Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense - Update 44

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Heyah Kodex :salute:

Korenzel's excellent TFTD LP gave me an insatiable urge to play MOAR X-COM stuff. He's already covering TFTD, so I figured I'd play some UFO instead. Then I thought you guys might be interested in participating in an LP. I'll be altering the tech tree through LARPing, so hopefully the game will be a bit more difficult than it would be otherwise.

Code:
It is 1999 and Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) have started appearing with disturbing
regularity in the night skies. Reports of violent human abductions and horrific
experimentation struck terror into the hearts of millions. The mass public hysteria has only
served to expose Earth's impotence against a vastly superior technology.
Many countries initially attempted to deal independently with the aliens. In August 1998, Japan
established an anti-alien combat force; the Kiryu-Kai. Equipped with Japanese-made fighter
aircraft, the Kiryu-Kai certainly looked like a powerful force. However, after 5 months of
expensive operations they had yet to intercept their first UFO. The lesson was clear: this was a
worldwide problem which could not be dealt with by individual countries.
On December 11, 1998, representatives from the worlds most economically powerful countries
gathered secretly in Geneva. After much debate, the decision was made to establish a covert
independent body to combat, investigate and defeat the alien threat. This organization would be
equipped with the world's finest pilots, soldiers, scientists and engineers, working together as
one multi-national force. This organization was named the E[b]x[/b]traterrestrial [b]Com[/b]bat Unit."

XIHdb.jpg

And so it begins!

gAv3j.jpg

The local TFTD release has a potatospeak option. The local UFO release, sadly, does not.

6qVGh.jpg

mui0s.jpg

Lesser difficulty settings are too welcoming and appeal to too broad audiences. :rpgcodex:

QJfAY.jpg

Our first base will be in the heartland of the European Union.

Oa3Wu.jpg

No, that does not mean Germany.

8QO7u.jpg

The geometric centre of Europe lies in the vast, windswept realm to the east.

Mua5g.jpg

Amidst the endless fields of ripe potato! :salute:
3925.png
:salute:

aVo2Q.jpg

Potato-1 was the base's official designation in the Glorious Potatoland Military. Upon transition to X-COM command it was designated EuroCOM. But it is not our only base...

AMBkk.jpg

We have one in Asia...

gFl1H.jpg

It is the former base of the Japanese Kiryu-Kai unit, now fully integrated with X-COM and designated AsiaCOM

aThV4.jpg

Still, there is a thrid base, one ceded to the international effort by the United States of Kwanzania.

Ur3oB.jpg

Formerly a section of Area 51, it is now designated NorthAmCOM.

Now, before you all start baying for my blood for starting with three bases, think how much their upkeep will cost. The Council of Funding Nations can be generous, but it does *not* give a lot of money at the game's beggining. Plus, I plan on selling only researched alien artifacts.

As you may know:

Code:
----
Army Air Corps personnel from the 509th Bomb Group report the crash of a "flying disk" in the
desert near Roswell, New Mexico. Some reports claim that there were two objects, and that one
actually housed three alien beings: two dead and one alive. Before the end of the day, Army Air
Corps officials retract the story, claiming that the object that crashed was actually a weather
balloon. The existence of alien beings is categorically denied.
All of the "weather balloon" debris and other physical evidence of the "Roswell Incident" are
quickly whisked away to Wright Airfield in Ohio.

The initial reports were true. The living alien died before proper contact could be established with it. After Wright Airfield, the Army Air Corps moved the corpses, the remains of the UFO and all alien artifacts found at the site to Area 51 in Nevada.

s216r.jpg

The alien corpses were dissected there, allowing for the creation of blueprints of a containment facility that would keep aliens from dying.

WjngM.jpg

And but a few ears ago the Kwa scientists managed to gain an understanding of the materials used to construct the crashed alien vessel. Still, the workings of several other artifacts remain unknown. Most of these items seem to be weapons of some sort, but without a live alien to explain their operation they might as well be inert stones.

YtqXa.jpg

EuroCOM was richly furnished by the European Union, its canteens overflowing with the finest potato. It is X-COM's primary scientific and interception facility, with production capabilites to boot. The SAS, French Foreign Legion and GROM troopers make up a large chunk of the base's population.

Cum1M.jpg

The Skyranger troop transport has been provided to X-COM by the Russian Federation, along with a siezable unit Spetsnaz troopers.*

* I'm not sure what happened to the colours in this screenshot. Still, its readable.

5w7bm.jpg

NorthAmCOM has served as the model X-COM interception base. Any scientific research ongoing in the remaining parts of Area 51 is not under X-COM jurisdiction. Its military complement is mainly made up of Delta Force, Navy SEALS and Ranger troopers.

ToKRe.jpg

X-COM's new Interceptor fighters were designed at Area 51.*

* I'm not sure what happened to the colours in this screenshot either. I hope this won't crop up too often!

6L3wj.jpg

AsiaCOM has seen some heavy restructuring since X-COM acquired the assets of the Kiryu-Kai. Now it is an interception facility modeled after NorthAmCOM. Following the failure of the Kiryu-Kai, the base has been manned by a multinational taksforce from both other bases.

RESEARCH:

94nrV.png

Note that most research options are in red. This is because our scientists have no idea how these items work and we'll require a live alien to explain some basics to us. Medi-kit and Motion Scanner technology is a decade old now.

X-COM TROOPS ROSTER

Code:
EuroCOM 2
Drog	Flight Officer Interceptor-5 pilot

NorthAmCOM
Ripper      Commander
chzr      Major Fighter Interceptor-3 pilot
Pope Amole   Colonel
Slips III Captain
Dextermorgan III Captain
Desmodus III Captain
U-Cat 2	Captain
KickAss      Lieutenant Tank pilot
JoKa IV Sargeant
Warcupine Sargeant
Azira III Sargeant
Fat Boobs Sargeant
PrzeSzkoda Squaddie
Medic Squaddie
The Thin Man Squaddie

AsiaCOM
TNO      Colonel
Drakron		Major Interceptor-4a pilot
Slaughter II Colonel      
Hartman      Captain
MMXI Sr Captain
Darthowicz Captain
RK47      Lieutenant Tank pilot
eklektyk II Sargeant
Comrade Commissar Sargeant
Sergiu67 Sargeant
kazgar VI Sargeant
Donaroriak Sargeant
Steve Sargeant
Hellraiser vII Sargeant

RIP
Hellraiser   Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Jaedar      Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
MMXI      Squaddie   
pounded_anus   Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
dextermorgan   Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Malkal      Captain     
JoKa      Sargeant   
Azira      Sargeant   
Slaughter   Squaddie   
Slips      Squaddie   
Thrombone   Squaddie
Desmondus Rotundus Squaddie
Derper      Squaddie
Jaedar Jr   Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
dextermorgan II Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Merkwurdigliebe Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Garfunkel   Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
Desmondus II	
eklektyk   Captain      
Hellraiser II   Squaddie
Cheddar		Squaddie
Lightbane   Sargeant   
U-Cat      Squaddie
kazgar	Squaddie
RK74	Sargeant
Mal   Sargeant
Slips II	Squaddie
JoKa II Sargeant
Roxorowski   Commander   
Darkbane Squaddie
Jaedar II Squaddie
Sergiu64 Sargeant
Thromclone Squaddie
golgepapaz   Sargeant
Sergiu65 Squaddie (posthumous promotion)
pounded_anus II Sargeant
RK47 II Squaddie
MMXI Jr	Captain
Kazgar II Squaddie
Jaedar Mk3 Squaddie
Sergiu66 Squaddie
Spider		Captain
PrzeSzkoda Squaddie
NewBee Squaddie
Hellraiser III   Captain
Hellraiser IV Squaddie
poundedanus III Squaddie
Korenzel Colonel
Bee     Major Interceptor-1 pilot
ironyuri   Captain
Merkwurdigliebe II Captain
Gondolin   Lieutenant Tank pilot   
Drog	Lieutenant Interceptor-3a pilot
toastboy   Sargeant
JoKa III Sargeant
Roxorowicz Squaddie
BLOBEERT Squaddie
PrzeSzkoda 2 Squaddie
Hellraiser V Rookie
Jaedar Mk4 Squaddie
kazgar III Squaddie
Azira II   Captain
Hellraiser VI Sargeant
Malakalov Captain

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sign me up, Malakal, whatever position that allows me to shoot my fellow soldiers in the back for cowardice or bad breath.

Also: have you installed the AI patch by kyrub? If no the please do so, it needs and deserves some testing.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Malakal said:
Also: have you installed the AI patch by kyrub? If no the please do so, it needs and deserves some testing.

Never heard of it until now. Just installed it and it appears to be working. I hope the game won't crash when we're halfway into it!

Also, updating the main post with a troops roster. I'll make a proper update with people's stats when more volunteers join the cause.

Please vote on research options.

A) LAZORS
B) TEH ARMROR

And on expanding

A) North American Base
B) Asian Base

with a Skyranger hangar.

eklektyk

Erudite
Malakal said:
Sign me up, Malakal, whatever position that allows me to shoot my fellow soldiers in the back for cowardice or bad breath.

that simply cant be ...

this LP needs ME!

Eklektyk reports for DUty! :salute:

to shot anything that looks funny or i dislike it/him/she ....

and of course in Great Potato Base :M

edity edit

Armors for commisars [ME!] only and expand kwanzanians base for tasteful manboon rape :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The local TFTD release has a potatospeak option. The local UFO release, sadly, does not.

Except that it does. 'Stopy Metali Obcych' is something I will never forget :thumbsup:

YtqXa.jpg

Custom base layout, huh, you miękki siusiak?

Anyway, get TEH LAZORS 'cause they are awesum. And you can enlist Commander Roxorowski in the great potato base :obviously:

and expand kwa base

chzr

Scholar
so, chzr wants to be fighter pilot on kwa base :M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Research LAZORS. Killing stuff is more important than survival, of course as long as my comissar is safely placed behind the human wave of conscripts.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Darth Roxor said:

Except that it does. 'Stopy Metali Obcych' is something I will never forget :thumbsup:

:what:

:rage:

Perhaps it's for the better I never saw that... Anyway, my game is quite old, and the CD that contained it and TFTD had potatospeak only for TFTD. I had no idea there was another potato release.

Darth Roxor said:
Custom base layout, huh, you miękki siusiak?

I'd arrange it like that anyway, but it would take time best spent on other things. I might reduce X-COM's starting budget to compensate for that and the larger fighting force and the larger science team. I have no fucking idea, however, how we'll make ends meet when the end of the month comes

:yeah:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sargeant Azira reporting for duty to defend the European Onion. Or potato, whatever you want to call it.

Point me towards the aliens, and I'll lay waste with reckless abandon. Explosives preferred. :salute:

Oh, and laser weaponry for the grunts would be a good thing. Armor can wait. I'm sure Potatoland has boundless volounteers just waiting to step up and serve. :smug:

Pope Amole

Educated
Sergeant Pope Amole reporting for duty!

Oh, and of course it is B - it's much better to die ironclad, it's like being buried in a closed coffin so your horribly mangled appearance won't scare kids, pregnant women and potential X-com recruits.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll take a Rookie slot in the Euro base as "U-Cat".

There's always need for people to do the dirty work. Let's see if I can start down there and work my way up through the ranks.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I have only one life. I treasure it fully, for the green and blue earth. :salute:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Rookie Jaedar reporting in for Eurocom. He wants a lazor gun.

lightbane

Arcane
Agent Lightbane volunteers!! No matter the job, he can do it!!!

Oh, and I vote for Lasers and to expand Amerikwa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom