Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1: Crash
Chapter 2: Life (and Death) in the City
Chapter 3: The Morning After
Chapter 4: Ball of Fate
Chapter 5: The Thieves Underground
Chapter 6: The Tale of Two Engineers and Greed
Chapter 7: The Goddamn Bad Man
Chapter 8: Black Ops
Chapter 9: Darkness over Tarant
Chapter 10: The Necromancer and the Dead Dog
Chapter 11: Despaired
Chapter 12: Arronax and The Derian-Ka
Chapter 13: The Wheel, Broken
Chapter 14: The Trail to Qintarra
Chapter 15: That Bridge to Tarant
Chapter 16: Where in Tarant is Renford A. Terwilliger?
Chapter 17: The Times of Change
Chapter 18: Good Intentions
Chapter 19: The Boil Massacre
Chapter 20: Onward, Caladon
Chapter 21: The Truth
Chapter 22: Pre-Negotiation Discussions
Chapter 23: Terms of Agreement
Chapter 24: The Whytechurch Murders
Chapter 25: L'anamelach
Chapter 26: Full Circle
Chapter 27: T'sen-Ang
Chapter 28: Scars will heal
Chapter 29: Reunion
Chapter 30: Faith & Falsehoods
Chapter 31: The Opposite of Truth
Chapter 32: True Ascension
Chapter 33: First Encounter
Chapter 34: Kingdom of Decline
Chapter 35: Sadly Ever After
Chapter 36: Nasrudin
Chapter 37: Into the Wastes
Chapter 38: Retconnaisance
Chapter 39: Arronax
Chapter 40: Atonement Begins
Chapter 41: Allies from the Void
Chapter 42: Kerghan
Chapter 43: Goodbye, Arcanum

01.jpg

me.jpg
This is great. I just survived a crash and a lunatic came to greet me. I guess they have shit for brains in this part of the world. I tried to dissuade this guy from worshiping me as some sort of half-god, but I guess I'll play along for now. Fella's name is Virgil. He seemed quite agitated about this whole airship crash survivor business. Some blabbering of prophecies and half-elf reincarnation. It's all part of his Panarii religion. Imagine that. Whatever. I'm going to go loot the dead bodies for some loose change and get myself out of this dump. Mmm...the gnome's ring look valuable. GB inscription? Must be the owner. "The boy" I suppose. P.Schuyler is inscribed within the ring....probably the manufacturers. Oh well. Time to get a move on. *snaps fingers*
02.jpg

virgil.jpg
Yikes! Orcs!
me.jpg
Calm down, you dolt! It's just summoning magic.
virgil.jpg
Oh, that's nice, uh, sir. Do you know how to fight?
me.jpg
I don't need to. Kill that purple fuck for me. *points*
virgil.jpg
Wha-?
03.jpg

me.jpg
Cheap, weak and plenty. The summoned orcs drain my stamina periodically, but it sure beats waving my fists around like an idiot. I don't like getting myself dirty. The purple fuck's chest had very little of value. A gem and very little else. How disappointing.
virgil.jpg
Look sir, a letter for a loved one from one of the dead. It's for someone in Tarant...perhaps...
04.jpg

me.jpg
Keep it if you want, Virgil. Now, which way to Shrouded Hills?
virgil.jpg
Towards that stone altar over there.
05.jpg

me.jpg
More shit blabbering. Believe what you want, Virgil. We're getting out of this dump.
06.jpg

me.jpg
Oh, look. A wise guy.
virgil.jpg
I mean no disrespect, uh, sir..but I don't trust this bastard one bit...
me.jpg
Shut up, Virgil. I do the talking.
virgil.jpg
Fine, I'm sure you know best what to do. But be careful with him... I don't like the look in his eye.
me.jpg
We have two orc muscles behind us. Have some backbone, man.

The cloaked figure gave Virgil a hard look, then turns towards me, nodding, "Yes, that's more reasonable. Now why are you here?"

me.jpg
Perhaps you ought to tell me what YOU are doing here...

"I'm from Shrouded Hills ...a town not far from here..I saw the crash and..."

me.jpg
(For fuck sake, another fanatic?) I don't feel like speaking about it...leave me alone.

"I'm afraid that's not an option here. You see, I'm here to see if there were any survivors..."

me.jpg
I don't like your tone, sir. Get out of my way.

"And I'm making SURE there are no survivors. Now you die!" he lunged forward.

me.jpg
Hah! Fool!

07.jpg

virgil.jpg
It might be a good idea to find out who owns that ring...
me.jpg
Point taken, Virgil. Let's search this asshole. Hmm...what a strange amulet. Ah well, to Shrouded Hills.

08.jpg

The trip to Shrouded Hills will be too long for me to maintain the summoned orcs. I dismissed them with a wave of my hand.

09.jpg

Shrouded Hills is a backwater village devoid of any excitement. I quickly followed Virgil's direction, anxious to get out of the blazing sun.

10.jpg

Well, shit. Two dead bodies and pools of blood. The letter interest me most.

11.jpg

Sound advice. I guess we should head out ot Tarant when we're ready. I searched the dead assailants and found identical amulets. A cult perhaps. A search on the nearby chest net some gold.

virgil.jpg
Sorry to interrupt, but it seems Joachim has discovered something...these individuals seem to be a part of some larger plot. A plot against YOU...
me.jpg
Way to go, Captain Obvious. So, who's Joachim?
virgil.jpg
He is ...well.. someone who helped me out when I needed it. I met him in a small village, at a Panarii temple, I was uh...a bit down on my luck. He showed me that you don't always have to take what life gives you...that there's always a better path, and...
me.jpg
BORING. What happened to you anyway?
virgil.jpg
I'd rather not talk about it, anymore. But Joachim is a great man, well-versed in the ways of the Panarii, and also in the ways of the world. If he thinks we're in trouble, then we are. Let's get out of here, and get to Tarant.
me.jpg
Fine, but before that, let's stop by the bar.

12.jpg

me.jpg
Gee, what a coincidence. Do tell!

"I'll make this short. Do you fancy yourself a thieving type, stranger?"

me.jpg
(Not really, but who cares!) I'm a man of many talents, friend. Continue...

"I thought I was right about you. Listen,...I'm no thief, but I've got some information to help us both get rich....there's a bank in town, and there's at least 500 gold pieces in that safe, as we speak. This here is the combination to the bank's safe. Do I make myself clear stranger?"

me.jpg
Crystal, my good man. What's the catch?

"We split it right down in the middle. And word has it that the Bowen Gang is gonna rob the bank any day now, so you better do it as soon as possible. And if I find out yer trying to skip town, I'll get the old doctor after you..."

me.jpg
Who's the doctor?

"Old Doc Roberts is the only real law this here town got...god knows Constable Owens lilly-livered hide ain't going to do nuthin' about nuthin'. Alright. I give you the the combination to the safe, you break into the bank and steal that money. Then you meet me here before noon on the following day, and give me my 250 gold. If I don't see your face here, then I go straight to Roberts and tell 'im who stole the money...."

me.jpg
Deal.

It'd be foolish to break into the bank during the day. And there's a guard next to the teller. I've no lockpicking skills, so I'll think up of something later.

The general stores pay decent price for the gem and provides me the stamina potions I needed. The blacksmith didn't have much to offer, and business has been bad with the cursed mine. Naturally, he asked me to procure a pure ore, but I refused to do such menial task for a mere dagger. The junk store owner is more useful, however...

13.jpg

The man, Riztezze, doesn't really know anything about the owner of the ring, but he admits knowing about its manufacturer.

"P. Schuyler and Sons? A very important piece of this puzzle, eh, friend? Ristezze has been very free with information, no? What have you to offer Ristezze?"

me.jpg
What do you want in return?

"Well..if you were able to locate a camera, or something of Bessie Toone's, Ristezze might tell you about P.Schuyler and Sons and where you might find them..."

me.jpg
(I've got the camera off that dead reporter already. No big loss if I trade it.) I have the camera already. Let's trade...

"Wonderful! Ristezze shall tell you what you want to know about P. Schuyler and Sons. A respected jeweler in Tarant, a strange family, but ALWAYS good business. And here...Their address in the city is 44 Devonshire Way. Good luck, my friend!"

That's settled. Let's meet the Doc.

14.jpg

me.jpg
I'm Alain Gilford. Some rummy in the saloon asked me to rob the bank for him.
doc.jpg
Oh, he did, did he? Damned Bens! I'll have to take care of that fool! You seem an honest sort, at least. You interested in any work?
me.jpg
(Heheh, I still have the combination with me.) Sure, provided the pay is right.
doc.jpg
Word has reached me that the Bowen Gang is coming to rob the bank. I could use someone to watch my back, and there ain't no one worth their salt in this town.
me.jpg
(Score.) What's the pay?
doc.jpg
That depends, Mr. Gilford. Do you fancy yourself a magicker or a scientician?
me.jpg
I've been known to dabble in the magickal arts.
doc.jpg
I happen to have come into possession of a magickal sword a while back. If you were to back me up when the trouble starts, I'd give it to you afterwards.
me.jpg
Alright. Where do I wait for you?
doc.jpg
Meet me in front of the bank.
me.jpg
(And right after the Bowens are dealt with, the money's mine!)
15.jpg

me.jpg
(Hm. No. I shouldn't tell anyone about the crash. Not even a bit.) Mind your own business.

"Please sir! I must know! Were you on the blimp or not? I have a very good reason for wanting to know! I beseech you..!

me.jpg
I told you that I'd rather not speak of it. Good day...

"Hmph! No need to be rude, sir. I suppose you'll be staying here in Shrouded Hills. I'm sure we'll be seeing one another again..."

He's too interested in the crash, in my opinion. I spotted the Doc outside the bank with his revolver at the ready. Looks like it's time for action!

16.jpg

me.jpg
I'm with you.
17.jpg

So, they've got guns. No biggy.

18.jpg

me.jpg
Kill them.
19.jpg

me.jpg
I could always cast a little bit of my magic to stun them to speed things up.
20.jpg

And that's that.

22.jpg

The sword will serve Virgil well. I waited till the doc returned to his house and set my next plan into motion. The bank guards are dead, just like the robbers. Perfect.

23.jpg

me.jpg
I'm here to make a withdrawal. REACH FOR THE SKY!
23a.jpg

me.jpg
What the fuck? Get her, boys!
24.jpg

The dumb bitch ran into the vault, obviously intending to lock herself in.

25.jpg

Not a chance! We dashed in as the vault slammed shut behind us. I walked towards the safe with the slip of combination in my hands, making the withdrawal as a rain of blows sent the old teller to oblivion. The satisfying weighty sack's content entered my purse and I filched the vault's key from her corpse. Thanking her as I left.

26.jpg

me.jpg
To Tarant, boys!
27.jpg

Fuck. a pair of ogres with one human guarding my exit. This is too tough for me.

me.jpg
(Must I be blocked at every turn?!) Perhaps there is a way we might circumvent the fee?

"Perhaps...there may be something you could do for me. It seems my reputation here in town has grown expositionally,...I'm having trouble acting without the local constable's err, constant attention...they've gone and begun preparations for another bridge to the south of here. If there were some way you could implode their efforts, I'd appreciate it...we could make you an honoristical member of our crew..."

me.jpg
How exactly, would one IMPEDE their efforts?

"Shrouded Hills has recently received a shipment of construction materials. They're located right next to the bridge..."

me.jpg
Say no more, Lukan!

28.jpg

me.jpg
Get to work, boys!

It took minutes, and I returned to the Witless One.

29.jpg

me.jpg
(Sigh. Whatever.) Sure, Lukan. Go ahead, Shoot.

" Well, I'm not quite sure where you're headed, but just about any fair-sized metroglodyte should have what is known - to those IN the know - as the Thieves Underground.

me.jpg
(Interesting!) What, exactly, is the purpose behind this organization?

" The Underground is comprised of many groups of thieves all across the contingent. Any one of these groups will know of jobs that are available, and they make sure that no two thieves are doing the same job at once..."

me.jpg
Sounds pretty established.

" Very. A very secretive. They won't just talk to anyone either. You've got to be subtle and silent...you know...very thief-like."

me.jpg
Lukan! I don't think you make one mistake in that sentence!

"What do you mean?"

me.jpg
Nothing! Thank you for the information, Lukan. I'll be sure to check it out when I get to Tarant. Farewell!

Time to leave this dump. Eh...what?

30.jpg

Getting tired of this shit.

me.jpg
I recommend you get the hell out of my way, sir.

"Don't threaten me, stranger. Hand it over, or you're a dead man.."

me.jpg
Let's get it on, then!

31.jpg

Little shit didn't stand a chance, an orc on his back and stunning blows from my magick finished him easily. A quick search revealed the same cult amulet and a letter.

32.jpg

Guess they wanted to kill me.

33.jpg

me.jpg
Virgil, help me out here.
virgil.jpg
Sir?
me.jpg
Help me feed the fish. C'mon.
34.jpg

With a loud splash, the gnome disappeared into the depths of the river.

me.jpg
All done. Let's go to Tarant.[/url]

ironyuri

:incline:

Needs MOAR xTREME though. Maybe you could have named the character SHEPHARD?

RK47

Patron
Thor Kaufman said:
are you going the cheese route and get the vorpal bunny sword?

I have no idea such a thing existed. Please. Tell me more.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RK47 said:
Thor Kaufman said:
are you going the cheese route and get the vorpal bunny sword?

I have no idea such a thing existed. Please. Tell me more.
Eh, it's just the Stillwater blade. The name slipped me for a second. It has the spell "Succour beast" which summons a vorpal bunny at 100 magical aptitude iirc.
Get an elf with sold your soul, dark helm and some spells and you can get the bunny at a pretty low level.

Iirc followers also randomly use spells if their weapons provide it or healing from staves in inventory but not many followers would have a high enough magick aptitude to summon bunnies. Perhaps a dark helmed Zan Alurin.

RK47

Patron
I have to check that out sometime...hehe. Thanks for the tip.

Radisshu

Prophet
If anyone can LP this fucker it's probably you. Good job so far.

RK47

Patron
Radisshu said:
If anyone can LP this fucker it's probably you. Good job so far.

Thanks. I'll try to finish it.

me.jpg
Finally, Tarant! After killing a bunch of wolves, and would-be assassins, it's nice to see a little bit of civilization isn't it, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
Yes, let's uh...find that P.Schuyler's shop...
me.jpg
Best to just ask a guard. Tarant's look big enough to get lost in.
01.jpg

me.jpg
Why thank you, is there any work to be had around here?

"You would have to ask around for any employment opportunities, I am not aware of any, per se," the guard politely replied.

me.jpg
No matter, let's shop a bit and sight-see, shall we? Hmm, that lady looks striking...

02.jpg

me.jpg
Why, you are correct! I am searching for gainful employment. (Can never have too much gold!)
cass.jpg
We can't talk here. Please, meet me at my house later, and I will fill you in on my needs. I reside at 3 Lungsten Road. Good day.
me.jpg
I really like the sound of that! Good day, miss.
virgil.jpg
Ahem - P.Schuyler, sir?
me.jpg
On it, Virgil! Let's see what news these days...young man, a paper please! *hands the lad 2 coins.*
03.jpg

me.jpg
Hmph. Absolutely rubbish. One day, my name will be there and I'll....wait. They haven't gotten news of the Zeppelin crash yet?
virgil.jpg
Perhaps it's best if there isn't any news of it..else they may share news of the survivor.
me.jpg
You're quite right, Virgil. Oh, look, a tailor! Come, let's get myself some new threads!
04.jpg

As I left the store, dressed in my spiffy new smoking jacket, a man with a worried look on his face caught my attention. He was gazing at a sewer grating in front of him, deep in thought. It is obvious he is in distress.

me.jpg
What seems to be the problem, sir?
07.jpg

me.jpg
A pleasure. What are you doing out here on the street?
man.jpg
Oh, bloody bother! I woke up this morning, you know...took my early trip to the loo. So I'm washing my hands, and my wedding ring falls off! Right down the sink and disappears! And, I went out with the lads last night...we had a few pints too many, and didn't get home until late. SO! You know what the wife is going to think. I thought I might go down into the sewers and see if I could find it, but I hear dreadful things about the sewers.
me.jpg
Sounds like a problem. How much are you paying if I get it back for you?
man.jpg
Would you, now? I'd be so appreciative! If you were to go down there, and find the ring for me, I'd pay you 150 gold pieces!
me.jpg
It's a deal. Let's go Virgil!
08.jpg

me.jpg
Lots of rats, but I only have to get my shoes dirty. Squish 'em for me!
09.jpg

me.jpg
All done? Nice work...let's see...ugh. There it is..Gawd, let's get out of this shithole!
10.jpg

me.jpg
Gold is always good. Now to meet up with Ms. Pettibone...
05.jpg

me.jpg
My discretion depends on what you are asking of me, miss...?
cass.jpg
Excuse me, where are my manners? I am Mrs. Cassandra Pettibone, wife of Basil Pettibone, lower assemblyman of gnomish conglomerate within the Industrial Council. Welcome to my humble abode.
me.jpg
(Damn, she's taken. By a gnome, too! What is the world coming to?!) Pleased to meet you...now about this job?
cass.jpg
Here look at this.
06.jpg

cass.jpg
Have you heard about the elven burial catacombs they've unearthed in the Morbihan Plains? Look at the engraving of this funerary stone! It is simply fabulous. I must have it!
me.jpg
(Ahh, the crazy lifestyle of the rich!) That seems a bit dangerous, what are you willing to pay?
cass.jpg
I would be prepared to offer you 250 coins for your troubles.
me.jpg
(It's a little low...but I doubt I could negotiate.) I suppose 250 will suffice.
cass.jpg
Excellent! Let me mark your map with the location of the elven tombs. Please hurry back with my treasure, I cannot wait to see Mrs. Willoughsby's face turn green with envy!
me.jpg
Sigh. OK, Virgil. Let's head to P.Schuyler's.
11.jpg

me.jpg
(This looks like the place..is the dwarf the door man?) I don't believe we've met. Your name is?
12.jpg

virgil.jpg
Excuse me. You don't have to take such treatment from this dwarf. Bloody annoying little runt, if you ask me...
me.jpg
Your opinion has been noted, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
I mean, look at him! Putting on airs like he's some sort of native dwarf...I'd be surprised if he's ever been out of the city in his entire life. You can always smell a city dwarf a mile away. He's probably got a manicure. His beard looks a bit scraggly, too. Probably out past his bed time.
me.jpg
*stunned for a moment* Virgil. That was awesome...And what seems to be the problem, sir dwarf?
mag.jpg
I was saying that it was bloody rude of you to be asking me, a dwarf, for his name. It's not something to be thrown out and away like the day's rubbish!
me.jpg
Why don't you just have a cup of 'shut the fuck up', you're just a damn dwarf. What's so special?
mag.jpg
You think you're made of the stuff to help me reign it in, outlander? You'd better be sure. A dwarf fights every battle as if it's his last....
me.jpg
*sizes the dwarf* (No weapons. To hell with him.) You're a dwarf? With THAT beard, I figured you for a halfling!
13.jpg

14.jpg

me.jpg
Well, that's that.
virgil.jpg
We could've just walked off, but I guess he asked for it.
me.jpg
Yup, let's see what's he got. Ooh, leather armor ...too bad it's midget sized. We can always sell this. And a book and an old bracelet. *flips through book* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
15.jpg

virgil.jpg
What's so funny, sir?
me.jpg
Nothing, Virgil. Just don't follow what you read in books. Might get you killed. *chuckles* Dibs on his gauntlets.*wears it*
virgil.jpg
Well, shall we, sir? *pushes the door open*
me.jpg
Yeah, lets.
16.jpg

me.jpg
Hello, James. I'd like to inquire about this ring...it's made here isn't it.

"I'm very sorry, sir, but we don't guarantee the quality of our products unless they were purchased directly from us. Now if there's nothing else..."

me.jpg
No, you don't understand. Perhaps if I spoke to Mr. Schuyler?

"That's quite impossible. The Schuylers are extremely busy men, and I KNOW they can't be bothered with something as trivial as your concern with a product you didn't even buy..." James dismissed us in haste.

me.jpg
(Enough of this. A little intimidation might work.) Listen, Mr. Kingsford. I RECOMMEND you let me in here...

"On what grounds do you RECOMMEND that I let you in here?" he asked, slightly worried.

me.jpg
On the grounds that you're going to bleed, otherwise...

17.jpg

He fought hard, but our blades stuck onto him deep. I snatched the key from his pockets and unlocked the trap door leading to the Schuyler's office...or that's what I thought until we descended down the ladder...

18.jpg

me.jpg
I didn't know jewelers mine for their gems right beneath their office as well.
virgil.jpg
Best be careful, sir. I sense something...
me.jpg
Me too, Virgil.

No sooner I stepped deeper into the catacombs, a figure erupted from beneath the dirt, its hands reaching out at me!

19.jpg

me.jpg
Zombies!
20.jpg

me.jpg
Time to uneven the odds!
21.jpg

me.jpg
Deal with them!

Half a dozen more spawned from their graves. Virgil and the summoned creatures began to tire. But finally they prevailed. I quickly checked the surroundings for loot. A nearby chest was trapped, it unleashed a poisoned dart at me.

me.jpg
Goddamn, I hope whatever is inside is worth it!
22.jpg

me.jpg
Hell yeah!
virgil.jpg
Seems a bit small for your size, sir. But it is indeed magickal. Should fetch a good price.
me.jpg
Yep...can't you do anything about this blasted poison?
virgil.jpg
I recommend we ascend and recover our strength, sir. I do not have much left in me to cast another spell.
me.jpg
Oh well, we can sell the armor first, I guess.

Virgil recommends to get the item identified by a wise woman first to increase its price. Along the way, we ran across a curious shop called 'Madam Lil's.' It did not take long for me to figure out what they're actually selling.

23.jpg

me.jpg
(....mmm.) That is a little pricey...Do you have any inexpensive options?
madam.jpg
Well, for 25 coins, we have a little something to satisfy our more deviant clientele, Belle, our sheep.
me.jpg
No. That's not what I meant.
madam.jpg
Tell you what...I might have a little something for you to do, in exchange for some time with one of our girls. Are you interested?
me.jpg
OF COURSE I AM INTERESTED.
madam.jpg
Cassie was over servicing Mr. Mooreland at his house last week...She left a beautiful ruby necklace behind. If you could retrieve it, I would make sure one of the girls took real good care of you ....

I didn't even let her finish the sentence before I made my run towards the Mooreland residence.

24.jpg

me.jpg
(Looks like the housemaid found it. Good.) I'm sure Madam Lil's will be glad you got to it first. Where is it?

"What are you gonna give me as my reward?" she asked.

me.jpg
I'm sorry you're not happy, but I've got to have that necklace back. And I'm not paying you a single gold for it.

She begins to pout, "I think I deserve a little sumthin' for my effort!"

me.jpg
All you deserve is a good beating from my henchmen if you don't give that necklace to me. Now.

Her face turned pale with fright and she hurriedly retrieved the necklace from her secret stash. "Here! Take it! Now get out, before I call the guards!"

me.jpg
And tell them what? You took someone else's property? Moron!

25.jpg

Yessssss. I rubbed my palms together gleefully...let's start from the rightmost girl.

alice.jpg
I'm Alice. Have you been a bad boy?
me.jpg
Uh..um...bad?
alice.jpg
I'll give you the chastening you need...make you pay for all you've done...Don't worry, I won't leave any scars...And when you've had enough, I'll use the searing heat of my lips to alleviate your pain....
me.jpg
Uh..uh...
alice.jpg
Shall we begin?
me.jpg
Can I tie you up instead?
alice.jpg
If that's what you want, then you need to talk to Cassie. I am here to give punishment...Shall we proceed to my chamber?
me.jpg
NO. The second girl must be it!
cassie.jpg
I'm Cassie. Would you like to teach me the proper way for a lady to behave?
me.jpg
What do you want me to teach you, Cassie?
cassie.jpg
I like it rough. Take your aggressions out on me. I'll be your little whipping post. ...I have some rope in my room, you can tie me up...if you'd like.
me.jpg
:bounce:
virgil.jpg
:(
me.jpg
So it takes a real man to take care of you, eh?
cassie.jpg
Oh yeah! Give it to me like only a full-blooded human can! Let me feel your power!
me.jpg
Oh, I'll give you something, honey....:bounce:
cassie.jpg
Oh, honey...I've been such a bad girl..Are you ready to take care of me?
me.jpg
:yeah:
28.jpg

29.jpg

:bounce:

spekkio

Arcane
I'm not going to read it until it reaches at least page 83.

:rpgcodex:

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looking good RK! Added to watch list.

Going to be interesting to see how you tell the story of Arcanum.

RK47

Patron
I've decided to resize the image sizes to 800x600, to allow easier reading of the text. Hope there isn't a problem with this. The main focus of the action is centered around it anyway.

01.jpg

me.jpg
That was....something. Virgil, help me up. *Gets up* Say, Virgil, have you been to Tarant before? Is there any more wonderful places like this? Or perhaps places to avoid? *buttons up his shirt*
virgil.jpg
Tarant? I don't, uh, know much about the place. *looks uncomfortable* I don't much like cities...always feel so crowded, hedged in. I'd rather not say anymore about it.
me.jpg
You're such a killjoy, Virgil. *walks out to the lobby*
madam.jpg
How was it, sir?
me.jpg
My dear madam, is there anything else I could do to earn time with a girl?
madam.jpg
Hmmm...let me think...Ah yes, I know just the thing. We have a particular patron whose been quite negligent in his payments of late. If you could persuade him to pay his debt...
me.jpg
Crystal clear, madam! Just point me to the right location and I'll get to it!
madam.jpg
But mind you, don't hurt him. We don't want to damage the patrons.
me.jpg
Very well, let's go, Virgil. Looks like the fellow's at the Bridesdale Inn and owes the Madam 400 coins. *walks towards the inn* Virgil, what's a gentlemen's club?
virgil.jpg
Uh,...I'm not sure sir. Perhaps they're gentler men than the rest?
me.jpg
Ah, I see. Faggots. May I enter?
02.jpg

01a.jpg

me.jpg
This isn't so bad...snooker tables, newspapers, and drinks. *walks to the counter* Bartender, a drink please. Why hello there, what's your name mister?
matt.jpg
Why, I am the honorable...*hic* Shir M...Matt..de Cesare, esh *hic* squire.
me.jpg
I'm sure you are...sigh. Faggots can't handle their drink, after all. Hm, that cloaked figure at the end of the room looks out of place.
mage.jpg
*Notices Alain's gaze* Speak up, human. Do not mumble.
me.jpg
Greetings. Might I ask who you are, sir?
04.jpg

me.jpg
(Fags.) Is that a fact? Perhaps you'd like to illustrate that point.
mage.jpg
*he squares himself up to Alain* You don't know what you're doing, boy. I recommend you take yourself elsewhere.
me.jpg
(I love a good fight!) Bring it, FAG!
04a.jpg

mage.jpg
You pushed the wrong man, boy! *casts a spell*
me.jpg
Shit! A mage?!
virgil.jpg
Careful, sir!

I attempted to dodge the summoned ragged fighter while summoning two orcs of my own. Its punch hitting me on the gut. Hard. I quickly quaffed a stamina potion and cast a disabling spell on it.

06.jpg

It took several rounds while my orcs gave the mage a good beating. I knew that if the mage is taken down, the summoned undead would not exist without its master.

07.jpg

And the mage finally went down, and with him, the undead as well. I let my minions beat him to the afterlife before searching him for any valuables.

me.jpg
That was too close. You'd expect a few scrolls of magic or at least magical staff from such a mage...disappointing. *pulls a note out of the dead man's pocket*
08.jpg

me.jpg
So that's why he's got nothing on him! His valuables must be at this address! Let's go, Virgil.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Right, let's get a move on, Virgil. Oh wait, what's this newspaper..*picks it up*
09.jpg

me.jpg
Looks serious. Wonder if the culprit's been found? Must be a monetary reward in this. Perhaps a visit the Garringsburg residence is in order. But first, let's get Madam Lil's money back from that halfling.
10.jpg

me.jpg
Yeah...I know what you mean, but she wants her 400 coins...
halfling.jpg
I..I haven't got it. This job hardly pays enough to keep me housed...let alone support my...err..hobbies. I can spare 200 coins right now, but I do not have the 400.
me.jpg
I doubt she will be happy with half. Do you need some incentive?
halfling.jpg
*pales* I'm sorry! All I have right now is the 200 coins...But wait! The Bridesdale will pay me again in 5 days. If you come back then, I will give you the entire amount! That is the best I can do...
me.jpg
Hmph. Fine then, we'll back in five days! And you had better have it! Let's move along and find this warehouse, I bet it's near the docks somewhere! Oh look, it's the Garringsburg Residence. Let's check whether the painting is returned yet, shall we?
virgil.jpg
I don't know, sir. I think it's best not to get involved with more mess than we already have...
11.jpg

me.jpg
Nonsense, Virgil, where's your sense of adventure? *opens the door in* Hello. I don't believe we've met, madam...
12.jpg

me.jpg
My name is Alain Gilford. A please to meet you, madam.
eve.jpg
Very good, Mr. Gilford! It's so nice to meet well bred individuals! Now, I hate to be rude, but I really must excuse myself. I have so much to deal with, what with the robbery and all...
me.jpg
(Aha! An opportunity!) Robbery! Madam! Is there anything I can do?
eve.jpg
I'm afraid that there's little to be done, now. Two nights ago there was a break-in here at the mansion...in the morning we awoke to find that some of our most prized possessions has been stolen, including our beloved 'Kerghan and Persephone'...a Pizarro original...
me.jpg
I'm so very sorry. Have the police any leads?
eve.jpg
The police had little luck in catching the criminals...it seems they've covered their tracks pretty well. And I so loved that painting...
me.jpg
Perhaps I could offer my services in finding the painting?
eve.jpg
Oh, yes! I'd be most grateful! Would you really do that? I could offer you, oh, 300 gold pieces if you were to return it!
me.jpg
Of course madam! I'd be honored to take the job!

Further questioning of facts and such did not yield results, I decided to just wander the city in hopes I might yet find the painting, but back to the matter at hand. That elusive dead mage's warehouse! I walked past Madam Lil's and explained that the money will arrive 5 days later, before continuing my walk. The shop next to Madam Lil's caught my eye. The plaque states it as '77 Devonshire Way - Madam Toussaude's House of Secrets.'

me.jpg
Perhaps I should get my fortune told..

The door opens with a creak, the smell of herbs and spices is in the air.

13.jpg

me.jpg
(VERY exotic.) I see. Could I ask you a few questions, Madame?
madamt.jpg
Of course...I am here to seek answers to ALL your questions...
me.jpg
So what exactly is that you do here, Madame?
madamt.jpg
*She whispers, almost hissing* As I said, I am a seer. People come to me, with questions, and I do what I can to answer them. Sometimes I...have to seek answers in the lands of the dead.
me.jpg
(Creepy) Can you see my future?
madamt.jpg
*She gazes at Alain's face, smiling strangely* I've already seen your future, traveler. A strange one it is, at that...
me.jpg
(You're bluffing.) What? What do you mean?
madamt.jpg
*She whispers, darkly* Never you mind. The future is unknown, but inevitable. In the end, it always comes to be.
me.jpg
(Sigh. Just a con artist, then.) Gee, thanks...I'll be going now.

I exited Madade Toussaude's shop feeling slightly disappointed. I really thought there'd be magic involved. Guess some people are just milking its reputation. I continued my search for the warehouse near the docks, but realized that the address is not Mulligan Bone. A lone gnome stood outside the warehouse, and I decided to ask for more directions.

me.jpg
Hello, gnome, I was wondering, how do I get to Mulligan Bone Alley?

There was no answer.

me.jpg
Ahem, sir?
14.jpg

me.jpg
(Yeah, you and half the city.) So, what seems to be the problem?
gnome.jpg
I recently inherited these warehouses, here, and I need to sell them to pay off my debts. But I have a rat problem. A BIG rat problem. And no one will purchase them until the rats are eradicated.
me.jpg
(This seems beneath me...but..I guess the orcs won't mind getting their hands dirty.) How much would you pay me to help you with this vermin problem?
gnome.jpg
That is the problem, sir. I have no money, and I need the money the sale of these properties would give me, desperately. You can take whatever you find as you're cleaning them out as your payment, if you like. There should be at least a few valuable odds and ends of a technological nature.
me.jpg
(Seems like a bad deal, but I'm sure there should be at least 200 gold worth of junk in there if I pawn it off. Oh well.) Deal.

I head into the warehouse and find the main storage area locked. The small tool shed outside wasn't.

me.jpg
Just a bunch of rats, Virgil. Let me just summon a pair of orcs, just in case. *Casts spell* Ah. Here goes...*Turns the door knob*
14a.jpg

me.jpg
Holy fuck. KILL THEM ALL!

Minutes later...
15.jpg

me.jpg
That's....gotta be the last of them.

I found a few dwarven ores and some spare parts..mostly junk really, a quick trip to the junk dealer earned me roughly 200 gold pieces.

virgil.jpg
Sir, I believe it's a telegram office over there. Remember Joachim's letter?
me.jpg
Oh, that's right, he's left us a telegram, didn't he? Let's go get it.

The telegram officer handed us our message in exchange for two gold pieces.

16.jpg

me.jpg
Stillwater? Sounds like another backwater village. I suppose we can visit this Panarii church when we have the time. What do you think, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
I don't know what to make of it. It seems that he thinks it very important to find out why these men are trying to kill you, much more important than being here to protect you...
me.jpg
I thought that was your job, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
It is, blast it! I'm sorry...I don't mean to get so angry. I just don't have any idea what's going on here. All I know is that Joachim showed me a better way, a new faith, and now I'm involved in something even I don't believe. What do YOU think?
me.jpg
(Oh, he's not a sheep, after all) Well, Virgil, I'm no religious fanatic. I think the whole story is a bit contrived....
virgil.jpg
*Looks angry* So you think me a religious fool? You think all this is just a coincidence? Perhaps a big misunderstanding? Why don't you just go ahead and tell that to the next man that comes to cut your bloody throat. Want to know what I think? I'd say there's nothing more contrived than a dead fool!
me.jpg
(I take it back, Virgil's a little unstable when it comes to his religion.) Sigh. Virgil, let's not argue about this. Let's look into the ring...
virgil.jpg
*Studies Alain for a moment, then nods his head* Yes..there is a particular wisdom in your words. *Laughs* And crying about this prophecy gibberish isn't going to keep a knife out of your ribs. I'll shut up for a while, and we'll concentrate on that ring. If we find the owner, maybe we'll find out why those bloody assassins want it so badly.
me.jpg
*Rolls eyes* Sounds fine, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
Alright. *He seems relieved* Listen, Tarant is a big city, and a man needs to watch what he does and who he talks to. Believe me, I know a lot about surviving in places like this. This, and worse. Just keep one eye always open, and one hand always on your weapon. You can't trust strangers, and sometimes not even your friends. I used to, uh...
me.jpg
(Huh. There's a lot I don't know about Virgil, it seems.) Sounds like you know a lot about surviving in the streets...
virgil.jpg
I used to..well...that was another time. *He looks down* I uh...know my way around. Just be on your guard, and I'll be watching out for you as well...
me.jpg
(He's hiding something.) Virgil...what is it? Where do you come from?
virgil.jpg
No! I don't want to talk about it! *Shakes his head* I'm sorry, I don't mean to...there's so much I have to learn. Joachim says the free man is defined by what he does today. I'll look no more behind me.
me.jpg
(Must've had a fucked up life before this recent conversion.) I see. Let's go Virgil.

RK47

Patron
Padding the thread for next page. Hopefully. Oh, finally! I'll post an update soon!

RK47

Patron
- Polton Cross -

me.jpg
Damn it, this Mulligan Bone Alley better be close by. We've been wandering around for the last 15 minutes in Tarant! Hmm, what's this? 'Delores Beston, Seer of the Unnatural'. Come, Virgil, let's take a shade from the sun for a while! *opens the door and heads inside* Hello, madam. You must be Delores?
24.jpg

me.jpg
So, Delores, what is it you do here?
delores.jpg
I talk with spirits, look into far-flung future to see what it holds for those who dare to look! I am a guide in the nether-realms , a mistress in the medium of the mysterious!
me.jpg
(Rightttt) Could you read MY future?
delores.jpg
I'm very sorry, but currently I'm having a problem with my crystal ball. I dropped it the other day, and my visions have been foggy and unclear ever since. I've looked into finding another one, but, as you might guess, a crystal ball is a rare commodity..
me.jpg
(What an unusual excuse! Let's try my luck.) I'd assume so. Perhaps I could assist you in finding another?
delores.jpg
*She smiles mysteriously* Yes. I thought you might say that. I have a feeling for such things, you know. From the moment you walked in here, I knew you were something special.
me.jpg
(This is getting a bit strange.) Let's not get carried away, madam...
delores.jpg
I understand...not everyone is a believer. In any case..I would very much appreciate your help. If you were to find me a new crystal ball, I'll pay you 200 gold pieces. What do you say?
me.jpg
(Stranger requests have been made.) Of course. I'd be glad to assist you.
delores.jpg
Splendid! Now...I may be able to assist you in finding one. As I told you, my crystal ball is not working correctly, but sometimes a physial piece of the person I am viewing helps to clear the vision. Might I have a lock of your hair?
me.jpg
Uhhh, sure.
delores.jpg
Wonderful! *She takes out a pair of scissors and cuts a small lock of Alain's hair.* Now...we look into the ball, see what is to be seen. *She stares intently, waving the lock in front of her face* Cloudy, but something is coming clear...yes! I see where you might be able to procure a ball!
me.jpg
Yeah, where is it?
delores.jpg
In the warehouse district...I see the bordello...there! A small shop just beside it...I see a sign...
me.jpg
Uh..Madame Toussaude's?
delores.jpg
Yes! Within that shop is a crystal ball! Fidn her and you will find a crystal ball!
me.jpg
Do you know anything of her?
delores.jpg
I can't say I've ever heard of her myself...there are so many self-proclaimed soothsayers in Tarant. More than likely she's some fly-by-night gypsy, out to make a quick buck. BUT! Be careful...you never know what to expect from these nomads.
me.jpg
I will, dear lady. Thank for the advice. I'll return with the crystal ball later...*Leaves Delores' shop* What do you think, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
Stranger things have happened, Sir.
me.jpg
You're quite right. Oh, look, the Tarantian Times paper is next door! Let's drop by! *Enters the office* Greetings, sir. Might I ask your name?
editor.jpg
I'm Mr. Wright. Editor of the Tarantian, finest newspaper in all the land. Who are you?
me.jpg
My name is Alain Gilford.
editor.jpg
What can I help you with?
me.jpg
Any jobs that I could do?
25.jpg

me.jpg
Well, I am...
virgil.jpg
*He whispers* Sir, it's not wise...those assassins will know of you!
me.jpg
Uh, right...Mr. Wright, I was actually looking for more a labor position.
editor.jpg
Well...we don't have any openings here at the moment. Hmm, there's a small job you could do. It only pays 75 coins. Are you interested?
me.jpg
Money is always good.
editor.jpg
Alright. Here. This is a payment note. I need it delivered to Mrs. Halster. Her house is located at the corner of Devonshire and Vermillion. Return to me after delivery, and I'll give you the 75 coin.
me.jpg
Such task is beneath me. Virgil, you'll do the honors.
virgil.jpg
Hmph.
me.jpg
Or I could always provide him with some newsworthy items?
virgil.jpg
Alright, alright. *He snatches the payment note from Alain's hand and leaves*
editor.jpg
Servant of yours?
me.jpg
More or less. :smug:

Minutes later...

virgil.jpg
Here's the signed note. Can we leave now?
me.jpg
Aye, *Pockets the gold from Mr. Wright* Thank you, Mr. Wright. Goodbye. *Exits the Tarantian office*
virgil.jpg
Sir, I think I spotted someone of interest at the Vermillion Station.
me.jpg
Oh?
virgil.jpg
Remember the letter I found at the crash site?
me.jpg
Kinda. What of it?
virgil.jpg
I think he's the betrothed mentioned in the letter. We should give the news, but try not to reveal yourself as a survivor of the crash.
me.jpg
Ah well, let's get it over with then. *Waves at the station guard* You there, what's your name?
26.jpg

me.jpg
You're Jared? Do you have a girl named Wilhemina?
guard.jpg
What?! What is it? Do you have word of her?
me.jpg
I have a note for you, from her. *Signals to Virgil to hand it over*
jared.jpg
*He takes the note and reads it* Wilhemina! Where is she?
me.jpg
I'm sorry, sir. She's dead.
guard.jpg
Nooooo! *He begins to sob*
me.jpg
My condolences, sir.
guard.jpg
*He continues to sob for a few moments before composing himself* I know I've no right to ask this of you, but could you do me a favor?
me.jpg
Perhaps. Depending what is it you're asking.
guard.jpg
Could you stop by the stone cutter's for me? I need a tombstone made for my...Wilhemina. It is very important to me. His shop is on the corner of Mulligan Bone Alley and East End avenue. Tell him to come round to visit me, I can't leave my post.
me.jpg
I suppose you expect me to do this for free?
virgil.jpg
Sir!
guard.jpg
I am afraid I have no money to offer.
me.jpg
Sigh. Then you are out of luck.
virgil.jpg
No, I'll do it for you, for free!
me.jpg
You're welcome to do so, Virgil. Just take note of the directions, so we can find that warehouse later. Heh.
virgil.jpg
*Scowls at Alain before leaving*
guard.jpg
I...I thank you. How did you come across this letter anyway?
me.jpg
Oh..we're just the rescue crew...happened to come upon it.
guard.jpg
Thank you. *Sobs*

A few minutes later...

virgil.jpg
The stonecutter will come around tomorrow noon. Let's get a move on, sir.
me.jpg
Yes, Virgil. You've done some good today. While you were away I found a magick shop nearby. Let's head over there and see what pieces we can trade for.

27.jpg

me.jpg
That's a nice price.
28.jpg

me.jpg
Hmm..I need an exotic weapon. This...thing here..I think I'll take it. A chakram.
virgil.jpg
I'm glad you geared yourself up a bit, sir. Now, shall we resume our business at P. Schuyler's.
me.jpg
Fine, Virgil. We've delayed it long enough. Come. Let's crack some zombie's skulls.

Later at P. Schuyler's Basement...
29.jpg

me.jpg
Ready?
virgil.jpg
Yes.
me.jpg
O mighty destroyer, pureblood of ogre, the ultimate motherfucker, COME FORTH!
30.jpg

virgil.jpg
Zounds! He looks immensely strong!
me.jpg
I'm not done yet. *Clasps hand together* Twice as fast, let's kick arse!

A sound of clockwork echoes in the catacombs.

virgil.jpg
What was that?
me.jpg
A haste spell. This ogre will now make a mincemeat out of these zombies in no time flat. Let's hurry, I'm not sure I can maintain this spell for long. *Draws a deep breath*

31.jpg

The Ogre Destroyer lets itself be surrounded as the undead rose from the dirt below.

32.jpg

The outcome was never in doubt. We descend deeper into the Schuyler's basement.

33.jpg

Virgil was caught in a magical trap.

34.jpg

But the Ogre alone proved sufficient in dispatching the puny zombies and finally we reached a strange chamber where undead dwarves toil the halls. In search of answers, we pressed forward until we were stopped by three cloaked figures, obviously the overseer of this operation.

35.jpg

me.jpg
Forgive the intrustion, but I'm in dire need of some information.
owner.jpg
Information? You've violated our home and our business out of the need for some information? That's utterly preposterous!
me.jpg
I can assure you that it's of the most importance.
owner.jpg
I'll be the judge of what's important in my own home! What could you possibly need to know that justifies this outrage!
me.jpg
What, exactly is going on around here? (Aside from a bunch of undead raising mages.)
owner.jpg
I'll be the one demanding answers around here. You've obviously NO idea what you've stumbled into...and your situation is only worsening. I'm not going to ask again. WHY ARE YOU HERE?
me.jpg
Fine. Please take a look at this ring...*Shows him the ring*
owner.jpg
Ah yes, I see...a signet ring. And these letters G.B..more than likely they belong to the individual who purchased the ring from us.
me.jpg
I guessed as much. Could you tell me the identity of the owner?
owner.jpg
Well, it seems we are at a crossroads, my friend. We, the Schuyler family, have been in business for more than 400 years. Never once in all that time we have betrayed the trust of a customer. And yet, here you are, and so much you've seen.
me.jpg
But exactly WHAT have I seen? What is going on down here?
owner.jpg
I suppose it does no harm in telling you now. I am Winston Schuyler, and these are my brothers, Edward and Niles. The Schuyler name is an old name...one of the oldest families in all of Arcanum...we've traced our blood lines back to the Age of Legends and further. And always from the very beginning, we have practiced the darker arts.
me.jpg
What exactly do you mean by the darker arts?
owner.jpg
Necromancy, my curious friend. Conjurings of the spirits, phantasmal speaking, the animation of the incurably dead. The Schuylers are a family who spend their time in the twilight lands, cowled in death and shadow.
me.jpg
(Fascinating) Necromancy? Has this always been the family business?
owner.jpg
Yes...for as many generations as have been recorded in our family tome, the Schuylers have walked with the spirits of the dead. My great-great-great-grandfather was Conjurer-Witness to the chiefs of the Clan Wars, where the great machines of the dwarves leveled cities and mountains.
me.jpg
Interesting..please continue...
owner.jpg
I told you before, we can trace our history back to the Age of Legends, where the great Necromancers ruled along with the Elven Council. The days when mighty Kerghan, perhaps the first of our kind, battled the Bane of Kree in the Dead Hollows, and the very stones burned there for three days in their passing.
me.jpg
That's fascinating. How did you go into business?
owner.jpg
Oh, it's just the way things happen. My grandfather, Basil Schuyler, decided he was tired of the stigma which had risen around our family. You know, most people tend to stay away from Necromancers as a general rule.
me.jpg
Yeah, I can see why. And so..?
owner.jpg
Well, he moved to Caladon and started a small business there. P. Schuyler and Sons. My father and my uncle were both still fairly young, but powerful in the arts. They used their powers to locate lost artifacts, and made a business of selling unique and rare jewelry. As you can see, the business has done fairly well.
me.jpg
I should say so. Your family built this store over the tomb?
owner.jpg
Yes...we discovered the tomb more than 150 years ago, before Tarant had become such a great city. And so our family left their home in Old Caladon, and moved here. We weren't sad to leave there...some of the locals had begun to become suspicious of our activities.
me.jpg
No offense, but I can see why they might be a little leery...
owner.jpg
Sadly, I can see your point. The world, for ones such as we, is becoming smaller. So few people remember the old ways, when magic was a part of everything and everyone. There was a time when we were legitimate businessmen, and no one blinked an eye at our operations..
me.jpg
It seems, as your said, we are at the crossroad. Where to go?
owner.jpg
Yes, where? I seem to have something you need, and you hold something of ours as well....our anonymity. We are hurting no one here...the spirits of these dwarves are long gone, and we own the ladn upon which this tomb rests.
me.jpg
Well, I'm convinced. Maybe we can come to an agreement?
owner.jpg
Yes, I think that might just be possible. If you agree to tell no one about our business operations, I will find out for you who owns this ring. Are we agreed?
me.jpg
Agreed.
owner.jpg
Very Good! Now, for your information. Our records down here are very extensive, but it might take hours to find what we're looking for. We shall ask my father, Pelonius Schuyler.
me.jpg
And where is he?
owner.jpg
Well, he is here and not here. As you can see, we've preserved his earthly shell down here...that's his body sitting in his favorite stuffed chair over there against the wall.
me.jpg
(Is he thinking what I'm thinking?) Hmmm. I'm at a loss...is this a standard necromantic practice?
owner.jpg
Not really. But in his will, my father insisted that we...uh...exhibit him just so. He was always very protective of the business, and this way his way of reminding us of the Schuyler standards.
me.jpg
No offense, but just how talkative is uh...a rotting corpse?
owner.jpg
In the case of re-animation, the necromancer deals rarely with the flesh...it's the spirits of the dead we converse with. This shell acts only as a medium for our impending conversation. Our father has little to do with this body as your spirit does with the clothes you currently wear. Do you understand?
me.jpg
Of course. It's a little unnerving, but I think I'll manage.
owner.jpg
Very well. We shall proceed. I now call to the other side, the place of shades and shadows..we call upon you, spirit of Pelonius Schuyler, who walks now where we can only look. Do you hear us...?

A silent wind blew through the air. The temperatures dropped a few degrees as a red mist rose from the corpse of a human noble.

36.jpg

me.jpg
(Impressive! I must have this power someday!) I'm sorry. I don't believe we've met, sir...
ghost.jpg
No, I suppose over there we have not. Forgive me, my sight is not as your own, nor is my time...with these eyes I see the candle burning at both ends..this moment for me has happened a thousand times, and none...no matter. Why have you come? What is it you seek?
me.jpg
Forgive me, but it sounds like you might already know that.
ghost.jpg
And you'll have to forgive me...my words are perhaps a bit misleading. I do see both ends of the candle burning, but I also see all of the candles. Does that make any sense, traveler?
me.jpg
(Nope)
ghost.jpg
I cannot see what's in your heart, only what might be, and all of those endless possibilities. Some end in hope, others in despair, and some with you here among the spirits.
me.jpg
I see. Well, today I've come seeking the owner of this ring.
ghost.jpg
Yes, I know, a signet ring that we had made for a very important person. Important to us, but more important to YOU. I remember very clearly the making of this ring...the spirits called to us across the darkness as it was forged. They knew, somehow, all that would come in its making...
me.jpg
Uh..what are you talking about?
ghost.jpg
Not so simple, traveler. Nary a candle for those words...they're not mine to say. I come only as the first of many messengers...some from this side and some from yours. Be wary of them all. The river which separates us eddies around you, creating new flows. Navigate wisely.
me.jpg
(For fuck's sake!) You're speaking in riddles. I beg you, be more clear...
ghost.jpg
Very well. The ring. The man you seek is Gilbert Bates. There is nothing else I can tell you. And the dead call me back, traveler...I must return. Fare thee well...
me.jpg
Thank you, Pelonius.

The ghastly apparition disappears with a low moan...and the cold air disappeared without a trace.

owner.jpg
It's been a pleasure doing business with you. Good luck wherever your travels may take you.
me.jpg
Aye, I thank you for your guidance. (I must get that power somehow. To talk with the dead! So much they could tell!) We're done here. Virgil, let's leave this place.

The bright and sunny Tarant noon greeted us as we emerge from the Schuyler's office.

me.jpg
*Stretches* Ahhhh. Hope the Schuylers don't get mad about their dead receptionist. So...Gilbert Bates. Let's find this guy.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Ah, here we are, Virgil. Madame Toussaude's little shop.
virgil.jpg
Are you sure this is wise, sir? What if she doesn't want to part with her crystal ball?
me.jpg
Then we'll make her an offer she can't refuse. *enters the shop*
01.jpg

me.jpg
Really? And why would that be?
madamt.jpg
I think you know why. *She looks at Alain, her dark eyes shining in the candlelight.* You've been speaking with Delores Beston. I know the real reason you're here, but I don't think YOU do...
me.jpg
What do you mean? She merely wants your crystal ball..
madamt.jpg
*She smiles, darkly.* Listen to me. Delores Beston came to my shop not three days ago, asking for her fortune. I told her traveler...and here we are. We are all a part of what is to come, and it is YOU that must choose....
me.jpg
*Sigh* Look, just tell me what's going on...
madamt.jpg
CHOOSE COWARD, OR I WILL CHOOSE FOR YOU! On which side will you fall? Mine, or Delores Beston's?
me.jpg
(This isn't worth the 200 gold. Maybe I just need to calm her down and get out of here while I still can...) Look, I side with you, okay? I'm just leaving...
madamt.jpg
*The fire in her eyes subsides. She whispers.* Very good. I believe you may have chosen wisely, traveler. You may have the crystal ball. I only ask that you take it to Delores and give it to her...
me.jpg
What? But I thought...
madamt.jpg
Things aren't always as they seem, traveler. I ask you do this for me...will you?
me.jpg
(Whatever.) Fine. I'll do it. *Takes the crystal ball and hurries out.*
02.jpg

me.jpg
Virgil, what the hell just happened?
virgil.jpg
I think she was about to do something terrible to you a while ago. Good thinking, sir.
me.jpg
Yeah, what about this crystal ball?
virgil.jpg
I suggest you throw it away and pretend this whole thing never happened...and don't even bother telling Delores about this!
me.jpg
No. I want that 200 gold. Look, there's no harm. I'm perfectly fine while holding this crystal ball. So we just drop it off at Delores' claim the gold and get out. Simple.
virgil.jpg
*Sighs* It's your choice, sir.

Later at Delores' Home....

me.jpg
Hello, Miss Beston, I've returned with the crystal ball...
delores.jpg
*She looks surprised.* That's...well, that's just grand. Where did you get it?
me.jpg
Madame Toussaude, a medium in the warehouse district..
03.jpg

me.jpg
(Dammit, not another nut case!) I'm sorry..what do you mean?
delores.jpg
Oh, if you must know...I'd heard rumors about her around town...people saying she could actually see the future! Rubbish! No one can REALLY see anything...it's all an act! I lie to those old ladies all day long...tell them exactly what they want to hear! So, I went to this Madam Toussaude, and I told her I wanted to see MY future...
me.jpg
(Gee, you just told me that you're nothing more than a liar.) And what did she say?
delores.jpg
She told me that a stranger would walk into my store one day, and that he would be my death. Can you believe it? My death! So, when I saw you come in here, you can imagine my surprise,...and my fears...
me.jpg
(OK, this is the part where I kill her because the gypsy mind controlled me? Hmm...Nope. Nothing.) Of course...
delores.jpg
But don't you see the irony? You've gone and killed her! SHE was the one who needed to fear you...not me! I broke my own crystal ball, just in case someone did show up..and in the end, you kill HER, and I get her crystal ball thrown in just for good measure! HA! So much for old Madame Toussaude....
me.jpg
I never said she was dead, Delores...
delores.jpg
WH-H-AT? How did you get the ball..?
me.jpg
She gave it to me. To give to you....
delores.jpg
I don't...no...please..get it away from me...!
me.jpg
(Just get this thing away from me, dammit!) It's a gift, Delores. Just for you...*Hands it to her*
04.jpg

virgil.jpg
ZOUNDS!
me.jpg
Motherfucker!
virgil.jpg
*Kneels to get a better look.* Is she?
me.jpg
She's dead, Virgil. That gypsy must've cursed the crystal ball to react only to Delores. *Gazes at the Crystal Ball on the floor.*
virgil.jpg
Should we tell the authority?
me.jpg
Heavens, NO! We're the only ones here! And you think that gypsy would admit that SHE gave us the crystal ball? THINK, man!
virgil.jpg
You're right, let's leave.

Later....
virgil.jpg
Sir, I believe it's time to find this Gilbert Bates, the owner of the ring.
me.jpg
No, Virgil. There's still this address I want to visit. 57 Mulligan Bone Alley...Ah, here it is! Looks like a warehouse...
06.jpg

me.jpg
*Enters the warehouse.* Hello?
07.jpg

me.jpg
No, actually I think we have the right address! *Summons an ogre.*
08.jpg

me.jpg
Get him!

The lone ogre guard was no matched to the combined might of the party.

me.jpg
Jackpot. He's got the key, whatever he's guarding must be worth it, *Fits the key into the lock.*
09.jpg

me.jpg
Holy shit! It's the painting robbed from the Garringsburg's!
virgil.jpg
Amazing! Imagine the reward...And the fame...it will bring...
me.jpg
*Pauses* You have a point here, friend. If we return it to the rightful owner, she won't be able to keep a lid on it and we'll be on the Taranthian front page tomorrow morning.
virgil.jpg
Perhaps an anonymous drop?
me.jpg
And deprive us of our rightful reward? Nay! I've a better idea! Come!

Later...near Madam Lil's...

me.jpg
Gotta be here somewhere...seedy parts of the town...
virgil.jpg
Sir, just what are you looking ofr?
me.jpg
The Thieves Underground! The one that idiot Lukan mentioned!
virgil.jpg
Perhaps we should ask around..
me.jpg
Yeah, oh look, it's Madame Toussaude's, let's ask her some questions, shall we?
virgil.jpg
You're taking a really foolish risk, sir.
me.jpg
I know, Virgil, and that's what makes it so exciting. *Enters the store.* Hello, Madame, I delivered the crystal ball...dreadful business, that...
10.jpg

me.jpg
Actually, I've already found the painting...
madamt.jpg
I see. Perhaps there's something else I can offer you. *She closes her eyes, waving a hand in front of Alain.* There.
me.jpg
What? What did you do?
madamt.jpg
You'll find out, in time. Trust me, you'll be happy when you find out.
me.jpg
(Better not push my luck.) Thank you, then, in advance. Good day to you. *Exits the store*
virgil.jpg
That went better than expected.
me.jpg
Yeah, I guess. Let's ask around inside Madam Lil's. *Enters the brothel and approaches the man at the bar counter.* Excuse me, sir. Would you happen to know a fellow named Lukan?
12.jpg

me.jpg
Not really. He mentioned an underground of thieves, though...
bar.jpg
Oh he did, did he? He never did know when to keep that silly mouth of his shut. What about it, then, eh? Fancy yourself a thief, do ya?
me.jpg
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.
bar.jpg
Well then, you need to be makin' the acquaintance of a right good bloke a' name of Thaddeus Mynor. He's the Underground contact for this area. You should pay him a visit, his house is on the corner of Westrel South and Quilton Bend. I'll send a word for him to expect you.
me.jpg
Thank you, I think.

It took us a while to find Thaddeus' home...

13.jpg

me.jpg
I'm listening.
leader.jpg
The Thieves Underground is a loose confederacy of all the major thieves in all the major cities, ya see? We look out for each other, and collect useful information on the goings on in our respective cities. If you're bein a part of the Underground, there is always someone to talk to in a city that can tell you what ya might need to be aware of, jobs and such.
me.jpg
So I go to the Underground to get my jobs?
leader.jpg
We have an interest in most any job worth doing, but that's not to say ya can't freelance a bit, if ya know what I mean. When you get your jobs through us, though, we've generally got the whole thing sussed out, and we've attended to any details that may need attendin'. All we ask in return is a small portion of the take.
me.jpg
What if I say no?
leader.jpg
Don't get me wrong, we ain't no enforcers. If you don't want to be a part of this, you can simply go on your way. I must warn you to never talk of this, though, regardless if you join or not. We must protect ourselves, you understand.
me.jpg
You've have no problem with another thief working in your cities?
leader.jpg
Why would we? As I said, we have an interest in any job worth doing. The only way for you to become involved in important jobs is through us. But there's always places to rob, stores and such. We're mostly concerned with the big coin.
me.jpg
Sounds good. Count me in.
leader.jpg
Just because I've made the offer doesn't mean you're in, boy. You need to do a job for us, then you'll be a member.
me.jpg
Okay, what's the job?
leader.jpg
Alright, then. Tarant has a fairly extensive sewer system, right? One could use the sewer system for access to quite a number of locations where one has no right to be, eh? Trouble is, it is easy to get lost down there. We've had several try to map them out, with little success. Most of them don't return.
me.jpg
So you want me to map them out?
leader.jpg
Don't be daft, man! I just told you we've lost several good people attempting to map them already. We need someone to get the old city plans that have the full layout of the sewers. The city managers have decided that only authorized blokes can see them. They think people might use them for the nefarious purposes, eh?
me.jpg
Where are these plans?
leader.jpg
They're in the dept. of water, in city hall at the 87 East End Avenue, just past the Bates' mansion. When you bring the plans back, I'll make you a full member.
me.jpg
I accept your proposal. I will return with the plans. Good day.
leader.jpg
Oh, I forgot to ask you if you'd be interested in selling a certain painting that you seem to have acquired.
me.jpg
I thought you'd never ask, how much are you offering?
leader.jpg
I could give you, say, 300 coins.
me.jpg
Agreed.
leader.jpg
See, I told you associatin' with us would be profitable. I will see you around then, eh?

Later...at the Dept. of Water Office...

virgil.jpg
Sir, I must insist, we are not even qualified thieves, I doubt we can pull this off.
me.jpg
Won't hurt to try.
me.jpg
Excuse me, gentleman. Where am I?
14.jpg

me.jpg
I need to get the plan of the sewers underneath Tarant.
city.jpg
I'm sorry, sir. That is confidential information. I am sure you have a legitimate reason for wanting it, but there are others about of a more unscrupulous nature, shall we say.
me.jpg
I understand. Good day. *Leaves the office.*
15.jpg

virgil.jpg
Sir, the guards there are heavily armed, and I don't think you're agile enough to pickpocket him. We don't even know if he's holding the plans with him.
me.jpg
Hush, Virgil. I'm trying to think. I peeked at his locked room, there's a safe in there. It must be there!
virgil.jpg
Sir, I must object! It's suici-
me.jpg
Alright, Virgil! Let's book a room for the night! We need a little bit of rest before we head over to this Gilbert Bates fellow.
virgil.jpg
I'm very relieved you agree, sir.

Later...

16.jpg

me.jpg
I will be in town for a while. I would like a room for one week.
inn.jpg
Oh! But of course...The fee for one week is 175 coins, sir.
me.jpg
You don't offer a reduced price for payment in advance?
inn.jpg
I am sorry, sir. Bookings have been extremely busy of late. I am quite surprised we even have a room available. I am certain it will not last long, should you decline to take it.
me.jpg
*Sigh* Here it is, then.
inn.jpg
Thank you, sir! You will find your room just down the hall. You'll have use of it for the next seven nights. The door will be unlocked. I do hope you enjoy your stay.
me.jpg
Thank you. Let's go, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
Sir, did I hear correctly, a week?
me.jpg
I figure this Bates fellow will be slightly difficult to meet. We'll need a place to stay at the mean time. Let's get some rest. Wake me up near evening.
virgil.jpg
Very well, sir. Pleasant dreams.

Later that evening...

virgil.jpg
Sir, it's evening. Would you like to rest some more?
me.jpg
No, Virgil. Thank you. *Gets up* I'd like to visit the neighboring Gentleman's Club if you don't mind, go ahead and have a rest on the mean time.
virgil.jpg
I think I am sufficiently rested, sir.
me.jpg
No, Virgil. I insist. I won't take long...
virgil.jpg
Very well, sir. Wake me up if you have need of me.
me.jpg
Of course, Virgin. *Grins.*
17.jpg

18.jpg

me.jpg
That was too easy. Let's get that plans.

Later at the Dept. of Water Office....

city.jpg
You again? I told you already, those plans are not available for public view and you certainly do not have the authorization to view it...now if you excuse me, it's getting late, I must retire to my quarters. Good night ,sir. *Walks towards his quarters.*
19.jpg

me.jpg
Now's my chance! *Dashes in*
city.jpg
What the-
me.jpg
Shut up. *Summons Ogre*
20.jpg

me.jpg
Silence him!

The Ogre grips the poor man's throat tightly. Finally, with a loud crack, the victim's struggling cease immediately.

me.jpg
Good boy.
21.jpg

me.jpg
Come on, where's the key, old man?
22.jpg

me.jpg
Got it! *Puts key into the safe and turns it.* Yes!
23.jpg

me.jpg
Time to get out of here...they won't find out till morning. Heh heh.

Back at the inn...

me.jpg
Heh, looks like Virgil is still asleep. Guess I'll tuck in as well.
24.jpg

The next morning...

me.jpg
Good morning, Virgil! Ready to go?
25.jpg

me.jpg
Aye, let's go.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Right, now we have to set up a meeting with the owner of this ring, Gilbert Bates.
virgil.jpg
He sounds very important, sir. I'm quite sure any random pedestrian would know of him.
me.jpg
Perhaps you're right, Virgil. Excuse me, sir. Do you know Gilbert Bates?
02.jpg

me.jpg
Why is that a laugh?
bar.jpg
He hates old Gilbert, he does. Sends him into a complete frenzy if you mention Bates' name to him. He's always trying to discredit Bates somehow or other.
me.jpg
Why?
bar.jpg
Jealousy. Bates is a genius, and Appleby couldn't make a decent steam engine to save his life.
me.jpg
I see. Thank you for your time.
virgil.jpg
It looks like meeting with Bates would be very difficult.
me.jpg
It won't hurt to try the front door.

Later, outside Bates mansion.

03.jpg

me.jpg
Attempt on his life?
guard.jpg
Mr. Bates was attacked in his study by some fanatic. Thank the gods Chukka was there to snap the intruder's neck before he could do any harm.
me.jpg
Chukka?
guard.jpg
Chukka is Mr. Bates' bodyguard. Mr. Bates saved his life somehow, years ago. Chukka has been at his side ever since.
me.jpg
Nevertheless, it is imperative that I see him.
guard.jpg
Well....we've been having some problems with saboteurs at the factory. If you could "take care" of them, I am sure Mr. Bates would want to thank you personally.
me.jpg
I'll think about it, I must be off.
virgil.jpg
Sir, why did you not accept?
me.jpg
Hardly a gold in that, besides, I'm sure we have options. Let's visit this competitor of his, Cedric Appleby...

Later, near Low Dervish Way..

me.jpg
Look, Virgil. A Panarii Temple.
virgil.jpg
I recommend you visit it and speak with the priest for some information.
me.jpg
Oh, very well, I suppose learning more of the Living One wouldn't hurt.
04.jpg

me.jpg
What can you tell me about the Panarii?
priest.jpg
The Panarii church is based on the teachings of Nasrudin, an elf who lived during the Age of Legends. As head of the Elven Council, Nasrudin acted as a guide for all the races, until the rise of Arronax and his evil followers. Nasrudin waged war, and Arronax was defeated...the Panarii Church was founded some time after that.
me.jpg
What is the Age of Legends?
priest.jpg
The Age of Legends was a time between 1500 and 2000 years ago, a time when magick was a much larger part of the world than it is today, before the mages left for Tulla. A time of dragons and knights and kingdoms. The time of the Elven Council...
me.jpg
What was the Elven Council?
priest.jpg
The Elven Council was a group of elves and mages who oversaw the well-being of all the races of Arcanum. They were ruled by Nasrudin, a wise and powerful elf who was head of the council for 1000 years.
me.jpg
Tell me more about Nasrudin.
priest.jpg
Nasrudin was the benevolent leader of the Elven Council. For 1000 years he ruled all of Arcanum, and brought peace and properity to all of the races. His teachings are recorded in the sacred Archeaon, and are the cornerstone of all Panarii beliefs.
me.jpg
Are there any prophecies that he will return?
priest.jpg
Yes...it is called the Prophecy of the Living One. It is written in the Archaeon that one day both Nasrudin and Arronax will return to Arcanum and fight the final battle....
me.jpg
I don't understand. Isn't Nasrudin dead?
priest.jpg
Yes..he's been dead for a long time. The literal meaning of the prophecy is unknown...many believe that they will be both reincarnated, or that the prophecy is a metaphor for something more contemporary. The truth is, we just don't know...
me.jpg
And who is Arronax?
priest.jpg
Arronax was an evil elf, who came into power during the Age of Legends. He believed that only he and his followers were fit to rule, and decreed death to all of the races. Nasrudin, in his mercy, came to our defense and I, quote from the Archaeon "...defeated Arronax, banishing him forever to the Void."
me.jpg
What do you mean "banished"?
priest.jpg
We're not quite sure...banishments no longer happen. We believe that it took powerful magick to do so, and once banished, that person never returned. But the Archaeon speaks of it, and so we believed...
me.jpg
No one else ever been banished?
priest.jpg
The Archeon speaks of others who suffered the same fate as Arronax. There are four who were listed by name - Gorgoth, Kraka-Tur, Kerghan, and the Bane of Kree. They were all evil beings, but none were so evil as Arronax. If you ever see the Archaeon, you can read more about them.
me.jpg
What is the Archaeon?
priest.jpg
The sacred book of Nasrudin's teaching? It is housed in the First Temple of Panarii in Caladon. You can it there...
me.jpg
*Notices that Virgil is starting to yawn* Well, thank you for your time. I must go.
priest.jpg
I'm glad you stopped by, my friend. Would you like a pamhlet before you go.
me.jpg
Sure.
priest.jpg
Here you go! In the name of Nasrudin, farewell!
05.jpg

me.jpg
Bah.
virgil.jpg
How do you feel after hearing the whole story, sir?
me.jpg
I don't think I'm capable of accepting anything. The assassins are no coincidence. My survival...perhaps is a major test of faith to these fanatics. However, they may have gotten the wrong man. Let's move on.
06.jpg

me.jpg
This is the place. Appleby's Residence. *Enters the building.* (Gee, what a dump, the guy's home is doubling up as his workshop.) Oh, hello, I did not notice you there! Are you Mr. Cedric Appleby?
07.jpg

me.jpg
(Let's massage his ego a bit.) I had no idea you were THE Cedric Appleby.
apple.jpg
That is correct, sir. Cedric Appleby. Scholar, gentleman, businessman, and owner of the second largest steam engine company in all of Tarant.
me.jpg
(Well, since there's only two of you...) Why aren't you the largest?
apple.jpg
It's that damned charlatan Bates, being hailed as a hero....Hah! I spit on him! His intelligence is but that of a gnat's compared to mine!
me.jpg
What do you know about Gilbert Bates?
apple.jpg
Gilbert Bates is a common thief, nothing more. I have known him since childhood, until he began consorting with the dwarves. They gave him the steam engine, I'm sure of it! And everyone thinks he invented it!
me.jpg
(Dwarves are plausible. But this man is not exactly the most sane person around.) Do you know anything about the recent attempt on his life?
apple.jpg
Heh, heh. I have often entertained such fantasies, but death is too easy - something that uncouth assassin obviously didn't understand. He must be exposed, humiliated, made to suffer - much as he has made me suffer all these long years!
me.jpg
If not brutal violence, then what?
apple.jpg
I am unsure that you are worthy of my trust. The trust of Cedric Appleby is not an easy thing to gain, as I can read most men as if they are an open tome.
me.jpg
I assure you, I can be trusted.
apple.jpg
We shall see. Would you be interested in proving it?
me.jpg
Of course.
apple.jpg
Bates is working on a new steam engine design, which, of course, he stole from me. I need you to destroy the prototype.
me.jpg
How will this humiliate and expose him?
apple.jpg
It is clear to someone of my advanced abilities that your intellect has difficulty following my reasoning. Consider this a preamble to the inevitable ruination of one Gilbert Bates, as well as a test of your trustworthiness.
me.jpg
(Geez, fine!) I accept your proposal.
apple.jpg
Stupendous! Here is some dynamite to expedite your mission of destruction. His factory is in close proximity to his house, you can't miss it. At the tail end of Ten Hands Alley, to be precise about the matter.
me.jpg
I shall return when the job is completed.

Later, outside the factory.

08.jpg

virgil.jpg
I still don't see why we shouldn't just rat him out to Mr. Bates. He would indeed show his gratitude!
me.jpg
But would I get paid? C'mon Virgil, the front door's heavily guarded, find another entrance.
09.jpg

me.jpg
This side door looks inviting...but perhaps there's another one further in...
10.jpg

me.jpg
Bingo.
virgil.jpg
It's locked, sir. It's too complex for me to pick.
me.jpg
That's fine, Virgil. Step back.
11.jpg

Alain light the fuse and dashes away in time before an explosion was heard, strangely, it was accompanied by a scream.

12.jpg

me.jpg
Whoa, did we kill someone?
13.jpg

virgil.jpg
Must be a patrolling guard.
me.jpg
Well, grab his armor and wait here. I'll be right back!
14.jpg

Guards patrol within, but with a little timing, Alain evaded detection.

15.jpg

me.jpg
This is it. Let's smash this sucker! *Summons Ogre*
16.jpg

me.jpg
All done!

Later, at Appleby Residence...

17.jpg

me.jpg
Now that I've done your job, can you get me into Bates' house?
apple.jpg
Most decidedly, my friend. Oh, if only I could see the look on Gilbert's face. Oh, excuse me. Here are some servant's clothing. Tell the guards at the front that you are the new replacement.
me.jpg
Great plan.
apple.jpg
When you are inside Bates' domicile, I would be ecstatically grateful were you to find some sort of incriminating evidence to help me humiliate and expose Bates for the fraud he is.
me.jpg
Consider it found.

Later, outside Bates' Mansion...

me.jpg
*Dons servant clothing.* This is it, Virgil. Wait here, I'll be back soon.
virgil.jpg
Be careful!
me.jpg
Excuse me, sir. I am the replacement servant.
18.jpg

me.jpg
That went smoothly. I better not mess up, the guards are heavily armed and looks highly experienced.
19.jpg

me.jpg
What a luxurious home! Bastard's must be the richest man in Tarant!
20.jpg

21.jpg

me.jpg
Nowhere at the first floor. Time to move upstairs.
22.jpg

me.jpg
(Rats.) I'm not a servant. I need to speak with you about this ring. *Shows the ring.*
bates.jpg
Great Gods! How did you come by that ring?
me.jpg
A gnome gave it to me as he lay dying.
bates.jpg
A gnome! What manner of tomfoolery is this? Are you certain it was not a dwarf?
me.jpg
Of course. I've never seen a skinny, beardless dwarf.
bates.jpg
Yes. I am...familiar with dwarves and their costums. Tell me, was there anything distinctive about this fellow?
me.jpg
(Hmm.) He had a scar over his left eye.
bates.jpg
By Alberich! I knew it in my heart - that was no gnome. It was Stennar Rock Cuter. *He is visibly shaken by this realization.*
me.jpg
I suppose it could have been a sick dwarf, but his beard....
bates.jpg
Yes, I know. It is madness...but please, tell me, did he say anything to you before he died? Did he say anything about, uh, about me?
me.jpg
He said he had escaped to warn us about the evil...
bates.jpg
The evil? What evil? And where did he escape from?
me.jpg
He didn't say. I was hoping you would know what it meant.
bates.jpg
Something horrible must have happened after I...after I...*His voice trails off. He is obviously too distressed to continue.* Did he...did he say anything else?
me.jpg
He referred to you as a boy. Why would he do that?
bates.jpg
I do not know. Even though dwarves reckon time differently than humans, he must have realized that I am now an old man. Perhaps it is because I was buy a boy when I...when I betrayed his trust, all those years ago.
me.jpg
How did you come to betray him?
bates.jpg
That, that is quite the long tale...a tale of my shame, it is.
me.jpg
I'm listening.
bates.jpg
It is ironic that my greatest mistake is that which brought me such wealth. As a youth, I as enamored of all things dwarves, so I sought out the nearest clan and attempted to impress them with my grasp of their technology. They laughed. It was obviously a novelty to them, a ridiculous human who had a natural bent towards technology. I suppose it didn't help that I was a mere 14 years old at that time. I became something they humored to entertain themselves. Stennar was the only one who truly called me friend in all those years, and betrayal is how I repaid his friendship. It was he who first showed me their steam engine, as he knew I could appreciate the beautiful intricacies of its design.
me.jpg
(So it's true. Bates did steal the technology from the dwarves...and claimed it was his invention!)
bates.jpg
They had left it to rust in a corner, as they had very little use for a device that would reduce the need for sheer physical power. Imagine a dwarf relying on a device to do his digging for him! It's preposterous. I asked him if I could tinker with it, perhaps improve on it, as I knew this was the key to becoming truly a part of the dwarven world. I quickly devised a way to use it to power a pump for draining the mines. When I fell all over myself trying to explain it to them, laughter was, once again, their only response.
me.jpg
(I don't understand why the dwarves are acting like complete retards. They had the tools, yet they refused to use it? Why the illogical actions?)
bates.jpg
I knew I had to somehow gain their respect, so I hastily sketched some schematics and set out to prove my theory. The struggling human mining company that I brought the plans to offered me a share in their mines for the steam pump! I was ecstatic - I had not a care for their mines or their money, I desired vindication!
me.jpg
(And that was probably the first dwarven technology used by humans.)
bates.jpg
When I returned to the dwarves to boat of my accomplihments and be welcomed into their clan...they were gone.
me.jpg
(What?!)
bates.jpg
The inventions came quickly after that, fueled by my anger and confusion. How could they have denied me my place amongst them after all my labors? Somehow, I felt I could still prove myself to them. I continued searching for them in all my spare moments, but to no avail. But then, they came - the robed ones.
me.jpg
(The Molochean Hand?)
bates.jpg
They appeared to me late one night and they warned me to never speak of, nor try to find, the dwarves again. Still being a mere lad, you can imagine the terror that put into me. As my wealth and power grew, I shook off some of my youthful fear and hired the first in a long chain of investigatiors to locate Stennar and his clan.
me.jpg
(I guess his wealth afforded him some serious protection.)
bates.jpg
None of them ever returned with any worthwhile information, and some never returned at all. The ones that did told of vicious traps and creatures attacking them from the shadows. As word of these failures spread, it became more and more difficult to find souls brave enough to take on the challenge.
me.jpg
But why did he send me here with your ring?
bates.jpg
He knew that ring would lend veracity to your tale. I gave Stennar that ring the last time I saw him. And now he is dead...*He pauses to compose himself.* If only we knew what he meant by "the evil."
me.jpg
The Panarii think the "evil" refers to someone named Arronax.
bates.jpg
I don't put much stock in religious ramblings. I'm more concerned with who killed Stennar, and why, and what all this has to do with my relationship with the Black Mountain Clan.
me.jpg
So what is to be done, now?
bates.jpg
There must be some clue left in the Black Mountain mines, I'm certain of this. You seem to be a resourceful individual, would you be interested in searching the mines for some clue as to their whereabouts? I would make it worth your while, I can assure you.
me.jpg
(Not so fast.) I'd like to ask you some further questions before I commit myself.
bates.jpg
Of course. What do you wish to ask of me?
me.jpg
What can you tell me of the recent attempt on your life?
bates.jpg
They're not much, really, as Chukka is given to overzealousness in his protection of my person. He rendered the interloper lifeless before I could question him. All he had on his person was an amulet bearing the symbol of the Molochean Hand, the eye in the hexagram. They were a religious order of assassins some 500 years ago. Rumors of their continued existence surface periodically, but are unusually proven to be hoaxes. I figure this for a new group trying to adopt some of the prestige of the name.
me.jpg
They seem to be after me as well.
bates.jpg
Let us hope for both our sakes that they are mere pretenders to the name, then. I would be loathe to have the authentic Molocheans out for my blood.
me.jpg
Why do you suppose they tried to kill us?
bates.jpg
I do not know. But I am beginning to believe they are behind Stennar's death. This all seems to be pointing to my involvement with the Black Mountain Clan, doesn't it? That is why I feel it is imperative to find out their fate. Our lives seem to be dependent on it, in fact.
me.jpg
Some of our lives more than others, eh?
bates.jpg
*He looks at his enormous bodyguard.* Yes, it would seem that I am well-protected here, but the more staff one has, the easier it is for one of them to be bribed or replaced with an assassin. Also, my notoriety keeps me a prisoner inside my house. They will always know where to look for me. You, on the other hand can blend with the crowd, so to speak.
me.jpg
(He's got a point there.) You didn't actually invent the steam engine?
bates.jpg
I have never actually claimed that I did. It was just people's assumption. I have invented any number of devices based off its principals, but I did not invent the first one.
me.jpg
Is that not dishonest? Taking credit for something you didn't do?
bates.jpg
Yes it is, and it torments me every day. I was but a child when the robed ones gave me their dire warnings, and I was terrified. They were explicit that I was not to reveal the origins of the steam engine.
me.jpg
(Wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense...Why would they do that? Aren't they out to ruin Bates? Why didn't the Molochean Hand killed Bates before he was succesful?) Why the need to impress the dwarves after they rejected you?
bates.jpg
You don't understand, I was...I was orphaned at a young age. The dwarves represented everything I wanted my family to be - a tight knit clan. And the respect I had for their brilliance with technology...I made the mistake common to youth, IU thought intelligence equaled compassion. I needed to belong, to find out that I had some worth.
me.jpg
You were orphaned? What happened?
bates.jpg
My mother died bringing me into this world. I believe my father died then as well, even though he continued to exist in the world for some eight more years. When he could stand living no longer, he took his own life.
me.jpg
(Poor little rich sod.) But abandoning you like that....
bates.jpg
He left me decently provided for, and with his grasp on reality becoming more tenuous each day, I believe he felt I would be safer in the care of others. *He shakes his head sadly.* The last thing he did in this life was to give me that ring.
me.jpg
And then you gave it to Stennar?
bates.jpg
That is how much his friendship meant to me. I was devastated when he disappeared with the rest of the clan. I believe I felt more deserted and alone then, than I did when my father killed himself.
me.jpg
(Something about the story doesn't add up. The dwarves disappearance, the cloaked figures...) Can you tell me about your business?
bates.jpg
Well, as you know, I am the foremost manufacturer of steam engines in Arcanum, virtually without competition. I am working on a prototype for a smaller, more efficient engine right now, as a matter of fact. I also have various interest in other technological endeavors.
me.jpg
How have you devastated your competition so?
bates.jpg
It's not much of an accomplishment when old Cedric Appleby is your chief competitor. Poor Cedric. Always was a bit of a blundering fool. I really wish I could have convinced him to come work for me.
me.jpg
Why? I mean, if he's such an idiot?
bates.jpg
Cedric and I were close friends when we were children. He was furious that I wouldn't introduce him to the dwarves...Can you imagine? I had a difficult enough time gaining their respect without his simple-mindedness. After I "invented" the steam engine he began to despise me. Strangely enough, I wish he was still my friend some days.
me.jpg
(No, Appleby is not the mastermind. He's not that smart. Someone else is pulling the string, someone more powerful, with a bigger aim.) Well, I'm sorry I took much of your time, Mr. Bates. About that job offer, I'll return when I'm ready to accept it.

The old man looked very disappointed, yet remain hopeful. I know my path will take me there soon. The Molochean Hands must be watching the mansion around the clock, and I've exposed myself as soon as I stepped near it. I have to unravel the mystery before they get to me, but first, I need to prepare myself.

Outside the Mansion...

23.jpg

virgil.jpg
How was the meeting, sir?
me.jpg
Fruitful. But I need more time.
virgil.jpg
I see. Did you learn anything about the ring?
me.jpg
*Holds the ring.* I think we're on to something big, Virgil. And despite my great skepticism of this Living One prophecy, I cannot shake the feeling that it's related. I need to prepare myself for the great task before me. Let's return to the inn.
virgil.jpg
Very well, sir.

Later that night,

24.jpg

26.jpg

me2.jpg
Locked. Must be a window near the alley. *Summons Ogre* Break it down.
27.jpg

me2.jpg
Forgive my trespass, madam. *Gestures at the Ogre, who held the short lady by the throat with a slicing throat motion.*
27a.jpg

me2.jpg
The goods must be inside. Break the chest.
28.jpg

me2.jpg
Yes...it's here...Begone. *Dismisses the Ogre.*
29.jpg

The next morning...

30.jpg

RK47

Patron
Recommended music to set the mood: Countdown

Tarant.

01.jpg

jim.jpg
By the gods.
bruce.jpg
What have we got, Jim?
jim.jpg
Armed robbery, from the looks of it. Poor guy was killed in his room, someone raided his safe and made his way out.
bruce.jpg
These are a series of hard blows. No human would be capable of such force.
jim.jpg
An ogre?
bruce.jpg
Yes, most possibly.
jim.jpg
I'll tell the rest of the guards. Thanks, Bruce. City's been on the edge lately. Something foul has happened to Tarant.
bruce.jpg
I know Jim, that murder at Madam Lil's, could it be connected?
jim.jpg
Could be the same ogre. He broke in from the window, poor old lady never stood a chance. Made away with some jewelry, I heard.
bruce.jpg
Unusually intelligent for an ogre, don't you think?
jim.jpg
What are you trying to say?
bruce.jpg
Nothing, Jim. Just a gut feeling.

Elsewhere...

07.jpg

me.jpg
Are we there yet?
virgil.jpg
Just a few more days, sir...according to Mrs. Pettibone the Elven Ruins is undergoing excavation at the moment, not sure if the workers there would let us get away with one of the stones.
me.jpg
We'll just have to see, won't we?

A few days later...

09.jpg

me.jpg
Uh..nothing. I was just traveling the countryside...
elf.jpg
I don't believe you. I will ask you once more, what are you doing here?
virgil.jpg
*Whispers* Best not push your luck, sir.
me.jpg
I was sent here to retrieve something.
elf.jpg
What do you mean, "retrieve somethig"?
me.jpg
(Fuck it.) Some rich society woman paid me to get a funerary stone.
elf.jpg
So you just thought you'd come here and desecrate our holy ground?
me.jpg
I had no idea. I just needed the money. I am truly sorry.
elf.jpg
Tell us who she is, and we will let you go.
me.jpg
(She can't pay me enough.) Mrs. Pettibone. She lives at 21 Lungsten Road in Tarant.
elf.jpg
You are free to go...but I warn you, never return. You have two minutes to leave this place.
me.jpg
Let's go, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
I think we just doomed Mrs. Pettibone...
me.jpg
I know that! Let's return to Tarant to find out if that's the case!

Meanwhile in Tarant....

03.jpg

jim.jpg
I...I don't know what to say.
bruce.jpg
Mmm. Two guards, and a woman killed in broad daylight.
jim.jpg
Look at that ceremonial dagger stuck in the lady's torso...
bruce.jpg
Ritual killing...elven?
jim.jpg
I don't like this one bit...that's four people killed in less than a week. You think they're connected?
bruce.jpg
This one's different, Jim. The cuts use too much finesse to be an ogre. No one saw anyone entering or leaving. They must've used teleportation magic.
jim.jpg
Blast it! If only we could just conjure spirits and ask them what happened!
bruce.jpg
The victim's family would not allow it...we'll just have to do it the hard way. *Sighs.* We're done here, get the coroner.

Days later...

me.jpg
Boy, give me a newspaper. *Tosses two coins.*
10.jpg

me.jpg
Shit. They got to her first.
virgil.jpg
Should we tell the authorities?
me.jpg
No. Let's return to the inn. I'll think of something. We need some good rest.

And night falls...

11.jpg

me2.jpg
I'm sorry, Virgil. Underground contact bounties for tonight are....*reads note*

Morning comes...

06.jpg

jim.jpg
*Takes a deep puff from his cigar.* Un-fucking-believable.
bruce.jpg
H.T Parnell, museum curator and Gar, the world's smartest orc. They were headed to bed when someone killed both of them. Mr. Parnell got a shot off his shotgun, Gar didn't stand a chance, he was completely unarmed. But no blood trail nor bullet holes except on the victims...most curious.
jim.jpg
Is it the ogre?
bruce.jpg
Yes...
12.jpg

bruce.jpg
..and no.

A constable arrives and whispers some hushed words to the elderly sergeant.

jim.jpg
Bruce, we've got more bodies. At the Zoological Society.
bruce.jpg
Let's go.

The Zoological Society

02.jpg

jim.jpg
Dr. Tristan Fenwick...current exhibits are mostly Dragons. I really can't fathom a motive here, Bruce. The receptionist is just in the wrong place at the wrong time...what was the monster after?
bruce.jpg
The doctor died first. The ogre sliced off a chunk of the torso, severing the right arm in the process. Loss of consciousness and blood loss.
13.jpg

bruce.jpg
The safe's empty. Lots of dust, but a single round spot is clean. A bottle of substance was removed here. The suspect leaves the room with a bloodied sword, the receptionist was too stunned to move, and the ogre beheads her head in one swift motion.
jim.jpg
I think I'm going to be sick.

Hours before....

me2.jpg
Huff...huff...so far so good. This is the last one...I'm getting stronger...Come forth - from the depths of hell! OPEN THE HELLGATE !
14.jpg

me2.jpg
Kill...them...all...
15.jpg

Present time.
05.jpg

jim.jpg
I've HAD ENOUGH. What are we dealing with, Bruce? What sort of maniac would do this overnight? What is happening to our fair city?
bruce.jpg
*Closes his eyes. Draws a deep breath.* It wasn't the ogre. Something massive broke the front door. Alarmed, the ogre bodyguard awake to defend his master. It was no match to its massive claws. A fatal strike severed the ogre's left arm. The gnome cowers in one corner, begging for mercy as the beast advances towards him.
16.jpg

bruce.jpg
Then it was over. Someone else...not the beast removed a ring from the dead gnome's finger...as indicated by the indentation on his finger.
jim.jpg
We need something. ANYTHING! Or the mayor will have our heads if we don't!
bruce.jpg
An ogre, an elf, a demon. What are they?
jim.jpg
*Thinks hard* Magical?
bruce.jpg
A summoning elf mage.
jim.jpg
Let's go.

Minutes later...

17.jpg

me.jpg
What happened here I wonder?
virgil.jpg
I asked the doorman about it, sir. He said there was an armed robbery last night, the occupants of this house were killed.
me.jpg
*Smiles.* I see. Let's return to Bates. I think the assassins are on the move. We need to make ours as well.
virgil.jpg
Yes, sir. Let's hurry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom