Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Georgian Police

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What better way to celebrate a 5000th post than with an LP of an awesome game?

Why, an LP of a Georgian game, obviously!

Georgian Police (or possibly just Police; there seems to be some inconsistency among the English sources, and I can't quite check the Georgian ones) is a first-person shooter developed by the Georgian government to promote their police force. Unlike America's Army, their goal doesn't seem to be recruitment, but rather presenting a more positive view of the police, which is understandable once you read about what kind of organization it seemed to be. 3D Shooter Legends had this to say about the game:

Usually in a computer game, protagonists are gangsters who kill police officers, rob banks and so on. To show his awareness of the project, Georgian Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili, speaking in a broadcast television station Imedi said they did the contrary - where the protagonist, a police officer who does not kill criminals, carries with respect to their norms stipulated by the law.
Sounds pretty interesting doesn't it? I have to admit this really piqued my curiosity. An FPS where the goal is to NOT shoot at people? More specifically, where the goal is to NOT shoot at criminals, but instead find some nonlethal way to bring peace and harmony? Sure, when people play an FPS they expect to shoot things, but one that deemphasizes shooting could yield some great results. Remember what other game did this? That's right, Thief, one of the most beloved non-CRPG here (and deservedly so). A non-violent sort of reverse-Thief, where you have to stop Garrett without actually shooting him in the face? I'm sold!

OK, I lie. The only reason I noticed the game is that it has "Georgian" in the title. If not for Liberal's endless droning about Georgia I would've never thought of playing it, let alone doing an LP of it. Still, the premise does sound pretty interesting, right?

Based on the "first person shooter" concept the game has a policeman (and it is a man), called Irakli shoot and kill armed bank robbers: it is perhaps typical of Georgia that the interior ministry seeks to promote the police principally as weilders [sic] of deadly force.
Or... maybe not.

Still, I need to do something for my 5000th, and this will do. The extremely quick among you may have even noticed this thread appeared for a few brief seconds earlier today, then was promptly deleted when I was not satisfied with the size of the images (they were at somethingx720 and taking too much space, so I downsized them again to 1024x640. Yep, that's just how dedicated I am to doing this game justice). So onward, to victory Georgia!

NQIdr.jpg

This is the splash screen. I'm assuming the building is a famous landmark in Georgia. Looks pretty cool I must say. Unlike what the English text at the bottom suggests, this game was NOT made by Epic. The game uses UE3 though. I had already found this since it installs into C:\UDK (Unreal Development Kit) by default, and has the usual UE folder structure (and everything game-specific in CookedPC). Funnily, the Movies folder has things like UE3_logo.bik and UT_loadmovie2.bik, but the first one isn't the UE3 logo and the second has nothing to do with UT (they're GeoPol's loading screens). I can only guess they left the UT names so they wouldn't have to change them in the code, the lazy bums.

AI0sV.jpg

This is one of the game's loading screens, showing every Georgian policeman's essential gear: handcuffs, baton, badge, and Bink Video.

cqi3J.jpg

And the main menu screen introducing Irakli, the player character. By association with what's written on the car, the game's title seems to be simply Police.

Quick translation for those of you who don't read Georgian: the 1st option starts the single player campaign, 2nd is a training course of sorts (kinda boring and can be completed without actually doing anything other than running for the exit, so not included in this LP), 3rd is the graphic options, and 4th sends you back to Windows.

FbVlq.jpg

The settings I used to play the game. Top one switches between full-screen and windowed, 3rd is for DOF (which is now off, as you can see; however, it will be back on for the intro, as I only figured out how to turn it off later on), no idea what the others do so left them on. Liberal, if changing either of the others makes the game look better, now's the time to mention it. Changing settings is a bit of a pain - any time you change anything it defaults back to 800x600 and windowed, which made experimenting with options 4 and 5 a bit annoying.

Anyway let's get this show rolling!

Part 1. Going Down The Toilet (Window)

NrSM5.jpg

This is the other loading screen, showing the Georgian police, erm, army? err... police doing... stuff.

DC3Jg.jpg

This is the start of the introductory cutscene, with our PC (right) and his trusty sidekick. Unfortunately everything is in Georgian so I have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Annoyingly, the intro can't be skipped on future replays. Pressing ESC just pauses it, which made me panic a bit (thinking the game had frozen) until I found out pressing ENTER will resume it.

h3tFZ.jpg

5nBnk.jpg

The radio comes in at this point.

99DM7.jpg

ljiaM.jpg

We're off to new adventures!

bSQLL.jpg

Here the camera pans, revealing the beautiful city of Tbilisi.

peGwW.jpg

No, you're not imagining things, two of the policemen are standing right in the middle of the street and the other police car looks like it's about to run them over.

FMFyn.jpg

But our hero performs a deft maneuver and evades them! (almost killing the pedestrian instead)

kXcCF.jpg

yVsM0.jpg

Dunno about you guys, but I think that standing in the middle of the road to discuss who-knows-what is probably not a very good idea...

E1K4f.jpg

Yep, the Georgian police believes in equal-opportunity.

MDFfj.jpg

Uh-oh. Evil lithuanian Georgian (or maybe Russian?) hitman!

0zqLO.jpg

0hj2p.jpg

One down.

MSKDw.jpg

xc5fh.jpg

Two down.

nx4Yo.jpg

Sidekick's also hit, though still alive at this point. Guy on the left got shot dead soon afterwards.

ebOv7.jpg

vxrRa.jpg

Hopeless fight?

tWNRd.jpg

Hey check out that graffiti, Liberal was here!

More to the point, there's a window we can get through. Though I thought we were trying to get into the building on the other side of the street...

HLuRk.jpg

After some romantic parting words, our hero goes in and the game proper begins!

fx2D0.jpg

Frkqe.jpg

Welcome to Unreal Engine 3. You can tell this is it because you're staring at the low-res textures, which the game always loads first, before then loading the real ones.

CY9MO.jpg

Much better! Let's get familiar with the game mechanics. As you'd expect from a good FPS, when sprinting the PC holds the gun to the side and accuracy goes out the window, as represented by the crosshair becoming much larger.

ugUF8.jpg

Hey, the game's also got ironsights! Now I'm impressed!

cpM2r.jpg

And headshots too! AND they ALWAYS result in insta-kill to the enemy. I think even Skyway's gonna approve of this game!

6hrOK.jpg

The bad guys even have to stop and reload their weapons, just like you (more on this in a minute)

vTOXq.jpg

By now you've probably guessed what the two counters at the bottom right represent. The top one's health, the bottom one's ammo. Yep, this game has an actual, honest to god health counter! With numbers going up to a hundred and everything! Just like a real FPS. None of that popamole consoletard Modern Gayfare regenerating hea-

eqeHA.jpg

48l7R.jpg

jEChB.jpg

Right. Never mind.

Well, at least the ammo counter isn't regenerating, so it can't have unlimited ammo, right? I wonder why you need to reload in this case. Let's try it and see.

SqQWt.jpg

NN0Ax.jpg

:rage:

Let's move on shall we?

LzXUp.jpg

Hey look, there is something in English after all. Oh yeah, and another way to tell you're playing UE3: funny ragdolls. Anyway let's pick up our first real weapon, which is ripped off from somewhere else. Apparently. (it's really easy to notice if you pay attention to the scratches - they're pretty much identical).

oDFQb.jpg

Anyway we move on, go up the stairs we saw earlier, and make our way through killing baddies.

wfP0Z.jpg

Small demonstration of the recoil effect in the game (and because I was trying to see if there really was an invisible total ammo counter - you do pick up extra AK74's at some points but not others, so I thought there might be one. Turns out there isn't and the picking up extras thing is totally useless). It looks worse than it is: it's actually pretty easy to control, but if you don't try to it goes pretty much all over the place, as you can see. Also, accuracy really does suffer a lot when not using ironsights, and sprinting and shooting at the same time with the AK is pure spray and pray. I must say I was impressed with the gunplay, I expected something much worse.

ShD2g.jpg

Continuing on through some corridors, I got to another set of stairs, and died my first (and only so far) death at the top. The game's pretty easy, but you can and will get killed if you blindly charge in without paying attention to what you're doing. Unfortunately there's no death scene of any kind - as soon as health hits zero you just immediately get a popup with two options. Top one sends you to the beginning of the level (now THAT'S a hardcore death mechanism! none of that auto-quickload bullshit), and I've no idea what the other one does; probably back to main menu.

Anyway, made my way back and killed everyone.

mzWYI.jpg

Welcome to your first invisible wall (of many). See that huge gap next to the sofa? You can't walk through. You can't crawl through. You can't even jump over it. In fact I don't know why they bothered with the jumping - so far I haven't had been able to use it a single time. At least the crawling allows you to sneak up on the baddies.

Y9QIq.jpg

So we're forced to go the long way round, through this passage filled with VHS tapes, of all things. Get with the times Georgia!

Sbrnm.jpg

All hail the Georgian flag! :salute:

PROTIP: You can't shoot the flags. The broken glass on the right side of the screen? that was me trying to see if I could get some rips into the flag. The bullets just pass through.

hrkUB.jpg

After some more shooting baddies we get to the other side of the Sofa of Doom, and climbing the stairs we reach the end of the level! (but not the game)

Cassidy

Arcane
I think we should get DU to give some "incentive" for Liberal to carry on with this LP, like making Liberal carrying on and finishing this LP as a condition for him to be allowed to keep posting in GD. Then he'd finally do something entertaining in the Codex for a change.

:smug:

ironyuri

The Georgians seem much less procedural than the departments in Police Quest, or SWAT.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Those terrorists were probably Russian spies.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
amazing. now for the israeli trooper simulator. Gaza Patrol~ :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Regenerating health and ammo...

DON'T ever fuck with the Georgian police.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
ironyuri said:
The Georgians seem much less procedural than the departments in Police Quest, or SWAT.
no kidding
ak47 to the face > shouting, tazer & plastic cuffs
gKPo9.gif

^the soldier looks proper grim for police duty

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Havoc said:
Regenerating ammo. Lolz!
Not quite. Just unlimited ammo. You do have to reload when your clip runs out, but it doesn't really matter when the pool you reload from is infinite.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Those terrorists were probably Russian spies.
Actually... nah, not gonna spoil the game's tweest.

poocolator said:
Turn off the bizarre undeserving font and we have a sexual contract, bro
Yeah I wish. There's no option for English. I even googled to make sure and went through the files trying to see any English localization. No luck.

Cassidy said:
making Liberal carrying on and finishing this LP
You don't like what I'm doing with the LP? :( You're just striking back at me because I criticized one of your LP's. Fair's fair, I'll take it like a man.

Crooked Bee said:
I'm highly sceptical
:love:

In other words, you've gotta be kiddin' me.
Wait what? :/

OK that does it. As a retaliation against Ms Bee's and Cassidy's comments I will continue the game all the way to the end and inflict the rest of the LP on your poor souls. Suffer like Georgia did?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sceptic said:
Crooked Bee said:
I'm highly sceptical

In other words, you've gotta be kiddin' me.
Wait what? :/

Nah, I was kiddin'. This is of course a highly entertaining LP. The new shit, yay.

Sceptic said:
As a retaliation against Ms Bee's and Cassidy's comments I will continue the game all the way to the end

:yeah:

Mission accomplished. ;)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Part 2. Garage Days.

Last time we left our Georgian hero Irakli he was on the verge of finishing the first level. I lied a bit; the stairs don't end the level, they lead to a couple more baddies and then the end of the level.

XnKNh.jpg

See the door-within-a door on the left? That is the end of the level and of course, like any good FPS, Police has a cutscene between each level.

OIy7J.jpg

Yep, hostage situation. And like any true Georgian hero, Irakli's first instinct when he sees helpless hostages is to...

8FWW3.jpg

... go fondle the women.

He then immediately proceeded to fondle the guy on the right (must be all the cock pics he was exposed to), but I wasn't quick enough with the screenshot.

xz68u.jpg

Sad music plays as the camera pans, revealing the carnage. Heroes that will forever live in our memories :salute:

(I never mentioned it, but the music's actually not bad throughout.)

Having had his fill fondling both genders, Irakli finally decided to do something about the dying man in the chair.

8Kjmi.jpg

Dying man whispers a couple of words in Irakli's ears, which we actually do get to hear, but I of course have no idea what he's talking about. They're effect on Irakli, however, is pretty obvious.

a8eXs.jpg

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

SK5mO.jpg

Baldie faints from the sheer sight of the Wrath of Irakli, but the more courageous civilian next to him talks about an elevator (I distinctly heard "lift" a couple of times).

zPDFJ.jpg

And the lift is our way to the next level!

NrSM5.jpg

Pkjtr.jpg

Underground parking lot? Mmm, that "let's go through the toilet window of the other building" thing is starting to make sense: he's gonna get into the building with all the hitmen through the parking lot.
Wait... why am I holding the handgun? WHERE IS MY AK74U? :rage:

e2J82.jpg

Much better :love:

d8EyA.jpg

Going through the lot killing baddies, we reach these stairs.

Oj6JN.jpg

More baddies. The way forward is still the stairway (behind me in this screenshot)

Js15l.jpg

And we've reached the top, where I am ashamed to admit I got stuck.

The wall pannel on the left? You can see it's some way away from the actual wall. If you go to the opposite end and peek through, you can see there's a hole in the wall large enough to crawl through. But you can't.

Broken stairs on the right? They look like you should be able to jump. You can't. Not because of the distance, but because you hit an invisible wall and fall down onto the stairs below.

ALelb.jpg

Aha, this MUST be it. Ledge on the side, huge gap in the wall? Come on, it's WAY too obvious. But... nope, not the way through. Again, invisible wall. Not at the opposite wall - you can't even get on the ledge or jump to the other side.

That's where I quit at the time. Later on it hit me. That sign over the lift button...

cZFhC.jpg

Could it really be?

wZgU7.jpg

:rage:

Of course this means I had to replay the first level, AND sit through the entire introduction and the inter-level cutscene, to get back to this point. That's how much I love you Codex.

VODhi.jpg

Anyway the elevator takes us into that derelict building we saw in the intro. After killing the guy in the yellow shirt I survey my environment. I also made the mistake of looking out the window that was behind me.

96kqV.jpg

:what:

Man, Tbilisi sure looks ugly.

Anyway, we move on through the doorway.

bxfHY.jpg

piGhd.jpg

DNj0h.jpg

In case you're wondering: yes, the game is as linear and corridorish as it appears.

W1q9H.jpg

This is an interesting detail. You occasionally see a baddie standing behind an overturned table like this. You'd expect they would use it for cover. You'd be wrong. This is no popamole shooter after all :smug:

1jCHx.jpg

Yeah, that's how subtle the game designers are about pushing you through the corridor.

ORsKD.jpg

The lack of baddies in the screenshots isn't because there are none, but because I always end up taking the screenshot after having killed them all. Still, the level's quite short, and we reach the end... and another cutscene!

L880X.jpg

Wait, how did the hostages teleport from one building to the other?

fXeNv.jpg

The gay connotations in this screenshot are overwhelming [/Jaesun]

VDXro.jpg

The cutscene abruptly switches back to the outdoors.

teWFf.jpg

Aaaaand it's the Georgian army to the rescue!

5qD1B.jpg

pHMMX.jpg

First-person view to put you in the shoes of a Georgian SWAT guy (all cutscene of course)

yIDUc.jpg

The SWAT team turns out to be as incompetent as the regular police as they fall for the ambush. Again.

wc21g.jpg

And start dropping like flies.

xyf2Y.jpg

oeyKj.jpg

blAWE.jpg

Fortunately the law of large numbers plays in their favor and they're eventually able to storm the building (wait, who IS shooting at them anyway? I thought I killed every living soul in both building already! Could it be... the hostages? TWEEST!)

wWOp8.jpg

Cut to an after-the-event scene.

fLLPX.jpg

This guy's really incorrigible.

qPju7.jpg

I almost expected the prisoners to be summarily executed, but I guess that wouldn't be very good publicity for the Georgian army/police.

BZHp1.jpg

Hey look, sidekick's still alive after all!

4TH7w.jpg

So is Chickie apparently. She hops on the ambulance.

aTsou.jpg

Man that's an ugly mug.

mCOgW.jpg

9wZlw.jpg

Yep, that's it. It wasn't a cutscene after all, but the ending. Not quite sure what the whole "Russian spy" thing was all about, supposedly you uncover one (or so I read somewhere), hence my comment in the previous post. Maybe you even do, but without knowing what everyone's talking about it's hard to tell. Anyway hope you enjoyed the LP as much as more than I enjoyed the game.

Get ready for my next LP when I reach 10K posts: Police. By then they might've added another level.

zool

Arcane
I love how the Georgian SWAT's equipment and pick-ups scream "Look how much of a Western country we are, our cops look like yours!!!".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Brother None said:
This game does Georgia proud :salute:
Hey, credit where credit's due. What was their budget? I can't imagine it being more than one million dollars (probably much less). They managed to use the same engine as Western games, with similarly 5-year-old graphics, unimaginative AI, bad ragdolls, linear and extremely short gameplay (and lots of cutscenes), regenerating health, the whole shebang... for less than $50M. Oh and just like Duke Nukem Forever you can only carry 2 guns :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sceptic said:
I can't imagine it being more than one million dollars (probably much less)

A million? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

I wasn't seriously criticizing. I'll mock Georgia to high heaven but heck, you could do worse. Still, if you got a low budget, why make a fake mainstream title? This I never get. But it always happens. Eh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom