Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's face the horrors of Myth Drannor.

Black Cat

Magister
936full-pool-of-radiance%3A-ruins-of-myth-drannor-cover.jpg

(yeah, I stole it. Sue me.)

I always wanted to play Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. While some people have told me it's, like, totally awful, others have said it's good for what it is or, even, good, though not great, if you are looking for that which it does right and do not care too much for that which it does wrong. That one does sound a lot like good for what it is, however.

In any case all the arguments given by the second and third group did press all the right buttons on me and I decided to gave it a chance. Some time ago I did download it and try it for a while and I actually did enjoy myself quite a bit, but I left it by because I thought it would be fun to do a Let's Play thingie of it once I had the time. It seems now I do have it, much to my chagrin, so, like, what the hell. Let's do this! And stuffies.

As you may guess this will be a blind Let's Play thingie. Also, this doesn't means I have left on hold, nor abandoned, the Yo Jin Bo one. We are not that far from being done with it so I will be updating, like, sometimes this one and sometimes that one, or somethingie. Plans are for the weak.

In any case I will be creating only one character, a sorceress. All other characters will, naturally, be created by you guys and gals. And I mean, like, totally: I will not pick anything for you, and I will ask you when I'm undecided between several pieces of equipment or something. The game, however, doesn't give a lot of customization so, like, meh and stuffies. This isn't Temple of Elemental Evil or anything like that: The game also auto-selects the, uhm, thingies you get on level up. Uhm, the... Feats, are they called? Anyway, and the choices are pretty awful I believe. If there's a way or mod or savegame editor that allows you to change that, like, tell me. Then you'll also be able to pick your feats and stuffies.

That aside there is one house rule about the characters you create. Or, like, two, actually. In first place I will only be acepting elves. No dwarves, no humans, no gnomes, nor anything other than elves. Not even half-elves. Just elves. In second place only those elves with at least 14 Charisma will be accepted, so try to pick classes that benefit from charisma. Also, both the NPC slots will be filled with nothing but, you guessed it, elves. I don't party with the unsightly lesser races. :obviously:

The game allows for Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers, Sorcerers, Rogues, Clerics, Paladins, and Monks. Elves can be of any of them, because they are awesome and have pointy ears. All alignments can be taken, or something. Who cares about alignment?

The important stuff now: You have 25 characters points to buy stuffies. You know the drilly drill by now: Strenght, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. The game will automatically buy you the basic pointy points you need for your class, so if you are, like, a sorceress you will have Charisma 14 instead of Charisma 8 and only 19 character points to spend. You can, however, buy down thingies from 8, the basic value, to a minimun of 3, so there's some min-maxing potential if you want to, say, buy strenght down to 3 for your sorcerer or something. Remember elves get +2 Dex and -2 Con.

Ah, yes, and the prices are 1 character point from 3 to 14, 2 character points from 15 to 16, and 3 character points from 17 to 18.

Also, plan with multiclassing in mind. No class can have a level higher than 20 and I believe characters can finish the game with level 20 in one class and 15 to 17 on another. With that in mind remember the favored class of elves are sorcerers.

Finally, take your time to create the characters and stuffies. From saturday on I will be claimed for a coupled of days so we are probably going to start next week.

Only three characters will be picked, however. The party has four slots plus another two for NPCs, kind of like in Eye of the Beholder. I may pick you guys randomly, or the first three ones to come in, or just the three characters I like the most, or any combination of stuffies and thingies.

And now clicky click here to watch the intro.

Edit: Because nekos fail at math. T_T

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Garf the cleric/ranger (pick both classes equally)
Chaotic good

STR 10
DEX 19
CON 10
INT 3
WIS 18
CHA 14

I can't be arsed to calculate the points, aim for those stats and drop DEX down if required. Arm with a bow and enjoy both cleric and druid spells. You won't get multi-class XP penalty if you keep them 1-level from each other.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wanna be an Elf Paladin/Sorceress named Bee the Crooked, can I? :oops: Too tired to be calculating the stats, though, so I doubt my character has any chances of making it in.

Anyway, good luck.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Good Doggy
Barbarian (to be rogued)
chaotic neutral
STR 16
DEX 18
CON 10
INT 8
WIS 3
CHA 14

sporting a BIG FALLIC SWORD

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't that game that was so badly programmed that could fuck up your computer if you tried to uninstall it?

Also, elves? :decline:

Still, good thing you're doing another lp, as long as you don't abandon it of course :M

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sergiu64 said:
God that game was painful to play... you're a brave woman Black Cat.

This.

I see you truly try to prove Codexian time honoured creed - "sanity is for the weak", and all thingies and stuffies and nya. Good luck then. :salute:

Btw, I knew I'd quickly get tired of that visual novel thingie.

Black Cat

Magister
@ GarfunkeL

The best I can get with the points the game gives is STR:10, DEX:12, CON:10, INT:03, WIS:18, CHA:14. Given WIS:17 and WIS:18 cost 3 points each, however, we can easily do DEX:18, INT:03, WIS:16, CHA:14, and then either STR:08 and CON:10 or STR:10 and CON:08, and then raise WIS to 18 with the first two of the extra points we get every fourth level. Is that okay with you?

@ Miss Bee

Sure. I'll reserve you the last spot, then.

:love:

@ Hoverdog

You did calculate the points!

@ Lightbane

As far as I know the story about the game killing your system when you tried to uninstall it is kind of an urban myth. It did happen, yes, but only in computers using some Norton thingie I do not remember the name of. I believe there was a pretty good explanation about it on some RPG forum or another.

Also, elves are cool and awesome. :obviously:

@ Mrowak
@ Sergiu64

You two really know how to motivate a girl. :P

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I always wanted to try this game when I was younger, but the horror story of uninstalling your OS is one of those that I prefer not to risk.

Good luck! I wanna be a dwarf rogue who pick locks!

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
RK47 said:
I always wanted to try this game when I was younger, but the horror story of uninstalling your OS is one of those that I prefer not to risk.

Good luck! I wanna be a dwarf rogue who pick locks!

Yeah, from what I've heard this game was pretty much malware when it first came out.

But anyway, I volunteer. If you want me in just roll a powergamed necromancer.

Erebus

Arcane
Playing PoR 2 was a truly painful, boring and frustrating experience. I wish you luck, but I'll be amazed if this LP gets past the first dungeon (I certainly didn't).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ramon Trouvier

Sorcerer/ rogue
chaotic neutral
STR 10
DEX 14
CON 8
INT 12
WIS 11
CHA 14

:salute:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Glorfin the MAD, Elven Barbarian-Fighter-Paladin (3 levels fighter if its 3ED, otherwise screw fighter completely, 3 levels Paladin, mix however you like)

STR 18 (+16)
CON 14 (-2 natural,+8)
DEX 12 (+2 natural)
INT 4 (-4)
WIS 7 (-1)
CHA 14 (+6)

Full plate wearing guy with the biggest weapon you can find.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Malakal

The best I can do is STR:18, DEX:12, CON:12, CHA:14, and either INT:04 and WIS:07 or INT:03 and WIS:08. Is that alright? You'll also have to drop either Paladin or Barbarian, as Paladin can only be Lawful Good and Barbarian can't be Lawful.

... Oh, I see. So that's what alignment was implemented for.

@ Kz3r0

With those points you gave you still have four free points. You can raise CHA to 16 or something.

@ RK47

A locksmithing dwarf?

Black Cat said:
That aside there is one house rule about the characters you create. Or, like, two, actually. In first place I will only be acepting elves. No dwarves, no humans, no gnomes, nor anything other than elves. Not even half-elves. Just elves. In second place only those elves with at least 14 Charisma will be accepted, so try to pick classes that benefit from charisma. Also, both the NPC slots will be filled with nothing but, you guessed it, elves. I don't party with the unsightly lesser races. :obviously:

I'm very sorry but the firstborn will show the world how world saving is actually done by those who know how to do it, all the while looking awesome and, like, totally gorgeus. It's elven time. :obviously:

*Scribbles down an elven Rogue / Ranger*

@ JagreenLern

For some weird reason (don't ask me why) the game only has Sorcerers, no Wizards nor Specialized Wizards. Also, the Clerics are a weird combination of Cleric and Favored Soul, which makes it look like they forgot to add memorization to the game engine and didn't notice until much later.

-_-U

The lack of druids, however, is unforgivable. :(

@ Erebus

I will not jinx me so, like, maybe it will and maybe not. However, the dungeons are one of the thingies that drew me here. Like, the voices told me they are huge and they have lots of secrets and stuffies, and even puzzles. Puzzles!

@ The Thin Man

A straight cleric as in, like, single class min-maxed cleric or, like, a non elven one? This being KKKodex i'm not sure which one to take.

@ Spekkio

You are so grumpy!

Harsk.jpg

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sorry for the mistake, here how I have assigned the other four point:

Ramon Trouvier

Sorcerer/ rogue
chaotic neutral
STR 10
DEX 14
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 15

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well shit, those old limiting ways of DnD multiclassing. Go for Paladin/Fighter then, more fighter than paladin and drop wis to 7.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually just drop STR to 16 and pump INT to 8 and WIS to 8. 18 STR isnt really worth those 6 points anyway.

The Thin Man

Novice
Elven single class min-maxed please. If possible I would like my deity to be Sehanine Moonbow.

I was always partial to that clumsy companion from Neverwinter.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The Thin Man said:
Elven single class min-maxed please. If possible I would like my deity to be Sehanine Moonbow.

I was always partial to that clumsy companion from Neverwinter.
Linu_Laneral.jpg

I never managed to succesfully complete her romance :x

The Thin Man

Novice
abnaxus said:
Linu_Laneral.jpg

I never managed to succesfully complete her romance :x
Yeah! I didn't remember her looking like the actress who played Morticia in the Adams Family movies though.

However I did manage to complete her romance, although I faintly remember it being somewhat chaste either way.

Cassidy

Arcane
I will only be acepting elves

:rpgcodex:

Jacques Diderot, Chaotic Neutral Rogue Wizard(Mix whichever way you like)

STR 10
CON 12
DEX 16
INT 16
WIS 3*
CHA 14

*Almost certain fail against all fear/frighten checks. I went with a frog name for a reason besides the fact I dislike elves.

This will be wonderful in those demon-infested ruins.

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom