Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theyrin - an isometric indie RPG (WIP)

bit_abuser

Novice
Hey guys :)

I'm developing an RPG game, mostly Fallout and Arcanum inspired. The project is now a bit over a month old and this is what it looks like so far:

newtribal.png

mentor.png

tribal.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZsB97e-Ww

I'm creating all the graphics myself, and the sounds are just a placeholder taken from another game.

[EDIT]Just to clarify, I'm not the author of that drawing, It was done for me by a friend.

The setting is a mix of post-apocalyptic sci-fi with some fantasy thrown in. Unlike in Fallout it's far, far future and the civilization has collapsed completely. Humanity consists of tribal societies and there are no continents (or at least no one knows about them), just loads of islands, villages and city-states. I'm considering some sort of magic, which would be very rare and actually just possible with ancient high-tech artifacts (so it would just appear as magic).

If there's any interest at all I can keep posting updates.

I'll gladly ask any questions and listen to advice :)

torpid

Liturgist
Looks ok, though I'm expecting the local artfags to lambast it. Interesting setting, but could you elaborate on the gameplay? The rule system, attributes/skills, combat (I assume it's turn-based)?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not much to see yet, really. Do a bit more work on it, I am sure that you'll get more feedback then. And better to ask questions if you have specific areas you want feedback on.

bit_abuser

Novice
You want to post this in the Workshop I think: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=37

Ah, sorry, I will. One second.

I will also answer the questions in the other post.

EDIT: Ah, some mod did the work for me, thanks :)

Looks ok, though I'm expecting the local artfags to lambast it.

I'm not a "real" artist so it won't be too pretty ;) Still, I want it to look nicer than Spiderweb games...

And it's by no means a final look, it can change a lot. This is what it looked like only two weeks ago:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2j767c.jpg

Interesting setting, but could you elaborate on the gameplay? The rule system, attributes/skills, combat (I assume it's turn-based)?

Well, those things do not exist yet, so I just have a vague idea on what it will be like, and my ideas may change as I work on it. I'm working on the basics now, to have a character walking around, chatting with NPC's etc. You can expect it to be heavily influenced by Fallout though. It will be a lone wanderer kind of game with no set classes etc.

Combat will be turn based, slightly more fluid than in Fallout (no hex system).

Not much to see yet, really. Do a bit more work on it, I am sure that you'll get more feedback then. And better to ask questions if you have specific areas you want feedback on.

True, but I see I'm getting some already, and any feedback keeps me motivated :) I will post new screenshots and videos regularly.

Is that actually ingame screenshot or just some shit you've thrown together in Paint?

That question is easily answered by the YouTube link provided in the first post ;)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ground tiles need more variation. The grass tile looks pretty nice but it's clearly visible that it's a single tile repeated ad nauseum. The same with the stone floor tile.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Seems like it evolved a lot in two weeks. :)

I like the sprites, just need to add some movement.

bit_abuser said:
Combat will be turn based, slightly more fluid than in Fallout (no hex system)
Wait. You mean there's no grid at all?

bit_abuser

Novice
Ground tiles need more variation. The grass tile looks pretty nice but it's clearly visible that it's a single tile repeated ad nauseum. The same with the stone floor tile.

I'll work on that tonight :)

Seems like it evolved a lot in two weeks. :)

I like the sprites, just need to add some movement.

Thank you :) I'll try to make walking (or running?) animation of the protagonist at least for one direction tonight, if I have the time.

Wait. You mean there's no grid at all?

No, not really.

curry

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:

The graphics are unimportant at this point. Just get the engine done and maybe you're game won't turn out to be vapourware like AoD.

bit_abuser

Novice
Is the game in our future, or is it set in an alternate/fantasy universe? Not sure if I got that correctly.

You won't know until you see the remains of the Statue of Liberty after the last boss :smug:

But seriously - even if it is our planet you wouldn't know, it's that far in the future. Few hundred years after the Apocalypse, which occurred few hundred years from now maybe? That's my excuse for having bits of technology indistinguishable from magic at least. And the world being mostly flooded is my excuse for there being so little left of the ancients.

lol, I hope you kept those mutant critters.

I do want to, they're cute and animated. I will probably have to remake them though, they just look flat and out of place now.

The graphics are unimportant at this point. Just get the engine done and maybe you're game won't turn out to be vapourware like AoD.

True, but at the same you need the graphics to see if things are working alright so i try to make them nice enough for me to work with and improve them as i go along.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bit_abuser said:
I'm not a "real" artist so it won't be too pretty ;) Still, I want it to look nicer than Spiderweb games...

Already does. It doesn't hurt my eyes or look utterly displeasing due to shitty color choices like Spiderweb games.

Shemar

Educated
The setting leaves you with a lot of freedom (I do mean that as a good thing). Hopefully you will use it to create something special.

The lack of a grid and the lack of a party are some early negatives about the combat system. Still, not deal breakers so if/when it is ready (and has a free demo) I will give it a fair shot.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
One of the first things you'll need to do is to let the character be viewed when behind a wall.

There will be many other issues too, all tied to the renderer and mouse. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

bit_abuser

Novice
The lack of a grid and the lack of a party are some early negatives about the combat system.

I don't like the party system that much personally, I hope to have some followers/mercenaries though.

Could you explain to me what is so good about a grid? Isn't more movement freedom better? I can still implement it.

One of the first things you'll need to do is to let the character be viewed when behind a wall.

Almost done :) Just not working that well yet.

There will be many other issues too, all tied to the renderer and mouse. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

Thank you for that offer :)

btw. I've been checking out Shelter for a while now, looks very promising.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Looks promising, especially for a one-month-old project.

Hope you won't abandon it at the worst possible moment :)

bit_abuser

Novice
hoverdog said:
Looks promising, especially for a one-month-old project.

Hope you won't abandon it at the worst possible moment :)

Thank you :)

And no, I'm not going to abandon it (yeah, I know we all heard that one before ;) ).

walltrans.png

There we go :)

spectre

Arcane
Doesn't look bad, the sprites could use more variation of course, and some shading, but good job for a non-artist nonetheless.
I'm sure you'll get there.

Hm. So it's postapoc again? Nothing wrong with that, but I was hoping for somethink like UnrealWorld.

ElectricOtter

Looks awesome. I love the graphic style for the character sprites.

J1M

Arcane
Will you be able to choose a race other than injun? Game looks promising, but I don't want to be saddled with a predisposition towards alcohol and an inability to rise out of the stone age.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What technology do you use for the game?
I mean, in terms of engine, images, etc.

If this has already been answered, I'm sorry, but I feel lazy right now :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom