Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bad movies come alive - Let's play Elvira II!

Black Cat

Magister
cerberus001a.jpg

Chapter the first; Teacher, is it true demon cats are affraid of spiders?
In which our heroine introduces us to her next adventure, involving the banishing of evil stuffies that have taken possession of a bad movie factory and the rescue, again, of the titular B-Horror movie hostess moonlighting as a chaos sorceress, or the other way around. Nothing much happens in this first update, however, though our heroine will manage to write some really awfully structured sentences while being at it.

Released back in 1992, Elvira II, The Jaws of Cerberus was the second game in Horrorsoft's pretty cool trilogy of B-Horror inspired adventure dungeon crawlers, and the last one for us to do a Let's Play thingie of, as we already did the others. It is, in many elements, a bigger and better Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, just with an awful combat system thrown in place of the pretty cool and challenging one in its predecesor. Some elements that would later appear on Waxworks are also present, like the entire idea of there being several dungeons linked by a real world level, in this game those being three haunted movie sets linked by the haunted movie studio. Contrary to Waxworks, though, we will not be going back to level one between dungeons, instead jumping from one to the next as much as we want or need.

And the music is pretty cool.

As usual, let's begin this with a smallish plot synopsis. Given I haven't the original manual for this one let's steal from wikipedia instead, yay!

The main character is Elvira's boyfriend, whose mission is to save Elvira, captured by the demon Cerberus who wants to use her magical power for his own aims. The player seeks Elvira in a horror movie studio where the props and movie sets have turned into actual monstrosities, apparently as a result of building the studio on haunted grounds.

Members of the storyfag bureau may start leaving, indeed. And as far as I know that's about all the plot we are going to get, so you better savor it. I say as far as I know for, as you may already know if you did read the small chat we had at the end of my Elvira, Mistress of the Dark Let's Play thingie, I haven't finished this game yet and actually had just gone a bit beyond the middle point when, uhm, I was informed of something and had to, uhm, leave in a hurry to preserve my own sanity. So this Let's Play thingie is kind of blind, which also means no spoilers nor solutions nor hints. You are here to watch me suffer, not to save me from my own ineptitude.

cerberus002a.jpg

This is what we see upon starting the game and entering our new meatpuppet, as the game prompts us to choose our class. We have four options: Stuntman, who is your basic super physical character; Private Eye, who is a good all around character; Computer programer, who is kind of a loser with high resistances to magic, because he's a technologist I asume, and poison, because of his not very hygienic lifestyle; Knife thrower, who is the, uhm, let me check... Kind of a high accuracy character, or something. In any case, this I believe modifies both the starting stats and the level up schemes. The following numbers are the initial values for Weapon Skill, Accuracy, Will Power, Magic Resist, Strenght, Constitution, Poison Resist, and Intelligence, in that order.

Stuntman 10 6 10 6 9 8 10 6
Private Eye 9 9 9 8 8 9 8 9
Programmer 6 8 6 10 10 6 6 10
Knife Thrower 8 10 8 8 6 10 9 8

And no, you don't get to vote. My coolness detector is working just fine and it can easily tell me which is the right choice.

750245-texmurphy_large.jpg

And now that we have made our choice we can see our Inventory, which is quite full for a game that just started: We have a small knife, a smaller penknife, a red pendant thingie Elvira forgot in our meatpuppet's car a couple nights ago, our keys, an empty wallet, a ballpoint pen, a half chewed piece of gum (ewww!), and a smallish silver cross that isn't going to stop any werewolves.

cerberus003a.jpg

I am not given even enough time to finish testing what each thingie on the interface does that something magical happens with my head, as Elvira decides to mind rape us to tells us not to forget bringing her book, as she must be the most careless witch ever when it comes to taking care of her Grimoire spellbook.

cerberus004a.jpg

Listen, I've been captured by this triple headed guy with a severe body hair problem. He says he's gonna sacrifice me at midnight. Help me! You dumb moose brain. Take my spell book and get over here. Well, what are you waiting for? I'm in studio...

The, uhm, signal is cut off, and we are left to our own devices. Strangely, now we actually have Elvira's spellbook in our inventory window. Also, a new button has been activated in the interface, showing the icon of the book. Given we are at it, let's talk about the interface thingie, given it did change a whole lot.

cerberus005a.jpg

The heart on the upper left corner is our, uhm, heart, i guess. It speeds up or slows down in certain situations, according to how scared and hurt we are if I am to believe an incomplete manual transcript I have, and the number next to it is the sum of all of our particular hitpoints. Those are indicated just below, every part of our body with it's own hitpoints. If our head or chest reach zero, game over. If all of our extremities reach zero, I believe it was also a game over. If just some extremities reach zero, we suffer penalties until we heal them back into shape.

Under our body is a small window in which we can scroll through our currently active spells. Below there's a window that works kind of like a movement detector according to the manual transcript: Each time we move it goes crazy, however, so i'm assuming we need to advance, then stop for a while, then advance, then stop for a while for it to work as intended.

On the right hand side of the interface we have six small buttons. They are, from left to right and downwards, the show inventory button, the show room inventory one, which kind of shows all items we have noticed, or left, in the current room, a blank space where I believe the show prepared spells button should go, then the spellbook button, then the show weapons button, and then a blank space where the talk button will appear if needed. Below there are four blank spaces where the verbs we can use with whatever we try to interact with will appear, like examine or use, and under those there are two more icons: A smallish body thingie, which will show us our current stat values, and the options menu, for saving and the like. Then we have the movement arrows, which require no explanation.

The two gauges at the sides of the information bar thingie under the main view, one red and one green, indicate the damage we do and receive during combat. The information bar thingie shows our level, our remaining Power Points, our remaining Hit Points, and our current experience. Uff, that's it. Just because we are curious nekos we click on the spellbook next and get a list of all the spells Elvira has in her little grimoire, which are a lot.

cerberus006a.jpg

cerberus007a.jpg

cerberus008a.jpg

cerberus009a.jpg

cerberus010a.jpg

Checking the manual transcript we notice Elvira is no longer a goode olde hedge kitchen witch, instead undergoing a transformation into a fully fledged Chaote sorceress during the time between Mistress of the Dark and Jaws of Cerberus. Her spells now use, like, kind of random stuff, never better said. For example, if we were to prepare a Brainboost spell to raise both our memory and intelligence we would need to use something that stores information as a component, like a floppy disk. Pope Pete and his followers would, like, totally aprove. Way to go, girl!

highfive.png

This means we both need to keep our eyes open for all kinds of stuff during our adventures and that we must be vewy, vewy, vewy carefull, given components are not just quite limited in number but may, or may not, have a diferent use outside being turned into a spell. Also, some spells like Bind Demon or Summon Storm are actually needed to solve the game, where others are just there to give us some extra pew pew when rat diplomacy fails us.

So, in any case, that's it. 'ere we go, I say! Straight ahead of us is the entrance to Black Widow studios, but they aren't going to budge just like that. Next to it is a small guard house, but the door is locked. We return to the path leading from the street into the main gate and look around until we find a big enough stone, then return to the door and introduce our new friend to it. They get along pretty well, I reckon.

cerberus011a.jpg

cerberus012a.jpg

cerberus013a.jpg

cerberus014a.jpg

cerberus015a.jpg

cerberus016a.jpg

The place's a mess! We look around for a little bit while taking note of many things that may, or may not, be of use later: A police jacket, a police hat, a bunch of thingies in the notice board, sharp pieces of glass in the floor. We also use our smallish knife to equip it as a weapon, given from now on we are fair game. Then open the other door, along the wall.

cerberus017a.jpg

cerberus018a.jpg

cerberus019a.jpg

cerberus020a.jpg

A not very healthy looking individual falls from the locker. Being the humanistic and caritative neko I am we check him for valuables, but find nothing but a key. :( Then we walk around the desk so we can access the security panel and the computer screen over there. From the screen we can watch the building from three diferent cameras, none of which reveals anything useful.

cerberus021a.jpg

cerberus022a.jpg

cerberus023a.jpg

cerberus024a.jpg

The focus on studio number three may be of interest, however, so we take note of it before going to the security panel, which we activate by means of the dead guy's key. The panel then proceeds to ask us a copy protection question, but given I have the cracked version we just click on 6 until it gets bored and leaves us be. Or, in any case, I thought it was cracked, but only the first panel actually is, so the later ones will require we to use the code wheel. Yay for us.

cerberus025a.jpg

cerberus026a.jpg

Now we leave the room, return outside, and walk to the main gate, now open for us. What terrible secrets and ancient evils await for us inside Black Widow studios? What horrible beings lurk in the shadows, spawned by some of the worst movies in human history? Why does the Resurrection spell not mention any components? More importantly, will our favorite Kasha manage to get past her arachnophobia long enough for us to actually clear the game? And, later, will she ever be able to sleep again? Those and many more question will be answered in the sucesive chapters of Let's watch kuroneko hide under a bed and tremble hysterically to the sound of eight pointy legs walking by, tap tapity tap!

The things I do for you, guys.

And this time i'll try to keep tally of how many times I die horribly, so Lightbane-Kun may pull my fluffy ears as a reward.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:thumbsup:

Be strong, Kuroneko-sensei, we're with you! :salute:

(I know I voted for a Strange Journey LP, but will be eagerly following this one!)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
1st update

Jeez girl, you're on a killing LP spree or what?

Not that I mind it though ;)

Good luck witch! :salute: You know it yourself well, you gonna need every ounce of it.

lightbane

Arcane
What? The 1st update and no deaths yet? :decline: of Elvira. Also, why choose a private detective when playing as a nerdy programmer is more lulzworthy? In any case, :thumbsup: :love:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
You are here to watch me suffer, not to save me from my own ineptitude.
OK :P
Black Cat said:
Or, in any case, I thought it was cracked, but only the first panel actually is, so the later ones will require we to use the code wheel. Yay for us.
When I played Elvira 2 first time, I have this version and was totally :x (even 4448 code don't worked). Later I found fully cracked French version, partially translated it back to English and finished game. Thank Cthulhu, I found normal version for second playthrough.
Looks like you have full manual with code wheels? Can you link to it or upload it somewhere?

Good luck banishing naughty dog, Black Cat.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the second; It's like a squatting house for unemployed movie villains in there.
In which our heroine somewhat explores the main building, meets a pretty suspicious indian shaman guy, opens the wrong set to begin with, and then runs away very fast and introduces her readers to the remaining ones. Finally, she will start doing set number two, which is kind of a haunted house shared by a bunch of communist monsters or something.

We have finally gained access to Black Widow productions' grounds, and find ourselves in the parking lot. Only one car is there to be found, and close examination reveals it to be none other than Elvira's. The trunk, we find, is open, and inside we come across two tools that might come useful: A wrench and a wire cutter. Other than that we can only go inside the main building. We also did gain a level while trying to gain access, so our stats did grow a little bit.

cerberus001b.jpg

cerberus002b.jpg

cerberus003b.jpg

Inside there isn't a lot to do, yet. The reception is empty, just like the bathrooms and the corridor leading to the movie sets are. Little there is that would be worth to loot, though we do note the location of some soon to be important items, like a fire extinguisher. Being kind of methodical and systematic I decide to not even touch the doors leading into the sets, yet, and instead return to the main hall and take the elevator to the basement.

cerberus004b.jpg

cerberus005b.jpg

cerberus006b.jpg

cerberus007b.jpg

cerberus008b.jpg

Down there we come across another fire extinguisher and several other things that may, or may not, be of use later. However, the most strange one is a weird, uhm, indian shaman guy who speaks like right out a bad movie. After a short dialogue we have a quest and some pointers about what happened in Black Widow studios.

cerberus009b.jpg

cerberus010b.jpg

cerberus011b.jpg

Hi.

I warn them not build studios here. Now great Evil will befall.

What great Evil?

Mighty Evil spirit come. Capture Mistress. Take my magic. Try to enslave all.

What magic?

Spear, Tomahawk, Magic Bag.

What will they do?

Bgrin them to me. Bring pipe of peace.

How will they help?

I smoke pipe. Create powerful magic.

O-kay, I guess it can't hurt to try. Now I move through the door just beyond the indian guy and enter some kind of boiler room who is a bit... cold, which somehow does not seem right for a boiler room. I do not need to bring out my cards and my pendulum to understand this isn't a natural happening, given how creepy everything looks down there. Against the wall there's a copper rod, too, which is pretty important in our quest, but right now it can't be taken. I save and try anyway, because we all know what you are here to see.

cerberus012b.jpg

cerberus013b.jpg

cerberus014b.jpg

cerberus015b.jpg

cerberus016b.jpg

This a pretty easy puzzle to solve, as you will soon see. In any case we turn around instead of trying to take the copper rod. There's a key for us to pick, and as you can see there's also an indian medicine bag hanging from the door. We can't, however, pick it from this side: We must return to the previous room and close the door, then pick it. Yay.

cerberus017b.jpg

Now I return to the elevator and go to the second floor, where I find a long corridor with several doors to explore. The first one to the right is the door to the computer room. The first one to the left leads to the canteen, and before entering there we notice we just went up a level and review our stats: Our weapon skill is now 13, our accuracy 14, or willpower 13, our magic resistance 12, our strenght 12, our constitution 11, our poison resistance 11, and our intelligence 13. Then we explore the canteen, and then the second door to the left, which leads to the costume room. There we find more than we bargained for.

cerberus018b.jpg

cerberus019b.jpg

cerberus020b.jpg

cerberus021b.jpg

cerberus022b.jpg

I reckon we will have to wait before getting us some cool clothes. Next in line, being the second door to the right, is the make up room, which will become very important to our quest later on. Inside the trash can on the left there is a small hand mirror, and several wigs and hats await in the shelves. The farthest and leftmost mirror also has a small chest with several more items that would be useful to prepare a costume, like fake noses, glases, fake beards, etc. We fool around a little before leaving everything back in place.

cerberus023b.jpg

cerberus024b.jpg

cerberus025b.jpg

cerberus026b.jpg

The last three rooms are quick to search. The last one to the right is Elvira's own room, which is a total and complete mess. There are many things here, their utility, or lack of, yet to be discovered, other than the small silver four leaf clover amulet inside the box on the table, which we will come back to get if we need to cast a luck spell. The last door on the left side is the director's office, containing little of interest other than alcohol and soda. The last room is a typing room of some kind, containing, among other things, a floppy disk we may come back to get later if needed.

cerberus027b.jpg

cerberus028b.jpg

cerberus029b.jpg

We now return to the ground floor and, then, to the corridor leading to the three sets. All the doors are protected by uncracked keypads, I discover after a couple of tries, when Elvira appears to tell me to read the fine manual and then drops me back to the system prompt. Being a very well prepared neko I do this the old way, though it kind of puts me on a bad mood that we need to do this every single time we want to enter one of the sets. I'm very angry about copy protection measures that are both retarded and intrusive. In any case, we gain access to studio number one, though Elvira decides to drop by to warn us about this area.

cerberus030b.jpg

cerberus031b.jpg

C'mon, Elvira. I can understand a low level witch like you, who depends almost entirely on her non magical assets to get stuff done, might be scared of a little dungeon crawling... But me? I'm the black kasha, girl. The legendary kuroneko-san. The awesome, incredible, astounding, and quite charming black cat of doom and omens. The dwarves have songs about my dungeon crawling, monster purging, trap evading, puzzle solving, loot nabbing adventures, usually ending in how I defeated some big lovecraftian horror from the deeps without getting my fluffy tail's ribbon dirty. It takes more, much more, than some dark and damp corridors full of monsters and riddles to scare me away. It takes...

cerberus032b.jpg

... caves inhabited by really big spiders, for example.

pleasenoneko.jpg

We leave very quickly, and vewy quietly. Hush, hush. We return to the corridor, lock the door, and chain it. And nail it. And then pile all the furniture we can find in fron of it. And then nail the furniture to the door. And then chain the furniture together. And to the door, too. And then glue everything together, yes. That was close. Ufff. Let's begin by, uhm, checking the other studios first, instead. Like, we should do some, ahm, recog... rec... reconnaissance before starting, yes. That's a good idea, indeed. Yessir, a great one. Totally.

So we check the other two sets: Studio number two, just across the corridor, has a haunted house set. Studio number three, a long way down the corridor and at its end, has what looks like some kind of graveyard.

cerberus033b.jpg

cerberus034b.jpg

Being a lucky cat I remember enough of the game to know the best way to go is by doing the haunted house first, so there we will go first. Thank you, game! Thank you very much! We go there and enter, and as soon as we are inside Elvira, again, appears to taunt us. We should just go away and let her deal with her canine problem alone, I say.

cerberus002c.jpg

cerberus003c.jpg

cerberus004c.jpg

The house is mostly about solving puzzles, and there are only a few real battles here. We start exploring around the hall, not finding anything of great value so far outside two doors, one to the left and one to the right. We start going to the left and come to a smallish living room with two more doors, one of those protected by a quite inofensive, it seems, spirit. As we prepare to leave through the other door, after looking at this and that, Elvira decides to, once again, pop up. This time, however, she actually tells us something useful. Who would have tought so?

cerberus005c.jpg

cerberus006c.jpg

cerberus007c.jpg

The next room is a smallish study of some kind, though it is mostly just a movie set and the books on the shelves at the sides of the desk are all fake. The drawers, however, contain two items that may become useful later: A padlock and a prayer book bound in leather. Across the room there's also a fish tank, which we closely search. There's a key in it! I save, for my memory isn't that bad, and try to take it. Yay.

cerberus008c.jpg

cerberus009c.jpg

cerberus010c.jpg

cerberus011c.jpg

Those are some really nasty fishies, I have to say. And some really fast eaters, too. We reload, first, and then return to the hall. This time we go to the right from the main door and looking to the stair, but stop before going through the door and turn left. There's a corridor here and, more importantly, a barometer next to it. We note its location for later. Also, on the far side of the corridor there seems to be a female silhouette somewhat reminiscent of Elvira, which is so obviously a trap we can't help but save and fall for it. They are trying so hard!

cerberus012c.jpg

cerberus013c.jpg

cerberus014c.jpg

cerberus015c.jpg

That, uhm, undead thingie doesn't always kill you, however. Every now and then you just lose consciousness from the fear and then wake up back at the main hall or actually die from the scare. Our meatpuppet is really lucky we are here for him, otherwise he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of rescuing Elvira. Look, it's a zombie! I'm so scared i'll just pass out and die of fear! :roll:

Now we turn back to the right and go through the door, ending in the dining room. Dinner, it seems, has been served already, and we also come across useful things like wine and wine glasses, both elements we can use for spells. Naturally, we will take a peek below the, uhm, thingie. You know which thingie, the one in the middle of the table. The one with the cover under which nothing scary will be waiting to, like, scare us, I reckon.

cerberus016c.jpg

cerberus017c.jpg

cerberus018c.jpg

cerberus019c.jpg

cerberus020c.jpg

That must be the less scary undead head under a dinner cover ever. Some times our character will also pass out to this, but after what we said about him being a pansy this time he steels himself and stares back, then after a while the head gets serious and we put the cover back on it. As you may have noticed on the screenshots above there's also a small window like thingie in there, but that will be left for later. Now we return to the hall and go upstairs and to the right. We enter the first door we come across and die horribly, yay!

cerberus021c.jpg

cerberus022c.jpg

cerberus023c.jpg

If you can't stand the heat, etc. We reload, then go upstairs and to the left. The first door we come across this time is a bathroom with several things worth of note. Then we move to the next closest door, ending in a big bedroom. There are, again, several things of note, including small neko figurines!

cerberus024c.jpg

cerberus025c.jpg

cerberus026c.jpg

There's a blood stained sheet covering something that totally isn't a dead guy on the bed, too. We get closer, pull away the cover, and start searching the dead guy that totally isn't here. If he were, however, he would have some keys and what looks like a movie script. Also, if he were and we tried to take either a, uhm, ghost thingie would come out of his bodie and beat us to death.

cerberus027c.jpg

cerberus028c.jpg

cerberus029c.jpg

cerberus030c.jpg

So we reload and return to the corridor, instead. Next door is just an empty and small bedroom, just like the one after. However, entering that one suddenly makes us feel very tired and sleepy, and our meatpuppet falls asleep on the bed. There he has one of those dreams guys have and, upon waking up, gets his very just punishment for it. Who said Succubi weren't fair? That'll teach him, I reckon.

cerberus031c.jpg

cerberus032c.jpg

cerberus033c.jpg

cerberus034c.jpg

cerberus035c.jpg

cerberus036c.jpg

Pay attention that he has no wounds, however. He actually died of fear, which is an important hint in how to solve this little room. For now, however, we better evade this place, so we reload back to the corridor and enter the one after this one, the kids' room. There's a bunch of toys and stuffies in here, of which we make note before leaving back to the corridor, and then in the oposite direction given there's nothing more to search in this side. Over there, meanwhile, we come across another room and then a staircase into the attic at the very end of the corridor.

cerberus037c.jpg

cerberus038c.jpg

cerberus039c.jpg

We go up, then, and come across an empty attic with nothing but, uhm, a coffin on it? Oh. It opens, a vampire straight out of a B-Movie comes out and rushes us in a blink, and then eats us. What was the script writter for this set doing? Trying to get into the Guinness book of records for craming the most horror cliches into the same little house? What's next, Doctor Frankenstein and a cannibalistic cook? I kind of forgot taking a screenshot when he killed us, however, so the death screen is from a bit later, therefore the diference on EXPerience and the like.

cerberus040c.jpg

cerberus041c.jpg

cerberus042c.jpg

cerberus043c.jpg

That attic is actually one pretty unfair puzzle, as you will soon see. Right now, however, we reload in the corridor and return to the children's room, where we lay claim to all the colored balls and colored cubes. Then we return to the living room on the ground floor, get in front of the door protected by the pacifist ghost but across the room and leave on of the coloured cubes on the floor. The ghost comes towards us to play, and then we rush through the door.

cerberus044c.jpg

cerberus045c.jpg

cerberus046c.jpg

And thus we did reach the library, where we will have to read many books full of hints and leads. That, however, will come in the next update, in which we will read every single clickable book on the library, and if by then my fingers aren't hurting really bad we may start doing some problem solving too.

'til next time, then!

Now unto the quotes...

Fowyr said:
Looks like you have full manual with code wheels? Can you link to it or upload it somewhere?

I have a, uhm, bunch of stuff I got from different sources, mostly. I have a kind of incomplete transcript of the amiga manual, which kind of explains some stuff like what does each character class do and the like, and then a text file which basicaly takes the place of the code wheel. It's kind of bothersome to use, and requires some trial and error, but then it works like a charm.

Lightbane said:
Also, why choose a private detective when playing as a nerdy programmer is more lulzworthy?

My Let's Play thingies are always written from my own point of view instead of the character's meatpuppet's, so there wouldn't really be any difference in how lulzy, or not lulzy, it is. And my knowledge of computers and the like is almost null, so there wouldn't be any computer nerd jokes or comments. That aside, like, private detectives are cooler and hotter by default, so nya. :P

Fowyr said:
Good luck banishing naughty dog, Black Cat.
Kz3r0 said:
Great job Feline Lady
Azira said:
It's cat versus dog. She's bound to be succesful.
Mrowak said:
Good luck witch!

Thank you!

Mrowak said:
Jeez girl, you're on a killing LP spree or what?

It's summer, the season in which us witches loyal to the midnight court lock ourselves in their air conditioned huts-in-the-swamp and towers of sorcery and forgotten dungeons, and curse the sun under our breaths.

Kz3r0 said:

:love:

So kawaii!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
Trying to get into the Guinness book of records for craming the most horror cliches into the same little house? What's next, Doctor Frankenstein and a cannibalistic cook?
:lol:
Good start.

spekkio

Arcane
Wow. You're on a roll, Neko-chan.

But I have to go through FF4, Waxworks and Elvira 1 LPs first... :cry:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MOAR!!1

spekkio said:

But I have to go through FF4, Waxworks and Elvira 1 LPs first... :cry:

I see you have some trouble distinguishing BC from CB, spek-kun. :roll: But while you're at it, don't forget about my Uukrul LP. :smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Another entertaining LP even if I don't like the game. You're really on a roll Black Cat :thumbsup:

spekkio

Arcane
Needs moar bloom.

:smug:

But at least I excluded Barbarian as another BC's alt - it's impossible to write some goddamned essay on Tacticular Cancer and manage four LPs at the same time...

Right?

:retarded:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:

Black Cat, this is slowly getting predictable. Your update is awesome as usual. Great work :thumbsup:

Oh and

Crooked Bee said:
pleasenoneko.jpg

Right click -> Save :P

My first reaction as well...

Though I found the image lacking thematically so there you go:

koneko.jpg

fix'd for you, witch :smug:

Black Cat

Magister
patchywithbook.jpg

(just because I can)

Chapter the third; A quite cleaver girl.
In which our heroine reads every single book in the library, yay. Then she gets to play a bit with some witchery, purges her first enemy of this case, meets her new best friend forever, and goes in a killing spree to celebrate the occasion! Also, this update had too few screenshots for it's size so we made up with lots and lots of anime pictures as to not lose the weaboo reputation.

The library, where we did just arrive at the end of the previous update, is a pretty important area, given there's many a hint and lead to discover among its many books, as well as an important item. It isn't, however, the most exiting one, and given how totally not storyfag compatible the game is most of it isn't very well written, so it isn't very fun at all to go through all of it. But if my Let's Play thingies are anything, that anything is detailed... And that means today we read many, many books and, probably, do nothing else. Yay.

The library is divided into several sections: Right in front of the door we have Films, Humor, and Horror. To the right we have Reference, Novels, and Occult. Next to the door we have Medicine, and to the left there isn't any interactive section. Each part of the library has between one and three interactive shelves, each of those a book we can interact with.

Naturally, we begin our research with the Occult section. The first, and only, book we get is titled The Theory of Resurrection, and is described as a very old book giving the details on the Resurrection spell, which, as I mentioned before in passing, does not give instructions neither on the manual nor on the spellbook itself. As this volume goes we will need the target's brain, heart, and skin, as well as an item of personal importance, to be able to cast this spell. Also, the spell can only be cast in a place of religion and eats a lot of Power Points, or something. As it may be obvious this is less of a proper spell than of a puzzle needed to advance the main quest later on. Given the order in which we are doing things, however, we may find those items long before we actually find who we need to revive.

Next we go to the Novels section, that has nothing of use. The only book, an untitled and anonimous autobiography that reads nothing like an autobiography, is just there for LULZ, though some passages are quite Codexian in nature. Then we come to the Reference section, the first book in which is titled From Bungee Jumping to Leaded Lights and is described as a think book referencing the strangest things people do for fun. We leave it be, and go to the next book in the Reference section. This one's actually useful, being titled Everyman's Poison Handbook and being described as a catalogue detailing many popular poisons of the game's own decade. Among the ones listed there's one of interest for us.

This next poison only works underwater and must be administered orally. Called Watery Grave, this poison causes death within seconds of ingestion and is guaranteed to work, or your money back.

As we return the book to it's place a sheet of paper falls from it and into the floor, thus we are only able to get it by using the Room Inventory. In it is written the formula of a powerful poison... Maybe the one we need, even. We take it with us, then go back to reading stuff. The last book in the Reference section is titled Junior Practical Science and described as a book on technology for kids. It babbles about radio comunication or something, so i'll keep that one in mind if later we need such information for a puzzle.

We then come to the most heavy part of the library, the Horror section. The three books in there are a three volume catalogue of monsters and the like, describing more or less most of the things we will be facing through the game. We begin going through them in order, begining with Creatures of Horror (A - I).

The ANGEL of DEATH is one of evil's most powerful minions. This unholy creature is sent straight from hell to deal with those who meddle in the affairs of evil. They are usually sent only when all else fails. Although emaciated and of very sallow complexion these creatures are extremely dangerous and can usually kill with just one blow of their scythe. It is said to be impossible to run from an angel of death. Few survive after having attracted evil's attention to this degree.

If this game weren't based on B-Horror movies I would be raging hysterically right now, but given an important part of B-Horror is that they didn't do any research at all I'll let it slide. In any case, it is obvious we will have to fight this guy sooner or later, I reckon. Hopefully, later.

ANIMATES are things created by human scientists or magic users with a specific series of actions in mind. They generally perform simple movements, like robots. They are renowned for endlessly following a set pattern until commanded otherwise. They can only understand basic commands unless some sort of artificial intelligence has been installed. They are usually extremely tough and often cannot be killed while the magic is still working. This is because the magic heals any injuries they may have and they are restored to their original state. They do not have any special powers and must be pulverised to stop them.

This is the dead guy we came across on the small corridor, I believe. This entry is pretty much spelling for us that we need to find a way to get past him not involving violence of any kind, for it will not work. Yay.

BANSHEES are the unfortunate slaves of demons whose purpose is often to foretell a death in the house. However, they are often used as early warning systems. Their ear-splitting screams will alert people to an intruder's presence. They attack by scratching with their nails but are basically defenseless against a determined attacker. They have no magical powers and the presence of a banshee usually indicates greater danger ahead. Be warned for their screams are said to cause intense head pain and alert their masters.

:rage:

Breath deeply. Yes, deeply. Ten, nine, eight. Huff, huff. Done. Relaxed. Yes. In any case, I have very vague memories of facing one such thing before, I believe. Somewhere in the Graveyard set, if i'm not mistaken. I don't remember what I had to do with her so I'll have to improvise once I find her.

DEMONS are creatures that originate on another plane of existence. There are seven planes apart from the Material plane on which we dwell. Indeed, if we could travel to one of these other planes then we too would be classed as demons. Chaos is a basic demon trait and it is simply for amusement that they come to our plain to wreak havoc. They can also be summoned with magic and forced to carry out tasks for the summoner. All demons are at least moderately powerful. Some are extremely powerful and if they attack en masse they could conquer the world. Luckily demons generally don't get along.

I would love to know where does the seven planes idea comes from, given I have seen it several times in games and books and movies yet I have never seen it mentioned in any real occult text. Maybe it's just someone's misunderstanding of the idea of the seven sub-abyssal spheres in Hermetic Kabalah that somehow got around a lot, as wrong interpretations are bound to do.

MAJOR DEMONS are, fortunately for humanity, a rare breed. There are actually only eight in existence, to rule each of the planes. The most volatile demon is Cerberus. This demon takes teh form of a huge, triple headed dog. This creature breathes fire and casts very powerful spells. If you meet Cerberus it is a very good idea to run away, extremely quickly. It is extremely unfriendly and has made several, so far unsuccessful, attempts to conquer this dimension in teh past. Cerberus is often surrounded by it's minions, these provide protection from magic users who have the power to banish it back to its own plane.

While I believe what happened here was just random chance and not actual research it is true Cerberus was aspected as a demon in medieval demonolatry and demonology. It is described as a mighty and somewhat uncontrollable infernal marquis who, contrary to what his somewhat harsh character and manner of speak may suggest, is actually very skilled in eloquence, etiquette, and diplomacy, and imparts those secrets conductive to a graceful and effortless life. He also has twenty infernal legions under him, which would put him on about the same level with some among the Goetic Lords, so he isn't a small fry at all. This aspect or form of Cerberus is not very well known, however, and all but the most dedicated and scholarly demonologists ignore it's existence.

MINOR DEMONS come in many shapes and sizes and from many planes. The most common ones are Elemental Demons and Succubi. Elemental demons come from one of the elemental planes and have powers associated with that element. For example, Fire demons can throw fire at will. Succubi use seduction to get their victims in a vulnerable position whereupon they use their claws to rip him limb from limb. They appear as beautiful humans having first induced a deep sleep in their victim.

Elemental demons appear as a solid mass of their element and the key to their destruction is usually the opposite element.

This last hint is related to the demon inhabiting the boiler room. As you may remember from the image there was something looking somewhat like a rectangular block of ice in between the big round thingies, and that's what we have to burn to banish it back to wherever he came from. On the topic of the Succubi, the ones described here are more of a mixture of Lamias than actual Succubi: Succubi are female demons of dreams that feed on their target's will and spirit through sexual intercourse while Lamias are the ones to seduce males, tempt them into a place and position of weakness, and then claw them to death or eat them alive. Also, Lamias never actually enter a sexual relationship with their prey.

GHOSTS are non-material entities that usually work for a powerful magic user with the promise that they will be restored to life for their service. Ghosts are the spirits of people that died in an extremely violent way, with great pain. They attack with a touch of ice which saps strength and health and is known to be extremely disconcerting. Because of their non-material state they can only be damaged with magic. Fortunately, they are extremely weak when attacked in this way.

I don't really remember the ghosts, so either I never got that far or I completely forgot about it.

GHOULS are undead creatures who have the unique ability to paralyze living creatures with a touch. They are more intelligent than animates and zombies and are capable of some independent thought, although they are usually controlled by a magic user of some sort. They are quite tough and fairly hard to kill, but they have no magical powers. When they are not attempting to paralyze they tend to attack very quickly with a dagger.

I vaguely remember facing those under the graveyard. Beyond that, nothing at all.

GIANT RATS have evolved deep beneath the ground, out of sight of humans. They are many times the size of normal rats and their powerful jaws can cause serious damage. They are not very tough but can withstand a lot of damage and do not present much of a problem. Beware, some carry contagious diseases.

orin.png

Now that's the kind of overgrown vermin I can totally see myself having a nice relationship with, instead of those huge spiders and similarly ugly beasts.

HAGS are evil women who have devoted their lives to malice. They have been rewarded with powerful magic and cursed with physical deformity. Once past their magical defenses it is fairly easy to defeat them as they have weak bodies. They usually use lightning bolts to kill their enemies.

This one's the old witch in the costume room. As you can see there's no trick to killing her, nor puzzle to solve. We just need to find a real weapon and charge her, and we will be doing both soon enough.

IMPs are best described as small, green humanoids with a nasty disposition. They are actually humans cursed with green skin who were condemned many years ago and left the surface to live underground. Do not underestimate them, the undeground life is not easy and a normal imp is much stronger and tougher than a human. Imps are master smiths and have crafted high quality weapons and armour with which to defend themselves. They usually live in clans of about 150 individuals which rule a certain section of the underworld.

With this entry the first volume is done, and I don't really remember anything about those guys so I can't add anything at all, other than they kind of sound like more civilized than usual Goblins. We go to the next volume, now, titled Creatures of Horror (I - J). It is entirely about giant insects, or so they would have us believe. It actually isn't.

INSECTS, or more particularly giant insects, are created from their smaller cousins by magic. They can quickly populate a large area with offspring which provide an excellent defense. Their qualities vary greatly from weak to strong. They will usually win through by weight of numbers alone. Below are a number of insects that have been discovered in their larger form. Beware as they tend to have special powers not seen in the smaller versions.

This volume is about the monsters we would face once inside the creepy caves. As you can surely see after such an introduction that stage will be somewhat reminiscent of The Tairyou Jigoku, only less japanese and less twisted, and less creepy, and less ewww.

ANTS tend to be found in the greatest numbers. They are the least dangerous and the easiest to dispatch as the transformation process weakens their exoskeleton. Their method of attack is to fire globs of acid from their tails. This acid is highly corrosive to non organic matter.

If my memory isn't screwing around with me we will kill, or at least face, legions upon legions of those little creeps before the game is over, and they are nothing too impressive or scary.

GIANT SPIDERS are extremely uncommon as the spider is highly resistant to growth magic. The spell rarely works but the results are astonishing and have an extreme effect. By far the biggest of the giant insects is the spider. They are very powerful and tough and are extremely poisonous and highly resistant to magic.

First and foremost, Spiders aren't bloody insects. They are arachnids, unholy beasts from the lower planes who know nothing but hate, malice, and cruelty. Second, I can't but smile at Giant Spiders being extremely uncommon. Thirdly,

1203742509_f.jpg

I want to go home. Please, let me go home.

GRUBS are very big and nasty creatures which have razor sharp mandibles and bone-crushing strength. They can survive a lot of damage but have a very low magical resistance. They look and move like a giant catterpillar.

Big, ugly, fat worms. We will kill them by the dozen. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't let them attack you from the flank or the rear. If you do you may get pretty hurt, however.

MOSQUITOS, while being mere pests in normal size, are incredibly dangerous in larger form. They attack by extending their probosci into the victim and draining his blood. They must be destroyed quickly after penetration as their poison soon leads to unconsciousness.

Those are quite the nuisance, as they are seemingly infinite and appear, in the caves, whenever and wherever they like as long as you aren't in a special room or facing a wall. If you can't kill one fast enough you are better reloading to the last tile they can't spawn into, given they are kind of poisonous and you will lose life constantly afterwards.

NYMPHS are huge, aquatic insects which jealously guard their underwater domain. They will viciously attack intruders with their jaws which are very powerful. Fortunately, their exoskeleton has been weakened by underwater life, making them easy targets.

I don't really remember those, though I have a vague idea of where in the caves they should be.

SCORPIONS are one of the more deadly insectivores, especially in giant form. They are very big and their tails are wickedly barbed. Whilst quite weak physically, they do increible amounts of poisonous damage. Fortunately, due to their huge bulk, they move very slowly and sometimes not at all.

This guy's either a boss or an enviromental danger we need to use against a boss, I reckon.

WASPS are very fast flying insects which attack quickly and then withdraw. Their sting is quite painful and sometimes poisonous. It is not unknown for giant wasps to have been imbued with some minor spells.

At least I pretty much doubt those wasps will trigger a death scene like the ones in those Blank Blood videos in youtube have. Jesus, I hate youtube.

WORMS are very large indeed but fortunately quite weak. Their soft bodies make good targets and their innate blindness means that combat is difficult for them. Beware, for a good blow from one of these creatures will fell the mightiest warrior.

An enviromental hazard that we will actually seek out and hunt. You can see where they will spawn as the floor of those tiles is marked. Once you get a real weapon they become a non issue, and a good way to get Experience if we need to cast a particular spell to solve a puzzle or something. I believe their number is limited, too, so once you clear their rooms you can actually rest here to recover power points and the like.

With such an entry is that the second volume comes to an end, though not a moment too soon. The third one is titled Creatures of Horror (M - Z) and leaves the Tairyou Jigoku stuffies behind for a glorious return to the world of supernatural monsters. I'm totally very glad.

MIMICS are mindless clones often used by spellcasters to impersonate another. However, under the magically created flesh is only a rotting corpse. Their strenght and constitution depends on the power of the magic user that created them. It has been known for some mimics to be completely invincible to normal damage. Mimics cannot cast spells of any sort and consequently have a high magical resistance. The most successful way to deal with them is to use magic to boos your physical self and attack normally.

I can remember only one of those, though maybe there are more somewhere. The one I remember, however, was so obviously a trap it was dead long before the transformation scene was over with. Dungeon crawlers aren't subtle enough for those guys to have a role, and a dungeon crawler where you very well know you will not rescue you-know-who until the very end even less so.

NECROMANCERS are humans who are psychically connected to the plane of spirits. If this power is developed from an early age by a powerful mage then the child will become a necromancer, gifted in the magic of the undead. A fully trained necromancer can cast many spells as well as summon vast hordes of undead from beyond the grave. These are formidable opponents indeed, as they have weapons brought from the plane of spirits. Beware especially their Dust of Death, which they can release at will. These deadly spores eat away a person from the inside if inhaled and they become a servant of evil forever.

Given there's a graveyard set, many different types of undead creatures, and several monsters that require the presence of a powerful magician to be summoned I would say we will come to face one of those sooner or later, too. Naturally, later is better. I kind of asume this guy will be the boss of the Graveyard's tunnels or something, though that's only an educated guess.

POLTERGEIST are free spirits who have been trapped in our plane by magic. They actually do what they want and cannot be controlled, but simply perform the same task as when they were alive. They have no attacking ability but they too cannot be attacked in any way.

This entry may be refering to the ghost like creature guarding the entrance to the library, but I do not know for certain.

SHAPESHIFTERS are some of the more powerful non-demonoid creatures. A shapeshifter can re-arrange its genetic structure at will and take on the form of another of roughly equal size. Its true form, however, is that of a huge serpent, its jaws dripping deadly poison. It attacks by spitting poison at its victim. Shapeshifters are also powerful magic users and can often be found at the head of a band of monsters. They are totally evil and stop at nothing in order to cause pain and death. It takes miutes for the poison to kill so prepare many potions before fighting these.

There's nothing I can say about those as I don't remember ever facing one.

SKELETONS are the bones of humans that have been re-animated. They are usually used only as guards and are quite easy to dispatch, being slow and fairly weak. Some have been known to have been imbued with minor magic. Beware, however, for they can regenerate themselves with time after being disable.

Respawning enemies? O, joy. Those I believe where common enemies under the graveyard set, though my memories of them, as always, are quite confusing and uncertain, and maybe I'm mixing it up with some other game.

VAMPIRES are split into two types, purestrain and hybrid. A pure vampire is the child of two vampires...

267.jpg

... while a hybrid is a vampire who has been infected by a purestrain.

Zero-vampire-knight-8694612-457-640.jpg

They appear as old fashioned humans with pronounced canines and pale skin. Purestrains are extremely dangerous, having few weaknesses and a powerful offensive capability. Hybrids are lesser vampires to their purestrain parents, having many more weaknesses. These often turn up in large groups or families to protect their creator. Most vampires hate holy items, sunlight, and garlic. All can cast at least some magic.

We already met one of those. I seem to remember there were more on the graveyard's church.

VAMPIRE BATS are not really vampiric in nature but are actually oversized bats with a taste for blood. THey have no magic and are very weak. However, their quick surprise attacks in large numbers have meant the end for many.

Those are kind of an enviromental danger on the graveyard set, when going through the path leading from the entrance to the church. The best thing to do is run as fast as you can so the chances of one of those actually spawning before you hit the chappel are really low.

WIGHTS are powerful guardians that live in the bodies they had in life. They have a freezing touch which can cause paralisis and extreme damage. They must stay in contact with their physical bodies at all times and spend most of the time 'sleeping' there. They are usually activated by the presence of life.

This is the monster who appeared when we tried looting the dead corpse under the blood stained sheet, the one in the big bedroom on the second floor. As no special way to dispose of it is mentioned we can asume we only need to find a real weapon and hack away, and we will put that theory to the test soon enough.

ZOMBIES are merely animated bodies. They are totally stupid, and unable to make decisions, and must follow simple instructions like a puppet on a string. They are usually quite tough and strong and can be magically protected by their controller.

I don't remember those, so I'll just asume the Necromancer has a bunch of those stored away somewhere. And with this the bestiary is kind of done, so we can finally move to other things. Next is the Humour section, the first two books of which are Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic and The Comedies of William Shakespeare. The third book, however, is important to us, titled The Study of Demonology, and both the game and myself wonder what the bleep is it doing in this section. Regardless, it goes about how to prepare a binding circle, for which we need human blood in which to draw it and a priest of pure heart to do so, as well as ten black candles that will go in the junctions of the paths of the star drawn inside the circle.

Once this has been done we can summon the demon we desire by means of spell, one form of which is mentioned to be the enchanted magic bag of tribal shamans, and then we will need to defeat it on a mental battle of some kind so it becomes subject to our will. Also, the process to banish a demon is mentioned as being quite similar: We make the circle as told, then make the demon enter the circle and intone the already mentioned spell of binding. Then we kick its butt back to the abyss and destroy the circle so it can't come back the way we sent it off.

I assume that's what must be done to Cerberus, one way or another. The next section is labeled as Films, and most of the books are about movies and movie studios. The only important thing there is a passing mention to a 30 feet tall puppet of a three headed dog that's going to be used in a Black Widow Productions' film. That's a huge lot of angry dog for us to defeat, I reckon. Another book also makes mentions of many other advanced puppets being used by Black Widow Productions films, so we can safely assume all those monsters and demons where actually part of the sets and became real afterwards, or something.

The last section is that of Medicine, the first book over there being a medical report about the work and theories of one Doctor Frankenstein. The next one is a book on chemistry and natural sciences that goes on and on about lightning bolts as a source of energy. You can, I hope, put one and one together and reach the only logical conclusion as to the reason behind such books being there in the first place.

Then we leave the library and return to the entrance hall, where we leave the balls and the cubes in case we later need them to go back into the library. Then we return to the main building and take the elevator to the second floor, where we take the two sheets of paper we saw on the notice boards of the computer room and the typing room. We then go down to the basement and into the boiler room, where we open our spellbook and prepare to work some magic!

cerberus001d.jpg

cerberus002d.jpg

cerberus003d.jpg

Or, like, maybe not. We need some more experience before we can prepare a fireball spell, so after some consideration we return to the ground floor and go straight to the graveyard set. Once inside we take a single step towards the gate and obtain the last bit of experience we needed to reach the next level.

cerberus004d.jpg

cerberus005d.jpg

Then we return to the basement and the boiler room, where we prepare our fireball spell and immediately cast it against the ice cube in the center of the room. The room is thus cleansed, and we can finally get the rod! Now we go back to the house, taking a fire extinguisher along the way. Once in the hall we leave both that and the rod there and then move into the dinning room. This time we actually open the window like thingie on the leftmost wall.

cerberus006d.jpg

cerberus007d.jpg

cerberus008d.jpg

cerberus009d.jpg

cerberus010d.jpg

Our character faints, sigh. When he recovers we discover we have been locked in some kind of pantry where many mutilated corpses have been stored. We go straight to the important stuff: We check them for valuables and steal the heavy leather biker boots one of them is wearing. Then we turn around to face the door, which is obviously locked. To the sides there are several things which will become useful later, like meat and wine and a piece of bread. There's also kind of a fire alarm system. And in case we still haven't figured how to get out of here Elvira will pop up and spell it for us, yay.

cerberus011d.jpg

cerberus012d.jpg

cerberus013d.jpg

First thing we do is to take a wine bottle, as we will be needing it later. Then we click on the icon of the sword, to the right of the interface, for the game to show not a list of our weapons, as I wrongly remembered before, but a list of the combat modes, of which there are four: Normal, defense, fierce, and berserk. Normal is just that, normal. Defense raises our defense and resistance but lowers our attack and damage. Fierce does the opposite. And Berserk does the same thing Fierce does, only much more markedly. We pick, naturally, Berserk, and then we save and use the other sheet of paper we got in the second floor to prepare a new fireball spell and then cast it against the door. The alarm goes off and we wait for our captor to come. He does so before long.

cerberus014d.jpg

cerberus015d.jpg

cerberus016d.jpg

First we let him kill us unimpeded so we can screenshot the death screen, but even with us in Berserk mode he needs half a dozen strikes to do us in. Then we reload and let him have a flurry of strikes, and even our smallish knife is more than enough to defeat the evil cook. Before leaving, however, I open my spellbook and prepare a Healing Hands spell, which requires no components. Given I have a kind of partial memory of something I want to try healing me with the spell, then wait around for a while. And, indeed, what I did remember was right: Our Power Points replenish by themselves over time, so we can use the spells that require no components as much as we want, as long as we don't mind doing something else while we wait for our magic reserves to refill themselves.

Beyond the door there's a small corridor with nothing but two doors and a staircase leading into the basement. For now we are better off ignoring the staircase and going into the door directly in front of us, which leads into the kitchen. Many things are there, from kitchen utensils to edible stuffies. Inside a tin we see a flask of glue, but leave it here for later. Inside a bucket there's a horseshoe, with which we do the same.

cerberus017d.jpg

cerberus018d.jpg

cerberus019d.jpg

It isn't until the fourth, and last, screen of the kitchen that things take a turn for the better. Our eyes meet, our souls touch, and we just understand each other without the need for words. As two halves of a single being, seemingly separated yet tied by the red string of fate, we are pulled irresistibly together. As we become one I believe I can hear the celestial choir announcing the start of the glorious purge our joining signifies.

cerberus020d.jpg

cleavermaid.jpg

A lady's best friend, indeed. Together we go down into the basement, where we find nothing but a small open cell, with some message, impossible for me to read, written on the right wall, and two doors to the sides. We ignore the rightmost door for now, as entering there at the wrong time can throw us into a pretty nasty dead end. Instead we go into the leftmost one, into a lab of some kind.

cerberus023d.jpg

cerberus024d.jpg

A quick inspection reveals there's a door behind the creature, though we are unable to reach it as long it is there. We are very careful not to touch anything not needed, given, again, we can throw ourselves into another dead end from which is impossible to get out. Therefore, and completely ignoring the creature, we turn left, where we find many, uhm, pieces. We take the jar with the brain, and then turn around. There we take a single test tube, and then we are ready to leave back to the kitchen.

cerberus025d.jpg

cerberus026d.jpg

cerberus027d.jpg

Once we are back there we prepare two more spells: Turn undead, the component of which is a brain, and Courage, the component of which is an alcoholic beverage of some kind, in this case the wine we took from the pantry. We then rest and wait until our power points reach 20, the amount we need to cast both the spells we have prepared just now. Before casting them, however, we go through the door not leading back into the basement and the pantry but into the corridor inhabited by that zombie like creature, only this time we are coming from the oposite direction. Before turning to face the place where the creature is we cast Courage so we do not pass out from fear once the creature appears. And, once it does, we cast Turn Undead on it. Good riddance, I say.

cerberus028d.jpg

cerberus029d.jpg

cerberus030d.jpg

Quickly, now, we run back to the hall, then upstairs and into the room haunted by the Succubus like thingie. The events happen just like before and our meatpuppet falls asleep, dreams of perverted stuff, then wokes up to discover there's a monster girl about to eat him. When she attacks this time, however, we do not die out of fear as we are still under the effects of Courage, and thus she leaves us unharmed. We leave get up and search the bed, finding a tunning fork under the pillow. Then we return to the hall and leave almost everything there.

cerberus031d.jpg

cerberus032d.jpg

We then pay the smiling head another visit, taking the chance to fill our test tube with its blood. Still quickly we go back to the hall, then to the upper floor, then to the big bedroom where the wight lives. Standing before the bed I make sure I am equiping my precious and then turn my combat mode into Berserk. Then we walk up to the corpse, uncover it without the least ceremony, and try to pull the pages out of its hand. The wight comes out, but before the animation can end we already banished him straight to the great beyond.

cleaverberserk.jpg

Have a nice trip, jerk. We now are free to take both the keys and the scripts, and as we do so a bunch of loose pages fall down. We take them via the room inventory and discover those aren't really part of the scrip but photographs showing some of the diferent costumes needed for the films! In such a way it becomes obvious purging the costume room from evil and then helping ourselves to its treasures is what we should do next.

cerberus033d.jpg

cerberus034d.jpg

cerberus035d.jpg

cerberus036d.jpg

Before doing so, though, we recover the tunning fork and the rod from the hall below and, then, take the ladder from the second floor's room we had seen it in. Thus armed we go into the attic, and use the tunning fork's really high note to break the window thingie up above. The vampire has no means of surviving against that, and assplodes. Then we use the ladder to reach the roof.

cerberus037d.jpg

cerberus038d.jpg

cerberus039d.jpg

cerberus040d.jpg

cerberus041d.jpg

For a moment I wonder where did the vampire killing sunlight went. Then, however, I decide it doesn't really matters and instead go put the rod thingy in its rightful place next to the chimney and return to the hall, where I again leave most things I don't need right now. Soon afterwards we go back to the main building's second floor and stop just outside the costume room so we can prepare and breath deeply before charging inside, which we do next. The hag tries to use her magic against me but by the time her first spell is about to be cast her hitpoints are already on the negative and the contents of her head all over the place. With those looks you were but a stain on the whole of witchdom, I reckon.

cerberus042d.jpg

cerberus043d.jpg

cerberus044d.jpg

cerberus045d.jpg

cerberus046d.jpg

cerberus047d.jpg

cleavergirl.jpg

And thus this update comes to an end. Next time we meet we will finish most, if not all, of the things to be done in the haunted house (as I can't find anything to do in the fiery room no matter how many times I enter and look around under the effects of Resist Fire, so either there isn't anything or I'm bleeping blind) and, in order to level enough to do so, we will also begin our exploration of the creepy caves, where many ugly things with more legs than should be legal will find themselves both outplayed and outgunned by our, say, cleaverness.

Now unto the quotes...

Mirror-Kun said:

Wow, Mirror-Kun stoped being mean and completely ignoring me! I'm so happy!

Sceptic said:
Another entertaining LP even if I don't like the game.

I hope I can somehow manage it in such a way you'll like the Let's Play thingie even if not the game.

Mrowak said:
Black Cat, this is slowly getting predictable. Your update is awesome as usual. Great work.

Thank you!

Mrowak said:
fix'd for you, witch :smug:

That's all kinds of amazing, I reckon. You actually made me LOL there. :salute:

Crooked Bee said:

There you go.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Black Cat said:
I hope I can somehow manage it in such a way you'll like the Let's Play thingie even if not the game.
That's the best thing about good LP's: they're so much more fun than the real thing. This one, as all your others, is solid gold so far :salute:

BTW, do be careful mixing up that Fireball spell. One of the reagants is... I can't remember for sure, but I think it's a box of matches. Which also happens to be an item you need to solve a puzzle at the very end. I hope that's not what you just used to mix the spell...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
"Colour of Magic" is the hint about copper rod and you destroyed the only ghoul in the game! Good work. Also you may use curling iron to warm thermosensor.

BTW, Brainboost and high level (i.e. high int) is your best friends in the spellcasting. Hoard all components, wait until 6 level, mix Brainboost, cast it and when start to mixing component. You may already know it, but it's better be safe than sorry. And this hint only about game mechanic :M.

The only book, an untitled and anonimous autobiography that reads nothing like an autobiography, is just there for LULZ, though some passages are quite Codexian in nature.
Indeed, it was my first thought too.

Crooked Bee

Patron
It's so awesome I don't even know what to comment on it. So, uhm, AWESUM!, yeah! A cleaver girl indeed. :roll:

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the fourth; Cosplaying for fun and profit.
In which our heroine cosplays as Doctor Frankenstein's assistant, explores the first level of the creepy caves, summons as storms, makes some obscure occultish references, steals the brain and scalp of the good doctor's monster, kills a Mimic, recovers the magic indian bag the underground shaman needs, visits the local church, uncovers the entrance to the catacombs under the church, and prepares to purge the creepy caves of their ugly and creepy ruler and all of her ugly and creepy minions, once and for all.

With our defeat of the hag we have gained access to the costume room, but quite dark it is in here. This is the kind of puzzle that can get you stumped not because it's difficult but because of how simple and natural it really is, as all we need to do is to turn around so we face the door and hit the light switch. Now we turn around again to see what we came here for: The costumes needed for those roles we did find illustrated along the scripts. The hag's eye is also there, and we can use it for a fear spell though I never used it so I don't know if it will be important later on, or at least worth casting. For now we just take the lab coat and leave.

cerberus001e.jpg

We enter the door just across the corridor, the one to the make up room. There we get the wig on the rightmost head at the lower shelf, then move to the mirror next to the chest and both leave there the three pages with the costume photographs and take the glasses, the fake moustache, the big teeths, and the fake eyebrows. We wear it all and, voila!

cerberus002e.jpg

Now we return to the haunted house set, and once there we go straight to the basement. Remember the door to the right of the staircase, the one I mentioned before along with a warning not to enter there yet? I hope this is when we have to enter, otherwise I'll get to replay a lot of the game later on. Inside we find who I asume to be Doctor Frankenstein himself, and if we bother him too much he will just kick us out and lock the door, again throwing us into a dead end. Instead we talk to him. Or, in any case, to his back.

cerberus003e.jpg

Hello Cedric. What can I do for you?

First I ask him if I can be of any help, to get on his good side. At least I remember him being a jerk and telling us he was too busy to mix the stuff we need if I did not offer me to help first, some times.

No, thank you.

The dialogue ends, and we start it again. He again asks what he can do for us, and this time I ask him to mix a formula for me.

What do you want me to mix?

A powerful poison.

I'll need the formula. Is that it? I'll mix it for you now.

I kind of forgot to tell about it before, but you should not come here before getting the formula from inside the reference book on poisons, and make sure you are carrying it with you when you come here.

Don't waste any more of my time. Get out.

And so Doctor Frankenstein kicks us out, yay. But at least we have the poison, so we go back into the pantry, pick the big piece of meat we saw there before, and then go to the study. We use the poison and the game will show us a list of the food we have and ask us in which one we want to use it. We use it on the meat and then throw the meat to the fishes. After a while we try to pick the key, and this time nothing eats our hand. Ah, yes, and along the way we took the helmet and gauntlet from the armor just outside.

cerberus004e.jpg

cerberus005e.jpg

Close examination reveals it is the type of key that usually belongs to security devices and wall safes, so we begin looking for one. The portrait of the military guy can't be interacted with, so we leave that one alone. We turn left and there's a painting of a duck, which we remove. There's only wall in here! So I leave an remove every single painting on the house to no avail. As I'm doing so I have a smallish eureka! moment so afterwards I return and click on the empty wall, which was just a cover for the safe! We use the key on it and then turn the lever like thingie, and inside there's some indian pipe thingie we loot.

cerberus006e.jpg

We go back to the upper floor and both remove our costume and leave all the parts in their rightful places, then we visit the reception and leave the pipe on the desk there, which i'll be using to store the main quest items, and later we return to the guard house outside and get both the police jacket and all the paper thingies on the notice board. We also get the biker boots we left on the house hall and then go into studio the first, because I need to level up twice before being able to use the summon storm spell.

cerberus007e.jpg

Some explanation are due. I brought the paper thingies so I could cast fireballs on demand, given I remember some passages being blocked by spiderwebs that could only be destroyed by means of fireballs. However, I did discover they can also be destroyed by the basic ice dart spell, so I'll be using that instead. The rest of the items, being the helmet, the gauntlet, the jacket, and the boots i just brought in case wearing them would do something nice to my protection, but they didn't do anything noticeable so, like, screw them.

Once inside the caves the first thing we come across is some kind of elevator. To the side there's a panel with an on/off switch, the buttons to call the elevator, and a keyhole. We call the elevator and it goes from the fourth floor, in which it was, to the first one, in which we are. I try to enter it but the gates are locked, explaining what's the keyhole there for. I try all my keys on it to no avail. Bummer.

cerberus008e.jpg

cerberus009e.jpg

So we return to the cave and keep going. Soon we come across those Grubs the book on monsters mentioned, but they are actually pretty easy as long as Dosbox isn't lagging, and we only need to strike them twice with our berserk cleaver to purge their unholy presence. Or, at most, three hits. Therefore, as long as you are looking in their direction it is actually easy to slaughter through veritable swarms of these guys, as in some corridors we will have to kill from three to five, or even six, one after the other. In crossroads and turns, however, always take enough time to either get a motion sensor reading or turn really fast. If they get you from the side or the rear they can kill you, if they aimed for the head or chest, or screw one of your limbs in just one strike.

cerberus010e.jpg

As with most dungeons I will not be mapping this one but just kind of placing my left hand on it's corresponding wall and following it's lead until we are back at the entrance. Every now and then we come across a kind of huge web that gets me anxious and also blocks our way. We can destroy them, as I mentioned already, with the Ice Dart spell, but as I prefer to be methodical and systematic I only destroy them after getting back to the entrance once, so if i'm my first journey into the cave I find a web I will not destroy it until my second journey into the cave, and any web I find then I will not destroy until the third one, at least. Usually I only destroy one new web each journey, though every now and then I destroy two or more. All of this I do because every time you destroy a web the follow the left wall route is change and some times it can create small loops or multiple entrance areas you can't get into any more by following the left wall, so this way you can both detect when it is probably going to happen and also be quite sure you already looted all the rooms in those areas now outside the route.

In any case, we soon come across two webs, not far from the entrance, and then some kind of cave. Inside we find some kind of big room, and along the room's walls some really big mushrooms and some colorful crystals grow. As you can see in the screenshots some tiles have a circular marking on the floor, and those are tiles from which a huge worm will come out when we try to step on them. Those don't respawn or anything: If you walk to a corner of the room and then make sure of steping in each and every tile you will kill all the worms, get all the experience, and then leave behind a cleared room in which to recover MP and to help you navigate.

cerberus011e.jpg

cerberus014e.jpg

cerberus015e.jpg

cerberus016e.jpg

cerberus017e.jpg

Worms are slow but quite strong, though again you can berserk cleave them before they get their first attack given you only need three hits to murder them and they give you enough time for five if club the left mouse button fast enough. After clearing this room of all its inhabitants we prepare an Ice Dart spell.

Ice Dart

Level: 1.

Cost: 4pp.

Ingredients: None.

Effect: When cast projects a shard of ice at target, causing low damage.

It's damage is shameful even in from a damage for invested power point of view, but given it needs no reagents and I get really anxious when having to use something I may need later for a puzzle I'll be using it a whole lot, even to kill one or two bosses, though one of them completely by accident. Then we return to the tunnels and after a short while we are back at the entrance, thus we turn back and enter the tunnels for the second time. Or at least prepare to, given I decide to check my spellbook again and notice another spell that may be of use and requires no reagents.

Unseen Shield

Level: 1.

Cost: 3pp.

Ingredients: None.

Effect: The air around the caster solidifies into a shield which deflects some ranged attacks and combat damage.

I don't really know how useful it may be, but from now on there's not a single time i'm without it while inside a dungeon. Now we return inside and get to the first web tile uninpeded, and use one of our Ice Darts to destroy it.

cerberus018e.jpg

Then we are rush by three more Grubs or something, but kill them without the least effort and keep going deeper into this horrible place. After some wandering we come across another cave, different from the one with the worms given this isn't an actual room but just a screen with a red mushroom and an endless rush of red ants and some larva like thingies. We kill them until we can interact with the mushroom, then steal the mushroom and run away. I couldn't take a good screenshot of the ants but don't worry, those will appear by the hundreds on the next level.

cerberus019e.jpg

On the tunnels, though I had not been able to take a screenshot before, we also come across the Mosquitos, which are as bothersome as I remember them: Most of the time you kill them in just two strikes, but some times the game stops registering your hits for a short while and they can actually bite you. Given I do not remember what the bleeping bleep I had to use to make an antidote spell we reload when this happen, yay. Given the many things that use poison on this dungeon we will be reloading a whole lot. I'm so happy. Extatic, even.

cerberus020e.jpg

Being poisoned means you will lose life on a given body part until that bodypart reachs zero, then you'll either die or the poison will start eating away at the next one. It's kind of a bother, but nothing we can't berserk cleaver through. After some more wandering of the caves and the cleansing of two or three other worm nests we come across a huge tunnel that seems to go kind of up. This is the entrance to the second level, but we don't want to go there yet so we turn back. In any case, we do several more round trips on this first level and, along with many more worm nests we loot of all crystals, mushrooms, and exp we also come across a couple of special looking rooms. One of those has a waterfall.

cerberus021e.jpg

cerberus022e.jpg

And the other one, which given it's position may be just the same one from the other side of the lake or something, allows us to enter the water if we so want. We save and do so, mostly because I believe this to be the only one time in the game we can actually drown ourselves.

cerberus023e.jpg

cerberus024e.jpg

cerberus025e.jpg

cerberus026e.jpg

cerberus027e.jpg

Also, as we can't look up we can't actually notice this isn't really a big room but a shaft going all the way up, with many corridors opening to it in every level and stuff. Later we can even manage to fall in one of those really pointy stones there, if we try hard enough. For now, however, we return to the entrance and notice we are already high level enough to cast the summon storm spell, so we return to the haunted house set, take the barometer we saw before, and get up the roof. There we use the barometer to prepare the summon storm spell and cast it. Let us adore the lord and king of fire! Tetragrammaton Tzabaoth!

cerberus028e.jpg

cerberus029e.jpg

cerberus030e.jpg

That did work pretty well, I reckon. Now we return to the basement as fast as we can, though stoping in the hall long enough to recover the wire cutters we had left here earlier, and enter the leftmost door, the one leading to Doctor Frankenstein little pet project. Thanks to the lightning strike we summoned the machine is charged and ready, so we raise the rightmost lever to it's highest position and then flick the leftmost switch, previous saving. Elvira decides to appear and comment, once again. Then the creature starts advancing towards us. If we let him he will behead us with his very hands, yikes!

cerberus031e.jpg

cerberus032e.jpg

cerberus033e.jpg

cerberus034e.jpg

So we reload, flick the switch, wait until the monster is almost above us, and cut the wires. Then, as a last screw you we take his metal head band, his scalp, and his brain. Screw you, indeed! Given we waited long enough before cutting the wires he has gotten far enough from the door for us to now be able to open it and enter the next room... And find Elvira, waiting to be rescued even when we haven't done more than a third of the game, at most! Surely, I reckon, this will not be a mimic trying to fool us or anything like that. :roll:

cerberus035e.jpg

cerberus036e.jpg

We advance towards her, then she starts transforming... What a tweest! Before the transformation is over, however, the creature already got more than enough berserk cleaver for it to go looking for the greener pastures of the great beyond. Then Elvira decides to throw another one of her comments.

cerberus037e.jpg

cerberus038e.jpg

cerberus039e.jpg

Get over here quickly. This Demon's handle is getting too hot... er, I mean, is getting too hot to handle.

:roll:

So we look around the room and find a indian bag thingie, which must be one of those items we needed to get for the shaman guy in the basement. We take it and leave it in the reception desk, next to the pipe thingie. Then we also turn the female bathroom in our storage area, given there's so little to interact with in there that it becomes quite easy to quickly drop and take stuffies. As we left he basement, however, we also got the heart and another empty test tube from the lab. Now we go into studio the third, and run across the open ground so we get to the church before the bats spawn.

cerberus040e.jpg

cerberus041e.jpg

That's very useful to know, Elvira. Thank you. In any case, we are now in a smallish chappel. On one side of the room there's a pulpit and an altar with a cover, a cross, and some candles. In the pulpit there's a prayer book with a dedication from the parishioners to the local priest. We take it and then move the pulpit to the other side of the room, discovering a trapdoor beneath. Elvira, again, decides to get talkative.

cerberus042e.jpg

cerberus043e.jpg

cerberus044e.jpg

You'll need both brain and brawn to survive and I can't believe you have enough of either.

:roll: Then why don't you go and rescue yourself, o mighty mistress of the night? Ignoring her we turn around to search the other half of the church, where many wooden pews, a locked door, a holy water basin, and a very dead priest are to be found. Close examination reveals some of the priest's organs have been removed, and given we have an item of great value to him and are inside a place of religion it is quite obvious what will transpire here, sooner or later. Given that he can be considered to be the skin I decide to try and cast the revival spell, but I need to be level ten for it to even tell me if the ingredients are right, so I leave those things next to his body, fill my test tube with holy water, and leave back to the main building.

cerberus045e.jpg

Once there we return to the haunted house set, go straight to the kitchen, get a flask full of, uhm, rather green thingies, and use it as reagent, given the contents seem to be somewhat edible, for a breath underwater spell. Then we leave the set, go across the corridor and into set the first, and save...

cerberus046e.jpg

... for there will our current update end. Next time we meet our heroine will have to cleave her way through the armies of the hell of swarms so as to attend the duel to end all duels, at the highest point of the central shaft! Cuteness will face against creepiness and fluffy charm will face against vile malice as Kasha and Kumo battle it out to decide who will return to the hellish deeps! Also, our heroine will kill a boss with two castings of Ice Dart by mistake and while fooling around, and she will discover even for a witch a bare minimun of technologist lore is needed to solve puzzles.

'til next time!

Now, unto the quotes we go...

Crooked Bee said:
So, uhm, AWESUM!, yeah! A cleaver girl indeed.
Sceptic said:
This one, as all your others, is solid gold so far :salute:

Thank you. :3

Sceptic said:
BTW, do be careful mixing up that Fireball spell. One of the reagants is... I can't remember for sure, but I think it's a box of matches.

I only use sheets of paper and the like for the Fireball spell, given i'm too scared to waste something needed for a puzzle as a reagent and then hit a dead end later on.

Fowyr said:
BTW, Brainboost and high level (i.e. high int) is your best friends in the spellcasting. Hoard all components, wait until 6 level, mix Brainboost, cast it and when start to mixing component. You may already know it, but it's better be safe than sorry. And this hint only about game mechanic :M.

That's actually a good idea, indeed, though I lack the meta knowledge to actually put it into practice given I do not really know where most reagents are and currently, given the Let's Play is about one update behind my current position on the game, I'm already as far as I had gone before, or almost given I did things in a diferent order this time so I am about to enter the catacombs for the first time, so I can't go in a fast scavenging trip, cast Brainboost, and start mixing spells without running the risk of actually forgetting something.

Fowyr said:
"Colour of Magic" is the hint about copper rod and you destroyed the only ghoul in the game! Good work. Also you may use curling iron to warm thermosensor.

Oh, so that's what the cook was? It kind of makes sense, given the kind of stuff he used as ingredients. And I had completely forgotten about the curling iron until you mentioned it. For our readers I'll say that, indeed, this game has some puzzles with multiple solutions.

It seems even adventure games have gone full :decline: recently.

Kz3r0 said:

That's so awesome. :lol:

lightbane

Arcane
So, stupid question: Can you eat the poisoned food?
I know it's stupid, but gotta catch all of the possible death scenes... Also, can you kill Doc Frankestein?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Given I do not remember what the bleeping bleep I had to use to make an antidote spell we reload when this happen, yay.
Many substances in the chem labs are poisonous. Second source for Antidote components is more obvious and you already found it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
You're a true dungeon cat, BC! :salute:
(Black blends well with dungeon walls, doesn't it?)

While we're all numbers, here's some love from no. 11623:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom