Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Roll Over the Untermenschen in Panzer General!COMPLETE

Which should be the next campaign I play?

• Soviet Campaign in Allied General

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1943 West Panzer General

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heil, glorious Codex! Today we shall be beginning one of the TBS classics: Panzer General. In the name of the Reich we will (hopefully) conquer Poland, Norway, the Low Countries, France, England, the USSR, and finally invade America itself. If we fail to achieve a major victory in France, we may also have to take either the Balkans or go into North Africa and the Middle East.

For my first LP, I had wanted to do a solo wild mage BG2 runthrough, but then we had two excellent BG LPs so now I give you games of strategy instead of roleplaying.

Also if this LP is a success I may make one of some Allied General campaigns, too. At least the Russian one (as it is ridiculously difficult).

Anyways, let's fire this bro up:

panzer_000.png

panzer_001.png

panzer_002.png

panzer_003.png

Playing on hard cuz we ain't no bitch

panzer_004.png

Doing the 39 campaign, gotta forge our own destiny

panzer_005.png

Sounds easy, just need to run and gun some silly Polacks.

panzer_006.png

panzer_007.png

And here we are, the game screen. For some reason I decided to move a guy before taking the first screenshot (our infantry guy in the north). Anyways, the basics of this game are pretty simple, move along hexes, each unit has a set movement and spotting. Running into an enemy that you havent spotted yet while moving will give them a big bonus to fighting you, so moving ahead carefully (but not slowly!) is important. So yeah with that first move I was just talking about we uncovered this cavalry guy to the north that you can barely see.

panzer_008.png

We move our other infantry guy up there and attack the sunvabitch.

Here I guess is a good place to explain the combat. Combat is based on a number of things, especially unit type. Attack scores are broken up into 4 different scores: soft attack, hard attack, air attack, and naval attack. Soft and hard attack are what concerns land battles. Every unit is either a “soft” target (e.g. infantry, most artillery, etc) or a “hard” target (tanks, recon, etc). Thus, when fighting a battle, your troops only use the attack they have for the enemy's unit type. Since this first attack is infantry against cavalry (which count as infantry in this game), both will be using their soft attack.

Hard and soft types are also important for city-based combat, where infantry get nice bonuses against hard units, meaning infantry are pretty necessary. Also, infantry are better in forests and rough terrain. The game really forces you into a combined arms strategy of infantry, tanks, planes, and artillery.

Units also have defense scores, ground defense and air defense are split up. This also goes into combat considerations.

Initiative is an incredibly important score, because it determines who will fire first in combat. Tanks especially have very high initiative scores.

Now about entrenchment. A unit gets entrenched for not moving, and his entrenchment will increase for every turn he stays in the same hex. Certain hexes, like fortifications, increase entrenchment. Getting attacked (by any source, land, sea, air, artillery) will lower entrenchment. The main advantage to entrenchment is that your unit fights better (especially important is increased initiative) and has a higher chance of getting “rugged defense”...which basically means the unit takes little damage and deals out a ton during the attack.

Finally to actual combat. In combat the first thing that will be decided is initiative (there are 3 possible outcomes: one of the two goes first, or they both go at the same time). When this happens, 2 things can happen: part of the unit can be killed, and the unit can be suppressed (or of course, nothing at all could happen). Suppression basically means no casualties are taken (the unit's strength doesn't decrease), but those guys are done for the current fight. If a unit's strength goes to 0, he dies, if his strength minus his suppression is 0 (or less...i don't think it can be less but I'll just cover my ass in case) he will retreat in the opposite direction he was attacked from. If there is nowhere to retreat, he will surrender (die).

Notice that on the bottom of the screen it tells us the expected outcome of the upcoming fight. Supposedly we should lose 3 and the enemy should lose 6. These predicted outcomes are not something you should have a lot of faith in. They do help you to notice if you will overpower or get overpowered by someone, but most of the time they are just general ideas of how the fight is going to go, and we will see me rage many a time throughout the course of this LP when the outcome is nowhere near what was expected. Anyhow let us press the attack!

panzer_009.png

So basically, we went first, killed 6 of his guys and suppressed 4, so the cavalry retreated. The natural reaction to seeing this is “fuck year, we wrecked them!” but this actually wasn't the most desirable outcome. Because the cavalry retreated, they will be able to take replacements on their turn, and be back to 10 combat strength for just a bit of prestige (basically money). Had he not retreated, he would not have been able to take full replacements, and would likely have spent his turn retreating or taking just a couple replacements.

Anyways, it was a good enough outcome that I'm certainly not complaining.

panzer_010.png

Now we shall take on the other cavalry, this time using our glorious panzers. We start with a IID

panzer_011.png

The expected outcome occurred! Now let's get'em with some infantry.

panzer_012.png

Beat the shit out of them!

panzer_013.png

Moving some guys up. Note we put the artillery in a truck, because otherwise it can only move 1 hex per turn, which is fucking balls. Because we moved in the truck, he ends the turn in the truck, which can be dangerous. If I hadn't played this map about 5 million times I probably wouldn't have put him up there, undefended, in the forest. But I have, so I know he'll be fine.

panzer_014.png

Moving our guys to the south.

panzer_015.png

OK, we can't move anyone else. Time to buy some shit.

panzer_016.png

Note, along the right side, you can see all the stats I was talking about earlier. Note I forgot to talk about close defense, which is basically just how well a tank can defend in the forest and places like that. Also here you can see ammo and fuel, but we won't have to deal with that until the next scenario, because this one is fucking small.

Anyways we buy this delicious Panzer IIIE. He immediately becomes our best tank.

panzer_017.png

We also buy another artillery for our southern attack group, and are now broke. Time to end that turn.

panzer_018.png

OK, well we didn't get attacked at all so our turn begins again with all our troops just like they were at the end of last turn.

panzer_019.png

NOTE: for a little while I forgot to take start of turn screenshots cuz I'm a dumbass. Anyways, here you can see his cavalry replaced to a 10.

Here we move our tank next to the one hex around the city we couldn't see, and lo we find an artillery! Note that if we attack his infantry in the city while the artillery is behind him, the artillery will get a free attack on our unit before we get to attack. Time to fuck him up.

panzer_020.png

Here's our first in a long line of rugged defenses.

panzer_021.png

Wasn't too bad, 1-1, but it sure would have been nice to actually fucking hurt that arty. Anyways let's see how this infantry does.

panzer_022.png

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

panzer_023.png

OK, well again that wasn't so terrible in actuality. We killed 3, he killed 4. But we're still kinda fucked if we want to attack that city this turn. Note that by expected outcomes that artillery should be a 2 =(

Anyways, since we aren't going to be attacking the city with infantry this turn, let's F this cavalry up for lolz.

panzer_024.png

Pretty good outcome.

panzer_025.png

Time to do some arty

panzer_026.png

Got what was expected. Moving infantry up in front of our arty because there's a chance he kicks our infantry next to the city away from it, which would mean he could buy some new units there (no unit buying at cities that have enemy units next to them).

panzer_027.png

Move all our guys down at the bottom up some. We actually did encounter an enemy. There's a cavalry to the south of that city that you can't really see at the northeast. Not a big deal though.

We end our turn.

panzer_028.png

Cowardly Poles don't attack yet again.

panzer_029.png

Again forgetting to take an intro screenie, but you can basically see how it went. He moved his cavalry away to that city in the northwest, and his artillery back. Let's see if his artillery can get any more rugged defenses.

panzer_030.png

No, but we still did really shitty.

panzer_031.png

panzer_032.png

Attack with our arty, moving him north in a truck.

panzer_033.png

panzer_034.png

panzer_035.png

Kalisz is ours!

panzer_036.png

Scouting ahead with our tanks we see the first of the 2 objective cities. Once we capture both of these cities we win the scenario. If we capture them super fast (by turn 8 I think), we get a major victory, which sometimes unlocks different next maps, and always earns you more prestige.

panzer_037.png

Here's my first “as it looks at the start of the turn” for the southern part.

panzer_038.png

We use our shitty Panzer IA on the cavalry

panzer_039.png

Going kinda reckless for no good reasong against this cavalry.

panzer_040.png

Probably not a great idea. We keep moving our other guys up.

panzer_041.png

I forgot to take the screenshot of AXIS TURN WHATEVER. Anyways this is the start of the new turn.

panzer_042.png

panzer_043.png

Fucked his shitty little tankette up with our IIIE

panzer_044.png

So I made a huge fucking mistake here. For some reason I moved my artillery up there, thinking that my tank's zone of control would stop his cavalry from doing anything to the artillery, forgetting that their movement isn't really fucked up too much by swamp.

panzer_045.png

The south.

panzer_046.png

panzer_047.png

panzer_048.png

panzer_049.png

Trololo

panzer_050.png

Actually not that bad.

panzer_051.png

Godfuckingdamnit

panzer_052.png

:rage:

panzer_053.png

Not being able to kill that guy with our infantry means we have to divert our tank to finishing him off, leaving the cavalry up there to get replacements.

panzer_054.png

panzer_056.png

So here I decide to give this unit replacements. It might have been a better idea to just move him next to those faggy cavalry, but hey.

Note you can give a unit replacements or “E(lite) replacements”. Basically, E-replacements cost more, but you don't lose experience for them. Since they cost so little for infantry anyways, even though this guy only has a little bit of XP, we're still giving him the E's.

panzer_057.png

Allied turn. He is merciless on me for my mistake.

panzer_058.png

Ouch. That's all he does though on the attacking front. Time to beat their kielbasas.

panzer_059.png

panzer_060.png

panzer_061.png

Yes, we did attack his artillery with our tank. Did nothing.

panzer_062.png

panzer_063.png

panzer_064.png

panzer_065.png

panzer_066.png

Move our tank and infantry up to protect our arty

panzer_067.png

panzer_068.png

panzer_070.png

panzer_071.png

panzer_072.png

panzer_073.png

Jesus Christ

panzer_074.png

Yep, we pushed him back with the rugged defense, then moved into the city with our 7 strength infantry, attacked, and did....0 damage?

ASLKDJFHSAFDEWQYRIUASDCASDC :x

At least we didn't do any suppression either, but still. Anyways, that's the end of our turn

panzer_075.png

He attacked our infantry next to his city and kinda shit on him.

panzer_076.png

OH HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED FUCKER

panzer_077.png

Lol killed 7 of his guys. :thumbsup:

panzer_078.png

WHAT THE FUCK HE KILLED 4 IIIE'S WITH HIS 75MM ARTILLERY

Anyways, this is how the maps looks on the next turn.

panzer_079.png

panzer_081.png

Remember when I said our IIIE would be our best tank? Apparently I fucking lied, can't kill a single part of a fucking artillery.

Also where I retreated with the IIIE was a retarded place. We shall see why that bites us in the ass later.

panzer_082.png

panzer_083.png

God...are you...fucking...bullshit

In retrospect it was dumb to take the chance that that could happen. But we still should have killed that fucking invincible artillery.

panzer_084.png

I probably should have just said fuck him, since he's on a river let him take replacements. But I was pretty angry at this point and wanted to let him know who the fucking boss was.

panzer_085.png

panzer_086.png

Note, had we moved our IIIE to a better place, we could have put our arty there, putting him in striking distance of the city.

panzer_087.png

panzer_088.png

panzer_089.png

panzer_090.png

panzer_091.png

The southern front. Looks pretty silly.

panzer_092.png

I forgot where his cavalry went, so I'll just kill his infantry.

panzer_093.png

You've got to be fucking shitting me

panzer_094.png

Nope

This is our position at the end of the turn

panzer_095.png

His cavalry attacked us, did shitty, and then ran away like a bitch

panzer_096.png

panzer_097.png

panzer_098.png

panzer_099.png

panzer_100.png

panzer_101.png

His tankette burns in the hellfire of the IIIE

panzer_102.png

panzer_103.png

panzer_104.png

panzer_105.png

panzer_106.png

panzer_107.png

Really, we didn't kill him? Ah whatever we've knocked him out of the city, now we can win whenever we want.

At this point I quite simply had a complete brainfart, and just moved my guy into the city, instantly winning the campaign for us, when we actually had a whole turn left to go before I had to take it for a major victory. This means our troops don't get to spend that time killing Poles and gaining XP, and we don't get as much prestige as we would have had we taken more minor cities.

panzer_108.png

Oh boy!

So overall, our first scenario could have gone better. I made a few mistakes that I probably won't make as I play more, especially taking the last target city so soon. Still, we got a major victory and didn't lose any units, so this certainly wasn't a total failure. We should still have enough prestige to buy 3 fighters and 2 stukas in Warsaw, so all is good.

Next time, we go deeper into Polish territory, showing them that interesting and well-done combat mechanics beat retarded QTE combat.

Infantryman

Scholar
:salute:

Magnificent game! And PG2 was its worthy successor, pretty rare thing in game industry. You think you can win everything with major victory? Meh, and fighting Pollacks is more of a tutorial here.

chzr

Scholar
glad to see this being lp'd :thumbsup:

also, i'd like to volunteer as a fighter pilot :smug:

Cassidy

Arcane
Re: Let's Roll Over the Untermenschen in Panzer General!

Dajaaj said:
Heil, glorious Codex! Today we shall be beginning one of the TBS classics: Panzer General. In the name of the Reich we will (hopefully) conquer Poland, Norway, the Low Countries, France, England, the USSR, and finally invade America itself.

clevemensch.jpg

Also thanks to this thread I finally managed to install properly a Spanish Civil War mod for Allied General.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Siege of Warsaw

Alright, so after steamrolling those Polish Jews in the first mission, we get to go to Warsaw and do it all over again.

Actually I consider this mission even easier than the first one. We have a lot more time to take the cities than we need, and this time we get to use the Luftwaffe.

panzer_000.png

OBJECTIVES: 3 cities, Warsaw, Siedice, and Modlin.
MAJOR VICTORY BEFORE: turn 14

panzer_001.png

So here we get to, for the first time, place our units before the battle. This is one of the most important aspects of the game, and later on (especially in Russia), we will be doing things like creating 3 balanced army groups each with its own artillery, group of tanks, light infantry, and heavy infantry. But for now we are just going to keep it simple.

panzer_005.png

panzer_006.png

We place most of our tanks on our southern side, as that is where most of the open terrain is.

We also put our most experienced infantry without a truck on the airfield, because we are going to airlift him to the enemy's airfield and get a quick refueling place for our planes (which we'll buy at the end of the turn).

panzer_015.png

Our panzer IA got ridiculously lucky here. There's almost no way he should get 6 killed, 4 suppressed on pretty much anything.

panzer_016.png

panzer_017.png

panzer_018.png

panzer_019.png

panzer_020.png

panzer_021.png

panzer_022.png

We did pretty well so far (would have liked to not take so many casualties for that infantry guy, but it's not a big deal. Anyways, it's time to buy our planes.

panzer_023.png

The Messerschidmt BF109Es are pretty much the best plane in the early game. Only the British Spitfire II can match them, and we won't face those in significant numbers until Operation Sealion.

panzer_024.png

Stukas are likewise the best tactical bomber in the early game (and honestly pretty much throughout the entire time at actually bombing targets, though the British Mosquitoes are much more well-rounded).

panzer_025.png

This is how the game looks at the end of turn 1.

panzer_026.png

He attacks our IID with his actually good tank.

panzer_027.png

panzer_028.png

As you can see, his tank kinda wrecked ours, and he flew his shitty Polish fighter over our tank (but didn't attack for some reason...he probably wouldn't have done anything, but there still wasn't a good reason to not attack).

panzer_029.png

panzer_030.png

Our Messerschmidts absolutely demolish his fighter (note we surround him in this particular fashion so that if he lives through the attacks, the zones of control will make it so that he can't actually go anywhere.

panzer_031.png

panzer_032.png

panzer_033.png

Stukas didn't actually do all that well, but whatever.

panzer_034.png

panzer_035.png

We were fortunate this attack did no suppression, otherwise I would have been kicking myself.

panzer_036.png

panzer_037.png

panzer_038.png

panzer_039.png

panzer_040.png

panzer_041.png

panzer_042.png

panzer_043.png

panzer_044.png

We start moving towards the north city.

panzer_045.png

Poles do nothing during their turn.

panzer_046.png

Southern flank looks pretty good.

panzer_047.png

Oh look he bought a new shitty fighter. Good XP for our fighters (PROTIP: Fighters are the single most important unit in the game, and getting them as much XP as possible is almost always recommended).

panzer_048.png

Man he got pretty lucky there, that almost never happens. The main reason he was able to get first attack there is because, when you play on hard, the AI can buy new units that already have experience. Thus, even his shitty Polish fighter can be somewhat of a threat.

panzer_049.png

Still handled with ease and we take the airfield.

panzer_050.png

But we aren't going to be able to take that target city with just one infantry unit, so we're going to bomb the shit out of this guy.

panzer_051.png

panzer_052.png

Went on the river, meaning he is much easier to kill.

panzer_053.png

panzer_054.png

panzer_055.png

panzer_056.png

panzer_057.png

panzer_058.png

We give our hurt infantry the E's

panzer_059.png

panzer_060.png

He didn't attack at all.

panzer_061.png

He bought some guys on the river. This is a dream come true for us, because ground units on the river are perfect targets for fighters, so we should get some extra XP.

panzer_062.png

But first let's take this city.

panzer_063.png

panzer_064.png

Great success, time to strafe some nigs

panzer_065.png

panzer_066.png

panzer_067.png

panzer_068.png

panzer_069.png

panzer_070.png

panzer_071.png

panzer_072.png

panzer_073.png

panzer_074.png

panzer_075.png

That last attack was kind of a silly thing to do, because his AT gun was entrenched so much, but it's not a big deal.

panzer_076.png

We now have enough prestige to buy our third fighter.

panzer_077.png

Note how he's sneaking his cavalry up to try to attack our target city/airfield. I completely missed this while taking the turn.

panzer_078.png

He didn't attack, again.

panzer_079.png

Our hurt fighter is almost out of fuel. If he runs out, he will die, so we need to move him on to (or next to) our airport. Also here you can see probably the most important difference between the DOS and Windows versions of Panzer General. If I were playing the Windows version, I would get a lovely red shading on hexes that would make it impossible to return to an airport before my fuel runs out. Since I'm playing the DOS version, I have to be very careful, and always watch how much fuel I have before moving my planes.

panzer_080.png

panzer_081.png

panzer_082.png

panzer_083.png

panzer_084.png

panzer_085.png

Hey! Our first time in Warsaw! I didn't take a screenshot of the aftermath of the rugged defense, but it wasn't very rugged. His cavalry killed 1 of our guys, and then we finished his unit off.

panzer_087.png

panzer_088.png

panzer_089.png

panzer_090.png

panzer_091.png

panzer_092.png

panzer_093.png

panzer_094.png

panzer_095.png

Fortunately that attack worked out. Had it gone very much in the enemy's favor, we would have

had kind of a big issue on our hands on that side.

panzer_096.png

panzer_097.png

Yet again, no attack

panzer_098.png

panzer_099.png

panzer_100.png

panzer_101.png

panzer_102.png

panzer_103.png

panzer_104.png

panzer_105.png

Because this unit has over 100 experience, he can now become "overstrength." This means that if he is at 10 strength, we can give him elite replacements and his strength will then be an 11. For each 100 experience a unit get up to 500 it can get another point of strength, meaning the strongest units in the game have a 15 strength. Our first unit to reach that number will almost undoubtedly be a stuka, because they get experience ridiculously fast (and 15 strength stukas are completely devastating).

panzer_106.png

panzer_107.png

panzer_108.png

panzer_109.png

panzer_110.png

panzer_111.png

Apparently there's something about being a cavalry in that hex that lends itself to rugged defense (yes, that is a fortification hex, which automatically increases entrenchment).

panzer_112.png

panzer_113.png

panzer_114.png

We make a unit surrender for the first time, fuck year.

panzer_115.png

We move in its place. In retrospect I probably should not have done this, and instead let him keep buying units around that city for tons of XP, as we really don't have an issue with time on this map. But it's not a big deal.

panzer_116.png

Hey he's finally attacking us on his turn!

panzer_117.png

panzer_118.png

I guess we can see why he hasn't been doing that.

panzer_119.png

panzer_120.png

panzer_121.png

panzer_122.png

panzer_123.png

panzer_124.png

panzer_125.png

panzer_126.png

panzer_127.png

panzer_128.png

panzer_129.png

panzer_130.png

panzer_131.png

panzer_132.png

panzer_133.png

panzer_134.png

A pretty uneventful turn

panzer_135.png

panzer_137.png

panzer_138.png

panzer_139.png

panzer_140.png

panzer_141.png

panzer_142.png

panzer_143.png

panzer_144.png

panzer_145.png

panzer_146.png

panzer_147.png

He really hasn't been getting those at the right times...

panzer_148.png

panzer_149.png

panzer_150.png

panzer_151.png

panzer_152.png

We start buffing guys up to be overstrengthed

panzer_153.png

panzer_154.png

Yeah I probably picked too many people to buff up. 11 strength infantry aren't all that much better, and it cost us some prestige that we could have used to upgrade guys in Norway.

panzer_155.png

panzer_156.png

panzer_157.png

Here we have our first change of weather. Normally it has been fair, which doesn't affect the

gameplay at all. Since it is now overcast, our planes will be less effective against ground

units.

panzer_158.png

panzer_159.png

panzer_160.png

He finally gets a rugged defense at a strength where his unit can do some damage.

panzer_161.png

...but he doesn't

panzer_162.png

panzer_163.png

panzer_164.png

panzer_165.png

panzer_166.png

Yes, we could easily win whenever we wanted to, but I want to overstrength our stukas

(airplanes have to be on an airfield to give them replacements).

panzer_167.png

panzer_168.png

panzer_169.png

panzer_170.png

panzer_171.png

panzer_172.png

panzer_173.png

panzer_174.png

panzer_175.png

panzer_176.png

We finally overstrength our other stuka. Time to win the scenario.

panzer_177.png

panzer_178.png

Alright, another success. Now we will go into Norway, kill their women, and rape their men.

Also: chzr I played this before you posted so I didn't name any of my fighters =P, you will be recognized in Norway. If anyone else wants to volunteer for the Reich, just tell me what unit you want to be in, and I will name that unit after you, and give it some sort of characterization in the LP I guess.

marooned

Liturgist
Hell yeah, Panzer General! I was curious if someone would LP this glorious game.

Also, I volunteer myself for death and glory. Any kind of specialized infantry, whatever you wish/need. I don't remember much about units in PG.

Infantryman

Scholar
Nah, Pz IVD isn't better than Pz IIIE. It has lower initiative, and its very short 75mm gun is poor against hard targets. I usually buy just one of these and use it for mopping up infantry and artillery.

pz4d-101d.jpg

Norwegen: of Iron Ore and Sub Pens Nordica Part I

Alright, back and with a super-long update (split in two).

So our last scenario left us with a defeated Poland, leading to this:

panzer_000.png

Going up North, can only be a good thing...

MAJOR VICTORY BEFORE: turn 21

And this is where we can place our units:

panzer_001.png

panzer_002.png

panzer_003.png

So as you can see, we already have some units placed. This is the first new thing we learn about in Norway: auxiliaries. Previously we had only seen our core units, that is the units that go with us from each scenario to the next. Auxiliaries, on the other hand, exist only for the current scenario. This makes them the perfect cannon fodder :evil:

The second new thing is the naval units. All naval units are auxiliaries: you cannot buy them, so if you lose them and need them, you're fucked. All but submarines can attack land units, battleships and cruisers can do so at varying ranges.

Now, time to upgrade some of our core units before placing them.

panzer_004.png

panzer_005.png

We upgrade one of our regular infantry to a pioneer infantry and give him a Hanomag halftrack. Pioneers, aside from having better attack and defense scores than regular infantry, are also immune to rugged defense, making them invaluable for attacking fortifications and cities. They do move one hex per turn slower, meaning that mechanizing them is vital.

The halftrack is far superior to the basic truck, in that it is a "hard" type of unit with better defense, making it much less susceptible to infantry. It's halftracked movement means it moves better in rough terrain than the wheeled truck, but does not move as fast on roads.

panzer_006.png

panzer_007.png

We upgrade our shitty Panzer IA to a pro Panzer IVD. Yeah, it's one of the shitty versions of the Panzer IV with a pea-shooter as a cannon, but for right now its a pretty good tank, right now it's probably our best tank overall, though the IIIE is probably still better against tanks, but that's not a big deal in this scenario. In the next scenario the Panzer IV's will be our infantry tanks, while we will use the Panzer IIIG's in anti-tank combat.

panzer_008.png

We upgrade both of our 75 MM artillery pieces to 15 CM guns, and give them halftracks as well. Although the 15CM guns have much better soft and hard attack scores than the 75 MM, the main reason we are doing this is to upgrade the range from 2 to 3, which is quite important.

panzer_013.png

chzr takes command of our most experienced fighter unit.

warp_ray_100.gif
Time to shoot multi-headed dicks all over the sky :thumbsup:

panzer_014.png

Sergiu64 gets another fighter like a cool guy

po_drgbrnz_l.jpg
Please oh please don't forget to refuel this unit

Xeron.jpg
Now how could I ever forget a thing like that?

panzer_015.png

Infantryman takes over as the leader of the unit of Panzer IIIE's

Unit_GER_Hutier.png
Soon those fools will learn the power of infantrymen...in tanks...

panzer_016.png

panzer_017.png

panzer_018.png

panzer_019.png

panzer_020.png

Wow we killed 7 of that air defense gun with our battleship :incline:

Note: Air defense guns will in later maps be the primary reason for not simply rolling over everything. Since they have at least a range of 2 and shoot at any air unit that attacks a unit adjacent to them, they can be quite the little bitches to the glorious Luftwaffe.

And now chzr attacks this shitty Norwegian fighter

panzer_021.png

warp_ray_100.gif
STOMP 'EM IN THE NUTS

panzer_022.png

Huh, apparently non-named fighters do jack shit. I need more readers for this LP apparently,

panzer_023.png

The guys in these planes are paratroopers. They are the ones unit that can leave a transport plane at a place other than an airfield, though when they attempt to land the wind can randomly rush them into a square they weren't trying to parachute to. Paratroopers have slightly higher attack scores than normal infantry, but they have an initiative of 0, so I rarely buy them as a core unit, as you have to treat them with kiddie gloves until they get about 3 stars of XP.

panzer_028.png

panzer_029.png

Some naval combat against a torpedo boat.

panzer_031.png

Now we buy our first level bomber. Though their ground attack scores are much worse than tacgtical bombers, they have 2 specific advantages. First, when they attack a victory hex, the enemy will lose prestige. Second, whenever they bomb an enemy, the suppression they cause lasts for the remainder of the turn, making them very useful for pushing guys out of cities or fortfications. In Allied General they become even more useful for the British and Americans, because bombers like the Lancaster and the B-17 have ridiculously high ground defense scores, meaning they can bomb FlaK 88 guns with impunity, allowing them to actually be vulnerable to ground attacks. Unfortunately the German level bombers don't have such great defense scores, but the Junker 88 and the Heinkel He 111 both get the advantage of high naval attack, which is the real reason we are buying one. We choose the Junker 88 because it has more fuel, I think.

panzer_032.png

panzer_033.png

panzer_034.png

panzer_035.png

panzer_036.png

Lulz

panzer_037.png

panzer_038.png

Attacking a ship with a land unit when the ship is in the city automatically forces it to retreat.

panzer_039.png

panzer_040.png

chzr leads his fighters against this Hurricane.

warp_ray_100.gif
wtf u doin in norway, brits?

panzer_041.png

warp_ray_100.gif
I AM BECOME DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Sergiu64 gets mop-up duty

po_drgbrnz_l.jpg
Fucking gay

panzer_042.png

panzer_043.png

Lol using a bomber to trap a fighter, how could this go wrong?

panzer_045.png

panzer_046.png

panzer_047.png

panzer_048.png

panzer_049.png

panzer_054.png

Because I forgot to do this the first turn: Marooned takes over the Pionere squad

jacketguy.gif
For the master race!

panzer_055.png

panzer_056.png

panzer_057.png

panzer_058.png

panzer_059.png

panzer_062.png

panzer_063.png

Well that attack sucked. BTW that thing we were attacking is a fort. They are hard targets with no movement score, but high defense scores. Some of them, like this one, have a range of 2, while the other ones, called strongpoints instead of forts, have no range. The best units to kill them are infantry, and since they have no movement score, suppressing them enough will force a surrender.

panzer_066.png

panzer_067.png

panzer_068.png

panzer_069.png

panzer_071.png

panzer_072.png

panzer_077.png

panzer_079.png

panzer_082.png

I accidentally found this enemy cruiser by moving my sub as far forward as he could go. Though it does mean we get to shoot the shit out of him, it's actually not a very good thing for us because now he can see our sub, and might send a destroyer to fuck it up. (Subs work this way, they can only be seen if adjacent to an enemy ship, and can only be attacked by destroyers, T-Boats, and tactical bombers, though whenever they are attacked, they have a chance to evade the attack).

panzer_084.png

We buy yet another fighter now that we've accumulated some more prestige taking various cities and shit.

panzer_086.png

This is like that thing Dajaaj was talking about

panzer_087.png

I definitely should not have put that artillery in view of that city with no fighter protection D=

panzer_088.png

Poor screenshot taking on my part. The allied cruiser here is attacking our destroyer.

panzer_089.png

Poorly done again

panzer_090.png

Done correct this time!

panzer_091.png

Fuck. It's raining. This is not a good thing, because it means we can't use our planes at all. I've never had rain this early in the scenario before. It it keeps up, we could be fucked in our attempt to get a major victory.

panzer_092.png

Well, we're getting shit luck against the fort, god god damnit damnit

panzer_093.png

panzer_094.png

panzer_095.png

panzer_096.png

panzer_098.png

Yeahhh....his destroyer really did a number against our sub.

panzer_099.png

panzer_101.png

marooned decides to attack this city even though odds are he'll lose a lot of guys.

jacketguy.gif
I ain't give a fuck

panzer_102.png

marooned gets rolled, though he'll live

panzer_103.png

panzer_105.png

panzer_106.png

panzer_107.png

Wow, our artillery almost got obliterated by that bomber

panzer_108.png

panzer_109.png

panzer_110.png

Our sub evades, wu tang. Note if you are playing Allied General, expect to see this message 95% of the time you attack subs, Jesus Christ Operation Jupiter is the saddest moment of my life.

panzer_111.png

panzer_112.png

It's still raining :(

panzer_113.png

panzer_114.png

panzer_115.png

panzer_116.png

Man, attacking destroyers with subs is not recommended

panzer_118.png

Also, now that it has been raining for 2 turns, the ground has turned muddy. This is a fucking bitch, because it means our vehicles (or all units?) move slower. Also I believed ground attacks are less effective in the mud.

panzer_119.png

panzer_120.png

panzer_121.png

panzer_122.png

panzer_123.png

panzer_124.png

panzer_125.png

panzer_126.png

Goddamn, this guy is fucking resilient as all fuck.

panzer_127.png

Got enough prestige to buy another Stuka. We are cool

Of course, who knows if we'll ever be able to use it. Fucking rain

panzer_128.png

panzer_129.png

Norwegians acting like Poles

panzer_130.png

panzer_131.png

We give this guy replacements, as we have big plans for him. A lot of the time you don't want to replace auxiliary units because that costs prestige and using them is giving XP to them instead of your core units. Either way, you should almost never give them E replacements unless them having experience is key to you winning.

panzer_132.png

panzer_133.png

panzer_134.png

panzer_135.png

panzer_136.png

panzer_137.png

marooned has XP coming out his eye

jacketguy.gif
Like a boss

Xeron.jpg
Shut the fuck up

panzer_138.png

Oh shit, I had no idea that guy was there. Surprise contact happens when you move a naval unit onto a square that an enemy unit is already on, forcing an attack where the defender gets big bonuses

panzer_139.png

But, he only had 2 strength, so he got fucked.

panzer_140.png

panzer_141.png

panzer_142.png

Still...fucking....raining

panzer_143.png

It looks like things are starting to get a little bottled up here. Would be nice if we could bomb some of these guys to shit.

panzer_144.png

panzer_145.png

panzer_146.png

Xeron.jpg
Hey Infantryman, move on that river

Unit_GER_Hutier.png
Fuck that shit, ima stay right here and overstrength

Xeron.jpg
You traitorous bastard

panzer_147.png

panzer_148.png

panzer_149.png

panzer_150.png

panzer_151.png

panzer_152.png

panzer_153.png

Oh would you look at that, it's still raining. This means that it has actually been raining for more than half the game now :rage:

panzer_154.png

panzer_155.png

panzer_156.png

Our paratroopers with big plans leave for the north in their planemobiles

panzer_157.png

panzer_158.png

panzer_159.png

panzer_160.png

Fucking mud, we can't even knock a badly hurt infantry off a fucking river

panzer_161.png

marooned officially becomes our highest-strength unit of all time

jacketguy.gif
Suck on it, niggas.

panzer_162.png

Although it's raining, we can keep trapping their airplanes here, so that when it stops raining we easily kill them. Or, if it doesn't stop raining they will run out of fuel lol

Norwegen: of Iron Ore and Sub Pens Nordica Part II

panzer_163.png

panzer_164.png

IT'S OVERCAST!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

panzer_165.png

Seriously, we've been bottled up at the cities of Lillehammer (the objective city) and Hamar (the shitty, worthless city near Oslo) for far too long. I think longer than in any game I've played yet. Getting rain early in tis scenario absolutely destroys momentum, and worse, the cities in the north will be even harder to take as the units will be super entrenched.

panzer_166.png

Sergiu64 and chzr kindly show the enemy spitfire the doors to hell. (Note: this Spit II has so far been the only plane worthy of fighting our Messerschmidts. Unfortunately for it, it had no experience, and chzr and Sergiu64 were both well experienced from having strafed Poles on the river)

panzer_167.png

panzer_168.png

panzer_169.png

panzer_170.png

panzer_171.png

panzer_172.png

panzer_173.png

panzer_174.png

panzer_175.png

panzer_176.png

panzer_177.png

Jesus Christ, the guy in Hamar doesn't take damage, and he's barely entrenched anymore.

panzer_178.png

panzer_179.png

panzer_180.png

panzer_181.png

panzer_182.png

panzer_183.png

panzer_184.png

This is his navy up at Trondheim. As long as our battleship and cruiser have to continue traveling north, their navy is better, so we have to be very careful with ours.

panzer_185.png

God fucking damnit

panzer_186.png

panzer_187.png

panzer_188.png

This guy flat out refuses to die

panzer_189.png

panzer_190.png

So I forgot to look at my prestige before doing this...

panzer_191.png

panzer_192.png

Our paratroopers just keep flying north...

panzer_193.png

panzer_194.png

panzer_195.png

panzer_196.png

Oh, our artillery was out of ammo, so he didn't protect our guy on the river. ffs

panzer_197.png

Oh yeah, it's overcast again :thumbsup:

panzer_198.png

panzer_199.png

panzer_200.png

panzer_201.png

Here I got a little overzealous with trying to take this city. If you level bomb a non-target city twice, you will make it useless until an infantry goes in there for a turn. For now we only level bomb it once, but it doesn't really help us at all, only doing 2 suppression.

panzer_202.png

panzer_203.png

panzer_204.png

omg this is so exciting. Fair weather means we can bomb the sit out of everything beautifully, and the fact tat it has not been raining for two consecutive turns means that it is no longer muddy.

panzer_205.png

panzer_206.png

panzer_207.png

Things die so quickly now.

panzer_208.png

Stupidly bombing this city again. When I played this I forgot the unit taking te city had to be infantry to make it useable again, and we only have a Panzer II up there.

panzer_209.png

panzer_210.png

panzer_211.png

panzer_212.png

panzer_213.png

panzer_214.png

We finally take that piece of shit Hamar

panzer_215.png

panzer_216.png

panzer_217.png

panzer_218.png

So now that we can see his navy, you might think that we could bomb it with impunity with our own navy, since destroyers only spot 2 and cruisers only 1. But you would be making a fatal mistake, as he also as an aircraft carrier up there somewhere. It can't attack, but it has a spotting of 5. That means that if any of our ships were to get into firing range of his ships, he would be able to fire back on his turn. This is bad as he as A) more capital ships than us and B) more experience per ship.

panzer_219.png

panzer_220.png

panzer_221.png

panzer_222.png

panzer_223.png

panzer_224.png

panzer_225.png

This is where we finally landed our paratroopers, up at Narvik. I could say I did this to get a little extra prestige and to give ourselves an airfield up north in case we had time to take more cities up here (which, sometimes, especially wit less rain at the beginning, there is time). But really I just take this city because of the history fag in me. HISTORY FAG RANT INCOMING: the main reason Germany invaded Norway in World War II was to protect their supply of iron from Sweden, which in the winter months always came through the port of Narvik. Thus, Narvik was one of, if not THE key objective in the invasion of Norway, yet in PG it is not a victory condition. Anyways, I take it just to feel superior (I also already took Bergen with the infantry guys who took Stavanger, Bergen is not a victory city in this scenario either, but it was an extremely important location for Germany, later being the location of the Bergen sub pens).

panzer_226.png

panzer_227.png

panzer_228.png

panzer_229.png

panzer_230.png

panzer_231.png

There you see his carrier, immediately to the Northwest of his artillery piece there.

panzer_232.png

panzer_233.png

panzer_234.png

panzer_235.png

Yep, we're going to dive bomb some air defense guns, what could go wrong?

panzer_236.png

Apparently nothing. We wrecked him and didn't take any casualties

panzer_237.png

panzer_238.png

panzer_239.png

Hrm, we got pretty damn lucky up here, but who cares? Narvik has been captured and the inner history fag satiated

panzer_240.png

panzer_241.png

panzer_242.png

panzer_243.png

Time to shit all over his fucking carrier

panzer_244.png

panzer_245.png

panzer_246.png

panzer_247.png

panzer_248.png

Success! We can see pretty much his whole navy, while he can't see us. Time to go for Trondheim (we have to be very careful with our attack here: as long as he has all those capital ships up there we simply can't send any soft units up there, meaning for now we have to rely solely on tanks.

panzer_249.png

panzer_250.png

panzer_251.png

panzer_252.png

panzer_253.png

panzer_254.png

This was, as I noticed before even viewing the outcome, a horrendous idea. We still had an artillery who should have bombarded this infantry first, not to mention that he just isn't much of a priority target and risking our best tank like this is fucking stupid.

panzer_255.png

Fuck

panzer_256.png

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Well OK, looks like we lost our first unit in the entire campaign :tearofaneagle:

panzer_257.png

panzer_258.png

panzer_259.png

panzer_260.png

His cruisers aim at all the soft targets up there (and one also attacked Infantryman, but they completely avoided the IVD)

panzer_261.png

panzer_262.png

Huh...well...I guess I was wrong about losing that unit...alright

And marooned is filled with hubris at having 2 stars of experience

panzer_263.png

...and gets ruled

panzer_264.png

panzer_265.png

Time to beging the great naval battle of Trondheim in force

panzer_266.png

panzer_267.png

panzer_268.png

panzer_269.png

panzer_270.png

panzer_271.png

panzer_272.png

panzer_273.png

Hrm...this isn't exactly the best situation to be in...we had to move our destroyers up to protect our subs from is destroyers, but this means that our destroyers are going to get, well, destroyed. Probably shouldn't have move the subs up so quickly, but what are you gonna do?

panzer_274.png

panzer_275.png

panzer_276.png

panzer_277.png

panzer_278.png

panzer_279.png

panzer_280.png

panzer_281.png

panzer_282.png

panzer_283.png

panzer_284.png

panzer_285.png

panzer_286.png

panzer_287.png

panzer_288.png

panzer_289.png

panzer_290.png

panzer_291.png

panzer_292.png

panzer_293.png

panzer_294.png

Total losses: 3 destroyers, 1 sub, one sub gets damaged enough to basically put him out of the fight. Fortunately, as these are all auxiliaries, who gives a fuck?

panzer_295.png

This submarine attack I'm making is quite simply a suicide run. The sub is too damaged to be useless, but T-Boats only have 2 ammo. Since he attacked last turn, this attack will basically take another ship away from the allies.

panzer_296.png

panzer_297.png

panzer_298.png

panzer_299.png

panzer_300.png

panzer_301.png

panzer_302.png

panzer_303.png

We take the airfield with our hurt paratroopers. Yes, there's practically no way they will be able to hold it, but we can get one of his guys in the forest to attack him and take the airfield back, which works to our advantage. Besides, the paratrooper is just a bloody cannon fodder auxiliary anyways.

panzer_304.png

panzer_305.png

panzer_306.png

panzer_307.png

panzer_308.png

panzer_309.png

panzer_310.png

panzer_311.png

panzer_312.png

This was retarded. We're close to being done with the mission, and this tank isn't going to help us take Trondheim anyways, so he doesn't need fucking replacements. Dajaaj of the past, you're a fucking moron and prestige waster.

panzer_313.png

panzer_314.png

panzer_315.png

panzer_316.png

panzer_317.png

panzer_318.png

panzer_319.png

panzer_320.png

panzer_321.png

panzer_322.png

Huh, that paratrooper lasted a lot longer than I thought he would. A true patriot :salute:

Now it's time to finish off his navy once and for all.

panzer_323.png

panzer_324.png

panzer_325.png

panzer_326.png

panzer_327.png

panzer_328.png

panzer_329.png

panzer_330.png

panzer_331.png

panzer_332.png

panzer_333.png

panzer_334.png

panzer_335.png

panzer_336.png

panzer_337.png

panzer_338.png

Again, me being a retard and replacing guys that don't fucking need it.

panzer_340.png

panzer_341.png

panzer_342.png

panzer_343.png

panzer_344.png

panzer_345.png

It's now turn 18. This is the point when I realized, holy fuck I only have 3 turns to take Trondheim and, much more importantly, Namsos to get a major victory. Yeah...Namsos is that city over by our destroyers to the north surrounded by mengs, and our army is nowhere near there.

Also, it's raining again, fuck.

panzer_346.png

Note those two transport boats. Those are our two infantry units back from Stavanger. You know, the guys who have been doing jack shit this whole game? Well they are now our only hope for taking Namsos. Basically we are going to have to bomb the shit out of the city with our navy, then take it with one of these guys.

panzer_347.png

panzer_348.png

panzer_349.png

panzer_350.png

panzer_351.png

panzer_352.png

panzer_353.png

panzer_354.png

panzer_355.png

panzer_356.png

panzer_357.png

panzer_358.png

panzer_359.png

panzer_360.png

OK, overcast again, not too shabby. Thank god it's not rain, mud could seriously have fucked our shit.

panzer_361.png

panzer_362.png

panzer_363.png

panzer_364.png

panzer_365.png

panzer_366.png

panzer_367.png

panzer_368.png

panzer_369.png

panzer_370.png

panzer_371.png

Goddamn, that is some guys. Planes aren't going to be of much use up here due to those air defense guns. Also our Panzer II is just going to quietly slip away cuz he ain't gon' do shit against all those infantry in the forest.

Also those two British tanks next to Namsos are Matilda I tanks. They barely have attack scores to speak of, but they are hardy as all hell, very tough to kill. If they were Matilda IIs we might be in trouble, as they share the hardiness but add the ability to kill thing. ANOTHER HISTORY FAG RANT: the model for the Matilda I and II tanks in this game is the same, even though the two tanks were not related at all, did not share components or design in any way...kinda silly

panzer_372.png

panzer_373.png

panzer_374.png

panzer_375.png

panzer_376.png

panzer_377.png

panzer_378.png

panzer_379.png

panzer_380.png

panzer_381.png

panzer_382.png

Lol, accidental battle of the 1 strength ships...we win because he ran into us.

panzer_383.png

panzer_384.png

panzer_385.png

This is it, our last chance for a major victory. And because it is raining we cannot count on air support.

panzer_386.png

panzer_387.png

panzer_388.png

panzer_389.png

panzer_390.png

Ok we emptied the city. That means we can take our time with other units trying to find ways to get prestige/XP.

panzer_391.png

panzer_392.png

Alright time to win.

panzer_393.png

Whew that was close.

Now that we have completed Norway we go to the Low Countries, which is perhaps the easiest map in the game to get a major victory on, but is key as it gives us the time we need to overstrength our units for the attack on France. Also in the Low Countries I will be upgrading most of our tanks to Panzer IVD's (anti-infantry) or Panzer IIIG's (anti-tank) and some of our infantry to Bridge Engineers or Pioneres.

Codexlurker

Savant
Infantryman said:
Nah, Pz IVD isn't better than Pz IIIE. It has lower initiative, and its very short 75mm gun is poor against hard targets. I usually buy just one of these and use it for mopping up infantry and artillery.

pz4d-101d.jpg
Compare the states. Lower Init and -1 ground armor for more hard and soft dmg. Both are good, Panzer IV for infantry and some armor, Panzer IIIG for that first strike factor. Also yea, that gun blew accuracy wise which explains the initiative lost trying to aim the thing.
31906169.jpg

98960180.jpg

Can I be one of the named Panzer units?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bro since you need more sky-worthy Übermensch I volunteer for flying as one of your Luftwaffe fighter squad leaders.

Use this so that I won't get mistook with Marooned and vice versa:

keeperhellraiser.jpg
: DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION!

:salute: :salute: :salute:

Infantryman

Scholar
Well, you were severely handicapped because of the weather. Mud greatly reduces combat effectiveness, not to mention the rain and the fact how important aircraft in this game is. And despite all these setbacks, you've managed to achieve Major Victory! :salute:

Codexlurker said:
Compare the states. Lower Init and -1 ground armor for more hard and soft dmg. Both are good, Panzer IV for infantry and some armor, Panzer IIIG for that first strike factor. Also yea, that gun blew accuracy wise which explains the initiative lost trying to aim the thing.

Well, Pz IVD at that point doesn't seem that bad after all. But soon there will be much better versions of Pz III available, while for a decent Pz IV F2 you'll have to wait to the spring 1942.

chzr

Scholar
stop joining as fighters ffs :x

also, fucking rain. +1 for history fag rants.

Cassidy

Arcane
Do you intend to ever use paratroopers? If yes, I'm up as leader of the Schatten... I mean, Fallschirmjägers

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oberleutnant Roxorowski ready to take command of anything that kicks arse :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom