Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by AMG

1. Codex Preview RPG Codex Preview: Knights of the Chalice 2 - Augury of Chaos

Game systems are not divorced from the content they interact with, you can't master one without the other. Not in any kind of tactics/strategy game at least, and definitely not in an RPG, where gear and character choices are half the game. In an action game mastery of mechanical elements might...
  2. Codex Preview RPG Codex Preview: Knights of the Chalice 2 - Augury of Chaos

This is probably also the one case when replacing all the art with anime would actually be an improvement. Match made in heaven!
  3. Indie turn-based RPG survey - help out an indie dev

Go for card based combat. That way you will end up on RPG Codex GOTY podium.
  4. Why don't most RPGs understand that people lie?

I don't think getting locked out of quest paths because of dialogue choices is prevalent in cRPGs, seems like a false premise to me.
  5. Mainframe Defenders - mech tactics with 80s visuals

I don't have problem with simple graphics, if done competently I even tend to prefer them these days over the AAA million polygon vapid vistas. That said the effect used here that's supposed to imitate old displays or something looks really obnoxious to me. Hopefully it can be turned off. Also...
  6. Why codex dislikes balance

It's just a meme about Sawyer's shitty attribute design for Pillows. All explanations are just post-rationalizations of the fact that around here the word 'balance' is now automatically associated with that game and developer.
  7. Stormgate - sci-fi/fantasy RTS from ex-Blizzard devs

Starcraft was good because it had great unit design (both mechanics and flavour) and 3 truly unique factions (which wasn't the norm back then). You can admire your realistic ballistics, elevation, massive armies and whatever you want, but when everything in your game is some variant of generic...
  8. Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

You need to use the mod kit to decrypt and decompile the game's .cnut files, that said every mod I've seen comes in decompiled form (I guess mod hooks takes care of loading them or the game doesn't care), so you should be able to edit it in notepad no problem (they are .nut files not .cnut).
  9. Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

As for bows, I also started doubting their usefulness as of late, did they increase RDEF on everything in some patch? I remember hitchances being better but maybe I'm wrong. I build my archers as hybrids anyway, but they never seem to do much with their bows against anything that's not goblins...
  10. Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

vazha Unzip the mod, open the scenario file in text editor (it will be in scenarios folder) and change this line to whatever you want. Zip it back up and that's it. You can also make some other trival adjustments if you want, most of it is pretty self explanatory even if you never seen program...
  11. Preview Baldur's Gate 3 screenshots accidentally leaked, appears to be isometric and turn-based

Looks like by accident you posted D:OS 3 screenshots instead. Pls fix.
  12. Ripped off RPG music?

The sound is not from TES, it's from a popular stock sound library. 99% of time if you hear a familiar sound, it's a stock sound, not stolen.
  13. Ripped off RPG music?

This is a little bullshit by the way. Big part of HoMM4 Adventure map music is from a stock celt music library that was put into the game with barely any rearranging done. HoMM composer got even threatened with lawsuit some time ago, because some guy pointed this fact out to the library owner 20...
  14. Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

System Shock remake is officially confirmed to be shit. Well, not like there were many doubts about it, but it's good to have it in the open
  15. Game News Together in Battle is the next deterministic strategy RPG from Sinister Design

I haven't played your game, so those are just my unsolicited thoughts from looking at screenshots, but I think your tileset art is responsible for the "looks like RPGMaker" impressions. The maps look very empty, flat and monotone and since the majority of the screen real estate is occupied by...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom