Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Mass Effect 3 : They used to call it RPG

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

RK47

Patron
Chapter 2: Restless Spirits

Reserved for Chapter 2: My name is Shepard

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not sure what game you took this from - but looks like its going to be a ton of fun to read!

Gogo Target Game of the Year!

*points his cursor on the thread*

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
RK47 said:
Mrowak said:
In before tl;dr...

Happened to me bro :(

I always listen to my critics.

End of Line.

Volus.jpg

Nah bro, I actually read that story of the noble halfiling magician. It's just it was not likely to elicit many responses - the same happened to me with the Christmass story (I actually received some tl;dr messages - I should have predicted that). By all means, though repost it here if only for posterity.

lightbane

Arcane
Oh well, I expected another Arcanum lp, dunno how will you do the lp with this one though, we'll see what happens...

PS: What about the King Arthur's lp??

RK47

Patron
Don't get too excited, guys. It's just a demo level. Probably 1 or 2 levels before it ends. Bioware really done a solid piece of work here. They really removed all the unnecessary RPG elements.

RK47

Patron
Padding thread to hit next page before second update. It's very graphic intensive. I never seen anything like this. I've yet to see recurring characters, but there's a brilliant twist at the start. Awesome, work by Gaider, really.

OK we're on page two. Ready for the preview guys? Extremely awesome. Dragon Age III will have a hard time topping this plot twist. Don't read further if you don't want to spoil it!

Coboney

Scholar
Wow - this sounds great RK! Looking forward to it!

How many Awesome buttons are there?

RK47

Patron
Coboney said:
Wow - this sounds great RK! Looking forward to it!

How many Awesome buttons are there?

Coboney, you have no fucking idea, man! I'm so excited about this update! Let's get it!

01.jpg

02.jpg

Oh, this preview copy only comes with the Soldier class, don't worry, Ray Muzyka assured biotics will be there, as well as Technician etc. But who cares, Commander Shepard is a soldier, amirite?

03.jpg

Just look at the clean interface, gone are the ugly HUD when you pick your quick skills to use. The energy clearly shown on bottom right (I assume it's for shield) and no visible health bar. That's right, wounds are merely indicated by how bloody your screen gets! Immersive!

04.jpg

Wow, they really stripped out all the unnecessary RPG stats. But I wonder if that's all there, to it. I felt a bit down, but Riccitelo sent me a mail to play further iin, there's a surprise waiting for me. I LOVE surprises!

05.jpg

Oh, look, a dead guy!

06.jpg

Awww.

07.jpg

Nice models. I like that they made the gun look more earth-like and realistic. I hate those thermal clip shit. Definitely an incline of extreme proportion with no glowy parts. Black matte finish is stealthy and cool. Always.

08.jpg

Oooh. Ooh. Time to experience Bioware's famous award winning game movie!

09.jpg

10.jpg

Huh, that's me, right? Or is that?

11.jpg

12.jpg

Oh, god..he sounds so familiar...

13.jpg

Could it be?!

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Shepard?!

18.jpg

Wait, what?!

19.jpg

20.jpg

NO!

Shepard! OH GOD. I can't believe this! They imported Shepard from my previous game...and killed him off in the first 5 mins!? EXTREME! I can see why they brought David Gaider on board. He was really good at Dragon Age 2 tale of tragedies, the protagonist Hawke really went through a lot of shit in that game, and he really brought grim-darkness and daring twist to the story. That's right guys, Shepard is dead. You're now Alcatraz.

21.jpg

Fuck. Time for action!

22.jpg

Much like the usual elbow strike that Shepard used to get in ME2, we can melee as well with the V key.

23.jpg

Ah, a classic radio transmission communication. Bioware really knew how to tell a story. I've transcribed the radio chat for posterity.

Voice 1: Couple live ones too, I think.

V2: Right bring them up.

V1: Looks like...Marine Special Ops or something. Yeah, Force Recon flashes.

V2: Then they're in this. Get them stabilized and find out what they know. Lockhard wants this piece of shit bad.

Oh. I don't know what to make of it, who are these guys? Are they Cerberus? And the marines must be those guys in the subs. But Bioware clearly knew how to write a good story, and what better story is there than to answer the player's questions right after it's asked?

24.jpg

A nearby laptop records provide some background story.

Female: We're at fifth day now, and we've still made virtually no progress in halting the spread of infection in victims of the Manhattan virus. Anti-virals have some temporary effect, most notably Tramarovax and its generic rivals, but ultimately the process always resumes. In the end, we can do nothing but watch these people die. And our situation has not been helped by heavy-handed policing from...

Male: Akhila, I really don't think you want to get political right now -

Female: No, Jeff - they need to know. I want to go on record hero. The CELL martial law crackdown has been brutal and disastrous from its inception.

Male: Big surprise.

Female: These PMC goons have done nothing but spread panic and get in our way from day one. They clearly aren't up for the job and their brutality has only increased as the situation worsens. And now with the whole island now sealed off at Commander Lockhart's orders...

Male: Hey - you can't just - Akhila!

Female: What the hell you think you're doing -

Angry voice: Get out of the way, doc. This is for your own good.

Fuck these guys. They must be behind this Reaper invasion somehow!

The next transmission confirmed my worst fears.

25.jpg

They really killed Shepard?

26.jpg

No time for sorrows. Let's demonstrate the power jump! Remember last time when Shepard had to activate some drawbridges to get a gap like this?

27.jpg

No more! And that's not just it!

29.jpg

Fucking ledge climbing, man! We pushed a door to head outside.

30.jpg

Holy shit.

31.jpg

It's...beautiful.

32.jpg

Fucking A, I knew ME 2 Illium was something, but this is on another level altogether!

33.jpg

The suit overrides my commands, as the next batch of tutorial section come into play.

34.jpg

Looks like the visor mode is used to highlight targets of opportunities as well as resources plus objectives in the battlefield. Pretty neat concept. Hitting the F key while looking over a target will pin it on the mini-map and keeps it visible, allowing you to avoid patrols and dispatch them easily.

35.jpg

The visor mode will also highlight possible tactical options. A neat concept. You can ignore it altogether and go with guns blazing, but it's obvious Mass Effect 3 will be a thinking man's shooter RPG.

36.jpg

Looks like control is back to me! I make my way down to the ammo box and got spotted. Quickly, I switched the ammo clip on my pistol.

37.jpg

38.jpg

It's party time! I know a lot of people would hate the First Person perspective, but they need to realize this is what Mass Effect is meant to be. Accuracy, immersion is not sacrificed as Shep-err...Alcatraz battles in his powerful nanosuits on the streets.

39.jpg

Here's on of the example: move quickly, and motion blur will get in the way of aiming your shots. Marvelous concept that works well! Fluid and streamlined, yet completely visceral and satisfying.

40.jpg

Then I realized what happened to all those wonderful cover system that Mass Effect is so famous for? A wonderful feature which allows tactical engagements to unfold over a series of tense shield recharges and power cooldowns? Is it totally gone? Is Alcatraz limited to just crouching behind cover and then standing up?

41.jpg

No, sir. It's still in. Crouch behind a cover. Then you get this mouse command on trigger. WONDERFUL!

42.jpg

Hold Mouse Button 2 and pop out to take a shot. Fucking A. This is how ME series should've been done from the start. Nothing was lost. And the aiming down sights felt more lifelike than over the shoulder cams provide. But then I realized, there's something I could do in the intro to the last guy! I dashed up to the last man and hit the F key...

43.jpg

FUCK YES!

44.jpg

THIS. Is what made Mass Effect the best series ever! It consumes energy when you grab someone but fucking hell, collar grabbing and tossing them to the ocean felt good.

45.jpg

Remember missing out on that credit chit, thermal clip, or even a weapon upgrade cause you never bothered to check the corners in ME2? No more of tha! Activate visor mode here to scan the battlefield and take stock of possible loots and ammo you can salvage! Triple AAA feature right there.

46.jpg

This is our first rifle in the game. So excited.

47.jpg

Different handling, bigger clip size, with more damage than the pistol. Full auto. Awesome.

48.jpg

I'd update more, but I'm gonna take a short break here and hopefully you're looking forward to Mass Effect 3 as I am. Guaranteed the Target Game of the Year 2012!

It definitely looks heaps more fun than ME2! Shep's even got upgraded with jumping and climbing - I never thought humans could do that! BW lied to us all these years...

Awesome El Pee, RK47. Looking forward to more EXTREME button presses.

I just wish this game featured more romance sequences:

Coboney

Scholar
You were right... the concentrated awesome here is too much!

So... this is how they handled Shepherd dying. Interesting ... aside from how did he get from the ship to earth if he died? Hm. Would be curious how Gaider handled that with this obvious EXTREME writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom