Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Rise of the Dragon

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DAY ZERO: INTRODUCTION

Welcome to my LP of Rise of the Dragon, the first of three Dynamix adventure games to use DGDS (Dynamix Game Development System) and my personal favorite of these. While relatively short and not overly difficult (I'd classify it as "medium") the game is notable for having a HUGE amount of optional content. It's in fact extremely short if you know the minimal required actions to the end, but the extra content provides a lot of extra information on plot points that would otherwise remain unresolved if you speed through. Another aspect to all this optional content is that there are alternative solutions to many of the puzzles, some quite elaborate. My aim in the LP will be to show as much of the optional content as possible, as I think it really fleshes out the atmosphere, characters and story, not to mention providing me with more puzzles to go through, and all this makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

On the stylistic side, the reason I like this game more than the others is for its atmosphere. Think of the story as a combination of Blade Runner, Film Noir and Michael Cimino's Year of the Dragon. As unlikely as it sounds, all these elements blend together very well. Since the game was developed right after Dynamix was acquired by Sierra, it uses two methods that pretty much defined the adventures made by the latter in this era: scans of hand-painted backgrounds, and a beautiful soundtrack made on and for the Roland MT-32. Both greatly contribute to the atmosphere.

Without further ado, here's the game's introduction.

dragon_000.png

dragon_001.png

dragon_002.png

dragon_003.png

dragon_004.png

dragon_005.png

dragon_006.png

dragon_007.png

dragon_008.png

dragon_009.png

dragon_010.png

dragon_011.png

dragon_012.png

dragon_013.png

dragon_014.png

dragon_015.png

dragon_016.png

dragon_017.png

dragon_018.png

dragon_019.png

dragon_020.png

dragon_021.png

dragon_022.png

dragon_023.png

dragon_024.png

Fade to black, then cut to an ominous monologue.

dragon_025.png

dragon_026.png

dragon_027.png

As you can see, the game tries for a comic book feel in its art style and cutscenes, despite some background animations (that you can't see in screenshots, obviously) in some of the frames. I think it works really well for the most part. The manual even comes with a faux-comic book (made by "Dynamix Comix"). Even though some of it is identical to the introduction we just watched, I'm reproducing it in its entirety because the other part of the comic provides some background information on the protagonist, William "Blade" Hunter. The "guide" and the ads are also pretty funny, and the guide even has some very useful information, which I will point out once we get to that point in the game.

Comic01.jpg

Comic02.jpg

Comic03.jpg

Comic04.jpg

Comic05.jpg

Comic06.jpg

Comic07.jpg

Comic08.jpg

Comic09.jpg

Comic10.jpg

Comic11.jpg

Comic12.jpg

Comic13.jpg

Comic14.jpg

Comic15.jpg

Comic16.jpg

And that's it for today. Next time we'll start the game proper. For now I'll leave you with a recording of the awesome opening titles theme as recorded on an MT-32.

lightbane

Arcane
Hey, a lp of this game? Yay :love: I've always planned to play it but never finished it, I'll follow the lp with interest.

dragon_027.png

These two could be good avatars...

Comic02.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Cereb-o thingy would be much better than Kinect.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Never finish High School ?! Too busy playing computer games and making LPs ? :lol:

Excellent game with some enjoyable cheesyness. It's good that suddenly codex went cyberpunk.

I expect you to die in this LP with all the horrible ways you can die in this game, and also show us most to the dead ends you can get, they really add flavor to the game. I especially liked the one where you make your girlfriend really mad.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Finished it a few years ago. Was a good game, but aged badly. Didn't expect the pixels to stand out so much. :)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
I've always planned to play it but never finished it, I'll follow the lp with interest.
I'd tell you to stop reading the LP and go play it, but I don't want to lose a regular commenter ;)

ghostdog said:
Never finish High School ?! Too busy playing computer games and making LPs ?
Hey, I did finish high school! :(

I expect you to die in this LP with all the horrible ways you can die in this game, and also show us most to the dead ends you can get, they really add flavor to the game. I especially liked the one where you make your girlfriend really mad.
Don't worry, that dead end already has all screenshots taken (though it'll not be in the next update). For ways to die, I'll try (there's one in the next update) but I may forget some of them (I've played the game waaaaaaaaaay too many times...). As for the other dead ends, the game doesn't actually have as many as you'd think. Some that seem like dead ends (such as losing your gun) can be gotten out of thanks to all the optional and alternate paths.

RK47 said:
Didn't expect the pixels to stand out so much. :)
Yeah I was a bit saddened as well. But I don't mind so much because I love the art style.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
IS SHE TALLER THAN YOU?
Gain 2" instantly!
Stand on her feet.
FAKE-YOU, Inc.
One-eyed socipathic dwarf
Halitosis, Gingivitis, and Other Fun Things
A well rested dick is an effective dick

:what:

Oh gosh, that's bad.

Otherwise, they may just take your candy bar and say "Thanks dude."

:(

We recommend taking all your meals in restaurants named after a person with three or less letters in their first name

:roll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY ONE, AFTERNOON: MAKING UP

The game opens right where the comic left off, in Blade's "apartment". One thing to note before anything else: this is an investigation, so keep in mind that anything the player sees as a "meanwhile" sequence, Blade does not know about . It can help you decide what to do, but you can't use the information to do something that Blade is otherwise incapable of doing. This is important because most of this and the next update will be about tracking down who Chandra was with - but if you look at the intro and the comic you already know the answer...

Now a few words about the interface. This is all point and click with an "intelligent" cursor that switches between 4 states: the regular arrow cursor, an EXIT sign to move to another location, a magnifying glass to examine things more closely (zoom-in so to speak), and a differently-shaped arrow that indicates interaction, including picking things up. An example of the latter:

dragon_028.png

indicating that the pile of clothes can be picked up. When you take things, they can then be moved into the inventory by dragging onto the small portrait at the bottom right of the screen.

dragon_029.png

The above screen shows this after it's done with the clothes, and the coat is about to follow suit (hurr). One more thing about the cursor: all the interactions are done by left-clicking. Right-clicking provides a text description (when appropriate). The whole system is very transparent. While the descriptions (especially of background stuff) are great and add a lot to the atmosphere, I won't be transcribing them unless they're particularly funny.

Anyway, the last thing I need to touch on is the inventory. There are two modes: left-clicking on the portrait brings up a small screen with all items Blade is carrying and allows using them on the outside world (more on that later), right-clicking brings up the same screen but attached to a not-ragdoll representation of Blade. This is where items can be used on him directly.

dragon_030.png

Yes well he is in his own apartment...

Notice the arrows at the top. The single arrow advances time by one minute, the double arrows by one hour. The date and time are NOT here for show. The game has both a global time limit AND events happening at specific times that you can miss. I'll point them out as we come to them.

So, let's get Blade to look a bit more decent...

dragon_031.png

... followed by the raincoat...

dragon_032.png

Much better!

By the way, if you try to get out without your clothes on, you get a warning, followed by this:

dragon_177.png

Tpolice.png
You're under arrest for indecent exposure!

dragon_178.png

dragon_theend.png

Yep, you can get a game over with exactly 3 clicks after starting. This is a Sierra-published adventure game after all...

Unfortunately it is totally impossible to get out with clothes but no coat. Game refuses to let you out without the coat, and if you have the coat in your inventory it automatically puts it on, where it becomes undroppable.

Anyway we reload the game, and check out the apartment. There are three EXIT signs: the doorway on the left, and on each side of the screen leading to the two ends of the corridor outside the apartment. You can also get closer to the computer and to the cupboard above the sink. The cupboard is locked for now, so let's examine the computer.

dragon_033.png

This is Blade's vidPhone, which will get used quite a bit by the end. The cursor is pointing at some ammo, which I pick up and physically move to inventory. Then we press the power button and grab the remote control.

dragon_034.png

The mayor (who was just here visiting) has left us another message. The options are pretty slef-explanatory, so we click play.

dragon_035.png

Tvidmayor.png
... all were horribly disfigured like my... (gulp) ...my poor daughter.

Tvidmayor.png
This infection is spreading, whatever it is...

Tvidmayor.png
You've got to find out what's causing this! I suggest that you start ath the Pleasure Dome.

Tvidmayor.png
It's where my daughter was last seen. Look for someone called "The Jake". He was one of Chandra's friends.

Tvidmayor.png
Not that I'd call any of the slime that hangs out there a "friend"!

Tvidmayor.png
I'm sending you a vid-transmission hardcopy of my daughter...

Tvidmayor.png
It's not pretty but you might need it.

Tvidmayor.png
I don't need to remind you that this investigation is strictly unofficial. I don't want a word of this to leak to the press.

Tvidmayor.png
Good luck!

dragon_036.png

The game helpfully keeps track of which messages you've seen, although there will be a slight subversion of this later on. Anyway we pick up the photo and move it to the inventory. Opening the inventory (in either mode) and right-clicking on items shows a description and an enlarged view of the item.

dragon_037.png

I will be doing this for all major items, as it'll make it easier to keep track of what Blade is carrying, so that when the item does get used you will hopefully not scratch your head trying to remember where it came from.

dragon_038.png

Moving on, we play the next message.

dragon_039.png

Not terribly useful, but it's not entirely a red herring.

dragon_040.png

The last message is from Karyn, Blade's "sometimes-girlfriend" as the game describes her.

dragon_041.png

... and she is not happy.

Tvidkaryn.png
We did have a date!

Tvidkaryn.png
Or did that happen to slip your mind?

Tvidkaryn.png
You bag of toxic waste!

Tvidkaryn.png
And don't forget that you left your keys at my place.

Tvidkaryn.png
I should just flush 'em!

Tvidkaryn.png
I'll be at the Bureau of Records early...

Tvidkaryn.png
in case you happen to roll outta bed before noon!

You now have the reason behind the naming of this update.

Anyway, after putting down the remote and stepping away from the VidPhone, we step through the side doorway I mentioned earlier into the cramped bathroom.

dragon_042.png

Opening the compartment reveals two items.

dragon_043.png

dragon_044.png

dragon_045.png

Neither is essential thanks to alternate paths and multiple puzzle solutions, but we will be using both, so we grab them.

Now, remember when I said the Guide in the comic/manual was mostly useless but with exceptions? Here's one.

ID Card: Don't leave home without it

While the card is again not technically essential, it is useful to have. So, we go back to the VidPhone and grab it from the slot.

dragon_046.png

dragon_047.png

Only one more thing to do in the apartment for now. No self-respecting PI goes without his gun... and where would you expect a PI to keep his gun?

dragon_048.png

dragon_049.png

No, you don't get a prize for guessing this one.

dragon_050.png

This is the "simple" inventory mode I mentioned earlier. You can combine items by simply moving one on top of the other. Here I'm loading the gun with the ammo found earlier. Dragging any item outside the window will close it, allowing you to use the item with anything (or anyone) on the scene.

dragon_051.png

Anyway that's all we need from the apartment for now. For a small extra, we will exit the apartment on the right side.

dragon_052.png

Nice view of the city, no? Clicking on the flimsy walkway will get Blade to issue a warning, clicking twice results in:

dragon_053.png

dragon_theend.png

Yep, anoter death-in-three-clicks. It sure didn't take the guys at Dynamix long to learn all the wily old ways of Sierra.

Anyway we reload and this time take the exit to the left.

dragon_054.png

Clicking on the top button takes us to the roof of the building. The reason for this scene's existence will become clear towards the end of the game (and no, probably not for the reason you think).

dragon_055.png

Clicking the lower button takes us to the game's transit system, the Em-Way.

dragon_056.png

Zooming on the panel displays all the locations that Blade knows about. The list will grow as the investigation proceeds.

dragon_057.png

For now, let's go to Karyn's and try to make up for missing a date.

dragon_058.png

Well, she did mention she would be working at the Bureau of Records, so let's go to City Hall and find her there.

dragon_059.png

dragon_060.png

First, let go have a quick look through that alley.

dragon_061.png

There are several things of importance here, but none that we can do anything with. For now, just note that the fence link is open. The significance of this will be clear later on.

Now let's go back and talk to the flower vendor.

dragon_062.png

Tbliss.png
We offer the finest selection of organically-grown flowers in the city.

Tbliss.png
My name is Blissful Harmony. You can call me Bliss.

Tbliss.png
How can I help you to find greater harmony in your life?

Tblade.png
I'm kind of in dutch with my girlfriend for missing a date, so...

Tbliss.png
I see. I thought I detected anxiety in your aura... It's quite orange.

Wait what? :?

Tbliss.png
May I suggest a bouquet of roses and a kind apology to your lady friend?

dragon_063.png

In most dialogs, you get to choose how the conversations proceeds at several points. In some cases this is purely for flavor, in others the consequences can be quite drastic (including getting into a dead end). Here, the top options are identical, but the first one leads to a slightly funnier exchange, so I'll take it. In all future dialogs I'll always highlight the option that I'm choosing, as in the screenshot.

Tbliss.png
Well, we have an El Cheapo brand arrangement of dandelions and ragweed...

Tblade.png
That's not quite what I had in mind. I guess I'll take a dozen roses.

Tbliss.png
An excellent choice, sir. I'm sure that these flowers will help you reforge the spiritual bond with your loved one.

Tbliss.png
Now if you will give me your card so I can charge your account...

Tblade.png
Uh... how much is this going to cost me?

Tbliss.png
Two hundred dollars, plus tax. But how can you put a price tag on love?

Tbliss.png
May I have your card, sir?

dragon_064.png

Now you get to see the inventory system in action. When NPC's request an item the game automatically opens the inventory for you, and you then need to drag the required object off the inventory (to close it) and onto the NPC. To make things easier I'll highlight the object I'm about to use in this manner.

dragon_065.png

Tbliss.png
May you attain happiness and spiritual fulfillment in this life-cycle.

Tbliss.png
Goodbye

Notice in the shot above the roses and card icons. This is where items go when you drop them. Leaving them there is NOT a good idea; when you come back, chances are they will be gone, and if this happens to an essential item, you're screwed. So, I'll pocket both of them.

dragon_066.png

Next we'll talk to the bum on the left side.

dragon_067.png

Tbum.png
We're all DOOOMED!

Tblade.png
Have you got a screw loose or what?

Tbum.png
Bahumat has risen again! I've seen him!

Tblade.png
What the hell are you talking about?

Tbum.png
Five thousand years he's waited...

Tblade.png
You've been drinking too much of that rotgut!

Tbum.png
We're all doomed! Doomed!

Asian version of Cleve?

dragon_068.png

We're done here, so we head into City Hall.

dragon_069.png

dragon_070.png

On the way into the Bureau of Records, we're stopped by the Mayor's secretary.

dragon_071.png

dragon_072.png

Tjenni.png
What are you wasting your time on that little bimbo for?

Tjenni.png
What you need, Blade, is a REAL woman...

Tjenni.png
like me, for instance!

Tjenni.png
One who could take you places you never dreamed possible...

dragon_073.png

Tjenni.png
Darn it! The good ones are always taken!

Tjenni.png
Well, if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me!

While I can hear commie fapping, don't be fooled; Jenni's a real bitch. If you accept her offer she will refuse to have anything more to do with you until you dump Karyn. If you do that, then she will refuse to have anything to do with you, claiming it's her perogative as a woman to change her mind. So we will ignore her and go talk to Karyn.

dragon_074.png

dragon_075.png

Uh-oh. She's really not happy.

Tkarynmad.png
I had a really special time sitting at home watching Rambo 12 in my brand-new evening dress!

dragon_076.png

Tkarynannoy.png
You'd better have a darn good excuse for standing me up, Blade!

dragon_077.png

Now here's the deal: you NEED to make up with Karyn to be able to proceed past a certain point in the investigation. However, you do not need the flowers to do so; if you don't have them, you get the option to just apologize to her. However, since we do have them, why not give them to her and make her happy?

dragon_078.png

dragon_079.png

Tkaryn.png
How about picking me up at 7:30 for dinner at L'Etoile?

dragon_080.png

Here's the real reason for the flowers: get Karyn out on another date. It doesn't change anything in the game but it does flesh out their characters a bit, so we will go for it.

Tkaryn.png
Great! It's a date then.

dragon_081.png

Tblade.png
Thanks, Karyn.

Tkaryn.png
You're welcome, Blade.

Tkaryn.png
Come back later if you need me to check out anything else for you.

Tkaryn.png
See you later.

dragon_082.png

With the keys in hand we head back to Blade's.

dragon_083.png

dragon_084.png

dragon_085.png

The card gets you back in. In case you happen to not have the card, you can use the valve on the top left, which releases some steam and leads to a short-circuit that opens the door. Getting into your own apartment illegaly would be a new low for a PI though, so we'll do it legit.

dragon_086.png

... which means: don't forget to take the card back!

dragon_087.png

Now that we have the keys we can finally open the cabinet.

dragon_088.png

dragon_089.png

All three items in there can be useful, but only two are essential.

dragon_090.png

dragon_091.png

dragon_092.png

You might've noticed there were four bombs in the cabinet. All four can be used, depending on how you approach some situations. Being hardcore, I will only take 2 of them and still solve all situations where the others could've been used.

dragon_093.png

It is now time to head to the Pleasure Dome and start looking into Chandra's death.

dragon_094.png

dragon_095.png

dragon_096.png

Tqwong.png
We must be ready in three days or the schedule will not be met!!

Ttech.png
We need more time! We're already pushing the end of the safety margin for the reactor coolant systems!

dragon_097.png

Tqwong.png
You will either meet the production schedule or face the wrath of Bahumat!

dragon_098.png

I will end this update on these ominous tidings.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I forgot the game had that hilariously retro "videophone".
But who knows, maybe Blade is a hipster.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
This game looks very cool and doesn't afraid of anybody. Hilarious toilet-level corny jokes in that manual there, and some really nice freedom of approach. The graphics in 'em older adventure games were awesome, with really great attention to detail (and nowadays we mostly get craptastic 3D with performance issues :decline: ).

Proceed, Bro-Sceptic. :smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I see Crooked Bee is as hardcore about death in games as Black Cat. Between one doing Uukrul and the other doing The Legacy, I'm starting to find women on the Codex quite scary... ;)

Anyway I'll try to have the next update up tomorrow, but I go kinda distracted. Screenshots are available for all but the endgame, but since I was trying to make ghostdog happy by including all death scenes I found out that one of them was not a game over and kept going with it, which threw my original planning in complete disarray.

SCO said:
I forgot the game had that hilariously retro "videophone".
But who knows, maybe Blade is a hipster.
Well there's another videophone in the game, and it looks much nicer than Blade's, so I think he just has an older model. Kinda like someone walking around with this because he can't afford a new cell phone.

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Some decent smug faces in there too.
The one for Blade is from quite late in the game, but I was having a hard time finding a portrait for him. I may change it for the next update and ask people to vote on which one they prefer.

PrzeSzkoda said:
some really nice freedom of approach.
It's one of the game's most interesting features IMO. There are a LOT of ways to do things, so many in fact that even after 20 years of playing and replaying this game I was surprised by discovering something I didn't know while making the LP.

The graphics in 'em older adventure games were awesome, with really great attention to detail
I think Rise in particular has too much detail, more than the VGA graphics can handle. Look at the map of LA when using the Em-Way; it's obvious the original painting has tons of detail for the individual buildings, but after scanning and downsizing to the game's resolution it becomes a mess of pixels. It makes me rage a bit because I can imagine how overwhelmingly awesome the graphics would be if the original paintings were rescanned at a higher resolution... but I'm sure the paintings were discarded two decades ago.

LusciousPear said:
Brother None said:
Looks good.
Excidium said:
Lookin' great. :thumbsup:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
This looks fucking awesome.
Thanks bros :love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY ONE, EVENING: BUSINESS BEFORE PLEASURE

dragon_099.png

Welcome to the Pleasure Dome, den of sin and depravity that would make any tranny's black little heart beat with anticipation. "Blade" Hunter, however, is neither a tranny nor here for the sin and depravity. He's here to investigate the mysterious death of the mayor's daughter...

dragon_100.png

At the door, we get greeted by these two charming-looking bouncers.

Tarreis.png
No guns allowed! Check 'em or get lost!

dragon_101.png

No matter what, you cannot bring weapons in. So we might as well check our gun in, right?

dragon_103.png

Tslen.png
Nice piece... Be a pity to lose it! You got anything else for us?

dragon_104.png

Tslen.png
Have a good time.

Baaaaaaaaaad move. If I go on, on my way out, this is what'll happen:

dragon_105.png

Tslen.png
You got a gun check ticket?

Tblade2.png
What are you talking about?

Tslen.png
When you turn in your weapons, you're supposed to get a claim ticket.

Tblade2.png
You guys must've forgotten to give me one.

Tslen.png
Sorry, buddy. No claim check, no gun!

And no, you can't ask for a claim ticket on your way in; the option just never shows up, and if you try to bug the bouncers they beat you up.

Tblade2.png
But I just gave my gun to you a few minutes ago!

Tslen.png
Lotta people come through this door, mister.

Tslen.png
You recognize him, Arreis?

Tarreis.png
Nope.

Tslen.png
Well then I guess you're outta luck, buddy.

dragon_106.png

Tslen.png
You want trouble buddy? You got it!

dragon_107.png

dragon_108.png

dragon_109.png

dragon_110.png

This doesn't give a game over, or even prevent you from re-enterting the Dome... but Blade has now permanently lost his gun, which makes it look like a dead end.

... except it's not. Thanks to the game's multiple paths and solutions, you don't need the gun (and in fact I will never get to use it). But, there is a way around the situation entirely: don't bring a weapon into the Dome. Now, just dropping it is not a good idea; items dropped anywhere WILL vanish if you leave and come back. There is, however, one safe place to store items: Blade's apartment.

dragon_111.png

So we restore the save I made just before going into the Pleasure Dome, go back to the apartment and drop the gun where we got it in the first place, then make our way back to the Dome.

dragon_112.png

Tarreis.png
No weapons detected.

Tslen.png
You're clean. Go on in.

dragon_113.png

And we're in.

Now I said I wasn't going to show descriptions, but this one is too Codexian to skip:

dragon_114.png

Anyway we need to find The Jake. Let's start by talking to the guy with the cap.

dragon_115.png

Not very friendly. Well maybe his neighbor will be more receptive.

dragon_116.png

I guess we've got to try the tranny then...

dragon_117.png

Tdarcelle.png
Yes?

Tblade.png
My name is William Hunter...

Tdarcelle.png
People call me Darcelle, William.

Txamphir.png
I bet 75, FU.

Tfubar.png
You're bluffing your ass off, Xamp!

Tfubar.png
Call.

Tdarcelle.png
Just ignore them...

Tdarcelle.png
Now what do you want?

dragon_118.png

Tfubar.png
Hurry up and discard, Darce!

Tdarcelle.png
Shush, Fu. You're being rude.

Tdarcelle.png
I'm sorry, I haven't seen that person, William.

Tdarcelle.png
Why don't you try the bar?

Tdarcelle.png
Perhaps there is someone who can help you there.

Tdarcelle.png
Now if you will excuse me, I must get back to relieving these gentlemen of their excess credits.

Tdarcelle.png
Goodbye, William.

Well, that didn't go too badly. Let's follow her advice.

dragon_119.png

dragon_120.png

There's a bunch of people we can talk to here, so let's do the rounds.

dragon_121.png

Tblade.png
I'm not a police officer.

dragon_122.png

Tblade.png
I'm a private investigator. And the name's not "dude". It's Blade.

Thippygrin.png
Sorry, dude... I mean, Blade.

Thippygrin.png
People around here call me Casey Jones.

Thippygrin.png
What can I do ya for?

dragon_123.png

Thippygrin.png
What were we talkin' about?

Yeah, he's pretty stoned.

dragon_124.png

Thippygrin.png
Sure, man! Me an' The Jake, we're like, real tight!

Thippy.png
Can't quite remember what he looks like, though.

Thippy.png
Oh well. Ask around. If he's here I'm sure you'll run into him eventually.

Thippy.png
If he wants you to, that is.

Tblade.png
Thanks for the info.

Thippygrin.png
No problemo! See you around, dude... I mean, man... I mean, Blade!

Yeah, that was terribly helpful.

Anyway, let's save the game (hint hint) then move on to the woman behind him.

dragon_125.png

Tcandi.png
Looking for a good time, big guy?

dragon_126.png

This one's for you ghostdog.

dragon_127.png

dragon_128.png

Tcandigrin.png
My, my! What a wit you are, Blade!

Tcandigrin.png
Shall we go, then...?

dragon_129.png

Kinky...

dragon_130.png

dragon_131.png

dragon_132.png

Oops.

dragon_133.png

dragon_134.png

dragon_135.png

He's not kidding by the way. While you can pull this off past a certain point with no major repercussions, at this point I've just us into a dead end. So, restore-a-game we go.

dragon_136.png

This time let's pick a more... conservative approach.

dragon_137.png

Tcandigrin.png
And it looks like business is picking up!

Tblade.png
Not monkey business. I mean serious business!

Tcandigrin.png
I'm totally serious. And I mean business!

Tcandigrin.png
Why don't you come home with me?

dragon_138.png

Tcandigrin.png
I've never heard of him...

Tcandigrin.png
Maybe you should ask Mujalambo. He knows everyone who comes in here.

Tblade.png
Mujalambo?

Tcandigrin.png
The bartender, silly!

Tcandigrin.png
Now run along. You're monopolizing the merchandise, if you know what I mean!

So, let's follow the lead.

dragon_139.png

Tblade.png
Who you callin' wimp, you rhinocerous?

dragon_140.png

dragon_141.png

Tmujalambo.png
We don' serve cops on my bar, buddy!

Tblade.png
I'm not a police officer anymore.

Tmujalambo.png
Don' matta! Ya still smell like a pig, mon!

dragon_142.png

Tmujalambo.png
Mebbe I have, an mebbe I haven't. What's it to ya?

Tblade.png
I have some business with him.

Tmujalambo.png
Like hell!

Tblade.png
I'm sure he'll want to hear what I have to say.

Tmujalambo.png
I don' think he'll care to listen to anythin' ya tell him...

Tmujalambo.png
But if ya wanta find him, ask the guy in th' green coat at th' end o' me bar.

None of this was essential by the way, we could've done this as soon as we walked into the bar, but why skip all the lulzy conversations?

dragon_143.png

dragon_144.png

This guy, on the other hand, can help us. Pissing him off is not a good idea, so no insults.

Tjake.png
Yeah? What you want him for? You look mighty uptown to this scrub boy!

dragon_145.png

Tjake.png
Information! You got some "hardware" to cover such requests?

The inventory screen automatically pops up at this point. Now, what kind of hardware could he be looking for? Remember the description of the chocolate bar, that said it was highly prized on the black market?

dragon_146.png

dragon_147.png

Tjakehappy.png
You want The Jake? You got him, in person. What can I do for ya?

dragon_148.png

Once again this conversation has to be carefully maneuvred. Getting straight to the point without stupid word games does the trick.

Tjakehappy.png
Ha! Chandi's always in trouble! What about her?

dragon_149.png

Tjakehappy.png
You're crazy! Get outta my sight!

At this point the inventory doesn't open automatically, but what to do should be obvious. He won't believe Chandra's dead... but we have proof don't we?

dragon_150.png

So let's show him the photo.

dragon_151.png

Tjakeshock.png
In my office!

dragon_152.png

dragon_153.png

Tjakeshock.png
Chandi thought it up...

Tjakeshock.png
Holy mother... what happened to her?! I mean, what could have done this?!

Tjakeshock.png
She was...

dragon_154.png

dragon_155.png

dragon_156.png

Tjake.png
Nobody... never heard of him!

The next bit is a little tricky. If you push The Jake too hard he'll just tell you to piss off, and if you don't press him at all he won't tell you anything. Playing on his sense of guilt and brewing up a desire for vengeance is the way to go.

dragon_157.png

dragon_158.png

Tjakeshock.png
Dammit! What the hell did this to her??

dragon_159.png

Tjakeshock.png
'Cause I'm a coward.

Tjakeshock.png
Look, you think I WANTED this to happen?

Tjakeshock.png
She was my only friend.

dragon_160.png

Tjake.png
OK... I'll help you.

Tjake.png
But you never heard this from The Jake!

Tjake.png
Chandi was hangin' out with a guy named Chen.

dragon_161.png

Bingo.

Tjake.png
I'll be around, you need anything else.

dragon_162.png

Well, we got what we needed, the name of the guy Chandi was hanging out with, and his address. He's obviously the next person to interrogate.

dragon_163.png

But first, let's go back home and pick up the gun we left there.

dragon_164.png

Tblade2.png
Damn! I wish I didn't have this case right now, but a lot more people may be hurt if I don't catch the slimes who offed Chandra!

Tblade2.png
And I can sure use the money the mayor's payin' me.

Tblade2.png
On the other hand...

Tblade2.png
If I skip out on Karyn this time, she'll probably never speak to me again!

Tblade2.png
I don't want to get her pissed at me, and I've been, maybe, just a LITTLE inconsiderate lately...

Tblade2.png
What should I do?

dragon_165.png

As I said, at this point we NEED Karyn to be on good terms with Blade, so skipping the date is out of the question. What I will do, however, is let some more time pass, which in the end will result in the same outcome as going right now, with the addition of a couple of funny lines.

dragon_166.png

dragon_167.png

Let's go for a night of romance!

dragon_168.png

Tkaryn.png
I'm impressed, Blade. You're even on time!

Tblade2.png
I thought I was late...

Tblade.png
How could I be late with you waiting?!

dragon_169.png

Tkaryn.png
To us!

dragon_170.png

Tkarynannoy.png
He would have to order the liver and onion special!

dragon_171.png

dragon_172.png

dragon_173.png

dragon_174.png

dragon_175.png

Tblade2.png
I mean, yeah, me too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What, no Huba-Huba screenshot ? I am disappoint. :rpgcodex:

Anyway, great job so far :thumbsup:

This game will provide some awesome avatars.

Breaking Axe

Educated
I had some laughs and will be following this. Please keep going!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom