Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

insomnia.ac

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have an insomnia.ac account and can confirm to me my little theory that they must certainly be the best platform to discuss video games that exists- or otherwise dispel this optimistic notion.

The extremely strict posting guidelines and the persona of the insane genius running the place, coupled with the fee for account activation have intrigued me tremendously, as have his passionate, pretentious articles that resonate with me. The man echoes Lyric Suite in his love for genius and true forms.

So if any of you have an account, do share some impressions.

SoupNazi

I looked through a few of their "controversial" reviews of games (described as a representative taste of their opinions) and I can already tell it's not worth paying for membership even if you were supportive of membership fees in the first place. There's a guy complaining that games were harder when he was thirteen when compared to now that he's twenty, some retard claiming his review is too complex for normal people because they haven't read his book (which hasn't come out yet, in fact he didn't write it, it's all in his head) and of course the usually completely random quotes of Nietzsche with no actual purpose and little to no contribution or even relevance to the topic they claim to debate on the site (i.e. games).

That place is even more pretentious than the Codex, and that already says too much. At least in this place, the bullshit usually doesn't get onto the main page news, and the actual news... people don't try too hard to be edgy at all cost and grimdark like most of the rest of the Codex. Except for VoD but he's just silly so it's tolerable.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I loved his article about art games. Practically the only sane opinion about games as art that I've seen.

Project: Eternity
I feel as though I triggered this topic - I linked the art games article on a post in General RPG.
Insomnia.ac: He has some damn good articles, that make absolutely FANTASTIC points, but you need to remember a couple of things... Alex Kierkegaard is an asshole with machismo delusions and pretensions towards being a master of philosophy.
Alex Kierkegaard is a hipster fuck who wears a fedora, but he considers himself better than other hipster fucks because he reads a lot of Nietzsche and only plays HARDCORE shooters. I wouldn't join his site, because he's an arrogant prick who is unable to objectively look at some games, so caught up in his own agenda that he couldn't breathe in the *good* parts of Braid (though his negative reactions to the game were well-placed), so obsessed with bringing down some imagined threat of "art gamers." From the forum posts I've read, he'll ban you if you say two words in opposition to him.
I honestly haven't seen anything "genius" about the guy. Just some solid points and a whole lot of tripe.
That being said - that art games article was brilliant, as are a couple of his reviews (especially on absolute garbage like Passage), and he does know his shit. But fuck me if he isn't a shitty person.

...Oh. And "Alex Kierkegaard" is a fucking cool name. Just saying.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't see your link. I found his site reading up on some of my favorite games, like Ketsui.

It is only today that I realized why all games except for many shoot 'em ups bore me: they suck. They all suck.

SoupNazi said:
There's a guy complaining that games were harder when he was thirteen when compared to now that he's twenty, some retard claiming his review is too complex for normal people because they haven't read his book (which hasn't come out yet, in fact he didn't write it, it's all in his head) and of course the usually completely random quotes of Nietzsche with no actual purpose and little to no contribution or even relevance to the topic they claim to debate on the site (i.e. games).

This about sums up my opinions on his little community.

Only looked into it enough to know where his actual priorities and objectives lie, and it is not in the betterment of gaming as an art or science, but mostly in the over-inflation of himself in a pond where there are few other big fish to begin with.

He does some interesting analyses, particularly in terms of semantics and his "through the eye of a philosopher" perspective - something which is refreshing and certainly needed to balance the less well educated ones we see in development and journalism - but the impression I get from a lot of it is that games are merely circumstantial to his expression of his love for philosophy and philosophical inquiry. I don't believe he has the ability to contribute to games in a way beyond making other people think more analytically and philosophically about the concepts in this medium - which, sure, is an admirable goal in itself - but I think you need to be careful not to mistake that with someone who should be held up as a visionary for games, and who has the priorities and better objectivity of someone who loves what games are about beyond the end playing experience.

His taste in games would suggest an overwhelming bias in the direction of the "emotional experience".

In fact, he holds up MMORPGs as the ultimate form of (computer) roleplaying, almost as if his own methodical analysis forced him to arrive at that conclusion in a somewhat uneasy manner, which gives you some idea about his lack of understanding of game systems and the importance of the computer simulated reaction, which MMORPGs barely even come close to meeting the requirements of. There is far too much emphasis on the social element, which in reality, is not even necessary in the *C*RPG, and why we still see more satisfying experiences in singleplayer RPGs. Never underestimate the poisonous potential of another human to the integrity of the roleplay experience.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
After reading more articles - not nearly enough - it turns out my initial assessment was ignorant.

The man is brilliant, not pretentious. I can only encourage most folks here to read all the articles as I believe you should find it to be enjoyable.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Actually, after having read more of his stuff, I'd conclude that this is some serious case of basement dwelling.
http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=2231
The forum fee has risen to €20, and the procedure for getting an account has slightly changed.
In case you are wondering, the draconian posting guidelines and steep entrance fee are intended to keep the forum free of subhumans, as much as that is humanly possible. As to how effective these measures are, I believe you will find that the results speak for themselves.
And here's the thread where he posts every link that mentions his website. He must be spending every day crawling the web, desperate for attention. He made this thread public a few days ago, probably thinking that everyone would suddenly become envious of his super trolling skills.
http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=2618
http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php? ... &start=200
It's really amusing to see up close how this "legend-building" process works. There is some truth in more or less every one of his statements, but he is systematically blowing all of them out of proportion (I didn't live "on the smallest island in hawaii for a few years", I lived on Oahu for three months; I wasn't trained in "mma", but in plain simple kickboxing; I did not become a "nuclear physicist" out of college, I became an aerospace engineer and worked at a plasma physics research project; etc. etc.) And if all this is taking place right now, while I am still alive, before I've even had a chance to publish my most important work, wtf will happen ten or twenty years down the line, let alone in a century or two? The prospect is hilarious! When I go back and read how Borgia, for example, has been downright demonized by historians for five centuries, it all finally starts making a great deal more sense.

And lol at his comment about my "lack of political power". Nietzsche had no political power either, moron, but Hitler, Franco, Mussolini and Stalin all read him. At the highest level, that's how philosophy works. You can't expect a single fucking man to do everything! If I had had political power, I wouldn't have had any philosophical insight: just go ask Obama what he thinks about Baudrillard, lol. (Not that Obama actually has any political power, but just sayin')
He's gone. Gone.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That just scared the hell out of me, Drog.

I will not post anything about Insomnia out of fear that Alex will be reading. This man really puts his commenters under the microscope.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Hmmm... I read his article about “art and games” and some essays too (but not all). Nah...He's just referring to some well know ideas of well know philosophers (like Baudrillard, Wittgenstein etc.) while not adding much from himself (apart insults... and blabbing about “masses”, “lower-men”, “faggots”, “less intelligent readers”, “weak minds” etc. and mixing words from various theories without any context and meanings... this is all, but a serious writing), So consequently and more importantly he sees himself “opposite” to “mainstream”, ”game critics” - “THEM" in one word – but we lived in XXI age not XIX... and that is his main problem, I think. There is no spoon to fight with, there's no “mainstream”, there's no “critics”. Without “fight”, without “pseudo-intellectuals” not much left, none original thought, words not copied from others, ideas not said earlier. If he knows Nietzsche so well, he should remember main sign of “subhuman” mentality - “I'm good, because you are bad”. Oh, well.

aleph

Arcane
Insomnia.ac and icycalm are great. Seldom is it possible to get such a close and detailed look at a diseased mind. For anyone doing research in the field of mental disorders, this site is just a gold mine. So, icycalm if you are monitoring this, please never stop posting on your site.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Too bad he closed down the forums, apparently it was a real goldmine. Here are some compilations of his quotes:
the insomnia.ac lol thread
insomnia.ac lol thread EXTRA VERSION
So, here's what we are going to be doing in this thread. I will be quoting passages from Zarathustra, and people will be attempting to interpret them. Then, after enough attempts have been made, I will provide the correct interpretation, and move on to the next passage. I say "correct", though of course this will only be MY interpretation — which in theory you are of course welcome to challenge — but my advice to you would generally be to not bother. There is really no one who understands this book better than me, and there never has been (apart from Nietzsche himself, of course).
In sum: I am NOT saying that the games I prefer are the UNIVERSALLY BETTER games. What I AM saying is that I am the highest life-form so far to engage in game criticism, therefore my tastes will also be generally the highest. "Highest" here does not mean APPROPRIATE FOR EVERYONE — it means "appropriate for higher life-forms".
Raphel, normally when people email me I don't answer. I am only answering here because you are a long-time poster.

Dude, I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS ****. I HAVE THE FATE OF THE ENTIRE PLANET SITTING ON MY SHOULDERS.

Now, I realize you are incapable of understanding this, but nevertheless I just want TO BE LEFT ALONE TO GET MY WORK DONE.
It is not an accident that psychology proper begins with Nietzsche (Freud, Yung and Adler took all their main ideas from him, and wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him—); it is not an accident that game theory proper begins with me.
"People do not realize nor care how much time editing this forum takes from my day. And so they continue to post as if this place was gamefaqs — as if I had nothing better to do all day than sit in front of a computer making their retarded posts legible. Very well, then. Here is your last warning: If you so much as miss a comma or an apostrophe YOU WILL BE BANNED. If you post "fps" YOU WILL BE BANNED. If you post "2d" YOU WILL BE BANNED. Any retardation, no matter how minor, will not be tolerated. There are six billion people on this planet — I have nothing to lose by banning 5.9999999 billion of them — there will always be several million more to join my forum and contribute."

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Or both. That said I don't mind people with a big ego as long as they can back it up, and most of the time those with a big ego won't be able to.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Very well, then. Here is your last warning: If you so much as miss a comma or an apostrophe YOU WILL BE BANNED. If you post "fps" YOU WILL BE BANNED. If you post "2d" YOU WILL BE BANNED. Any retardation, no matter how minor, will not be tolerated."

In sum: I am NOT saying that the games I prefer are the UNIVERSALLY BETTER games. What I AM saying is that I am the highest life-form so far to engage in game criticism, therefore my tastes will also be generally the highest. "Highest" here does not mean APPROPRIATE FOR EVERYONE — it means "appropriate for higher life-forms".

THE OVERMAN PUT THE PERIOD OUTSIDE OF THE QUOTATIONS.

icycalm said:
Note 4: These instructions are very simple. Failure to follow them in any way, or emailing me about them, will prove that you are stupid and therefore unworthy of having an account here, in which case any account you may already have will be banned, and you can kiss goodbye any money you've sent me.

Note 5: Please note that the fee (which until recently used to be 10 euros) may rise at any time, and probably will, but users who've already paid it will never be called to cover the difference.

Constanza%20Trixie.jpg

What...why would anyone submit to this?

edit:

Drog said:

In point of fact, since I am currently the supreme life-form on this planet

89193.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You need to be some kind of moron to pay for a internet site.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
How can people take such individuals serious?
:what:

Gotta love the categories there.

"Artistic Art".

:salute:

Cassidy

Arcane
What a missed opportunity! insania.ac would be a much cooler domain name!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom