some reason.

pcsx22010091910155515.png

vs.

KalosKagathos

Learned
spekkio said:
Change Interlacing Mode (F5 key).
Thanks, I'll play around with that setting.
Overweight Manatee said:
Regardless, I prefer high res with minor shadow issues to low res. The shadows aren't noticeable most of the time unless you are specifically looking at a character's feet for some reason.
Sorry, OM, but this isn't a techwankery thread. I'd like to keep the picture as close to what it'd look like on a PS2 as possible. And the shadows glitch royally fucks up several cut scenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom