Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

baronjohn

Cipher
except graphically.

Yeah, there, I said it. Skyrim fucking sucks. The story sucks, the quests suck, the gameplay sucks, the dialogues suck, the voice acting sucks, the rpg elements... are non-existent, but it sure looks nice.

I was doing the mage quests, and I can't help but compare it to Morrowind. Remember how the mage guild was down to earth in Morrowind? Remember how they had a normal looking building in the city? Remember how they started you out on really mundane tasks aimed at familiarizing you with your environment? Remember how you advanced through the ranks, and the ranks actually had requirements that made you sure you were an actual mage? Remember how the high level missions were mostly political?

Well, fuck all that. That's not MAJESTIC enough. I can see the bethpizda meeting now. "We want something that kids who don't have enough of an attention span to watch Harry Potter movies will enjoy."

And oh god are the mages in Skyrim MAJESTIC. They live on a GIANT ROCK, where the college is made out of GIANT STONE, like everything else in Skyrim. The hall are HUGE, even though there's nothing in them. The only way into a college is through a decrepit walkway over a CHASM OF DEATH, even though this is absolutely the only way to and from there. The place is littered with MYSTERIOUS POOLS OF MANA and KICKASS EPIC LASERS BEAMS INTO THE SKY. The missions ARE MAJESTIC!!!!! The second mission has you SAVING THE WORLD, and fighting EPIC UNDEAD. In the middle of the second mission you're contacted by a MAJESTIC SECRET MAGE ORDER LONG PRESUMED DEAD BUT REALLY OPERATING IN THE SHADOWS WIELDING MORE POWER THAN ANY IMAGINE, AND THEY WANT YOU!!!

EPIC!!!

This whole game is EPIC. If by epic we agree to mean shit.

attackfighter

Magister
yeah it's pretty dumb, I don't even have the willpower to bother speaking with people in the game world, much less accepting quests from them. So far all I've done was go through the boring intro and walk around a bit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Easily. If you weren't a dumb newfag who came to the Codex, saw other newfags constantly going "Oblivion sucks ololo" to get KKKs you would know that Oblivion has a lot of stuff that is superior to Skyrim.

Starting with Zodiac signs adding bonuses and penalties to characters and ending with a much bigger world and non-linear dungeons

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The dungeons in Oblivion were terrible, procedurally generated crap.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh here comes another newfag trying to get KKKs.

There was not a single procedurally generated dungeon in Oblivion but keep repeating that Hines's (who is dumb ololo) crap about "every dungeon in Skyrim is handcrafted" like they weren't in previous Beth games.

Skyrim fucking sucks. The story sucks, the quests suck, the gameplay sucks, the dialogues suck, the voice acting sucks, the rpg elements... are non-existent, but it sure looks nice.

no and you are a moron

vo better in oblivion? :lol: :lol: :lol:

this

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Err... no. It's a much better game than Oblivion.

I loved Morrowind but found Oblivion banal.shit..boring. Skyrim (so far) is somewhere in between.

The world itself is a massive incline over Oblivion, exploration is actually fun and the dungeon crawling has been excellent. No obvious level scaling either.

Only about 20hrs in (I'd uninstalled Oblivion by this point), but I'm having fun and the desire to continue is strong....

Edit: Fuck, there goes my KKK quota for the month.... :(

Black

Arcane
Based on the amount of threads it's getting here one could safely assume it's the best rpg ever.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Compared to Oblivion : a very big improvement, imo.

Compared to Dark Souls : Are you even tryin', Skyrim?

waywardOne

Arcane
Metro said:

You do not know what this term means and look like a fucking moron.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
hoverdog said:
but how can anything be worse than oblivion? :retarded:
Rule: no matter how much a thing sucks, there will in time come a thing that will outsuck it in every way.

Goodnight, I have a hangover.

relootz

Scholar
waiting for the codex consensus whether it is worth it play to play it or not.

... and then probably i won't even play it anyway.

Still haven't touched new vegas and deus ex 3

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
commie said:
Diablo1_reborn said:
Compared to Oblivion : a very big improvement, imo.

Compared to Dark Souls : Are you even tryin', Skyrim?

Derp Souls is only on consoles so Skyrim is actually an 'improvement' of sorts. Or is it?

Then please interpret my post as a "no OP, I actually find it much better than Oblivion" post.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
baronjohn said:
except graphically.
They removed crashes.

You'd need properly play with GFX settings to see proper GFX. They completely screwed up autoselect.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Easily. If you weren't a dumb newfag who came to the Codex, saw other newfags constantly going "Oblivion sucks ololo" to get KKKs you would know that Oblivion has a lot of stuff that is superior to Skyrim.

Starting with Zodiac signs adding bonuses and penalties to characters and ending with a much bigger world and non-linear dungeons

You keep repeating that, but...

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Birthsigns

3 of 13 birthsigns had penalties. :M

pocahaunted

Arcane
The game is truly shitty.

-The UI is garbage, one of the worst cases of consolitis.
-Quests are fucking terrible, boring fedex shit.
-Every single location feels empty and artificial.
-Every dungeon is linear, with only a few mind numbingly dull "puzzles".
-The plot is just a derivative piece of shit, the usual rehashed chosen one bullshit.
-Character progression is just terrible, leveling up has almost no effect.
-The engine is terrible, again, same goes for the shitty, circa late 90s/early 3D style animations which makes the combat unbearable.

This list goes on.

Thank fuck I own a keyboard with around 104 keys, but I can only use 2 different attacks at a time without having to go through a disgusting consolitis ridden menu. Truly disgusting, I just can't understand why "PC gamers" keep salivating all over this shit as if it were the second coming of Christ. Who in their right mind enjoys playing shitty console ports with their repugnant UIs?

ThunderHorse

Novice
Lol @ "regulars" on this site who automatically discount the opinions of people who don't live on it. Oblivion was watered down, dull, and mediocre. It was sterile and lacked immersion, depth, and variance. Skyrim is far, far better. The graphics are excellent (if you have a good rig), the atmosphere is bleak and has a very somber and dark mood. The combat is far more weighty. The towns feel much more alive. Bards are playing and people are chatting. Smiths are smithing and whatever. Yes, the UI sucks. Yes the fact that they got rid of stats sucks. It's still a great game.

Seriously, this site seems to be full of elitist people who take pride in disliking anything mainstream despite it's quality. Same as people who dislike bands because they're popular. Those kids have no idea what music is about. As I said. go load wizardry 1 on an emulator and stop crying. Skyrim is a good game. Now rage and insult me because I haven't posted here much even though I'm typing the truth. My props go out to Bethesda for taking time to actually create an immersive environment.

Black

Arcane
ThunderHorse said:
the atmosphere is bleak
lol @ you not knowing the difference between "bleak" and "bland".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom