Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's not Play Geneforge anymore

Vitriol

Educated
Let's wield the power to create and destroy life. Let's explore mysterious and forbidden places. Let's make choices and face their consequences. Let's determine the future of the world.

Let's play Geneforge.

0001Geneforge.jpg

Part 1 - Shipwrecked on Sucia
Part 2 - Stranger in a strange land
Part 3 - Take me to your leader
Part 4 - Siege of Pentil

lol, dead

Vitriol

Educated
First we have to create a character, choosing from three available classes.

Shaper.jpg

Shapers are skilled at magic and unmatched in their ability to create powerful creatures. However, they are physically frail. A shaper will have to rely on its creations for protection.

Guardian.jpg

Guardians are the defenders of the Shapers. They are highly skilled in melee combat and can create creatures to aid them in the assault. However, their magical skills are otherwise weak.

Agent.jpg

Agents travel around on the command of the Shapers and solve problems, usually violently. Their magic and weapon skills are strong, but they are not good at creating creatures. Agents tend to be harder to play.

No, you don't get to pick. In this LP I'll be playing a Shaper, partly because it's fun to create a personal army to dispatch your enemies, and partly because the ability to create and destroy life at a whim is an important part of the plot, making this class the most relevant one. Don't worry though, I'll ask you to make a lot of decisions during the game.

0001Geneforge2.jpg

I raise Intelligence, Fire & Magic Shaping and Leadership. Non-combat skills are pretty useful - leadership improves dialogue options and mechanics make it easier to open locks and disable traps.

Intro1.jpg

The Shapers are the oldest, most respected, most secretive, and most powerful of the magical sects. The Shapers have the power to magically create life. The Shapers can make new life forms from nothing but raw materials and pure magic. They can mold this life to serve their purpose, be it light housework or major warfare. The Shapers guard the secrets of their powers very closely. To learn their techniques without permission is to court a speedy death, at the hands of a Guardian in the day or an Agent in the night.After years of work, study, and testing, you have finally been accepted into the Shapers. You will spend your life advancing their will and delving into their secrets and powers. However, none of those secrets have been shared with you yet. First, you must complete your apprenticeship. You must spend five years out in a Shaper colony on a remote island, watching their work and aiding their research.

Intro2.jpg

After a brief welcoming ceremony and a last night's celebration, you don your traditional garments and board your craft to the remote islands. The journey is two weeks long. You travel on a living craft, a specially modified drayk which will carry you through rough seas to your destination. After a week's journey, you pass close to a small chain of islands. You consult your chart and find that one of them is named Sucia Island. It is marked on your chart as Barred.Shapers declare places Barred for a variety of reasons. Experiments gone wrong. Dangerous accidents. Valuable secrets. Whatever the reason, any outsider in a Barred place is punished with instant death. Curious, you stand at the edge of your craft, carefully watching Sucia Island, wondering what secrets lie there. As you watch, you fail to notice the sailing ship dead ahead of you, off to the southeast coast of the island.

Intro3.jpg

Your craft cries out an alarm, alerting you to the danger. It is a strange ship, of a style you have never seen before. That is why you don't recognize the weapon on the prow. It fires a long spear at your craft. The razor-sharp bolt strikes your drayk in the neck. It roars in anger and breathes a bolt of fire at your attacker. It strikes the sails, which sets them alight. The battle takes only seconds. Your living craft founders, mortally wounded, dropping you into the water. Your goods and tools sink into the sepths. You attempt to swim to the surface.You barely notice that the ship which attacked you is aflame and having extreme difficulty. Your whole being is consumed with the struggle to reach the shore. Your strenth is not enough. You start to sink. But, with one last effort, your living craft assists you. Bleeding from its neck, rapidly dying, it manages to lift you with its head and carry you to a crumbling dock. Then it dies. It sinks away. You are left alone, abandoned, on this forbidden shore. You are alone on Sucia Island.

0007Geneforge.jpg

The game starts with a tutorial, which is exactly as exciting as it sounds.

kingcomrade.jpg
*groan*

We have no equipment, no special abilities and no creatures to back us up. Immediately upon arrival, we are attacked by a wall of text.

0009Geneforge.jpg

Such things will often come up when exploring new areas - some provide important information, others are just fluff. I'm not going to transcribe every single one, but I'll try to cover the important and interesting ones. Let's have a round of applause for our guest narrator, Jeff Vogel.

jeffface.jpg
You stagger off of the dock, weakened to the point of collapse by your desperate swim here. After a few minutes, you manage to regain enough of your senses to look around. You are on the south coast of the island you saw before your craft was slain. However, apart from the fact that this isle was declared Barred by your people, you know nothing about it. The structures around you are ruined and crumbling. You would guess that they have been abandoned for at least a century, probably two.

jeffface.jpg
Islands are generally barred because of a failed experiment and the presence of horrible, rogue creatures. Fortunately, except for the lapping of the waves on the base of the dock, all is quiet. If you are going to be devoured, it won' be soon. However, you are still stranded here, and desperately weak as well. Fortunately, the beach stretches off to the east. Maybe there is something useful here

0011Geneforge.jpg

We follow the words of wisdom, arrive at a tunnel...

0012Geneforge.jpg

...and scavenge some clothes.

kingcomrade.jpg
Hey, I found a bunch of papers. Surely they'll tell me what's going on here!

jeffface.jpg
It's no use. The papers crumble at your touch.

kingcomrade.jpg
...bastard.

jeffface.jpg
Beneath the papers, though, you find something interesting. It's a brass key, none the worse for wear for its long concealment. You take it.

kingcomrade.jpg
I guess it's good for what it is. Let's try that room over there...

0014Geneforge.jpg

Next room contains something considerably more interesting.

jeffface.jpg
Inside this small chamber, you find several cylindrical containers. They look like canisters, each a little over a foot high. The sides are made of thick, carefully blown glass. Most of them have been broken, and the contents are long lost. One of them, however, is still intact. Inside, you see a glowing fluid. It swirls and move about, seemingly under its own power. It looks like it is, in its own way, alive.

jeffface.jpg
It probably is. You have never seen anything eactly like this before, but you have seen similar objects. The Shapers can contain fluids, filled with life energy, which heal or energize those in need. This must be something like that. There is a small section of fragile glass at the top. If you break it with the palm of your hand, the substance will come forth and energize you. In your weakened state, it seems hard to resist.

kingcomrade.jpg
I don't like this shit, it's glowing and probably radioactive. I'll just leave it alone and...

jeffface.jpg
IN YOUR WEAKENED STATE IT SEEMS HARD TO RESIST

kingcomrade.jpg
*sigh*

0016Geneforge.jpg

Thus KC acquires his first special ability, the lvl 1 firebolt. You can increase stats and skills when you level up, but abilities can only be increased with these canisters. In later games, using too many canisters can seriously fuck you up. Not in this one, though, so there's no reason to hold back. :smug:

kingcomrade.jpg
I feel different.

jeffface.jpg
You stumble a bit. You still feel a bit woozy. It's not caused by hunger, though, but by the effects of the strange substance in that canister. The stuff didn't heal or revive you like you expected. It changed you. It's like it soaked into your skin and rewrote some of your very being, making you stronger. You take a minute to experiment. You extend your fingers and focus. Tiny trails of flame come out of them. You can work magic! You weren't able to before. Your training would not have reached that point for years. It is exhilarating and, at the same time, terrifying. This is completely unknown magic, alien to you. It seems like it was made by your people, but you had no idea that they could do something so wonderful. You feel, deep within yourself, an eagerness to find more of the canisters and see what they can do.

kingcomrade.jpg
I feel... powerful. More canisters! More power! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE!

0018Geneforge.jpg

A trashcan outside contains a healing pod. Pods are the Shaper answer to magic potions, coming with a variety of effects. We pocket it and move on...

0019Geneforge.jpg

...and find a sword by the entrance to the barracks

kingcomrade.jpg
Hell yeah! Gimme something to kill!

0021Geneforge.jpg

Sadly, the barracks themselves are pretty unremarkable. Even Vogel seems less talkative than usual.

jeffface.jpg
There isn't much left and the beds are ruined. It's starting to look like whoever was here left pretty quickly. A bunch of stuff was left behind

0023Geneforge.jpg

He's quickly back to normal though, as we move on to an abandoned inn and salvage a belt and a robe

jeffface.jpg
You are getting confused. Why is there so much here? Most islands are barred because o the experiments gone awry, and most such experiments are peformed by very small groups, in crude quarters, far from society. Yet you've seen warehouses, guardposts, and now an inn. At one point a lot of Shapers lived here. Now they're all gone. Why? What cound have driven so many people off? And what took their place?

kingcomrade.jpg
Ominous.

0025Geneforge.jpg

To the north, we find a pack of ornks.

jeffface.jpg
The ornk is a Shaper creation. It's a slow, clumsy livestock animal, hardy and laden with meat. Shapers created them to stock areas unfriendly to non-created animal, such as, apparently, this one. You notice that these ornks have large tusks, probably added by the Shapers to protect them from predators. Fortunately, they are likely to leave you alone, if you leave them alone.

The ornks are not interested in joining our party, so we move on.

0026Geneforge.jpg

Here KC is stopped by locked door. Every lock has a set difficulty and requires a set number of living tools to open, the amount of which can be lowered by mechanics skill. Since we don't have any living tools at the moment and KC's mechanics skill is rubbish, we'll just have to come back here later.

kingcomrade.jpg
Whatever, there's probably just some tutorial shit inside.

0027Geneforge.jpg

And that's the end of the area

kingcomrade.jpg
Kinda creepy. What's wrong with the colours?

0028Geneforge.jpg

The main map. Right now we can only move north to Abandoned Vale... and the second part of the tutorial.

kingcomrade.jpg
Goddamnit

0029Geneforge.jpg

Notice the green and blue pool? They regenerate health and mana. Useful!

jeffface.jpg
You immediately recognize this large building for what it is. This was a shaping hall. You knew that there must be one of them on this island somewhere. Here, the Shapers on this island did their work, using magic and force of will to make creations - both established and experimental designs. If there was a cataclysm, though, it didn't take place here. This building is undamaged.

jeffface.jpg
To the side, you can see energizing pools. Holes in the ceiling allow light to shine on them. Remarkably, despite their years of neglect, they have survived. The goo inside a pool is a semi-living, plant-like form, capable of drawing energy from the air and the sun. If you stand near a pool, you will be able to replenish your health or essence, depending on which pool you use.

kingcomrade.jpg
Yawn.

jeffface.jpg
In the corners of the hall, you can see two glowing glass canisters. They wait there, ready to give you power.

kingcomrade.jpg
MINE! GIMME!

0033Geneforge.jpg

The canisters contain the Heal spell and, more importantly, the first shaping ability. KC goes outside to try it out

0034Geneforge.jpg

0035Geneforge.jpg

Here's the creation screen. Each creature costs some essence (mana), which is removed from your pool for as long as the creature is alive. The Fyora has a base cost of 8, so KC has enough mana for two. However, a creature without at least two points of intelligence cannot be controlled in battle.

0036Geneforge.jpg

I decided to spend extra essence and create a single, pimped out Fyora with a bonus to intelligence and dexterity. Once KC levels up, he'll get more essence to spend on creatures. For now, this will suffice.

0037Geneforge.jpg

0038Geneforge.jpg

For some reason, kingcomrade decides to summon the Fyora through the shaping powers of his behind.

kingcomrade.jpg
I used all my essence and the damned thing is not even here. Useless fu...

0039Geneforge.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
Oh, here you are. Let's go.

0040Geneforge.jpg

With his new slave companion at his back and tutorial messages still floating around, Kincomrade fearlessly enters the forest. Suddenly...

0042Geneforge.jpg

jeffface.jpg
There is a fyora standing on the path ahead. It's a very familiar sort of creation. Shapers have made them for centuries to serve as bodyguards, watchdogs, and even pets. You've been around hundreds of them. This one, however, is different from any fyora you have seen. It doesn't look at you as a master but... but... as food. You have heard tales of creations which have turned on their creators and gone rogue, but it almost never actually happens. If it ever did, the rogue creation would be instantly destroyed. This fyora has definitely shed any Shaper control. It bares its teeth at you, seemingly daring you to step forward.

kingcomrade.jpg
It is impossible to totally avoid combat in Geneforge.

0043Geneforge.jpg

Our fyora belches out a fireball, which stuns the enemy. Kingcomrade moves in for the kill...

0044Geneforge.jpg

And misses.

kingcomrade.jpg
Stand still, will you!

0045Geneforge.jpg

Second fireball finishes the job, but another rogue fyora is attracted by KC's sexy pink robe.

0050Geneforge.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
Taking hits!

0051Geneforge.jpg

Victory! Please note that rushing head-first at everything that moves is not the tactic we'll be using for the rest of the game - kc's combat skills are pretty rubbish, so most of the time he'll just be watching the battles from a safe distance. Still, it's only the tutorial.

kingcomrade.jpg
I'm not dying in the tutorial. I have my dignity.

0052Geneforge.jpg

This time KC actually managed to land a hit. We kill another fyora and steal its sandals.

0054Geneforge.jpg

In a warehose to the west KC finds and equips a thorn baton.

jeffface.jpg
Thorn batons are one of the Shapers' most ingenious creations. They are a mix of living and inert matter, plants with a touch of animal around a frame of metal, capable of firing a small sharp projectile at high velocity. When unused, they go into hibernation and can live for a long time. Most of the batons abandoned in this room have died, but one managed to survive.

0056Geneforge.jpg

The obelisk marks the entrance to the local customs office. Note the fyora lurking in the shadows at the top of the screen.

0058Geneforge.jpg

We find a pair of boots and a useless old logbook which crumbles at first touch.

kingcomrade.jpg
...again

Suddenly, our progress is stopped by closed door.

kingcomrade.jpg
...again

kingcomrade.jpg
Open up, dammit! Guess I'll just have to look for a lever.

0060Geneforge.jpg

Nearby, we run into Saint_Proverbius

jeffface.jpg
This was the quarantine waiting hall. People wishing to enter or leave Sucia Island through this port waited here to be questioned and inspected by the servant mind. And, sure enough, the mind is still here, resting to the north. You marvel at the skill of the Shapers who made these remarkable creatures. Their careful construction and ability to hibernate gave them remarkable lifespans. It is still alive. A servant mind is a very specialized and useful sort of creature. Once grown, it never moves again. It spends its entire life thinking, remembering, analyzing, and advising the Shapers. As you approach, you can see the creature struggle to rouse itself from its slumber. It seems likely that it is eager for company after its years here.

jeffface.jpg
You carefully approach the servant mind, unsure of how its time alone in these ruins has affected its faculties. Fortunately, its eyes are clear and bright, and its body appears whole. It has the massive skull characteristic of these stange creations

Servant_Mind.gif
Welcome, Shaper. I am mind Tavit. Do you wish to pass through quarantine?

kingcomrade.jpg
What happened to this island? Why was it Barred?

Servant_Mind.gif
I am sorry, Shaper. I am limited in the scope of my knowledge. When I was left here, I was given no further instructions.

kingcomrade.jpg
How long ago were you abandoned?

Servant_Mind.gif
I do not know. I have spent all of that time in hibernation. The decay in my internal organs indicates that the time was well over a century. I am sorry that I cannot be more precise.

kingcomrade.jpg
How long has it been since someone came trhough here?

Servant_Mind.gif
You are the first since I was abandoned.

kingcomrade.jpg
Why was Sucia Island abandoned?

Servant_Mind.gif
I do not know. I know a little of its purpose, but nothing of why I was left here for so long.

kingcomrade.jpg
What was the purpose of this island?

Servant_Mind.gif
Research. Not the most useful answer you could have hoped for.

We learn little, but the servant mind unlocks the northern door. Outside, we are approached by another strange creature...

0073Geneforge.jpg

jeffface.jpg
On this side of the quarantine hall, you can see another flock of ornks. This group, however, is not alone. It is watched over by a servile. Serviles are one of the greatest Shaper creations. They are the most common and valued servants of your people, intelligent, hardy, obedient, and featuring hands with opposable thumbs. They are also easily controlled. If there are serviles here, this isle must be nowhere as savage and uncontrolled as you had feared. Serviles are weak and easily cowed creatures. If there were any real threat here, they would have been quickly wiped out. Your emergence from this hall is clearly the last thing this servile expected. he looks terrified at first, then curious. He leaves his flock behind to come and speak with you. He probably wants fresh orders.

jeffface.jpg
The servile moves very close to you and inspects you carefully. It seems to be the same design of creation with which you're completely familiar. Same hunched posture, number of limbs, and so on.

kingcomrade.jpg
And a Jewish nose.

jeffface.jpg
It looks very surprised to see you. However, it doesn't have the attitude of immediate obedience you have come to expect. It seems more curious than anything. After a few awkward seconds of staring, it speaks

servile.gif
I don't think I'm mad. It's a Shaper! A Shaper has come at last! Oh, it has been years, years since anyone has come through that door. A Shaper has come! This is so wonderful!

servile.gif
Oh, but where are my manners. I am Timo. I am a shepherd. I graze my ornks here because nobody comes here. Oh. I must go to Vakkiri. I must tell the people there that a Shaper has come at last!

kingcomrade.jpg
Tell me about Vakkiri

servile.gif
It is our humble village. He points east. It is that way, not far, not far; I should tell them a Shaper has come at last. It is humble and small, but with no Shapers around we did what we could.

kingcomrade.jpg
There are no other Shapers here?

servile.gif
Timo looks even more nervous now. I... I do not... No. You are the only one. You are the Shaper. You have returned, and we... we can serve. He seemed somewhat reticent about saying that last word

At this point we're given a choice.

kingcomrade.jpg
1. That's right. You had better serve me, or you will be disciplined harshly.

kingcomrade.jpg
2. I do not require your total obedience. I only need to leave this island.

Naturally, we'll go with the first option. :smug:

servile.gif
Before, Timo looked nervous. Now he looks openly terrified. Of course. He says, meekly. Of course we will serve. The might of the Shapers must always be obeyed.

kingcomrade.jpg
I have been stranded on this island. How can I get off of it?

servile.gif
He looks worried. He clearly has no idea. Oh. I... I... I am a humble villager. I do not know how to leave. But in Vakkiri, there are old and wise people. They can help you.

kingcomrade.jpg
This is odd. Timo is referring to his fellow serviles as "people". Creations are called creations, not people.

END OF PART 1

And at this point it is up to the Codex to determine the course of action. How should KC approach the serviles? Should he ask for assistance or demand servitude? Treat them like people they believe to be, or like creations they are? Think of possible consequences and...

DISCUSS!!

Also, I just found out that you can name your creations so I'm now accepting volunteers to die a quick and pointless death in the service of the Shapers. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This is shaping up to be good.

(HURRRRRRR)

Carry on good sir.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It would be better if you showed screens of the dialogue so we could see the choices (or lack of).

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you did.

Cassidy

Arcane
Finally a LP of a real CRPG that is interesting enough for me. There wasn't one since PtD.

lightbane

Arcane
I wanted to play this game, but shortly after finishing character creation the game freezes. Good lp by the way.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Good choice of game, good LP.

As for the options, I say Shepard all the way: demand the servitude due to you, in the name of the Codex.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Brother None said:
Good choice of game, good LP.

As for the options, I say Shepard all the way: demand the servitude due to you, in the name of the Codex.

ElectricOtter

Awesome, nice to see someone doing a LP of this. Sign me up for Thahd meat shield service!

Also, is the 'Dex gonna get to vote on most of the choices? If so, I say go with the Takers and use the Geneforge. Sanity is overrated, all we need is POWAR :rpgcodex:

Vitriol

Educated
Update later today. I'm fiddling with the images to reduce file size without losing quality. Due to popular demand our hero will act like a true codexian smug bastard whenever possible.

catfood

AGAIN
Vitriol said:
Also, I just found out that you can name your creations so I'm now accepting volunteers to die a quick and pointless death in the service of the Shapers. :salute:

You know you want a creation with the name catfood.

The game's setting had me hooked through the whole playthrough. I played as a guardian and halfway through I wished I had picked a shaper or an agent. Whacking shit left and right gets stale after a while. Your LP might inspire me to fire the game up again.

Vitriol

Educated
We arrive at Vakkiri.

0087.jpg

jeffface.jpg
You meet, for the first time, a colony of serviles on Sucia Island. There is a good deal of astonishment on both sides. the creatures seem to have done well on their own, much beter than you would have suspected. They have moved into the Shaper ruins and made them their own. They have crops, shops, and guard patrols. The serviles, in turn, are speechless. They have clearly been without Shaper influence for many years, and they have no idea how to react. They look overjoyed, relieved, and terrified at the same time. Most of all, though, they look expectant. They watch you carefully, gauging your every move, wondering how you are going to treat them. The power of the Shapers has always completely overwhelmed that of their creations. You, however, don't have the full power of the Shapers. You are weak, tired, untrained, and alone. Fortunately, they don't seem to know that.

kingcomrade.jpg
How dare they defile Shaper territory with this mockery of a settlement? And some of them carry weapons! It's time somebody restored the right order of things on this wretched island.

0097.jpg

There's a named servile in the dining hall. You can press "tab" to display names on the main screen, pretty useful for finding NPC's among the rabble.

jeffface.jpg
This servile is as muscular as a thahd. She is a massive creature, all the more remarkable when you consider that serviles were not made for feats of strength. She notices how surprised you are by her physique.

servileguard.gif
I am Brodus. I am the Vakkiri Blade. I defend the serviles here from all threats. She put extra emphasis on the "all." If you mean us peace, I welcome you on behalf of myself and the Awakened.

kingcomrade.jpg
You defend against all threats? Even me?

servileguard.gif
I do not believe that you wish to threaten us. I am not some Taker, to believe that the Shapers are always evil. But be warned, if you threaten us, your powers will not dissuade us from acting against you.

Strong words, but she could probably snap KC in half if it came to fighting. Let's try a more diplomatic approach... for now.

kingcomrade.jpg
You are a Blade? What does that mean?

servileguard.gif
It means that I defend the serviles here from all threats. I am the leader of the guard and the first to fight. And, with all the threats we have faced recently, I am kept very busy.

kingcomrade.jpg
What sort of threats do you face?

servileguard.gif
There are rogue creations. They are all around. They appeared recently, mysteriously, and they plague us. Leader Khobar can tell you more about them, if you are interested. There are also the bandits. They are extra weight in a load too heavy to bear.

kingcomrade.jpg
I can help you with the struggles.

servileguard.gif
We hoped that, when you Shapers returned, you could help us. But do not think your help will make us willingly return yo servitude. There is a tribe of cunning rogue servile bandits to the north. They are strong fighters, and cunning. They raid us and take our food and weapons and wealth. They do not kil,, but they take our food. This, we do not need. End the raids. If you have to kill them all to do it, so much the better. I can't spare the casaulties, but you have the powers of a Shaper. You should be able to destroy them with no difficulties

Thus we receive our first quest.

kingcomrade.jpg
Not that I'm taking orders, I'll only do it to prove my superiority over these filthy creatures.

0104.jpg

In the next room we meet the village leader

jeffface.jpg
Unlike the others, this servile does not fear you. Or, if he does, he does not show it. He is clearly sizing you up, trying to figure out whether you are a help or a threat to the serviles under his care. He bows to you, a very short, sharp motion, all the time keeping his eyes on you. Finally, he says

servileguard.gif
Welcome to our home. I am Leader Khobar, proud Awakened and the chosen leader of the tribe of Vakkiri. It is a pleasure to have the Shapers among us again at last. You could not fail to notice the way Khobar emphasized the word Leader. Or the lack of enthusiasm he put into saying the last sentence.

kingcomrade.jpg
Tell me more of your village.

servileguard.gif
After the Shapers abandoned us, we serviles struggled for survival. Most were unable to live without your guidance. Some of us were selected by cruel nature to be allowed to survive. We have formed three villages, that I know of.

kingcomrade.jpg
What are the other two villages that you know of?

servileguard.gif
To the east there is Pentil. They are a feckless, servile lot. You will like them. Past Pentil is Kazg. You may wish to avoid them. They are very martial, and they have little love for Shapers. They hate you, and even more, they are terrified of you. A volatile combination

kingcomrade.jpg
You don't know of all the settlements on this island?

servileguard.gif
To the north is harsh wasteland, full of rogue clawbugs and vlish. There, we do not go. To the northeast are mountains, well proected by Shaper creations and traps. Beyond, we can not go. In those places, you might find anything.

kingcomrade.jpg
You said that you are Awakened. Tell me more about that.

servileguard.gif
All of us serviles have developed our own ways and beliefs to deal with the Shapers abandoning us. there are three sects: the Awakened, the Obeyers, and the Takers.

kingcomrade.jpg
Tell me of the Awakened

servileguard.gif
All in this village are of the Awakened sect. We have been Awakened from the dark sleep of Shaper mastery. Our eyes are open. We wish to deal with the Shapers as equals, with friendship and gratitude. But we will not be slaves to you any longer. Be wary. If you anger the Awakened, this town will no longer be open to you.

At this point we get to make a choice

0110.jpg

Things like that often come up in conversations, and even if they don't bring immediate consequences they gradually build up and start to affect the way in which the serviles approach you. The Codex hath spoken and so we go with the EXTREME choice, because it totally makes sense to piss off an entire village of disgruntled former slaves.

kingcomrade.jpg
I'm very amused by your aspirations, but I doubt we Shapers will be supportive. :smug:

servileguard.gif
Khobar is furious. You abandon us here to die, to suffer, to starve, and you dare condescend me? He pats the pommel of his sword. Hear me, Shaper. You made us. We owe much to you. But you Shapers, with all your might, all your power, all your wisdom, are not immune to steel. You will shred us. You will mow us down like wheat. But we will win.

We'll see about that. For now, let's try to learn more of the others.

kingcomrade.jpg
Tell me of the Obeyers

servileguard.gif
They are the ones who wish to follow. They are the ones who worship your kind as gods. You will find them to the east, as obedient and pliable as you could possibly wish. We are not fond of them.

kingcomrade.jpg
Tell me of the Takers

servileguard.gif
They are the mad ones, the Takers of Free. They have been warped by the cruelty of their time here. They were made by the Shapers, and now they wish to overthrow them. They wish to separate from the Shapers completely, and if the Shapers attempt to deal with them, they wish for combat. They are mad. We have no worship for the Shapers, but we do not hate them either. We wish to be equal, that is all.

kingcomrade.jpg
I was stranded here because a large ship destroyed my craft. Who might do such a thing?

servileguard.gif
I do not know. I can't believe that anyone would attack a Shaper in such an open and foolish way. Only a mad one would attract the wrath of the Shapers. In this, I wish I could help you. Such provocations can not be good for anyone. Not even the wild serviles of Kazg would do such a thing, I suspect. I do not think you will find the answer to that question here.

kingcomrade.jpg
I wish to leave this island. I require a boat. Where can I find one?

servileguard.gif
I would like to help you, Shaper. But we are a trading people, and we require your help as well. There are ways you can assist us. Sometime, you should speak with me of the dangers we face.

kingcomrade.jpg
What dangers do you face in your village?

servileguard.gif
Hunger. Cold. Rogue creations. All of the many perils you Shapers abandoned us to. He pauses for a moment. The he says, But you know something? We serviles are not as foolish as you think. We can plan, and we can trade. I can't help but notice that you are lacking supplies. If you would use some of your awesome Shaper power to aid us instead of crush us, I could provide you with useful goods. A fair trade. Does that appeal to you?

kingcomrade.jpg
I will trade with you. What do you want?

servileguard.gif
The main road to the east passes south of Watchhill. It is the road to the fortress of Ellrah, leader of the Awakened. And, recently, almost overnight, the area has become infested with rogues. We suspect that something or someone is creating them. There are too many there to be accounted for by random migration. go there and remove the source, and we will pay you.

Another quest. Nothing to complain about, good source of xp and money.

kingcomrade.jpg
I knew these bastards wouldn't help me for free. That nose was a dead giveaway.

0119.jpg

Outside we meet Sencia who tells us a bit about Ellhrah, the founder of the Awakened who lives in a fortress to the east. We'll definitely pay him a visit later on. We also get another quest, finding a Taker spy in the village.

0137.jpg

Following a time-honoured RPG tradition, we break into houses to steal random stuff. Items marked with NY (not yours) can only be taken without repercussions if no one sees you.

kingcomrade.jpg
Criminal scum!

0141.jpg

We unload the stolen goods at a local trader and buy a cheap chitin armour. He asks us to find out what happened to his trading partners from Pentil and Kazg.

0143.jpg

To the north lies an old shaping hall inhabited by the local sage.

jeffface.jpg
You meet a very old servile, one of the oldest you've ever seen. They are made to live for a very long time, and this one is definitely trying to set a record. She is stooped and withered. She must be well over a hundred. When she sees you, she has to exert a great effort to keep from breaking down. She is clearly overwhelmed with emotion. She stares up at you with awe, as if her god has stepped down to earth to face her. Maybe it has. With a trembling voice, she says,

servile.gif
Welcome Shaper. I am Learned Pinner. Welcome to my home. Welcome back, at last.

kingcomrade.jpg
Why is Sucia Island barred? Why was it abandoned?

servile.gif
We do not know. Your kind left two centuries ago. They left behind us serviles. They did not tell us why they left. I have an idea, though, of where you might get a clue of why the isle was abandoned. To the north of here, there is a large ruin. I think it was once a school, where your kind learned their arts. Such a place would have had a servant mind, and that mind might have been told more of why Sucia was abandoned. Go there and see if you can learn anything from the servant mind. Be careful, though. There are rogue creations in there. If there weren't, I could have gone and looked myself.

kingcomrade.jpg
Why is everyone so in awe of me?

Derp :retarded:

servile.gif
She seems confused. You are one of our creators. You made us serviles, and you can make us disappear. All we have and are, we owe to you. Your disappearance has been difficult for us, and not all of us knwo how we should treat you.

kingcomrade.jpg
Well, now that I am here, I expect to be obeyed.

servile.gif
She doesn't look surprised. She does, however, look sad. In our years of living on our own, some of us have developed the desire for independence. That is something you will have to deal with before long.

kingcomrade.jpg
I have found some very strange artifacts on this island. Do you know anything about them?

servile.gif
I think you mean the canisters? The large glass cylinders with the glowing matter inside? I have some of the fragments of them in a back room. They were created by the Shapers here before they left.

kingcomrade.jpg
What are they for? I have never seen one before.

servile.gif
We know that the Shapes made them here on this island. We serviles do not use them. To do so kills us instantly. We tend to fear your Shaper creations. We don't do anything with them.

kingcomrade.jpg
I have used one. It changed me. It made me more powerful. Are they dangerous?

servile.gif
I do not know. I see nothing unusual about you. If you use more of them, I can look at you and see if I see a change.

0155.jpg

Ham's Apothecary gives KC another opportunity to act like a smug bastard.

kingcomrade.jpg
You know how to make potions? How?

servile.gif
Well, I am glad you asked. When you Shapers left, you left behind many things. This was long ago. We have had many years to study your writings and artifacts. We had no choice. It was a matter of survival, after all.

kingcomrade.jpg
Well, you should not have done so. Our secrets are not for you.

servile.gif
Ham looks somewhat upset by this, but he tries to hide it. You are the Shaper, after all. I am sorry. I will... I will try to do... something else.

Ham also has a box that he can't open. Neither can we. We'll come back later with more living tools.

0160.jpg

Dreet is a fat dirty Jew servile, who wants to sell a canister for 300 gold

kingcomrade.jpg
I am a Shaper. You want to barter with me? I demand that you open the door, or else.

servile.gif
Shaper, I am Awakened. I will not be your slave. Attack me if you want, but I will not submit to threats. Get out of my house, and only return when you will treat me with respect.

Bah.

kingcomrade.jpg
You do not wish to serve. Why are you still called serviles?

servile.gif
It was a difficult decision. It is our name. We did not know whether we should keep it. Finally, we did. It reminds us of who we are and where we came from. But on this isle? We will not be servants again.

0168.jpg

On our way out, we make a brief stop to traumatize another servile.

servile.gif
Hello. I am Strout.

kingcomrade.jpg
What do you do in this village?

servile.gif
I raise ornks.

kingcomrade.jpg
Why are you so nervous?

servile.gif
You... you... you are Shaper. We are all afraid. We are afraid of how you will control us. Some show it less. But we are all afraid. She closes he mouth tightly. She didn't mean to say that much.

kingcomrade.jpg
We will need to control you. You are serviles. You were made to obey.

servile.gif
She doesn't say anything. She just looks down at the ground sadly.

kingcomrade.jpg
That's all for now. Thanks. :smug:

0179.jpg

Enough talking. Out we go.

kingcomrade.jpg
Rape! Pillage! Burn!

0181.jpg

Right outside the village we are ambushed by a pack of thahds. They are stronger than fyoras, but can only attack in melee.

0192.jpg

KC levels up, increasing leadership and intelligence.

0193.jpg

Having more essence available, we dispose of the old fyora.

0195.jpg

And create a new pair, effectively doubling our firepower.

0196.jpg

All hail the army of Codexia! :incline:

0198.jpg

We burn through the rogue thadhs and reach the fort.

jeffface.jpg
You are at the entrance to an old Shaper watchpost. It is a burrow under a large hill. From the top, Guardians and Agaents kept watch over the surrounding lands, looking for rogues and other sources of trouble. The guards lived in the warrens under the hill. It is a common arrangement. However, these caverns have been taken over by savage rogues. A cacophony of their growls and grunts echoes out of the tunnels.

0204.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
CANISTER! WHOO!

KC can now create his own thadhs. We'll stick to the fyoras for now, their ranged attack is a big advantage. Notice that Derp got badly hurt along the way, meaning that he's likely to panic and run away from combat. I have no essence to heal him and there are no healing pools nearby, so we take a short trip to the village.

0212.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
Just a thahd and a fyora, nothing to worry ab...

0213.jpg

:rage:

KC evaporates in a pool of blood as his belongings scatter around.

death.jpg

Remember how I said that putting KC in the front line is a shitty idea? We'll stick to that now.

0217.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
What in the name of...?

jeffface.jpg
You can see two things of great interest in the chamber ahead. First, there is a pool of essence. However, it doesn't look right. It is dark, and viscious, and it puts off an unpleasant vinegar smell. It's not anything you could use. It's very strange stuff, and not made by Shapers. Second, there is a creature there rooted to the floor like a huge plant. It's a horrible, slimy beast, with three large tentacle-like tubes sticking out of one of them. If this horrible thing is a Shaper creation, you've never heard of it before. As you watch in horror, it absorbs some of the gray essence and begins to create another creature. The mystery of where all of the rogues came from has been solved.

kingcomrade.jpg
...yeah, thanks Jeff.

0218.jpg

The spawner creates a new thahd or fyora every few turns. Fortunately, we have just enough firepower to control the situation.

0224.jpg

kingcomrade.jpg
Die!

0226.jpg

And that's that. We clean the rest of the area...

0228.jpg

...find the entrance to Ellhrah's fort guarded by two bored serviles...

0232.jpg

...and meet a rather unpleasant servile hermit.

0237.jpg

Reward time!

servileguard.gif
You have done well. You have assisted us. And, as equals, we wiill pay you in kind for your trouble. Khobar hands you a pouch. You look inside. It is filled with tiny, well-worn gold coins, all centuries old. What could have created that thing you found? It is odd. Strange events are happening on sucia, and we know nothing of what they are or how to deal with them. I hope you can understand these events, because we can't.

He also gives us a scroll to deliver to Ellhrah.

kingcomrade.jpg
I'm their lord, master and saviour and they send me on a fetch quest? Preposterous.

END OF PART 2

As you see, there are three servile sects to choose from. Shall we:

1. Renounce our EXTREME ways and aid the Awakened in their struggle for justice.
2. Betray the Shapers and try to join the Takers in their quest for power and vengeance.
3. Stick to the current principles and help the loyal Obeyers reinstate Shaper dominance over their creations.
4. kingcomrade (none of the above)

So far we've only made pro-shaper choices, making the Obeyers our natural allies. Still, I thinks it's not too late to chance allegiance should the Codex decide so.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Based on what you just showed, it looks like there is only one choice in all that dialogue you just showed.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Try to maneuver between all three factions for extra smugness.
Use Geneforge in the end. This is EXTREME ultimate.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You know the Codex is going to be for EXTREME, Vitriol. Tho I get the feeling it is not your personal favourite choice.

2 is enticing too. It might be more EXTREME than 3. Discuss.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Dicksmoker said:
Based on what you just showed, it looks like there is only one choice in all that dialogue you just showed.
No really, I'm starting to get worried here.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
No really, I'm starting to get worried here.

Worried about what? Jeff Vogel's dialogue system is simple question-and-answer stuff with quests given stuck in. Choices are few but meaningful, which is preferable to bountiful and meaningless.

What exactly are you worried about, Dickey?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom