Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: GROM (Finished!)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In today's episode of 'Games you've never heard about', I bring you...

cover.jpg

Grom is a... yeah, good question what is it. Guess you could call it an action RPG. Based in Tibet, it has us take the character Grom and various other people he meets on the road so we can stop evil Nazis who want to find ancient supertechnology! It generally has this pretty neat Indiana Jones-ish vibe.

Intro:

intro1.jpg

intro2.jpg

intro3.jpg

intro4.jpg

intro5.jpg

intro6.jpg

intro7.jpg

intro8.jpg

OSNAP, NAZI AIRCRAFT

intro9.jpg

intro10.jpg

intro11.jpg

intro12.jpg

Remember kids: ancient tibetans discovered rocketry

intro13.jpg

Oh my.

grom0102.jpg

The curtains actually fold a little when you move the mouse pointer over them. Fun stuff.

grom0001.jpg

grom0002.jpg

grom.jpg
Leave it. Each run it only gets worse and worse. I get crazy when I only think about...

petr.jpg
So don't think, leave it to me. Take care of our safety, that will do.

grom.jpg
I've already spent one year in Tibet and I have enough of smuggling things through the mountains and listening to your promises that we'll be rich.

petr.jpg
What do you want?

grom0007.jpg

Grom is X-TREME. He also shares his name with the Polish Special Forces.

grom0008.jpg

WHEN SUDDENLY...

grom0009.jpg

grom0010.jpg

petr.jpg
What's the matter? What do you need the rifle for?

grom0012.jpg

Petr ducks and covers, while Grom first searches for the rifle...

grom0015.jpg

Then has to reload it...

grom0016.jpg

And to add insult to injury, it's jammed.

grom0017.jpg

Before he can get a clear shot, the zeppelin flies away.

grom0018.jpg

petr.jpg
What happened?

grom.jpg
Let's go. Demons of the past have come back. We must go now.

grom0021.jpg

Right, we gain control.

grom0022.jpg

Here's Grom's inventory.

grom0023.jpg

His bio

grom0024.jpg

'Diplomacy cards' he can use. I'll get back to them when we actually have to use them.

grom0025.jpg

And his skillz in weaponry

grom0026.jpg

grom0027.jpg

Skills increase through usage. The higher the skill, the more damage you do, and firearms are less likely to jam.

grom0028.jpg

Petr's stuff. The blunderbuss he carries can be deadly, but ammo to it is scarce.

grom0029.jpg

grom0030.jpg

grom0031.jpg

grom0032.jpg

grom0033.jpg

grom0034.jpg

And the yak. The yak is pretty much the same thing as the mule in Dungeon Siege. A fat backpack on four legs.

grom0035.jpg

Nothing we can do here, so let's just leave.

grom0036.jpg

Our destination.

grom0037.jpg

And our location.

grom0038.jpg

Let us travel to the checkpoint, then...

grom0039.jpg

Or not.

grom0040.jpg

Filthy bandits are blocking the path!

grom0041.jpg

petr.jpg
There are too many of them. We won't get out alive.

grom.jpg
Don't worry. We'll figure something out.

grom0044.jpg

Some of the bandit boys pull back.

grom0045.jpg

We order the yak to stay where it is, as in combat it's nothing but target practice for the enemy.

grom0046.jpg

After which we order our bros to lie down to sneak past the lookout.

grom0047.jpg

There's some stuff glimmering in that ravine, so we better get it first.

grom0048.jpg

This guy we better eliminate without the use of firearms, as to not alert the others.

This means...

grom0049.jpg

Gangbanging him with fists and sharp, pointy objects.

Also, health: when you take damage, some of it you need to heal with food/medkits (that's the green bar), but other will quickly regenerate (the red bar)

grom0050.jpg

The shiny objects were a couple of knives and grenades. Excellent.

grom0051.jpg

Fire in the hole!

grom0052.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, a single grenade is not enough to eliminate a bandit, so we have to finish him off with the rifle.

grom0053.jpg

Then his buddy.

grom0054.jpg

And his buddy's buddy.

grom0055.jpg

Then those two.

grom0056.jpg

And last are these two swordsmen.

But as one wise man would say...

grom0057.jpg

Don't take swords to an artillery range :smug:

grom0058.jpg

As you can see, the grenades do a lot of 'temporary' damage, so we should eliminate them quickly before they regenerate hp (lololo popamole)

grom0059.jpg

This means, again, gangbanging them with sharp objects.

Although when doing this, you have to be careful about friendly fire because your dumbfucks tend to sword themselves instead of the enemy.

grom0060.jpg

The pass is clear. Grom took many hits, though.

grom0061.jpg

Time to heal up.

grom0062.jpg

grom0063.jpg

Let's resume the journey and hope nothing happens this time.

grom0064.jpg

Splendid.

grom0065.jpg

petr.jpg
Leave it alone, man, we played fair.

soldat.jpg
*reloads the rifle* Don't make me angry, give me my money back.

petr.jpg
Maybe we can settle it somehow? Maybe we'll play once again? You can win.

soldat.jpg
You've got ten seconds before I shoot.

petr.jpg
Let me check in my notebook if I have your name written down. But beware of my wrath if it isn't there!

eh?

grom0071.jpg

Oh dear...

petr.jpg
Grom, do something. This crazy man won't let us through.

grom.jpg
I'll move aside in case he misses :smug:

petr.jpg
Listen, I've got lots of china. I can give you one vase, you'll get plenty of cash for it.

soldat.jpg
I don't care about your pots, you've got a few seconds left.

grom0076.jpg

A wild officer appears.

soldat.jpg
I just stopped...

officer.jpg
What are you talking about? Your shoes are dirty and the gun is sticky with mud! Go to the barracks and polish everything up! On the double!

Officer uses abuse of power

soldat.jpg
Yes sir!

grom0080.jpg

It's super effective!

petr.jpg
I nearly died here, and you sweetly ask me if I've got it! Sure I've got it, but if you don't keep these crazy men far away from me the price will be higher!

officer.jpg
All right, all right. Give me the egg.

petr.jpg
Slowly, business first.

officer.jpg
Surely. Have you anything to declare?

grom0085.jpg

officer.jpg
The customs check is finished

:thumbsup:

grom.jpg
We saw a nazi zeppelin on the track. Do you know anything about it?

officer.jpg
The Nazis? Here? Thousands of kilometres from their hideout? No, that's impossible. You must have been hallucinating.

grom.jpg
I'm sure of it. I'll recognise these signs anywhere. Besides, I feel their presence here. The presence of death.

Cryptic.

officer.jpg
I'd surely get some information from headquarters. I don't have anything like that on my desk. Petr, give me the egg!

grom0092.jpg

petr.jpg
Do you think that if Her Majesty Intelligence knew anything, they would tell such a corruptible guy as our brave lieutenant?

grom.jpg
At least they should warn him to enhance their fighting strength.

petr.jpg
If he knew that he is in danger, he would pack his things and disappear somewhere in China. He wasn't sent here for his noble actions on the battlefield. Or maybe you really hallucinated. It could be some kind of mirage. Tibet is a country of miracles, you could see what you wanted to see. Why think about the past? The war is in Europe. We stay here quietly and earn money. We save for our future, stop thinking about those damn Nazis.

grom.jpg
Things have happened to me that I can't forget and I won't change that by escaping somewhere far away.

petr.jpg
Let's move on. This is not my dream. We'll sell part of the goods in Bart's Den and my mood will improve.

grom0101.jpg

This is it. The first city on our path to glory (there won't be many). We'll also stop here for now. We shall investigate the possibilities of fedex questing and money hoarding in the next update.

Last edited:

Black Cat

Magister
Grom's pretty cool, alright. It's really cheesy and fun, and weird, and a good Indiana Jones spoof. The last section alone is worth the journey to get there.

SoupNazi

Petr is a p. cool guy as he is also Czech. :smug:

I think this game was bundled with some games mag before but it looked so shitty and banal shit boring that I never bothered to try it out. If the LP is good I might as well dig it up, we'll see.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SoupNazi said:
Petr is a p. cool guy as he is also Czech. :smug:

I think this game was bundled with some games mag before but it looked so shitty and banal shit boring that I never bothered to try it out. If the LP is good I might as well dig it up, we'll see.

It gets especially awesome later on, when futuristic nazis and hindu demons start appearing :smug:

KalosKagathos

Learned
Oh gods, I remember this one. Except I don't. I think I managed to get pretty far in it before getting bored, and I think I fought a fire demon with nothing but a knife to get into a monastery at some point, but it's all very fuzzy.

lightbane

Arcane
Never heard of it, does it feature tasteful rape/good writing? Is the combat turn-based?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lightbane said:
Never heard of it, does it feature tasteful rape/good writing? Is the combat turn-based?

No rape that I know of.

Good writing... uh, well, I would say that it's okay, but mostly it's just pretty goofy (which I don't mind at all, serious business is for suckers), although keep in mind that while I played through this game like thrice, each time was the Polish version, which was, I think, the original one, so there might be a lot of... good stuff in the English translation (such as the 'feel my wrath' line, for instance). But I especially like the 'historical fantasy' setting of this game, I must say.

Combat is GRTC - gigantic real time clusterfuck, which only makes it more amusing :smug: especially when you have like 4 party members and gangbang enemies with knives and swords.

SoupNazi

Is it fully voiced? I wonder how do Americans (or whoever did English voice acting) pronounce Petr.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SoupNazi said:
Is it fully voiced? I wonder how do Americans (or whoever did English voice acting) pronounce Petr.

Not fully. Some dialogues are voiced, others are not.

The English soldier just called him 'Peter', as in, the English version of Peter, with the long ee sound.

Luzur

Good Sir
why nazis? should have been better and more fitting with Chinese or Soviets.

somesort of polish butthurt game?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roxxor you know the crayzeest awesome games

Keep em coming

Luzur said:

I would assume Poles are pretty butthurt about Soviets too. Katyn?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Brother None said:
Roxxor you know the crayzeest awesome games

Verdammt :/

Luzur said:

No, it wouldn't have been more fitting. After all, Nazis were the stereotypical occult bastards seeking all kinds of holy grails and spears of destiny. I generally don't like this new 'trend' of making Soviets the new Nazis in just about all media.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Time to initiate a lot of wonky-written dialogues.

grom0104.jpg

First, with this guy.

grom0105.jpg

grom.jpg
It's ok.

merch.jpg
Yeaahh... hmmm...

grom.jpg
Hmmm... Yeaahh...

merch.jpg
So, how is your uncle Tongda?

grom.jpg
Uncle Tongda? Mm... cool... mmm... you know, geranium grew in his garden!

merch.jpg
Are you kidding? At 6000 meters? On the rocks? That's amazing!

grom.jpg
Yeah... mmm, amazing.

:thumbsup:

grom0120.jpg

grom0121.jpg

grom.jpg
Nice weather today.

monk.jpg
The nature is graceful for us, but we must take care that our actions do not spoil such a beautiful day.

grom.jpg
On the track I saw monks who changed the weather with their wizardry. Very impressive.

monk.jpg
Black magic. You cannot deal with such things. It's forbidden.

grom.jpg
Forbidden? Maybe you could show me something? I'll pay well.

monk.jpg
I won't change the weather. Besides, it's clearly forbidden.

grom0128.jpg

monk.jpg
I'll show you something that probably won't offend the gods and demons of this place, but it will freeze the blood in your veins. This is the stone of monks.

grom.jpg
Sounds promising.

monk.jpg
The power that drives life on Earth is invisible and difficult to control. They key to making miracles is control over this power. Thanks to many years of meditation, monks can do that. They can walk on water, fly like birds, cure all illnesses. You can name their power for hours. Ordinary people have no access to this knowledge. But nothing is lost! For the sake of social expectations, I prepared something that can be used by anybody. Make your own miracle! This is my motto. I went to the monastery and I asked the monks if they want to cooperate with me. We closed miracles in stones in order to be able to keep them for a longer while.

grom.jpg
That's pretty amazing.

monk.jpg
I've got a few kinds of stones. Which ones do you want to buy?

grom0137.jpg

This stuff is pretty much a glorified medkit. Its cost is also pretty preposterous, and since we can find 7 of them by pillaging the local houses, I say screw this guy.

grom0138.jpg

grom0139.jpg

soldat.jpg
How was the last journey? Without surprises? Times are uneasy now, there are lots of smugglers and bandits on the track. Hah!

grom.jpg
Greetings to the brave team that guards the Empire's borders. I hope that you barred the door for the night. There are people out there who could kidnap you. So, ladies. A little bet who scores better at the shooting gallery?

grom0144.jpg

Yup, you can actually choose what NPCs will say in certain dialogues.

grom.jpg
Holy words, soldier. I hope you have enough of it because this time I don't accept any drafts. Cash, ladies, cash.

soldat.jpg
How confident he is! First show us that you have cash so that we don't have to take stinking rags off of you.

grom.jpg
All right, enough of this small talk.

grom0148.jpg

Since we are X-TREME, we, of course, choose the hardest 'diffuculty'.

grom0150.jpg

This is pretty simple. Target dummies pop up, shoot them before they go down. Get 11 hits and win.

grom0154.jpg

Oh wow, you get a total of 3 pounds per hit. The ammo I shot was probably more valuable than this. Oh well.

grom0155.jpg

Let's plunder the houses.

grom0156.jpg

Yeah, pretty much each one looks like this. Some random loot thrown about, and that's all. Won't be posting screens of other empty houses because they only differ in loot.

grom0157.jpg

In one of them, however, we find brawling soldiers.

grom0158.jpg

grom0159.jpg

grom0160.jpg

Pff! We can take on every sucker they give us! Let's beat the crap out of the toughest one.

grom0161.jpg

This is like The Witcher all over again.

grom0162.jpg

Uh, shit.

grom0163.jpg

This didn't go exactly as planned...

grom0164.jpg

What? No one said that they are fighting to the death!

These soldiers are pretty extreme...

Yeah, screw them, let's keep exploring further.

grom0170.jpg

grom0171.jpg

... o_O

Whips and latex distributed equally?

grom0172.jpg

grom0173.jpg

grom0174.jpg

Yeah, this is some pretty easy cash. Keep dropping to the ground each time he throws a knife and win 50 gold. If you are hit three times, you lose. It does get boring after the first minute, though.

grom0191.jpg

Around the corner is a filthy bandit. Bastard has a blunderbuss, just like Petr - this stuff can do even 120 damage at point blank range. The downside is, obviously, the very short range, and the fact that you have to reload after every shot.

We should be extra careful, right?

grom0192.jpg

Naaaaaaah :smug: Thing is, when we bumrush him with two melee attackers, he gets pretty much stunlocked and can't do shit. This is like Gothic 3 all over again. Plus, most firearms also have a minimal range, so if enemies get too close, you can only hit them with the rifle butt.

grom0193.jpg

Now, what is this guy's problem?

grom0194.jpg

merch.jpg
I cannot deal with this animal any longer! It is the worst one of the whole herd!

grom.jpg
You are a breeder and you can't handle one yak?!

merch.jpg
I am not a breeder. My job is subjugating yaks.

grom.jpg
What?

merch.jpg
This is my family's profession. My father passed the secrets of this trade to me and I will pass them to my children. It has been going on like this for dozen generations.

grom.jpg
Why do you stand in place and wave your arms instead of catching the animal and bringing it back to the herd?

merch.jpg
I do that to soften its psyche. Without doing that, you can't get it to do anything.

grom.jpg
Leave it alone. You call it a method?! It will never come to you if you continue to wave your arms like a madman!

grom0204.jpg

grom.jpg
I'll show you how it's done.

grom0207.jpg

grom0208.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty simple.

grom0209.jpg

Go down.

grom0211.jpg

Approach and stand up.

merch.jpg
Well, you were right. But there is a little 'but'.

grom.jpg
What? Have I hurt the yak's self-respect?

merch.jpg
No, nothing like that. But you had to run around and I just stayed in place. The yak would have come to me anyway.

grom.jpg
Okay, use your own techniques then. Good luck.

merch.jpg
Take it easy, newcomer. I really appreciate your attempt here. I'll give you a present. I don't have many valuable things, but you can choose anything from my rucksack.

grom0218.jpg

Wow... yeah, that's a really fucking generous reward. Yes it is. Although the task wasn't exactly hard either, and iirc, we'll be doing it later a few times, so this was like basic training.

Whatev.

grom0219.jpg

grom0220.jpg

grom0228.jpg

petr.jpg
Thanks man, but I want to live for some time yet. If you clean these rooms sometime in the future, maybe I'll give it a try. Right now, I'm afraid something might attack me.

bart.jpg
What are you talking about? I clean this room up frequently! Unfortunately, the local climate is a problem.

blablabla, they talk about the 'himalayan whistle eggs' that Petr is smuggling for the lieutenant. Turns out they are worth thousands of pounds back in London, and Petr had no idea about it.

bart.jpg
Mr Grom, I have very important information for you! Please come to me before you leave, we'll talk.

grom0249.jpg

bart.jpg
No! No! All the grace of the Queen smiles on me soon after their pay day. The brave army drinks up all of the stock of my whisky and my heart is happy and filled with love.

grom.jpg
Have you got anything for me?

bart.jpg
There is a little commission. I heard that it pays very well.

grom.jpg
Go on, a little bonus to my salary won't hurt.

bart.jpg
Let's go to the back room. These walls have ears, there we can talk.

grom0256.jpg

grom.jpg
If it concerns only you, why do you tell me about it?

bart.jpg
Take it easy, mr Grom. It's not only me who gets paid here. You'll get the bigger part of it.

grom.jpg
I know you. If you say I get the bigger part, I'm suspicious. What is the job?

bart.jpg
I don't know exactly, but the matter is interesting enough, and I can feel big money there. In Upshi town there is a man called Olivier. A European. He is said to control everything that yields cash in that place forgotten by gods. Olivier sent a message that he is looking for a suitable man for a very difficult task. He pays a lot, but as far as I know, nobody has managed to complete this task yet. Nobody has returned alive from the mission. It is said that people from the neighbouring villages found their mutilated bodies. Somebody found a head with eyes poked out and tongue torn out.

grom.jpg
Sounds interesting. Why do you think I will succeed?

bart.jpg
I know you well enough to know that a warrior as you will not get his head cut off easily.

grom.jpg
It is easy for you to say that. It's not you who's risking his head. How can I find Olivier?

bart.jpg
It's hard to find him. He's very paranoid. He has his people in the town and only they can tell you where to meet him. I know a man who can help you. He's a beggar. He always stands by the wall next to the carpet shop. Tell him that I sent you and he will take you to Olivier.

grom.jpg
What's his name?

bart.jpg
He is called Stinking Milk of Yak.

That's promising.

grom.jpg
I wonder why...

bart.jpg
The answer is simple. When you talk to him...

grom.jpg
That's enough. I've got good imagination, I can guess the rest. Let's talk business. How much do you want?

bart.jpg
Well, well, well. How much can I want? Mr Grom, my person is so unimportant here. Let's say it's a little sum of maybe 20% of the whole.

grom.jpg
20%?! For the name of Stinking Milk of Yak?! I'd die first!

bart.jpg
What shall I get if you die? Nothing.

grom0284.jpg

grom0286.jpg

AWWWWright, boys and girls. Time to use diplomacy.

grom0287.jpg

We have those two cards. We can choose a deck of as many cards as we have, that is, two. We can either take one of each, or take multiple ones, while leaving out some others.

Our current cards are 'X-TREME' and 'BUTTHURT'

grom0288.jpg

Then you use your cards against the enemy's. The one who needs to give money starts, so we start here.

grom0289.jpg

As you can see, the cheating faggot Bart has more cards than we do. He also used a better one, which made the price go up.

grom0290.jpg

But then he picks the same card we did, which makes it go down again to 20% (although not visible on the screen 'cause I took it too soon)

Generally, responding with the same cards is either disaster or stalemate. Some cards counter certain ones better than others. Just a shame that I forgot almost all of the combinations...

grom0291.jpg

Yeah, we negotiated no change. That's rich.

You can also buy/sell stuff at Bart's, but for this I bring Petr, since he has more cards.

grom0294.jpg

His goods are mostly junk, so I only sell all the whisky and porcelain from the yak.

grom0295.jpg

Petr has two more cards: the 'dun care' one.

grom0296.jpg

And 'beg for cock'.

grom0297.jpg

This time, Bart is the 'buyer', so he starts. I should have recalled that the 'dun care' card is nearly useles...

grom0298.jpg

Oops..

grom0299.jpg

Uh... shit.

grom0300.jpg

Fortunately, the butthurt card makes the price skyrocket, so in the end, we actually made 18 gold of profit.

grom0301.jpg

We leave the frontier town, time to head for Upshi.

grom0302.jpg

grom0303.jpg

Surprise, surprise.

grom0304.jpg

Bandits again.

grom0305.jpg

One of them has a sawn-off. Its damage is worse than the blunderbuss, but you can fire twice before reloading.

grom0306.jpg

Also, friendly fire: Petr's shot might have taken down the bandit, but it also instagibbed Grom. Oops :M

When characters fall down, they are incapacitated for a while, and you have to wait for them to regenerate a part of their hp. However, if they go down again soon afterwards, they die, game over.

grom0307.jpg

DAMMIT, PETR, SHOOT FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

grom0308.jpg

Yeah... the blunderbuss got jammed. Sweet dreams!

grom0309.jpg

Grom regains conciousness.

grom0310.jpg

And dies soon afterwards. Hello, jamming rifle. ffs.

But we reload, and this time take out the bandits without a scratch. Trick is, pretty much, to snipe stuff with Grom, and when enemies get close, Petr's AI fires buckshot up their arses. Characters in 'defensive' stance return fire and attack enemies when they get close enough.

grom0311.jpg

This guy appears.

grom0312.jpg

dakpa.jpg
They kidnapped me! They wanted me to work as a slave on a tea plantation somewhere in India!

grom.jpg
What's your name?

dakpa.jpg
They call me Dakpa, but this is not my real name. I hide it from the tongues of people so that demons don't know where I am.

grom.jpg
Join us, we go to Upshi.

dakpa.jpg
You've got a lifelong friend in me.

grom.jpg
All right, all right. Let's get out of this place before someone puts an end to our friendship.

grom0320.jpg

grom0321.jpg

grom.jpg
A city on the roof of the world. A magical place full of friendly people.

petr.jpg
Did you hide the money well?

grom.jpg
You are not very romantic.

petr.jpg
What did you say? Ah... yes, a magic place. Very often money disappears here. Sometimes even people.

grom.jpg
Let's go on before I start shooting at everybody I meet.

dakpa.jpg
Once again I thank you for saving me. If I have enough strength, I'll always help you. Thank you and goodbye.

grom.jpg
Goodbye and be careful... friend. You saw that? There are still noble people in the world, who appreciate friendship and honour.

petr.jpg
You'd better check that he didn't steal anything from us.

He might have not stolen anything from us... but I, however, cleared out his backpack before we left the bandit area :smug:

Regardless, this is not the last time we meet Dakpa.

grom.jpg
I can't listen to you anymore.

petr.jpg
You think that I can listen to you...

grom0335.jpg

There we are. Upshi. Another promising town full of promising people. We'll investigate it closely another time.

Yeah, I know this game starts a little slow, but the meat pretty much comes once we leave Upshi (which should be in the next update), so hang on.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This entire game is really cheesy. I approve :thumbsup:

Though from your description of combat clusterfuck it looks more fun to watch than play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom