Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play King Arthur: Amulet of Sir Marrick

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Chapter 0: Once Again...
Chapter 1: King of Kings
Chapter 2: Excalibur
Chapter 3: Lady of the Lake
Chapter 4: Choosing Sides
Chapter 5: Battle for Dorset
Chapter 6: Seeds of War
Chapter 7: Righteous Fury
Chapter 8: The Cursed Sword
Chapter 9: Viroconium
Chapter 10: Viroconium - Part 2
Chapter 11: The Vision
Chapter 12: The Lost Children
Chapter 13: The Battle for West Mercia
Chapter 14: The Missing Hermit
Chapter 15: Against the Sidhe
Chapter 16: On the Druids' Trail
Chapter 17: The Wolflord
Chapter 18: The Wrath of Sir Caradoc
Chapter 19: In Defense of Camelot
Chapter 20: First Blood
Chapter 21: A Bold Plan
Chapter 22: A Fragile Strength
Chapter 23: Return to Camelot
Chapter 24: My Dear Camelot
Chapter 25: Renewal of Faith
Chapter 26: Darkness Over Britannia
Chapter 27: Arise, Knights of the Holy Grail
Chapter 28: Fall Beneath Our Steed
Chapter 29: End of Wales
Chapter 30: Divine Legendary Christian Artifacts
Chapter 31: Be Just or Be Dead
Chapter 32: Pierce the Shrouds
Chapter 33: Banner of Gorlois
Chapter 34: Amulet of Sir Marrick

01.jpg

"Step forth, Arthur of Pendragon," the old sage speaks.

There was no hesitation. The runes etched on the blade glowed as the youth reached for it.

02.jpg

With a mighty grip, the blade was drawn from the stone.

03.jpg

Gasps of disbelief and murmurs of awe filled the hall of kings. The crowd were unsure how to react as the blade shone brighter.

04.jpg

And brighter still. Blinding the crowd momentarily. When the glow dissipated, the skies grew dark and thunders boomed overhead to add further confusion.

05.jpg

Soldiers ran into the hall with fear in their eyes, bringing reports of monstrous hordes amassing in the forests. The mood darkens as accusing glances fell upon the youth with the blade.

06.jpg

"You've doomed us all!", a noble shouted.

"I must leave immediately to defend my kingdom!", another added.

The lords left, anxious to defend their holdings. Only the youth and his brother stood behind. The sage nowhere to be found.

"Kay, what about Cornwall?" the youth finally spoke.

"I doubt the peasants will react calmly to this news. Expect looting and pillage in the province."

"We need to do something about it. I am responsible for this."

"I'd blame Merlin, brother. But he is nowhere to be found, we must deal with this ourselves."

"Do what you must. And may God forgive me for what I've done."

07.jpg

One year later...

08.jpg

Welcome back to another King Arthur's LP. Let's see if I can still finish this LP. I'm trying this on Very Hard difficulty, which is unlocked after beating the campaign once.

Let's recap our first hero, Sir Kay's ability and take stock.

09.jpg

Three types of Knights exists: Warlords, Sages and Champions.

Warlords like Sir Kay carries army support skills while Sages excel at spell casting and Champions are melee monsters.

However, each Knight gains unique set of General Skills, which makes some much better than others. Sir Kay carries Cloud of Arrow, Healing, and Anti-magic. He also comes with Fog of Avalon. The rest aren't really that great.

General Skills highlights:
-Cloud of Arrow causes archers to temporary shoot 3 arrows instead of one. Effectively tripling their damage output. I'll be pumping this exclusively for Sir Kay to power through the early game.

-Healing isn't a bad skill. It heals every unit's percentage hit-points over time, lowering casualty rate.

-Anti Magic adds resistance to magic over an area. This isn't a bad choice to counter area damage spells, but low priority for early game.

-Fog of Avalon could be a nice skill, it affects weather, reducing line of sight and maximum archery range. The biggest issue is that it consumes a lot of mana and is extremely situational, keeping in mind that it also affects our archers as well. Not a great skill.

Statistics breakdown:
Leadership: I'd rate this as the poorest return on investment. Reducing an army upkeep cost is nice but not necessary. If it actually reduces recruitment costs, it would be more worth it. Keep in mind, though, some quests do reward a sizable Leadership like avoiding text adventures army battles or diplomacy options.

Reign: Another poor investment for a war leader. It gives more yield for provinces under the Knight's rule.

Adventure: Mixed bag. It increases an army's movement point, and awards bonus EXP for completed text quests. It might be worthwhile to make Sir Kay a superb Adventurer to have a very mobile army, but it's not really a priority. Adventure also plays a part in 'stealth' options during text adventures like tracking / stealing.

Fight (Combat): Very, very good returns. It improves hit-points and damage output for the knight and his attached unit. Making it VERY tempting to attach a skilled Fighter to an archer squad. However, heroes can't fire bows, so he can't gain much EXP. Champions and Warlords should pump this to gain more edge in combat and rack up EXP from direct kills. Also, constant use in text adventure duels.

Magic : Depending on the class it might be worthwhile to pump more magic to increase mana capacity. Sages would hunger for this since mana cannot be regenerated without special skills or equipments. Also keeping a round number to ensure maximum amount of skill usage is critical since mana is refilled after every battle. Magic is also available as an option in some text adventures.

Overall, I'd rate Sir Kay as a very average knight to take. There will be better choices later on. Also, I skipped past the first two tutorial battles and straight towards the first quest.

12.jpg

What is unique about the King Arthur's campaign is the somewhat branching campaign that rewards(or punish) players differently for each choice they made. Also, siding with differing sides and solving quests in certain manners will grants a morality shift towards Good/Evil and Old Faith/Christianity. You can ignore the quest altogether and just go on a rampage throughout the whole Britannia, but if you want that, go play the Saxons DLC.

But the loose structure of the campaign tends to mess up beginning players if they trigger certain conditions too early, forcing them to reload or struggle through with lesser resources. I look forward to their sequel to expand more of it.

Winter season comes, and it's the only time of the year when you can increase your stats and skills.

13.jpg

Units gain experience and level up accordingly. At the 5th & 10th level, you can pick an unique unit trait. It makes keeping veteran units alive very rewarding and losses more painful since replacements are more expensive! Sir Kay gets Cloud of Arrow skill.

I'd add more, but I'm a little tired from the flight and unpacking. I'll cover the battle tomorrow. That's all for the first introductory refresher course of King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame.

RK47

Patron
Yes, although the Tyrant military options are more appealing than the Rightful.
I'll make a side by side comparison later but here's a brief highlights while I sneak some recreational hours at work:

Rightful Christian Highlights:
- Sentinels
Superb light infantry, and cheap. They have best damage output and hp than most light infantry. Their trait also keeps replacement costs down. Definitely a good argument to go Rightful to toss those Sentinels whenever you feel like it and hold down almost anything in forested areas. Just keep a handful alive and replenish units for a pittance.

Tyrant Christian Highlights:
- Marauders
Fast Cavalry with respectable damage and hit-points. Trait allows faster VP capture. They can also be substituted by Saxon Cavalry once Norfolk is under your control. But you do get them earlier.

- Lionhearts
Heavy Infantry with Zeal. They gain damage depending on your Christianity counter multiplied by 5%. A maxed out Christianity of 20 means they deal DOUBLE damage.

RK47

Patron
kay.jpg
Milord, I bring news.

king.jpg
What of?

kay.jpg
King Mark of Dumnonia seeks our aid against King Idres of Dorset.

king.jpg
King Mark sounds most familiar to me. Tell me more about him.

kay.jpg
King Mark is a close friend of your late father, Uther Pendragon. He is a man of true honor and well-loved by his people.

king.jpg
What of King Idres?

kay.jpg
That man is a tyrant. The recent cataclysm brought by the releae of Excalibur made him see fit to attack his closest neighbor. He is nothing more than an opportunist.

A servant enters the throne and announces the arrival of a messenger from King Idres.

king.jpg
Send him in.

gla.jpg
My name is Sir Glais, and I bring a message from my liege, King Idres of Dorset.

king.jpg
You may speak.

gla.jpg
My generous liege offers a temporary alliance against King Mark of Dumnonia. In return we shall reward you with a huge sum of gold and an artifact from our treasury.

kay.jpg
A most interesting offer...

king.jpg
And once King Mark falls, what then? Will you point your sword towards us?

gla.jpg
Nay, let our enemies come. Our two kingdoms will work as one and share powers as equal.

kay.jpg
You must take us for fools.

gla.jpg
How dare you insult our Kingdom!

king.jpg
Tell your liege, we reject his offer and will stand on King Mark's side.

gla.jpg
You are nothing but a coward! You will regret this decision!

kay.jpg
Not so fast.

king.jpg
No. Let him go. We'll face him in battle.

kay.jpg
As you wish.

king.jpg
God be with you, Sir Kay.

Sir Kay gathers his men and marched towards Sir Glais' men who were encamped within Dumnonia's borders.

14.jpg

gla.jpg
Last chance, Sir Kay. Join us, or fall.

kay.jpg
You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (James 4:2)

gla.jpg
Wretched servant of the false king. Prepare to fall!

kay.jpg
Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. (Roman 14 : 4)

gla.jpg
Enough! Slay them all!

Sir Glais forces is much smaller than ours. This is our first non-tutorial battles and casualties are permanent. In the beginning, we are only given basic units: Cavalry, Footmen, Heavy Footmen and Archers.

Basic breakdown:
Cavalry: Not to be mistaken with their heavily armored counterparts, they tend to be softer, yet faster. Rely on these horses to flank and capture victory points. They also work on trampling light infantries in a pinch, just don't count on them to suffer zero casualties.

Footmen: Basic infantry, lightly armored, cheap and terrible at everything yet can perform better than heavy infantry in forests.

Heavy Footmen: Heavier, slower, and packs more punch. They should work as shock absorbers against charging horses. They're too slow to be used offensively, rely on the enemy coming at your archers instead, just don't get caught out in rough terrains, they get heavy penalty for it.

Archers: Slow, long range bombardments. No other game made archers this fearsome. A homage to Heroes of Might & Magic Range Superiority, two volleys from these units would drop roughly half of a unit. The only counter to these ranged death from above are weather, magic, some forest covers, or speed, expect these guys to level up faster than the rest.

15.jpg

This map has 5 VPs. Capturing majority of the VP will gradually lower enemy morale. Hitting zero morale will rout the army completely. Casualties also hammer down the morale bar. So rack up kills and control the battlefield to seize victory.

Each Victory Points has a unique property. I'll go clockwise from 12. 12 has an anti-magic spell. At 3 o clock, there's a sanctuary for blessing. The 6 o clock is a tomb of the saints, which gives bonus to Christian leaders. At 9 o clock is a Lightning shrine, capable of insta-gibs. The VP at the center will prevent any magic from being activated in it.

16.jpg

Since I start on top left. I send a lone cavalry to cap the lightning shrine will the rest proceed to the 12 o clock VP. If Sir Glais is stupid enough to proceed to the central VP, I'll bombard him with my archers.

17.jpg

Which he totally did. I quickly activated Cloud of Arrows and target his archers. His infantry is distracted by a lone footmen I sent to ambush from the forest. From the top left, Sir Glais marches his infantry in the open. Not a threat at all.

18.jpg

We wiped his archers with minimal casualties. Stripped of his range options, we can now pull back the archers a bit to the southeast. Then pop our hiding infantry from behind to cover their retreat with a nice ambush bonus. Sir Kay will push northwards to wipe out any stragglers.

19.jpg

With most of his melee units locked in combat and outnumbered, we just have to grind them out as archers pick on those who are not engaged in melee. We can't risk friendly fires. If you pay attention to the bottom right map, my cavalry is busy capping other VPs to help speed up the morale drop.

20.jpg

Too easy.

21.jpg

XP Reward and more detailed casualties, as well as loot rewards are given here. At times, you may even end up with an artifact as a reward. Notice that archers get the lion's share of the EXP.

With that objectives completed. We gain King Mark's army and his whole province, including himself.

22.jpg

Two Sentinels and one archer. Very powerful additions.

23.jpg

Most importantly, we've gained a second Knight of the Round Table! King Mark is a Champion and is blessed with Dragonstrike.

General skill uniques:
-Breathstealer: A potent combination with cleave. Vampiric effect for a duration. Enhances survivability in mid game. Whether this translates as additional damage or not is unclear, but all I know it has a bad-ass blood-mist effect when triggered.

-Invisible Shield: Immunity to Archers. Very handy when you want to charge down archers in the open with cavalry. But not top priority.

-Dragonstrike: Instantly causes damage to 24 closest enemy soldier for huge damage at level 4. They never really give specifics on damage, but I read it as 'fixed big damage potential'. With a small MP cost of 40, the only drawback is its slightly long cool-down and fixed damage. Unlike Cleave, it is not affected by any attributes, so early game, it provides a better punch compared to Cleave.

Another attractive feature is the 'fire and forget' nature of this spell. At times heroes may get stuck when targeting in a horde, wasting precious seconds of Cleave and damage output. With Dragonstrike, just get close and cast it for maximum effect. This is quite effective if you attach King Mark to a Cavalry and play him as 'Dragon-bomber' with trample and Dragonstrike since no unit can catch up to Cavalry, allowing repeated tramples and Dragonstrike.

That's enough update for now!

RK47

Patron
kay.jpg
Milord, King Mark of Dumnonia wishes to see you.

king.jpg
Bring him in.

mark.jpg
Arthur, so very nice to see you again!

king.jpg
We've met?

mark.jpg
Pardon me, Arthur, I was there when you drew the sword. I stood very close when the miracle happened.

king.jpg
Alas, it wasn't a miracle that blesses us all. Whispers of doom and dark signs appears in the north.

mark.jpg
Take heart, Arthur. Witness the Lord's blessing I've achieved. And believe.

King Mark clenches both of his fists and drew breath as he closed his eyes. Suddenly a crackle of energy and hiss of smoke announces a ring of blaze surrounding King Mark.

kay.jpg
Heavens! Dragon's flame!

king.jpg
Incredible.

27.jpg

mark.jpg
Arthur, you've helped me before, my lands and army is yours to command as well as my sword. I surrender my crown to you, the Once and Future King.

king.jpg
I thank you, King Mark.

kay.jpg
Where do we go from here, my lord?

mark.jpg
I've heard legends of the mighty Excalibur, but whatever powers it might had must have been depleted when you drew it from the stone.

26.jpg

king.jpg
It's true. The runes on the blade no longer glows and it is cold to the touch.

mark.jpg
Before King Idres attacked, there was a knight by the name of Sir Gareth who traveled extensively seeking the Lady of the Lake.

kay.jpg
Did he succeed?

mark.jpg
Unfortunately not. But I think he was very close before he had to abandon his quest due to injuries.

king.jpg
And his whereabouts?

mark.jpg
He took refuge in Glastonbury Abbey, within my province.

kay.jpg
Then let us travel there quickly.

king.jpg
God be with you both.

This is the first text adventure quest that we embark upon. There are multiple solutions to this and the consequence could slightly shift your morality and reward. Pick the hero undertaking the quest carefully, some quests has high attribute check to achieve positive outcomes. And handling quests in certain manners may also affect the hero's morality.

24.jpg

mark.jpg
This man is gravely injured. He will not survive without aid.

kay.jpg
What are our options?

25.jpg

mark.jpg
An abbey of monks may of help. I've also heard rumors of druids in the marshland, their knowledge in herbs unmatched.

kay.jpg
Let us seek help from the abbey.

28.jpg

kay.jpg
Sigh.

mark.jpg
I must apologize for their greed, Sir Kay. I did not expect...

kay.jpg
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (1 Timothy 6:10)

mark.jpg
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.(1 Timothy 6:11)

kay.jpg
Very well. Give them the gold.

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Three options was there to take...or four:
-Getting the abbey's help by paying or by threat. (2) +Christian / +Tyrant
-Rescuing the Druids and others attacked by brigands +Rightful +Old Faith
-Torture Sir Kay to death for information. ++Tyrant

RK47

Patron
kay.jpg
Are you well enough, Sir Gareth?

gar.jpg
I've recovered fully, thanks to the monks. I owe my life to you and pledge my service.

mark.jpg
Let us both return to the King and report our progress.

Later...

king.jpg
And this Lady of the Lake will reveal everything once the blade is cast into the lake? Most suspicious.

gar.jpg
I swear upon my life, my King. If that proves untrue, my life shall forfeit.

king.jpg
I trust you, Sir Gareth. But what of your sorcery? Are they of darker origins?

gar.jpg
I know not. But when the Great Change occurred, I found myself in mastery of arcane arts. Forgive me if I offend your beliefs, my King.

mark.jpg
We must assume this is a blessing just like mine. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

king.jpg
Very well. Our next step should be to the lake itself, take Excalibur with you and see what the Lady has to say.

kay.jpg
At once, my King.

They barely made their move when a messenger entered the throne bringing news of another brewing war.

01.jpg

kay.jpg
Those villains will never stop plotting.

mark.jpg
I had no doubt of King Idres' ambitions, but to attack another kingdom after suffering a defeat? He is raving mad.

king.jpg
So justice is driven back, and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. (Isaiah 59:14)

gar.jpg
The Testaments..I've not heard of them for so long. *makes the sign of the Cross*

mark.jpg
By your command, my King, the Kingdom of Dorset will fall.

kay.jpg
Should this not wait till the matter of the lake is settled?

king.jpg
Your words have merit. Proceed then and return quickly. God be with you three.

02.jpg

kay.jpg
So this is the village, do you remember where you had your last battle, Sir Gareth?

gar.jpg
I'm afraid my memory is a little suspect after many days of illness.

mark.jpg
Then we should seek directions from the locals first.

03.jpg

kay.jpg
Tell us of the recent battle.

04.jpg

mark.jpg
These are simple folk, there's no harm in showing a little charity. The survivors may have much to tell.

05.jpg

mark.jpg
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. (Isaiah 59:1)

gar.jpg
They have survived through a terrible ordeal, perhaps a little kindness and words will inspire them.

Sir Kay looks over at the pitiful soldiers and handed over small pouches of gold to them each as he spoke words of encouragement.

kay.jpg
Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. (Isaiah 60:1)

06.jpg

mark.jpg
Let us return to the site of battle.

07.jpg

kay.jpg
Onward. Let's explore the camp thoroughly.

08.jpg

gar.jpg
Be wary, it could be a trap.

kay.jpg
It's best to face them now than later. I see them! You there! Halt!

09.jpg

mark.jpg
There could be more of them.

kay.jpg
Enough delays, let us find the druid.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

kay.jpg
I cannot promise you that. Our King follows a different God than you.

13.jpg

gar.jpg
We need to be wary. Without that Horn, things may get difficult.

mark.jpg
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

14.jpg

gar.jpg
What now, Sir Kay?

kay.jpg
I wouldn't risk throwing the blade into the lake at night and losing it. Let's wait till dawn.

15.jpg

kay.jpg
Giants!

16.jpg

Welcome to an adventure-tied battle. It's pretty much unavoidable but certain choices will make this battle much easier. Let's recap:
-Scouting ahead instead of entering the ruins directly will lower the enemy troop count, at no casualty to your side.
-Making that promise to the Druid will allow you to choose to fight in clear weather, instead of the fog and gives you an artifact.

New units descriptions:
Autumnbreed & Winterbreed are Unseelie Infantry.
The Autumnbreed is the light version and performs well in the forest. While Winterbreed is the heavy version and gains bonus in the fog.

Wargs are super-fast war-dogs that are capable of tearing apart light infantry and archers with ease. They have more HP than light cavalry and is more mobile. They also trample their enemies.

Giants can ruin your day if you can't drop them before they get to melee range. If that happens, your only hope is heavily forested areas and numerical superiority.

Let's get to the battlefield.

17.jpg

It's foggy, our archers get less range and accuracy. The mini map also does not display enemy units until they get close to sight range. This battle map is also devoid of any VP to capture. It's a straight up slug-fest.

In that sort of map. It's best to lay ambushes and wait for the enemy to approach and send a lone cavalry to scout ahead.

18.jpg

Units that spend half a minute in forested areas will gain the ambush trait. They are hidden from view and does increased damage for a short period when they pop out of cover to attack.

19.jpg

The firing radius of the archers are helpfully noted with a circle, however, that is the maximum range in 'clear' weather. The smaller circle denotes the current maximum firing radius due to the fog. We can counter this with Sir Gareth's Dragon's Eye which allows all friendly unit to see clearly through any weather for a limited time.

20.jpg

This is when we trigger the ambush buff and activate Sir Kay's Cloud of Arrows to triple the damage output!

21.jpg

Don't mind the red-tint, Dragon's Eye is basically infra-vision. I focus fire on the Giants while the rest of the infantry remain static to keep their ambush bonus.

22.jpg

That's three giants down and three to go.

23.jpg

The other three got too close, and the Dragon's Eye effect ended. We have to start closing in while the archers pick another target.

24.jpg

I attempted a trampling charge with my light cavalry on those Autumnbreed while the giants gets blocked by 3 footmen. However, my heavy footmen failed to catch the two charging wargs from the northeast!

25.jpg

It gets a little messy as their infantry clashed in the forest and giants being held, the archers are scattering to the west. We really have nothing to intercept those wargs. The only solution is to launch a few hopeful volleys in between movement.

26.jpg

It's working! The wargs are whittled down. Some players claimed this is an 'exploit' since the archers can 'shoot on the move', but in 'Very Hard' mode, I'll take anything I can get.

But what about the giants? Well, see for yourself.

27.jpg

That's when I decided to do something stupid. I thought, "Hey, let's apply some volleys of arrows. It should work while the infantry hold down the giants. It's forests, anyway!"

Well...not really.

28.jpg

So the giants are almost dead, but see the 4 empty unit boxes? Yep, I just wiped out 4 units of footmen. :lol: Maybe I should've signaled a retreat before doing that next time. Hahah!

Who cares, though? We won!

29.jpg

30.jpg

See you in next update!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Big deal, footmen suck anyways. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep basic footmen around.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So you're going agaisnt your previous strategy of dumping points in Adventuring on Kay and using him in text adventures? Aren't you missing out on movement points and exp? Will you just be pumping Fight and Magic?

RK47

Patron
I suppose that's the most effective way? Since he'll be an archer whore with triple archer blasts and maxed fight, while the rest rides up front?

I'm experimenting.

RK47

Patron
Serious_Business said:
Don't ask me, I was using your lp as a guide to this game so now I'm confused

Well I broke it down to mana cost vs effectiveness and found that Clouds of Arrows is so cheap and with good payoff as well. For medium difficulty, Adventuring allows you to do more things in the world map quicker. But in Very Hard difficulty, damage output is more important than anything else. I'm having a hard time keeping casualties down since the enemy heroes are using steroid HP and mana bars.

So Sir Kay's planned build is:
Archer General
-Max Fight 20
This has a twofold effect: Archers under his command deals more damage and takes more hits before dying. And since the raw damage of archers are quite huge, 5% per increase is quite noticeable!

-Max Cloud of Arrows 4/4
Triple archer damage for duration. Very cheap and efficient. Allows you to pack more ranged punch in smaller numbers while relying on cheap infantry to cover your flanks and attack as well.

-Max Masterful Tactics 4/4 + Wedges of Steel 4/4
More damage, armor increase and area effect = Deadlier archer squad. Once maxed, lasts for a long time and insane area of effect. Wedges of Steel boosts the damage output further by 120%!

I have something different planned for Sir Gareth later on. We'll just have to see tomorrow!

RK47

Patron
kay.jpg
That's two hundred dead. May their souls rest in peace.

mark.jpg
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin–because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. (Romans 6:6-7)

gar.jpg
There is truth in your words, Sir Mark. Amen.

The three knights gathered their wounded army and returned to their king's side.

king.jpg
What news?

kay.jpg
The price was high, but the blade is alive once more.*hands the sword*

01.jpg

king.jpg
I...thank you, Sir Kay. Much has happened since you left.

mark.jpg
Of that, I have no doubt. Evil plots constantly. What news of Dorset, my Lord?

king.jpg
King Idres launched an offensive, but King Bertram's army stood firm. But he is weakened, and a second wave is ready to strike within three season's time.

kay.jpg
I fear ours shall take roughly the same time to replace our losses as well.

king.jpg
Use the winter time wisely, the kingdom is still unstable without a Stronghold.

kay.jpg
As you command, your Majesty.

king.jpg
I worry if we do not choose a side soon, they might cast aside their differences and point their blades at us instead.

mark.jpg
While I highly doubt King Bertram's treachery, your concerns are duly noted. We shall make proper preparations over the winter.

As you recall, we've gained the service of a small remnants of an army for 1,000 gold in the previous text adventure. It's a Tourney Knight unit.

02.jpg

It will compliment our depleted force nicely. King Mark will be given command of this heavy cavalry.

03.jpg

A Champion is generally suited for close combat role, and none excels at getting him there at faster speed while providing staying power than a Heavy Cavalry unit. While slower than light cavalry, they pack more punch and hit-points which leads to deadlier trampling.

04.jpg

2000 HP, baby. But they can get very expensive to replace.

You asked about character builds, here we go then:

05.jpg

Sir Kay will be an archer general focusing on Fight & Cloud of Arrows. Once Cloud is maxed, we will go for Masterful Tactics.

07.jpg

King Mark will be devoted to Dragonstrike 4/4, then we'll improve his passive skills to improve his unit damage output and magic resistance. Yes, it's OK to leave him without Cleave since Dragonstrike works well as a substitute.

08.jpg

Sir Gareth is a standard Sage issue with 3 point spread over Dragon's Eye, Dragon's Breath and Curse of Shadows. It's a tough choice on what to improve first. Dragon's Eye is a situational spell, while Dragon's Breath is instant-kill and additional points improves its mana efficiency. Curse of Shadows damage potential is huge when it hits rank 3.

HOWEVER, I decided on a 'huge utility' investment that takes only a point or two to shine in early game. Look at his general skill, the Hold spell is definitely a bargain. 100 Mana for 120 seconds of FROZEN status?! Sign me up buddy! I'm also attaching him to an archer squad to add a little bit of damage (5% from his 1 Fight) and HP because his role is reactive, not active. He's not gained a level yet, so Hold will have to wait.

That's all the time I have for update tonight, see you tomorrow and enjoy this preview, as we take on King Idres' army.

09.jpg

anus_pounder

Arcane
laclongquan said:
And gawd, but the constant scripture quotes are irritating.

I have to agree with this. Also, where do you find these scriptures anyway? Have you memorized the bible or are do spend several minutes perusing the book for a suitable one?

kazgar

Arcane
Post for LP support.

What i've just realised, and finding a bit weird, even though its King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame, King Arthur doesn't actually do anything, and isn't part of the game. You even go and repair/restore excalibur yet its just fluff.

But I guess Knights of the Round Table, the Roleplaying Wargame, isn't as exciting.

Surely he should be out there Cleaving rocks with his might sword and rallying troops to the cause, especially when everything is on the line as often as it seems to be here.

RK47

Patron
kazgar said:
Post for LP support.

What i've just realised, and finding a bit weird, even though its King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame, King Arthur doesn't actually do anything, and isn't part of the game. You even go and repair/restore excalibur yet its just fluff.

But I guess Knights of the Round Table, the Roleplaying Wargame, isn't as exciting.

Surely he should be out there Cleaving rocks with his might sword and rallying troops to the cause, especially when everything is on the line as often as it seems to be here.

Yes I find it strange, but I suppose the King is the player who commands his troops and tells his knights what actions to take. Just like Paul Atreides of Dune 1.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
root said:
Darth Roxor said:
The Scripture quotes are fine, you heathen fucks :mob:

this

hardly surpirsing that an illiterate gook and a sodomite find them offensive, tho

I don't know about illiterate gooks and sodomites, but fuck em, the quotes are p. cool and add much flavour, I approve of them even if they are Unreasonable :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom