Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combatless RPGs.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Where are them?

2jdqqyw.gif

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The type of people who like RPG mechanics are usually the same type of people who like plots that involve violence of some sort.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But adventure games (usually) don't have anything resembling a rulesystem, therefore aren't RPGs.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Why isn't there adventure games with stats and loot? Why are adventure games made of inane puzzles and pixel hunts?

Because rpgs are wargames about stats and loot

:troll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
but adventure games has inventory and romance.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Excidium said:
But adventure games (usually) don't have anything resembling a rulesystem, therefore aren't RPGs.
What if you made a complex rulesystem for a non-combat game then (based on stats, etc.)?

Lightknight

Liturgist
Ultima Online. Or any other sufficiently complex MMO, especially MUDs. Go be a baker for the rest of your life.

Relay

Educated
RPGs = wargames where you control a small band of adventurers that gains experience. A RPG without combat at all would be called a visual novel, a genre only popular in japan. They are not like adventure games in that many feature meaningful C&C and they aren't based on nonsensical puzzles, exactly what you want if you're yearning for combatless rpgs. But since they're made in japan it comes with unwanted animu characters and stories.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A combat less RPG is certainly possible, but would probably have trouble finding a market. The developers should also be careful not to make the lack of violent options seem like an artificial constraint, and in most significant conflicts someone would see violence as a possibility.

And no, neither adventure games nor visual novels are combat-less RPGs.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Bloodbowl kind of makes me think an RPG without combat is possible, as long as it is about sports.

kaizoku

Arcane
Excidium said:
Well, it's pretty hard to go on an adventure without getting into a fight.
There should be an evade skill that would allow you to escape and run faster :smug:

Mangoose said:
Excidium said:
What if you made a complex rulesystem for a non-combat game then (based on stats, etc.)?
I'd like to see that.

deuxhero said:
You can do pretty well in some of the Way of the Samurai games without fighting.
That game looks really good. Console for the :incline: !

msxyz

Augur
A combat-less RPG would be possible, even using a rule system.

If all interactions within the game world are checked against a character build (not only dialogue lines and influence with other NPCs but -for example- finding an alternate use for objects [INT] or using them in certain way dictated by physical prowess [STR]) that game would be an RPG by every account.

Unfortunately average PC game consumers want games with fighting because they're grown up with forms of entertainment (games, movies, etc...) that contains, in one way or another, hard confrontation with their peers.

So, from a technical point of view an RPGs with strict stat driven mechanics are possible but they would be a commercial failure.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
You can clear Quest for Glory I without ever getting into a fight, so maybe it counts. I do not know if that's possible in the sequels, though.

Also, there's Academagia, as someone mentioned, and Magical Diary, a similar but way less complex game.

And there's Daughter of the Serpent, kind of an adventure and role playing game hybrid.

Edit:

I forgot. There's The Guild and The Guild 2.

And maybe The Sims Medieval.

:M

spectre

Arcane
I forgot. There's The Guild and The Guild 2.
With rogues around, how's that combat-less?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom