Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Castle Cleaners R Us - Let's Play Elvira!

Black Cat

Magister
elviratitle.png

Chapter the first; Another witch hunt? Really?
In which we get to read the introduction to the plot, which is about all the plot we will ever get, and then receive a quick tutorial on how to play Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Afterwards our heroine will play through the prologue and get her meat puppet killed so we can delight in the bloody carnage.

Released in 1990, Elvira, Mistress of the Dark was Horrorsoft's second game, as far as I know, and the first in their awesome trilogy of B-Horror inspired dungeon crawlers with kind of silly plots, a noticeable focus on the exploration and the adventure elements, and plenty of awfuly grotesque ways for our characters to die. Their previous game, Personal Nightmare, was kind of along the same lines but much more of a classical adventure with a tight time limit than a dungeon crawl.

Our meatpuppet in this game is a nameless castle cleaner, a kind of amateurish ghostbuster making a living on tending to paranormal phenomena in old castles and houses, contracted by the titular and kind of iconic silly B grade movie hostess to face the legions of hell that have invaded her old familiar castle to try and revive her evil witch of an ancestor and spread darkness over the entire world. As you may have already noticed you should be leaving the premises if you are from the storyfagotry bureau, for there's nothing here for you. At all. Not even a little bit.

If you aren't one of those, however, the game's pretty cool. You get to explore the castle and die many a bloody and painful death, to solve some inventory puzzles and duel many monsters while collecting magical reagents for Elvira and searching for the keys hidden around the place or protected by the most powerful monsters, trying not to work ourselves into a dead corner that would force us to restart and more. And there's also that underlying silliness to it all, creating that very same atmosphere of being inside a really cheesy and kind of genre savvy B-Movie that Waxworks had, and that the sequel to Mistress of the Dark, Jaws of Cerberus, takes to its natural, and most literal, extreme.

But then that's kind of obvious in a game series that shares roots, themes, and more, with this movie.

In any case, and as I always do, this first update is just for introductions, background information, and the like. This is kind of important with this game because, as was normal among games from the time, the only background we are going to ever get is printed on the manual, and the rest of the game will kind of assume you already know it much in the same way Waxworks assumed we knew the plot from the manual and went straight to the gameplay with just a small sumary at the begining, so we more or less didn't knew we had to save our Bro until we, like, did it, and stuff.

So, let's play read Elvira's manual! :P

KILLBRAGANT

England
September 21

Dear Diary,

That creepy portrait in the castle's front hallway should have tipped me off right away. I mean, I'm not used to running into people who look exactly like me - especially people who've been dead over 100 years. So my First Encounter with Lady Emelda of Killbragant was definitely of the Weird Kind.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised. According to the papers from the attorneys (Dybbuk, Doppelganger, Wraith, and Eldritch), the resemblance isn't just coincidence: it turns out Lady Emelda was also my Great-Great Grandmama Emelda. It also turns out that, with the demise of my evil Uncle Elmo, I now own this place - lock, stock, and dungeon.

In case someone wonders, a Dybbuk is a kind of evil spirit of Jewish and Qabalistic lore. When someone really sinful or wicked dies one of those things may be spawned, which are basicaly the spirit of the deceased after either escaping from hell, being rejected entrance to hell, or being kind of recruited by hell. A newly created, level one Dybbuk has only the power to slightly influence thoughts, emotions, ideas, etc. A powerful and ancient Dybbuk, meanwhile, is a very powerful form of errant influence and may be even able to, similarly to a demon, possess the living or even steal their bodies after kicking the previous tenant out.

They are, in a way, not very different to the Gaki, but while the Gaki are hungry spirits eternally lusting after some particular thing and influencing the living into pursuing such things to feed on their feeding on it, the Dybbuks are spirits lusting after a life and a body, and not caring who they screw along the way.

Apart from the striking family resemblance, I've got to admire Emelda's taste in clothes: she sure gets a lot of mileage out of that little black number she's barely wearing in her portrait. Too bad I can't say the same for this rockpile's decor: pretty dusty and musty, but nothing that can't be fixed with some neon lighting, a couple of Naugahyde couches, and a few movie posters alongside those strange paintings with the shifty eyeballs.

I'd like to turn this place into sort of a macabre bed-and-breakfast - the kind of place you visit if your idea of "bed" includes marble slabs, and "breakfast" is blood sausage and Killer Tomatoes. After all, there's a hedge maze in the garden, a kitchen that's better equipped than Dr. Frankenstein's lab, enough bedrooms upstairs to hold all of Them, and some great views of the northern English moors from the roof - so Killbragant should be a wicked place to entertain a few tourists when I get it cleaned up.

October 9

My redecorating project is coming along: we may even get the place open for the Halloween season. But these days life is getting stranger than "The head with two things"... Uh, I mean "The thing with two heads!"

Not even my jokes are that bad. I'm really impressed. :salute:

This afternoon, while crawling through a heap of legal papers big enough to hide Rodan, I found an old clipping from the local paper that may explain why the place has been deserted since the Bloody Mary days. They ran it as a Halloween gag, but it reads more like a late-night horror movie.

It seems that Great-Great Grandmama Emelda was married to this kinda boring dude. Sir Eric, who spent a lot of time on the road managing the family affairs in India. He left time with nobody but a few bats to keep her company - until this guy Lord Beremnd showed up one day, and started a little family affair of his own.

Beremond was some sort of evil wizard who had a readl way with women. He sure had a way with Grandmama, because she invited the creep to move in with her. They wrere a real fun couple: when they weren't upstairs doing nasty things to each other, they were downstairs doing nasty things to the terrorized locals ... or down in the catacombs conjuring even more nasty things from the Realms Beyond.

Apparently, Beremond thought he was Evil Incarnate, and everyone else was inclined to agree, mainly because he made the entire county worship him (kinda like some Hollywood producers I've known) on pain of violent death. Before long, the entire neighborhood looked like a permanent Night of the Living Dead.

So, anyway, Beremond and Emelda were the original gruesome twosome ... until the day Beremond was hit by a stray arrow during a hunting trip, which punched his one-way ticket to Goonland. Emelda took over the operation, with the help of some unearthly beasties, a handful of ghoulish Handmaidens, and an army of Palace Guards From Hell.

Of course, the next time Sir Elric checked in, he wasn't exactly thrilled. The crops were dead, the tenant farmers had been massacred, a gang of goblins was gyrating in his foyer, and his wife had obviously been getting beauty tips from the Bride of Frankenstein. Not that he was around long enough to gripe about it: shortly after he got home, Emelda seduced him, suckered him into a compromising position, and ran him through with the old family sword.

End of problem - except for Elric's little revenge, who was born nine months later and grew up to be my great grandpa. Understandably, the kid left home as soon as he was old enough to be allowed ouside alone after dark.

Emelda died many years later, (much to her own surprise: she was sure that Satan was going to make her immortal, which is a line that anyone who's done time in Hollywood would never fall for). Instead, she had to settle for resurrection sometime in the far-off future (a sort of diabolical don't-call-us-we'll-call-you). The directions for starting (and stopping) her resurrection are supposed to be somewhere here in the castle - part of "The Scroll of Spiritual Mastery" hidden in an old chest. The chest takes six keys to unlock. She gave the keys to her loyal flunkies, and told them that if they held onto them, they could come back with her the second time around - and this time, they'd rule the world.

The neighbors believe that her gang of ghosts and ghouls still haunt this place. In fact, the vicar and some of the town honchos took me to tea this afternoon - nice folks, though a little eccentric - and were emphatic that the place will need "a thorough cleaning out" before it's safe to inhabit.

I don't think they mean mopping down the staircase with Mr. Clean.

Do I believe them? I'm not sure - the story's weird, but I'm in show business, and I've heard weirder. I'm definitely putting it in the castle's tourist brochure, though: it's bound to attract the right kind of people. And as far as my own safety is concerned, it seems stupid to rent a hotel room in town when I've got my own castle to stay in.

I'd write more, but it's getting dark out, and there's a lot to get done around here. Also, I think I hear someone walking around downstairs, so I'm gonna go check it out. Later -

Halloween Eve

That little fable about Grandmama Emelda was a cute story - but not that cute. When I decided to open the place up for "Elvira's Horror Weekends," I hoped the place would be full from basement to battlements by Halloween. It is - but this isn't quite the kind of company I had in mind.

For one thing, these guests aren't paying.

For another, they're not even alive.

None of this, of course, has stopped them from taking over the place, like they owned it or something.

It started out a few weeks back, when a few odd monks started wandering around downstairs in the middle of the night. I enjoy meeting men of the cloth, and figured I'd be friendly with them, until I realized that there was nothing under the cloth. I'm talking incorporeal. (And I don't know what incorporeal means!)

The monks turned out to be the advance men for a growing army of creepy critters - gremlins who like to play hide-and-seek in the hedge maze, soldiers guarding the bedrooms, skeletons doing Grateful Dead impersonations in the catacombs downstairs - and busloads of more beasties arriving every day.

Worst of all (at least of all the ones I know about) is the incorporeal corporal who's manning the gatehouse out front 24 hours a day ... sort of Gomer Pyle meets the Marquis de Sade. Because of him, I can't get out of here - and if I could, I wouldn't get back in alive. In fact, with all the traffic in the hallways. I'm sort of stuck in the kitchen with nothing but a few cookbooks to keep me company.

It's clear to me now that this little creature convention has been called in my honor. Seems that in the course of the restoration, I've also revived Emelda's memory - along with several hundred of her closest friends. The sordid little legend of Emelda the Evil is becoming more real every day. And if things continue, I may soon get to meet her face-to-fangs - not my idea of a warm family reunion.

I've got to shake down my houseguests until I find those six keys, get my hands on Emelda's chest, and find out how to put a stop to Grandmama's imminent return.

But I may not have to do it all alone. Help should be arriving any minute. The last time I ventured out of Killbragant, I picked up a copy of "Broomsticks Weekly" and got in touch with one of the freelance ghostbusters who advertise in the back pages. They agreed to come over today and give me an estimate. If they're smart enough to let themselves into the castle - and avoid the Freddy Krueger clone at the gatehouse - we have a slim chance of stopping Emelda's return, and reclaiming Killbragant (and maybe the whole world) for the living.

I just might be in business after all.

So that's all of our plot already taken care of, ladies and gentlemen. In order to stop Emelda the evil witch from returning and bringing hell to earth or whatever she's trying to do we need to find six keys and Emelda's own chest, and thus to the book containing the secrets of her return. From here on it's about how we get to do it, how her nasties try to stop us from doing so, and how the game abuses us as we advance.

This is the first thing we see upon arriving to Elvira's castle.

elvira001a.png

As you can see, it's quite similar to Waxworks' interface, if a bit rougher. Room shows us on the black square in the lower center of the screen the items we have already noticed, or left, in the room we are in. In the same window does Inventory list our inventory and Weapons our, uhm, weapons. Up and Down are obvious. The four arrows too. On the oposite side we have a list of all available verbs, the ones that can be applied to what we have clicked on, in this case our bag, lit. Below we have the options to pause, save, and load, and pause actually doubles as quit. The two eyes at the lower corners serve the purpose or indicating damage taken or done when out of the combat screen, mostly when using or suffering from magic, or when running away. The left eye is what they do to us, the right one what we do to them.

Then we have our stats. Strength governs how much damage we do in melee combat and how much we can carry before becoming encumbered. Resilience determines the amount of damage we can take or absorv. Dexterity is about having the initiative at the start of a fight and how fast we will regain it as the combat progresses. Skill is about how proficient and cool we are with our currently equiped weapon, and raises the more we use it. Life is, more or less, our HP. Experience I believe works more of a progress or completion indicator than the traditional way.

That's more or less it. Right now we only have a grey canvas bag with a shoulder strap, yay. The only interactive element on the first screen is the white sign next to the castle's entrance, and there we click.

elvira002a.png

We proceed to the, uhm, area between the outer gate and the inner gate of the castle. The gatehouse? The, uhm, airlock? In any case, there we are. Then we proceed through the door to the left, which happens to be the office of the captain of the guard. Oops.

elvira003a.png

elvira004a.png

elvira005a.png

"Guards!!!", he yells, "Take this low life to the dungeon and search him. He can rot down there with the other rats."

Yum, rats. :3

"You won't last long. One of Emelda's pets will make a meal out of you. Take him away."

elvira006a.png

elvira007a.png

elvira008a.png

elvira009a.png

"Follow me pinhead."

elvira010a.png

"You are lucky he didn't tie your weeny in a granny knot.

I suppose you'll have to do. I'm desperate. You must find and open a chest and use the contents to destroy Emelda.

Listen, I have made up some spells to help you and you can borrow this little knife."

During the game Elvira will make us any spell we need as long as we have collected the components ourselves. However, the formulas aren't listed in the game itself but on the manual, so it works kind of like a copy protection scheme. Also, we will need to recover Elvira's spellbook before we can count on her witcheries.

"Here they are."

elvira011a.png

"I can't make any more until you find my spell book, a strange looking guy in a sack took it off me."

A... what? :?

"Start down in the castle courtyard, it will be safer there."

There's nowhere safe on this bloody castle, believe me.

"Now get out of here, and do what you are being paid for. I will be in the kitchen if you find the book. Some hope. Why do I always get the Jerk!"

elvira012a.png

We now appear outside, in the courtyard. Behind us is the door to the dungeon we just escaped from. First things first, I use the dagger to make it my chosen weapon. Then I examine the spells to see what I have. The two potions are Fire Dagger and Fingerlight, and drinking them will give us a given amount of castings of the corresponding spell. The jelly like thingy is for healing.

Since we are with the spells, the spellbook is actually pretty funny in that it is written in the same kind of faux olde englishe many english speaking Wiccans, Neopagans, and other classes of Next Gen witches just love to write their grimoires spellbooks Books of Shadows, as well as the spells and rituals and prayers therein, so i can't help but smile while reading it.

Thorny Splinter

Required elementes: Firethorn & Nettles

Boyle four handfuls of nettles for ten minutes and strain off
the liquid, discarding the nettles. Add thorns from the
Firethorn bush and allow to brew for one hour. Bottle &
drink as soon as cool. Takes one and a half hours to prepare.

Drinking this potion will arm the drinkers with Fire Dagger
spelles.

Fingerlight

Required elementes: Earwigges, Deadly Knightshade and
Belladonna

Extract the juice from a saucepan full of Nightshade berries,
add five earwigges and one chopped belladonna leaf to the
juice and allow to stand for twenty minutes. Drain the liquid
into a bottle and drink immediately.

Preparation takes twenty five minutes. When drunk this
potion imbues the user with the ability to cast Fingerlight
spelles (lightning boltes).

And I don't remember which was the name of the one that gave you the Healing Jelly thingie so I will have to post that one later. In any case, the main, and maybe only, way to increase your stats other than experience and skill is to use potions that temporarily do so, with or without added side effects. It's a pretty cool system that adds extra complications to the experience, given spell ingredients are very limited on this game.

Before closing this introductory update, however, there are two more things that need to be done. The first is explaining the combat system, and for that I have already something in mind: I wander around the courtyard until I get my bearings and then go straight to the gatehouse, my small dagger in hand and ready for a duel that will shake the heavens! Along the way we notice we are now trapped here, because otherwise it wouldn't be fun at all.

elvira013a.png

elvira014a.png

elvira015a.png

elvira016a.png

elvira017a.png

The captain of Emelda's guards knows his time has come and, without further words, stands and prepares his sword. Then we see, for the first time, the combat interface, and we can use either the main window or the menu to the right to fight: Lunge is the same than clicking on the left half of the main view, and hack the same than doing so on the right half. The one who has the most initiative goes first, in this case us. Depending on how the round goes and how effective our attacks are we keep the initiative and go again or he obtains it and we must defend. In the later case the words will change into block and parry, and again they will be equivalent to clicking on the left or right, respectively, halves of the main view. To know which one to click you must learn to read the animations the enemy do when attacking: He will do one animation when you must block and he will do a diferent one when you must parry, both ending with the attack hiting you on the half of the main view that goes with that defensive maneuver.

Finally, the numbers below the two buttons indicate the damage we are doing the enemy, while the numbers above them indicates the damage we are receiving. I did not take many screenshots because I was actually trying to win and this battle is pretty difficult, but let's just say I was really rusty and it did not went as planned. :(

elvira018a.png

elvira019a.png

elvira020a.png

And that was the second thing we did need to do: The death screens! Now our Elvira experience is complete, and next time we meet we will actually begin exploring the castle and stuff. And whether I am good or bad at the combat is kind of a crapshot: Some days I devastate everything without even trying, some days everything kills me without giving me the least chance. So you'll get to see death screens a whole lot, I reckon.

That's it for today.

See you next time!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wondercat! :salute:

I honestly didn't expect you to jump to another LP right away.

Oh, and one question. Can you actually kill that fucker -- are you supposed to? -- and what happens if you do, what consequences does it bring? Is killing him optional? Or perhaps you must kill him to advance the plot? In other words: any "C&C"? :roll:

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the second; Revenge it's so totally very sweet, nya.
In which our heroine and her meat puppet explore the main building of the castle, along the way becoming much better equiped and recovering Elvira's spellbook. She will also kill some guards and many evil monks, note the location of many interesting things for later, and then decide to show who's the capt'n here.

So, let's now begin this proper. Again, I move around the courtyard towards the entrance to the castle, but instead of going into the gatehouse this time we'll turn around and enter the main building. After going up a short flight of stairs we come to a long corridor and even more stairs, but before doing anything we, again, turn completely around, to face the stairs we just came up.

elvira001b.png

elvira002b.png

elvira003b.png

elvira004b.png

What's this, I wonder? There's no way we can read such runes, I reckon, but there must be a way, somewhere, to do so. A spell, maybe? We flip through the spellbook pages until we find what we are looking for.

Alphabet Soup

Required elementes: Dandelyons, Elderberries & Rose petals

Crush a handful of Elderberries and save the extract. Steep
the petals frpm 1 rose in water for 1 hour. Cut the stem from
a dandelyonand allow the white sape tp drip into the
elderberrie extract. Remove rose petals from liquid & discard.
Add rose water to elderberrie and dandelyon, heate to 62
degrees and stir in dandelyon flowers. Turn heate off, allow
to stand for 20 minutes and strain into container.

Allow 90 minutes to prepare this potion. Essential before
understanding of Runes can be gained.

It may not be the Ars Notoria but it is good enough for this. After I write it down in my things thingies to do list we are ready to go, so we'll turn around again and, this time, proceed straight through the corridor. First we come across a door and a painting, maybe the one Elvira mentioned in her journal. The door I decide to explore later, for right now I'm looking for a very precise room. I advance a bit more, coming across a staircase and another door. This one I open, and I enter the castle's armory!

elvira005b.png

elvira006b.png

elvira007b.png

elvira008b.png

:decline: of my memory.

This is the bar, actually. There's not much to do here, since the Castle's is still a long way from opening and thus the equipment isn't really working yet. There's the music machine thingie and a bottle of Absinthe, so I know where to come if later I need either. Now, we leave, go retreat until we hit the painting, and enter this door instead. Or try to, at least, for then one of Emelda's guards comes out to face us!

elvira009b.png

elvira010b.png

elvira011b.png

I lost 8 life but managed to defeat him, yay. Now, yes, I enter the Castle's armory! And, as you can see on the corresponding screenshot, there are many useful things in there. Right now, however, I need only the long sword, the heavy shield, and the armor. I pick those, and then use both the sword and the shield so they become equiped, and the armor is equiped the moment we take it. This raises our Resilience to 67 but lowers our Dexterity to 72. Also, it seems the sword is pretty easy to use, given our base Skill with it is of 30.

I leave Elvira's dagger here. Also, as you may have seen in some of the previous screenshots, I'll carry all my magic on the bag so the main screen doesn't look so cluttered. We leave back for the corridor and this time go straight to its last tile, where two doors are to be found. We go left first, and must face against another guard before entering the room.

elvira012b.png

elvira013b.png

elvira014b.png

elvira015b.png

The room lacks anything of interest or use, meh. So we go back outside and try the other door. Another guard comes out the room to face us, and we notice this one has a diferently coloured tabbard, which indicates both a diferent skill level and a diferent rank. He's somewhat harder than the others, but not by much. After defeating him we advance into the room, which is the castle's chapel.

elvira016b.png

elvira017b.png

elvira018b.png

elvira019b.png

In the first screen there's nothing but a prayer book. Further in, at the altar, there's much more, however: A solid gold chalice, two solid gold candlesticks, and a big silver cross with an octogonal opening on it. After exploring this room we return to the corridor, and then return to the staircase in front of the door to the bar. We descend it, and come across our hostess herself.

elvira020b.png

As you can see, we can ask her to mix spells and potions for us, or at least we can once we find and return her spellbook. If we try it right now she will only tells us not to be stupid and to go back looking for the book, so instead we explore the kitchen and make note of anything that may be useful on it. Along with this first screen there are two more, one with nothing but a dumb waiter and, then, a despense. I can ask her to raise the dumb waiter, revealing a smallish secret passage. We do not enter it, yet.

elvira021b.png

elvira022b.png

elvira023b.png

elvira024b.png

Given Elvira's kind of a traditional hedge kitchen witch I guess many of those thingies will come useful for her magic, later on. For now, however, we return to the hall and then go to the entrance area, where, along the staircase leading outside and the staircase leading into the first floor, two doors await for us. The first one leads to the castle's library, and, alas, the spellbook's here! Say what you want about those evildoers, but they are surely tidy.

elvira025b.png

There's nothing more we can do here so we leave back to the hall and, then, to the last room on this floor, which is kind of a living room. There we find a diary marked with an E, which the game informs us says nothing of interest outside of a passing mention to a lost ring. Some other things are there, like some Monstera leaves and a stake, meaning soon we will be fighting a vampire. I make a mental note of all this and go back to the kitchen, to return Elvira's spellbook to her.

elvira026b.png

elvira027b.png

Which means we can, now, mix spells and potions. Instead of this, however, we leave back to the hall and then go straight to the next floor, which more or less is a square corridor with the doors to the many rooms in the outer wall and the door to the single bathroom in the inner one. The first room we enter already has a tenant.

elvira028b.png

So we leave very fast. The next room we try to enter, however, leads to a fight with one of those monks Elvira's journal mentioned. We kill him in one strike, yay, and enter a completely pink room, which has nothing of interest other than four crossbow bolts, two on the night table and two on the closet. We take them all and go back to the hall, then to the next room, where we kill another monk before being free to explore.

elvira029b.png

elvira030b.png

elvira031b.png

elvira032b.png

In the green room we find two more crossbow bolts. Then we move to the next room, and as we are about to enter a monk with a mace comes out to meet us! He's way better than his friends, but dies easily enough. As soon as he does, however, another monk comes out, this one with a sword. We kill him, and enter the light blue room, the entire contents of which amount to a bible on the night table.

elvira033b.png

elvira034b.png

Next in line is the bathroom. Two monks decide to try and stop us from entering, and I don't really want to try and imagine what where those two guys doing alone and in the bathroom. Whatever it was, well, it was their last. Once inside we do not find a whole lot of interest other than a crack in the wall, kind of mouse holeish. Inside there's a laudanum bottle. We make note of it and leave.

elvira035b.png

Next room, to enter which we also have to kill another monk, is unfinished and has nothing on it. The one after is locked, The next one has another monk dying a bloody dead, then we loot two more arrows bolts. The next one is also purged of monks, or monk, but there's nothing on it.

elvira036b.png

elvira037b.png

elvira038b.png

elvira039b.png

And with this finishes our foray into the main building's upper floor. We return to the main floor and go straight to the armory, but as we are about to enter a blue guard comes out to meet us. It seems things have gone serious! Blue ones are much better than the usual ones, I reckon.

elvira040b.png

elvira041b.png

elvira042b.png

elvira043b.png

He's not, however, good enough for me (hey, let me get full of myself the one time I manage to fight one of those creeps as intended! :P). We enter the armoury, leave the crossbow bolts here for when we need them, and be done with it. Then we return to the kitchen, ask Elvira to raise the dumb waiter for us, and try to enter the passage, but we aren't small enough to enter, so she goes inside instead. She returns shortly.

elvira045b.png

And it results it is too dark in there for she to find anything, so there is something more we will need to find before she can go in there and bring back whatever there is to get. Another spell, maybe? We check the spellbook and, indeed, there's a spell that seems to fit with this situation.

Glowing Pride

Required elementes: Thistle, Dandelyon & Flame flower

Remove the petals from one Flamed flower and press them to
remove the oil of which they contain. Take one Dandelyon and
split its stem. Allow the milky liquid contained therein to
drip into the previously extracted oil and mix thoroughly.
Pull the down from one Thistle and drop into the oil mixture
so that the down soaks up the mixture. Roll the down into a
ball. Thro' practice, tis possible to increase the oil yield from
each flower.

This should take fifteen minutes. Store the soaked down in
darkness. As soon as a prepared ball of down is removed from
complete darkness, it will begin to glow. The length of tyme
that each ball will glow for, is directly proportional to the
user's experience. If the user is twice as experienced the
second tyme that this magic is used then the light will last for
twice as long. Useful in those unexpected dark places when
there is no normal light available.

I'll add it to my things to do listy list. This would be a good place to end the update, I guess, but my honour has been damaged and there is something that must be done before saying 'til next time!

elvira046b.png

Now you know the exact number of your days, capt'n. The battle is long and tiring, sometimes I manage to block everything he throws at me and next time the initiative is his I don't manage to block anything at all. At first he parries all my attacks, but after managing to strike him thrice or so I got him in a situation where I managed to visit the death of a thousand cuts upon him, and he never again managed to block one of them.

elvira047b.png

* samisen riff *

The Kasha has come for you.

samuraineko.jpg

There isn't much in his office, though. Just a letter on the desk, the visitors' book, and a notice in the board next to the window. I pick the letter and read it, discovering it was from his mom, asking if he had liked the apple pie she sent... :cry:

Once I stop feeling crappy I pick the notice on the board. Aha!

elvira048b.png

elvira049b.png

A golden key! I take it and then place the notice back on the board. Now, there's a good place, indeed, to stop this update, for taking the key has left us with 10 Experience, meaning we have gone through about one tenth of the game or so, at least according to the manual. Ain't I great and all?

'till next time!

Now, to other thingies...

Crooked Bee said:
I honestly didn't expect you to jump to another LP right away.

It's summer, therefore I have no life at all but when life decides to come for a visit in my air conditioned hut-in-the-swamp. It's the season for Let's Play thingies and ten showers a day!

Crooked Bee said:
In other words: any "C&C"?

None at all. I mean, sure, you can kill him on skill alone or you can kill him doped to high heaven, and the later has the consequence you will have spent many components and thus will have less to work with if you find yourself in another tight spot, or you can finish the game with less than one hundred percent completion, but that only means you did not kill every single servant of darkness in the castle. Being a Dungeon Crawler most of the choices and consequences here are of a gameplay kind, no scripted events and such here. Though it is kind of funny that if your choices are really bad you better have a much earlier save, for otherwise the consequence is having to restart.

anus_pounder said:
More deaths! yay.

I was feeling guilty because there wasn't any death on this update, since the ones there where I left for later, so I went back for a bonus! I reloaded after I had just taken my sword, shield, and armor and then went straight to the upper floor, and then to the room where the monk armed with a mace is. And let me tell you: He's weak. Each two strikes I did lose 1 Life, I should have taken away the armor and the shield before the duel. BUt, in any case, here you are! One more death.

elvira050b.png

elvira051b.png

elvira052b.png

elvira053b.png

That looks pretty horrible, I have to say. Elvira is much more, say, visceral on the death screens than Waxworks was, I believe. It's kind of creepy, and there will be more soon.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
kenshinchibi.png

BC said:
Being a Dungeon Crawler most of the choices and consequences here are of a gameplay kind, no scripted events and such here.

Yup, I suspected as much. Thanks.

elvira004b.png

I'm playing Uukrul right now, and had a bit of déjà vu looking at that picture. :P

anus_pounder

Arcane
With the PC's face, Its understandable people would like to kill him.

Please continue. Also, why does every single guard look like a snarling demon instead of a human. The monks also look damn sinister.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I will read it and post my impressions soon. Its just so... overwhelming I guess.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crooked Bee said:
elvira004b.png

I'm playing Uukrul right now, and had a bit of déjà vu looking at that picture. :P

I've glimpsed a solution for academic curiosity.
Game reeks of unbelievable evil intent.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
I'm glad to find someone, who likes this game. How much you advanced into it?

@Black Cat
Carry on! I'm contemplating another run of first Elvira myself.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the third; Ain't he a bit old to qualify as baby meat?
In which our heroine explores the other buildings on the courtyard, plays with Emelda's puppy, and loots the castle's dungeons, where she will find both another key and many an... ingredient, I guess. Then she will help with the cooking, defeat Emelda's fat and evil cook, and do a bit of tiddying up.

Last update finished with our glorious defeat of the Captain of Elmera's Guard. This one, therefore, will begin with us leaving his office and going into the room just across from it, some kind of gift shop. There's nothing of use here, at least nothing I remember to be of use, so we leave back to the courtyard, with the intention of exploring the other buildings there, leaving, for now, the towers aside. First one we enter is the, uhm, let me get an online translator.

elvira001c.png

elvira002c.png

The stables, that's it! Also, I remember we are kind of weakened after the fight against the evil guy we just killed and thus get a portion of the jelly like thingie, recovering about 20 of our Life. And, when we finally try to enter the stables, a blue soldier comes out to face us, then dies horribly and we enter anyway. Inside there doesn't seem to be anything, other than a badly dressed guy. We save and approach him.

elvira003c.png

elvira004c.png

elvira005c.png

elvira006c.png

elvira007c.png

And that's why you must love us nice and cuddly cats instead of those evil canines, I say. We will have to return here later, however. We reload and leave, and keep going around the courtyard until we hit another building of interest, the blacksmith. And, again, as soon as we try to enter a guard comes out to face us. A red one, who dies. Then we enter, finding it to be a pretty usual, I guess, blacksmith thingie. There seems to be nothing of use here, but that's mostly because I failed my perception check and forgot to look into the box on the corner, where a crucible is. We will go back to it later.

elvira009c.png

elvira010c.png

Next in line is returning to the vile dungeons from where Elvira rescued us. This part of the game is pretty squick, too: We will have to explore the dungeon, which is mostly a big square corridor with doors on both walls leading to cells, while picking up all manner of nasty thingies like spiders, centipedes, etc. We get to it as fast as possible, so we can finish up sooner, but not before going to the gate leading into the garden, where we find another red guard and kill him just out of being a bitch.

elvira011c.png

elvira012c.png

The first room is one of those one tile airlocks with two doors, and in this one case they even close themselves behind you! We enter and go kind of counter clockwise widdershins, picking awful thingies like a spider webs from a wall and a bug from the cells until a new type of enemy assaults us, coming out from a cell that would have been the third one we would have entered.

elvira013c.png

elvira014c.png

elvira015c.png

elvira016c.png

He dies, uhm, again, I guess, easily enough, but there are many more from where he came: When entering cells we will find them, and at times when just walking around the corridor they will come out the cell to try and be mean to us. After a while we get to the middle tile of the second segment of corridor and open the inner door on it. As we try to enter, another skeleton comes out, but this one has a red tabard instead!

elvira017c.png

He is much harder than the other ones, but somehow I manage to kill defeat him just right. Later, for reasons you will soon see, I had to fight him again and it became apparent I was just being lucky instead of, like, awesomely skilled. In any case we enter the room he was protecting, discovering it to be another, uhm, airlock, this one connecting the square corridor with a room in the very hearth of the smallish dungeon. What lies there, I wonder?

elvira018c.png

It's teh kinky room, alright! There's not much to be done in here, though: Only a big bag of salt, a pair of tongs, and a loose iron ring on the floor. We begin by pulling the iron ring, revealing a skeleton... And another one of the keys! We pick both the item and the bones, for we will need them later, and then return to the room view. We try to take the tongs.

elvira020c.png

elvira021c.png

elvira022c.png

elvira023c.png

Jesus, thank you for that. Really. And I had kind of forgotten to save, so I reload to the begining of the area and do everything again, this time the skeleton with the red tabard giving me as much of a hard time as it was able to give someone with 67 Resilience. Then I remove the floor and take the skeleton, it's key, and the salt. Then we leave, for now, and keep exploring the dungeon: We pick more horrible thingies and we fight many more undeads, now with yellow tabards. After a while we return outside, having gone back to the entrance already.

elvira024c.png

And take the chance to review our glorious treasure! After looting the dungeon very throughoutly we have five beetles, five earwigs, nine spiders, five centipedes, and five spiderwebs. Yay! And mom used to tell me there was no future in Dungeon Crawling, ha! Also, deciding there's no way i'm carrying all this shit stuff with me I decide to go back to Elvira's kitchen and store, uhm, them in the larder. But as soon as we enter into the main building we, first, hear a scream and, then, see Elvira coming to us with great haste.

elvira025c.png

It seems we will have to purge her kitchen of whatever evil has claimed it before we will be able to leave the creepy crawlies there, so down into the kitchen we go. And we find, well, someone there. Someone fat, ugly, and totally not fashionable. She seems like a cook, actually, and as soon as we enter she notices us, drops what she's doing, and goes to get the cleaver on the, uhm, thingie just beyond the table. Then she comes for us and, naturally, we do nothing at all to stop her.

elvira026c.png

elvira027c.png

elvira028c.png

elvira029c.png

That one made me laugh, actually. It's kind of cute. We reload and, again, go into the kitchen. She drops, quite literally, what she's doing, gets up, takes the cleaver... And then we throw the bag of salt at her, defeating her in a quite not pleasant way, though if you read too much into it this is an interesting message for the generations to come, I guess, or something like that. In any case Elvira then returns to the kitchen, and we can store all our horrible little things into the pantry or whatever it is, yay.

elvira030c.png

elvira031c.png

elvira032c.png

elvira033c.png

Then I decide to do it just like on The Legacy. I claim the kitchen as my main base of operations, and then go all over the main building taking things that may be useful and storing them here for later use. This is also nice in that while enemies are in a limited amount there are many times a new enemy appears where one was already killed before, of an easier, or harder, subtype. As a matter of fact going into a given area, killing the enemy protecting it, leaving the room, going into another area, then returning to the previous area, in general, and the room, in particular, is something we will have to do later a lot given the armor takes up a lot of the load we can carry, so we can't really take heavy things with us. For example, remember that guy we killed before on the gate leading to the garden?

elvira034c.png

This one's in his place, now. And one or two more will appear, later, to take this one's place, but after that it will be clear, and no longer we will have to fight to go through here. Killing this one, however, raises our Experience to 20, so I guess this is a good time to stop this update. and next comes our first foray into the garden, some vampire hunting, and more, so stay tuned for some awesome falcon-on-eyes action, yay!

Jesus.

And now unto the quoting,

Fowyr said:
@Black Cat
Carry on! I'm contemplating another run of first Elvira myself.

Go for it,

then I'll have someone to whom ask for help if I keep forgetting things, without it counting as cheating!

Malakal said:
I will read it and post my impressions soon. Its just so... overwhelming I guess.

Overwhelming, Mal Mal? :?

Crooked Bee said:

I envy you, being still able to try your hand at Uukrul with hopes of actually finishing it! :P I lost those long ago, though I still jump into it every now and then out of sheer morbidity and masochism.

And I never thought I would say such a thing, but that image is the cutest thingie ever, regardless of being from that Rance game.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
How much you advanced into it?

Not far, really. Activated the Urmor sanctuary; backed up my party there. It's my first time playing this game -- I like it a lot thus far, even if I haven't yet figured many things out properly, I think. The manual helps a lot. I'm gonna play it at a turtle's pace, since I have my LP to uphold and update. I've actually been contemplating doing an LP of Uukrul after I'm done with 4 Heroes of Light, but I'm not sure if that game lends itself well to LPing -- as well as whether I'll be able to beat it at all. :P I'll try to. I don't like consulting walkthroughs or anything, so we'll see how far I get. :roll:

NINJA EDIT: You updated while I was typing my reply to Fowyr, BC. :P Will read the update now and then leave my comments here.

EDIT2:
Black Cat said:
I envy you, being still able to try your hand at Uukrul with hopes of actually finishing it! Razz I lost those long ago, though I still jump into it every now and then out of sheer morbidity and masochism.

Okay, no LP from me then. No hopes of finishing it given that even BC couldn't. :/

EDIT3: Finished reading the update. You are awesomely skilled. :salute:

kenshinchibi.png

That cook lady is ... impressive, to say the least. :roll:

Oh, and
BC said:
Nah, I didn't meant it like that. And in any case you aren't actually forced to finish a blind LP, given you don't know the game.
Thx. Maybe I will give it a try, but of course later. Can't handle many LPs at once -- got some real life shit to handle as well.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had wanted to play this game since seeing it in a game magazine in 1991, but no one had it, and I forgot about it before acquiring teh internets.

Definitely will be following. :thumbsup:

Black Cat

Magister
Crooked Bee said:
Okay, no LP from me then. No hopes of finishing it. :/

Nah, I didn't meant it like that. And in any case you aren't actually forced to finish a blind LP, given you don't know the game. It's good if you do, but no one will mind if you decide to leave, or take a rest to LP something else, if you don't know how to advance or the game just went all out on your butt, and more so if you already said you only got so far into the game before and are doing the Let's Play thingie more to show off a cool and hardcore game than to do a full walkthrough.

So if you play it and like it, consider doing it next time you are looking for a game to do. That game actually needs at least an introductory Let's Play, given it's downright criminal even in Codexia it's as obscure as it can get.

MicoSelva said:
Definitely will be following.

Glad of hearing that, I am. I hope you enjoy our little journey, for it's a really cool game.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like you going to raid a garden? Read description of Herbal Honey first ;)
Also if you steal hatchet from the kitchen before cook makes appearance, hatchet will be hanging on the hook again.
I fear to going into maze. Should hang outside some more.
Crooked Bee said:
Fowyr said:
How much you advanced into it?

Not far, really. Activated the Urmor sanctuary; backed up my party there. It's my first time playing this game -- I like it a lot thus far, even if I haven't yet figured many things out properly, I think. The manual helps a lot. I'm gonna play it at a turtle's pace, since I have my LP to uphold and update. I've actually been contemplating doing an LP of Uukrul after I'm done with 4 Heroes of Light, but I'm not sure if that game lends itself well to LPing -- as well as whether I'll be able to beat it at all. :P I'll try to. I don't like consulting walkthroughs or anything, so we'll see how far I get. :roll:
Urmor... Hm. Old Archive and Temple. First heart was found. Feel free to ask when you have questions, I'm finished DHoU somewhat recently and still remember some things. But it taken me 8 years to finish this game. :M

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ahh I love death screens. I'm off to play Elvira. Thanks for reminding me of this game, BC.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
Feel free to ask when you have questions, I'm finished DHoU somewhat recently and still remember some things.
Thanks!

Fowyr said:
But it taken me 8 years to finish this game. :M
:yikes:

Er, it seemed intuitive enough so far... I guess I'm in for a major surprise.
You're a true hero, Fowyr. :salute:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat, Ghostdog, if you will find maidenhair, inform me about its location. It is only reagent what I not found.

Crooked Bee said:
Fowyr said:
But it taken me 8 years to finish this game. :M
:yikes:
I played it with big breaks.
Crooked Bee said:
Er, it seemed intuitive enough so far... I guess I'm in for a major surprise.
When you reach Sanctuary Beyond Reason you will starting to learn what kind of game is it. Soon... And when you will find the third with dragon and it shatters remnants of your mind forever. *evil laughter*
Crooked Bee said:
Thank you.

Achilles

Arcane
I'm really glad to see Black Cat LPing a western game (and doing a great job so far). Keep it up!

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the fourth; Everything that isn't nailed down, and then some.
In which our heroine will get many more of Emelda's golden keys, kill a vampire and a wherewolf, defeat an evil falconeer ghost, depopulate the pillar of skulls, solve a bunch of puzzles, and make the ghost of Emelda's head torturer rest in peace. Or something, all the while collecting plants and herbs. And fruits. And maggots. And, well, you get it already.

The next stop in our adventure is the garden, and at the end of the previous update we did kill the second guard there so nothing stands in our way. Once beyond much clicking ensues, for every bush, branch, flower, and the like may be a component we need, or at least one we should take in case we later need it, or want it. As we explore we come across more than just ingredients, however: There's a locked door leading into a small area surrounded by a stone wall, an archway leading further, and an archery range that will become really useful soon enough.

elvira001e.png

elvira002e.png

elvira003e.png

elvira004e.png

Right now, however, we just pick herbs and move beyond the archway, where some mushrooms lie in wait for us. We ignore the inviting entrance right in front of the archway, and also the entrance to the hedge maze, a bit further down, and instead keep going to the right of the archway until we hit the end of the path. There we find the house of the ground's keeper, or maybe the gardener. Or both, who knows? He looks, however, indisposed.

elvira005e.png

elvira006e.png

elvira007e.png

elvira008e.png

elvira009e.png

There's a lot to take on this little room, and given both my memory is made of fail and I have deeply ingrained the adventure player's instinct of picking up everything that isn't nailed down I just proceed to take everything, or almost: There's onions and some sage hanging from the roof, and a lamp too. On the table there's an old biscuit tin full with packets of seeds, and upon picking those up I find a key hiding beneath. Against the wall there's a sledge hammer that will become useful soon enough, and, uhm, under the door there's either a gardener or a ground's keeper, or maybe both, who it seems caught something while playing with Emelda's puppy.

elvira010e.png

That's right, we can pick up the maggots who colonized his, uhm, trachea. Isn't it awesome? And we do it twice, actually. God, this is awful. Then we return to the room view and pick the small silver crucifix near his hand, for it seems he forgot crosses do not work against Werewolves. He should have paid more attention to the Kuroneko-Sempai teaches darke magicks, nya!!! segments, I reckon.

Next, we leave. The game, however, informs us we are overloaded and getting tired. This is a good time to introduce another of the game's mechanics: If you get overloaded and straing yourself you will lose some strenght with every step or so, and that's permanent. Or, at least, it is implied that it is permanent until you sleep, but in this game you don't sleep willingly, so there's no way of recovering strenght. And if your strenght ever reaches 0 you will fall asleep where you stand, only to be woken up by Elvira soon afterwards just so she can fire you for sleeping on the job. Game over, but at least you walk out alive so I guess the game's message is that lazy irresponsible people live longer and happier lives than those who take their job seriously. Or than those who do and hunt demons and evil witches for a living, at least.

Once we enter the hedge maze we will find another way of losing strenght and getting fired, but we will not be doing so for a while. In any case, I leave the hammer here and run back to the kitchen, where I drop everyting I got on the larder and, then, go back to the garden carrying only the bag with the spells, the key we got from the tin can, the sword, the shield, and the armor. To return to the garden, however, we must first kill a new guard, this time with a purple tabard.

elvira011e.png

He falls easily enough, and next we go to the locked door next to the archway and unlock it with the small key. As we try to enter several Monks, armed with maces, come out to face us. We slaughter them, and come across the, uhm... Place where you plant useful thingies.

elvira012e.png

elvira013e.png

We lack the knowledge to make use of this area, however, as there's so much green in there we can't easily distinguish what we'll need from what we will not. And, as Fowyr said before, to do this we will need a new spell, as we discover while browsing our grimoire spellbook.

Herbal Honey

Required elementes: Honey and Hay

Make a decoction with 2 handfuls of hay. Boyle for 20
minutes in water and pour liquid into bowl. Stir in jar of
honey until dissolved and allow to cool before transferring to
suitable container.

Allow 30 minutes for completion of this delicious elixir.
Imbibe to become one with the vitae naturae and gain knowl-
edge of the true names of all plants.

We write it down in our to do list and return to the main building, first, and the armoury, then. There we take the crossbow and the bolts, and, upon leaving, lose one more point of strenght, so I decide to never again carry anything while in armor. First we go in and kill everything, then we repeat until no more enemies spawn, then we leave our armor at the main base and go in to solve puzzles. After leaving my shield on the corridor, however, I quickly return to the archery range and begin training, for our archery skill is absent without leave. The first shot completely losses the mark, and the arrow is wasted, lost. The following shots strike the target here and there, until finally we get a bullseye and become a master bowman in, like, four shots. Ain't we amazing? Of course we are!

elvira014e.png

elvira015e.png

Now we go through the archway and, this time, keep moving forward towards the entrance we see just in front of us. This leads us into an open area where a guy with a bit of a totally not up to date taste in fashion plays with his birdies. And as soon as he sees us he let's his bird free to come play with us! So nice of him. :3

elvira017e.png

elvira018e.png

elvira019e.png

elvira020e.png

elvira021e.png

That looks painful, alright. We reload and, this time, as soon as birdie is about to begin his descent upon our eyeballs we shoot him with the crossbow! The guy then kind of wastes away and disappears, leaving us free to loot the body of the great and scary beast itself. We are now richer by measure of a bird's feather and another of Emelda's golden keys! We also get to keep our bolt, yay.

elvira023e.png

elvira024e.png

elvira025e.png

elvira026e.png

Back at the kitchen I leave most things here, take another portion of the healing jelly thingie, and leave my armor. On the corridor I recover my shield, and then go back and take the hammer I had abandoned before. Thus armed, and not forgetting to also pick the already mentioned stake as I go, we go back to the upper floor and into the first room we had gone into, in which a girl was seen to be sleeping. We get close to the bed, and it doesn't end well.

elvira027e.png

elvira028e.png

elvira029e.png

elvira030e.png

So we reload and, this time, do it right. There's nothing with sharp fangs a sharp stake and a sledgehammer can't solve, and I believe they would also solve many things lacking the fangs, like neighbours or teachers. I should give it a try.

elvira032e.png

elvira033e.png

Her expression is priceless, and I don't want to imagine what where the guys thinking when they made it up. Just, like, no. Let's leave it like that. The result of this, however, is that she has been turned, quite literally, to dust, so we pick such a rare ingredient and store it in the larder. We are also free to loot her room, now, and thus take two more bolts from her wardrobe. Back in the kitchen, we drop the items we no longer need, don our armor once more, and go in a guard killing spree along the doors leading to the four main towers, the only ones you can get into from the courtyard. This we will do many times over, but the reinforcements only appear once you change areas, so right now those four will have to do.

elvira034e.png

elvira035e.png

elvira036e.png

elvira037e.png

elvira038e.png

elvira039e.png

elvira040e.png

elvira041e.png

As you can see we come across two interesting things while doing so, appart from the stairs going up the towers: A staircase going down into the castle's catacombs and the castle's well. We then return to the kitchen and try for a while to melt down the silver crucifix by means of a caserole, the kitchen's fire, and Elvira's cooking gloves... :oops: Since it is obviously not happening, after a while I go back into the blacksmith's workshop and search the place again until I find his crucible inside the box I mentioned already in a previous update. I go back to the kitchen, drop my armor, go back into the blacksmith's, take the crucible, and then go back to the kitchen, and try to melt the crucifix in the crucible... And with the kitchen's fire.

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Have I ever mentioned both my common sense and apparently vast reserves of knowledge are limited to just one area of expertise? So after some scratching of heads and some walking around the room and some lip bitting, eureka! I take the crucible, the crucifix, and the cooking gloves, because I did not notice it was truly stupid to take them until after I finished this puzzle, and went back to the blacksmith's workshop. Now, I placed the crucible on the blacksmith fire and then threw the crucifix inside. Then I notice I forgot my bolts, so I run back to the kitchen, take the bolts, run back to the blacksmith's workshop, and then dip the tip of a bolt into the crucible, now filled with molten silver. Aha!

elvira042e.png

And then I notice I forgot the crossbow, so I go back to the kitchen, take the crossbow, leave all bolts but the silver one and now, indeed, I am ready for some werewolf hunting! We return to the stables, the unclean looking guy turns into a big doggie while trying to tell us his weak point, and then we shot him dead.

elvira043e.png

As far as I know there are only two item of interest in here. The first one is a lock of horse hair on the middle, uhm, cubicle like thingie. The second one is on the last, say, cubicle like thingie: Each of those have an iron ring hanging from the wall, but the stone in which this iron ring is placed seems to be loose. We thus pull it off and, behind, find another of the golden keys.

elvira044e.png

elvira045e.png

Now we, again, return to the kitchen, drop our horse hair, crossbow, and key, and recover our armor. We also leave the bag, since we aren't using magic right now. Then we go into another guard killing spree across all four of the doors to the main towers, this time facing and killing three green guards and a yellow one. I also get the hay from the bunch there's next to the door to the stable, that I had failed to notice up until now. With the hay in hand I return to the kitchen and ask Elvira to prepare me the Herbal Honey potion. She does so, and apparently the effects of us trying our hands at cookery are pretty much similar.

elvira046e.png

elvira047e.png

elvira048e.png

elvira049e.png

I drink the potion and then return to the, uhm, small vegetable garden thingie, where we kill another bunch of mace wielding monks before being able to enter. Now we can recognize which plants are useful to us, as well as what each of those is, so we loot the chibigarden clean and, again, return to the kitchen to drop it all on the larder. Then we go for another bout of guard hunting around the courtyard, this time killing three blue ones and a violet one. Returning to the kitchen, I pick the needed ingredients from our stores and ask Elvira to prepare me the Alphabet Soup potion. Once she does we return to the main building's entrance to read the runes there.

elvira050e.png

elvira051e.png

elvira052e.png

elvira053e.png

Ehm, o-kay. Thank you, I guess. I do not have the slightest idea of what it means, but it reminds me I have a body in need of a tomb, and that given I have already cleared the ground level of the four main towers I can access the catacombs without much trouble. So first we go to the tower where we had found the staircase going down, and then we, uhm, go down.

elvira054e.png

elvira055e.png

The first thing we notice is that this place is pretty dark. The second one is that we are in the middle of a corridor going from side to side and have a door just before us, so we advance and enter. This leads us to a tomb and, naturally, means we will open both interactive sarcophagus thingies and check them for space and loot. They are both already taken, though, and the game gets moralfag on us so there's no looting to be done, either. We return to the corridor and start exploring to, from our present perspective, the right, which would be the left from the perspective of the staircase we used to come down here. We do not need to go very far before we meet our first enemy, coming out another of those tomb like rooms. He's quite ugly, too. First we need to strike him normally until we defeat him. That's when the arm's get cut and the skull flies free and start trying to bite us dead.

elvira056e.png

elvira057e.png

elvira058e.png

elvira059e.png

elvira060e.png

elvira061e.png

elvira062e.png

Alas, poor Yorick indeed (it's awfuly bad joke time!). This part, just like the fights against the floating skulls we will come across every now and then while down here, is very bothersome: The skull is fast, and dosbox runs this game with a bit of a lag. Or at least mine does. After a while we come across a point where the corridor splits, and we take the left path. The first tomb like room we then come across has two very interesting thingies on it. First, an empty sarcophagus.

elvira063e.png

And the second, well, see it for yourself.

elvira064e.png

elvira065e.png

elvira066e.png

Yes, we are now underwater! We swim into the sarcophagus the water came from, and down until we hit the bottom. Then we swim through a small corridor until we come across another vertical shaft. If we keep going forward and into another small corridor we will come across an iron grate we lack the key to open, so instead we swim up until we find air. That was close! There's a rope here, too, by means of which we can climb outside the well, for it is inside the well we are, now. If we had taken the rope out the well, however, we would be pretty much screwed.

elvira067e.png

elvira068e.png

elvira069e.png

We climb outside and return to the catacombs. First we go to the left, as before, and then, instead of going left again at the split, we pick right. We get to fight Morte and several of his friends, and then come across the single most important tile on this place. Look very carefully to the floor in this intersection tile, right in the middle. See that smallish hole? We click here and discover...

elvira070e.png

elvira071e.png

elvira072e.png

elvira073e.png

This looks like we may need to place something here, but what? We keep exploring and fending off ugly monsters and flying skulls until we come across an unique monster, so powerful the game goes into hint mode. He then proceeds to cave our head in with the very same piece of floor we were looking for. Talk about being careful what you wish for.

elvira074e.png

elvira075e.png

elvira076e.png

We reload. Before leaving the catacombs we go back to the door leading to the room we did flood, which obviously can't be opened anymore. So we return to Elvira's kitchen, leave all but our sword here, and take the skeleton we have. Then we return to the well and go for a swim. Since we are here I decide to take the chance to show you two other things: The grate I mentioned...

elvira077e.png

elvira078e.png

elvira079e.png

... and our meatpuppet getting drown, yay. The grate is locked, and thus we will need to find it's particular key before doing anything with it. We reload and, this time, do what we came here to do: We swim all the way to the flooded crypt, place the bones in the empty sarcophagus, and then swim all the way back. We drown twice or so, but in the end we manage to do it just right. This means now we can go back and get the tongs, so we return to the kitchen, eat the last slice of the healing jelly thingie, and again equip ourselves with our shield and armor. Then we go back into the dungeon's kinky room and get the item we wanted without being horribly killed by the ghost.

elvira080e.png

And there it is this update must come to an end. Next time we meet we will go explore the castle's towers and walls, as well as into the hedge maze, where our heroine will finally go back being a happy witch by means of murdering many defenseless things by means of spells and filters instead of chunks of sharp metal.

And now unto the quotes...

anus_pounder said:
I'm really glad to see an LP of a western game. Keep it up!
Alexandros said:
I'm really glad to see Black Cat LPing a western game (and doing a great job so far). Keep it up!

Thank you very much. And, well, I'm a dungeon crawler, so I'll loot your dungeons, kill your minions, evade (ha ha ha) your traps, and solve your puzzles regardless of latitude. I'm kind of less of a weaboo than i am someone who just plays what she likes regardless of where does it come from. Good games are already scarce enough for one not to be multicultural about it. :P

Fowyr said:
Black Cat, Ghostdog, if you will find maidenhair, inform me about its location. It is only reagent what I not found.

I would love to help but neither Maidenhair nor Dragon Blood I have found before. Though this must be the first game in which I almost never use magic (other than to slaughter the goblins), though I used to do it because I was affraid of wasting reagents I would need for the last boss. After finally defeating her last night all I can say is Ho, Ho, Ho, I'm a total retard.

Also,

Crooked Bee said:

This. I mean, you did not only clear The Legacy, which is already epic in itself, but Dark Heart of Uukrul? You are a true dungeon crawler. :salute:

ghostdog said:
I'm off to play Elvira. Thanks for reminding me of this game, BC.

I'm glad my little Let's Play thingie reminded you of the game, then. Have loads of fun. :3

Phelot said:
Great LP as always, Black Cat. :salute:
Cenobyte said:
Looks good so far, will follow

Thank you very much. :3

Azira said:

flatchest.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom