Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's walk the streets of Silent Hill (Complete !)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see some of the images you must do this : LINK

Let's walk the misty streets of Silent Hill.

fmns6a.jpg

:x Playstation ?!
:mca: Suck it up codex.

Silent Hill is my all time favorite Survival-Horror-Adventure game and it's a shame not many people have played it since it was one of the early PSX games that never got a port or a remake. I also consider SH1 even better than the highly acclaimed --and rightly so-- SH2. You can run it on an emulator, but some people have trouble doing that too, and generally few people will try to play an old psx game. So, in a move that no doubt caught you all by surprise... I decided to do a "Let's Play".

:smug:

The first time I played this game --many years ago-- I was really disturbed by the atmosphere and visuals. SH is probabnly the only game that has had this effect on me, and believe me I've played many games of the genre. The game doesn't rely on cheap scares with monsters popping out suddenly, it's mainly psychological horror combined with disturbing imagery and music. For this reason you should do yourselves a favor and play the game because a LP can't convey the full spectrum of the experience, since the game relies a lot on atmosphere and sound. On the other hand if you're lazy and LP-holics you have my permission to just follow this LP.

walld.jpg

The man behind the music and sounds of Silent Hill is Akira Yamaoka, and in my opinion he's the best of his kind. His work in all SH games is exceptional and he has written some of the most beautiful and haunting pieces in soundtrack history. Some of the latter SH games have a reason of existence only because he wrote the music. Check here, to get a feel of what I'm talking about.

Some may be turned off by the strange camera angles and the controls, but let me tell you that eventually this works in favor of the game. The camera takes strange angles that may confuse you sometimes, *but* it can be controlled and it can be used as an OTS camera most of the time. The angles sometimes confine your view but they are carefully calculated in order to create tension. As for the controls, you get used to them after a while. Melee combat isn't easy, but it shouldn't be, you're fighting rabid monsters with a fucking steel pipe, after all. Anyway, this game isn't about reflexes as it doesn't throw fast enemies on you and combat can be avoided 80% of the time.

This concludes the introduction, let's move on to the damn LP.

2njezat.jpg

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
NIGHTMARES:

axmt8h.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

2wmnfig.jpg

(= If you -or your little sister- have a heart attack, it's not Konami's fault.)

Watch the intro. Please.

Code:
Chapter I :

.oPYo.              8                             
 8    8              8                             
o8YooP' oPYo. .oPYo. 8 .oPYo. .oPYo. o    o .oPYo. 
 8      8  `' 8    8 8 8    8 8    8 8    8 8oooo8 
 8      8     8    8 8 8    8 8    8 8    8 8.     
 8      8     `YooP' 8 `YooP' `YooP8 `YooP' `Yooo' 
:..:::::..:::::.....:..:.....::....8 :.....::.....:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ooP'.::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...::::::::::::::::

Silent Hill is a rural town located in northeast America. The town is known as a scenic resort area, but lately it has slipped into quiet desolation, as its peak of development and growth has passed by. The memories of a tragic fire 7 years ago still haunt the townsfolk, and with the tourist season long past, there is hardly a shadow stirring.

3517aww.jpg

Harry Mason prefers to take late vacations with his daughter Cheryl. This year they've made plans to visit Silent Hill, but due to car trouble they reach the outskirts of the town late at night...

14to32g.jpg

2ltg09s.jpg

Cheryl is sleeping in her seat as a motorcycle cop roars past their jeep.

2ce5jzp.jpg

zm0ah0.jpg

s5bkf8.jpg

Moments later Harry spots the motorcycle discarded on the side of the road. What the hell happened here ?

2la98xs.jpg

33m4oww.jpg

When suddenly-

2nhlwrq.jpg

29kw800.jpg

fyn79u.jpg

33bfmm0.jpg

14o7y3s.jpg

bdo4g1.jpg

rjm8hg.jpg

f43607.jpg

EPSXE2010-10-1101-15-22-45.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is Stark condemned to eternal vampiric servitude?

spekkio

Arcane
I knew the OP the moment I saw thread's title... :)
Good luck with LP-ing a horror game. The best eva horror game...

:smug:

One question from resident graphicwhore: software or accelerated?

:rpgcodex:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I can already sense the combined forces of :incline: accumulating in this LP.

lightbane

Arcane
There wasn't a port for this game...

Actually there is, I don't remember where I got that but you can find a "special" version for the pc that's the game already patched with the emulator, you just need to configure the controls and done. :smug:

A shame that the Dark Earth lp was abandoned though...[/quote]

spekkio

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Customly edited shader by moi, I may add, to improve the usual washed out PSX colors and give better saturation and shades of black.
You mean it has...

MOAR BLOOM?

:M

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

The Picture of a girl...

apd05j.jpg

A couple holding a baby... Harry and his wife ?

28jwkkn.jpg

k9gzr.jpg

w1xta8.jpg

The figure of a girl walking in the mist...

142x4bl.jpg

A beautiful ass.

xoiopf.jpg

A nurse having a fight with someone...

9s6su0.jpg

A veiled woman running in some kind of temple...

r85tav.jpg

An ominous house...

2i0ezon.jpg

Is it a dream, a lie -if it don't come true- or is it something worse ?

anlsvt.jpg

112bn7c.jpg

Code:
Chapter II :

o                 o         .oo   ooo.                                 .oPYo. 
  8                 8        .P 8   8  `8.                               ``  `8 
  8 o    o .oPYo.  o8P      .P  8   8   `8 oPYo. .oPYo. .oPYo. ooYoYo.      .oP 
  8 8    8 Yb..     8      oPooo8   8    8 8  `' 8oooo8 .oooo8 8' 8  8     dP   
  8 8    8   'Yb.   8     .P    8   8   .P 8     8.     8    8 8  8  8          
oP' `YooP' `YooP'   8    .P     8   8ooo'  8     `Yooo' `YooP8 8  8  8     88   
...::.....::.....:::..:::..:::::..::.....::..:::::.....::.....:..:..:..::::...::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cheryl... where's Cheryl ?

2ijg6lv.jpg

1zqrk78.jpg

Gone.

2nls3rs.jpg

2s80j9c.jpg

We must find her.

2v3srhh.jpg

199vg7.jpg

259e9th.jpg

30rtk7m.png
It's quiet. Too quiet. This place is like a ghost town.

The whole place is covered by a heavy mist and it's snowing. Is this really Silent Hill ? It looks deserted.

anj66q.jpg

We hear something in the distance.

ipyxs1.jpg

3020z06.jpg

Cheryl ?

316u5np.jpg

5zp0yd.jpg

mhr9f9.jpg

65anw5.jpg

She runs off into the fog.

30rtk7m.png
Hey wait... Stop !

34gobk6.jpg

2rxjk48.jpg

She must have gone through these doors...

qowvpg.jpg

Yikes !

sboqyx.jpg

We better find her quickly.

2q8y3wz.jpg

nwhfs9.jpg

Hey, what's going on here ?

6yfb7c.jpg

2gumrkk.jpg

Thankfully, Harry has a lighter with him.

rhvbdj.jpg

2qsctx4.jpg

k97bd.jpg

No time for pondering about such things, we must move on.

10fxo9l.jpg

It seeems we'll have to follow the trail of blood.

2mgtxmr.jpg

20pi4i.jpg

What the Hell ?

s2ee8i.jpg

300xx5l.jpg

ci7ae.jpg

As Harry tires to cope with what he's seeing, he hears sounds coming from behind him...

eas38z.jpg

FUCK !!

28jv43q.jpg

We must get away from these little homicidal bastards. NOW.

30rtk7m.png
What the hell are YOU ?! Let me GO !

8xmwpe.jpg

2zg5bmx.jpg

Oh God, NO !

28a2vit.jpg

11lqx00.jpg

Harry is slowly dragged down and stabbed by the small, nasty creatures.

2j1kkle.jpg

2ak9s9u.jpg

Another dream ?

2lxh8bo.jpg

Huh ? we're not alone.

30m1nk3.jpg

('sup stranger ?)

2le34n.jpg

2rvyj5j.png
How do you feel ?

30rtk7m.png
Like I've been run over by a truck, but I'm all right, I guess.

2rvyj5j.png
Glad to hear it.

2j1ndjt.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Wait a second. I'm just a tourist. I came here for a vacation. I just got here... I don't know what happened. I'd like to find out myself.

2rvyj5j.png
Uh-huh ?

30rtk7m.png
Have you seen a little girl ? Just turned seven last month. Short, black hair... My daughter.

2rvyj5j.png
...Sorry.

21kiera.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Where is everybody ?

2rvyj5j.png
I'd tell you if I knew, believe me. But, from what I can tell, something bizarre is going on. That's all I know.

30rtk7m.png
Hmmm...

2rvyj5j.png
What's you name ?

30rtk7m.png
Harry. Harry Mason.

2rvyj5j.png
Cybil Bennett. I'm a police officer from Brahms, the next town over. The phones are all dead, and the radio too. I'm going back to call in some reinforcements.

30rtk7m.png
Hmph.

8vta4p.jpg

2rvyj5j.png
Hold it ! Where do you think you're going ?

30rtk7m.png
My daughter... I've got to find her !

2rvyj5j.png
No way ! It's dangerous out there.

30rtk7m.png
In that case, I need to find her now ! Cheryl's my little girl.

2rvyj5j.png
Have you got a gun ?

30rtk7m.png
...No

2wp7xxg.jpg

Well, thank you, officer ! :smug:

2rvyj5j.png
Now listen to me. Before you pull the trigger, know who you're shooting. And don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

30rtk7m.png
Uh-huh.

2rvyj5j.png
And don't go blasting me by mistake. Got it ?

30rtk7m.png
Yeah. Thanks.

2rvyj5j.png
You'd do best to stay nearby. I'll be back with help as quick as I can.

Cybil leaves and we're left alone in the diner. Let's look around.

b5qmu9.jpg

There's a health drink, a flashlight and a map on the counter.

nd6dsi.jpg

We'll take them all. The flashlight will prove very useful. The map too.

34dhetf.jpg

We also find a notepad here.

sc592w.jpg

It's our save point. (Updated my journal)

vqm890.jpg

On the other side we find another health drink (cough syrup ?) and a Kitchen knife, our first melee weapon. Melee weapons are pretty hard to use and they're really effective only against certain creatures. We'll be playing in "Normal" difficulty so we won't have to use them that much, since we'll find a lot of ammo. On the other hand, if we played on "hard" we would be forced to use them much more, at least when running away isn't a viable option.

2d1plz7.jpg

What about the TV ?

30rtk7m.png
I can't turn it on. No power ?

On the table we spot a radio, but it doesn't seem to be working. No Radio, no TV, no phones. Completely cut-off.

2ihxrg3.jpg

Let's have a look at our inventory. Harry's picture on the laft indicates our current health and stamina. If we get hurt, the background will gradually turn red. Right now equipping a weapon seems like a good idea.

igi9ap.jpg

I think it's time to get out.

4j22h.jpg

:RADIO STATIC HISSING:

34gu7u9.jpg

30rtk7m.png
...The radio ? What's going on with that radio ?

The radio started hissing with radio static. Let's check it out.

bbx9g.jpg

:CRASH !:

Huh ?

2m44l7l.jpg

HOLY SHIT !!

24cb4sw.jpg

What. the fuck. is. that.

2zs2otw.jpg

The gun ! We have a gun, let's use it !

n6udxh.jpg

spc6l5.jpg

After a few shots the flying creature falls down and the radio stops hissing. What was this thing ?

o904yb.jpg

It seems that the radio emits static when monsters are near. We better take it with us.

v3d4de.jpg

The area is *definitely* not safe. We must find Cheryl as soon as possible. Let's get outside.

2e0u153.jpg

30rtk7m.png
I guess I'll check that alley again.

Yeah, that alley we saw Cheryl... was it really her?

bgr5w4.jpg

Ahh, the sweet smell of fog, snow, and your own piss in the morning...

27y0krm.jpg

Welcome to the beautiful town of Silent Hill.

n2bcqa.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
To be fair, Silent Hill's main characters are either quite clumsy or too much fucked up for their actions to make sense...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, Harry just followed his daughter into that alley, so the fact that there is a bloody trail should definitely make him follow it.

Radisshu

Prophet
HELL YEAH!!!

The spiritual sequel to Clocktower (and Alone in the Dark), kind of.

Drakron

Arcane
lightbane said:
To be fair, Silent Hill's main characters are either quite clumsy or too much fucked up for their actions to make sense...

Until Konami give it to the yanks that proceed to make then Airborn Rangers Marksmen.

In SH1-3 the controls were pretty annoying (still playable) but none of your characters did had any kind of training and it DID add to the atmosphere as the player learned combat not only did not wield any reward but also was a risky endeavor as ammunition was scarce.

Yeesh said:
Japan's never been huge on making sense, god bless it.

They could made very precise controls, hell they done so in several titles but combat seem to been the least of their concerns besides being playable and it was as I completed SH1-3.

Its not a fucking shooter, at least it was not ... it might became the god damn joke that Resident Evil turned out to be but neither the first Resident Evil games or Silent Hill were shooters.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Uh, don't remind me of that "Homecoming" borefest. Funny thing is that they really tried to capture the atmosphere of the first SH games, but they failed miserably. I'm hearing that Shattered Memories is kind of good, though.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
@ghostdog

Where's teh update :decline:

But seriously Ghostdog, how often are you going to make updates? I already can hardly wait for next one...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom