Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Arulan

1. Arulan

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Disagree. It's a fun and memorable moment. Not everything has to be serious all the time, and it already fits well with Raphael. I've talked to a few people about this moment, and the common reaction seems to be: Oh shit, what have I gotten myself into, he's singing his own boss theme. It's...
  2. Arulan

Traditional vs. weird settings

As always, it comes down to the skill of the writers, the world-building, the attention to detail, and so forth. That said, in practice I feel like weird settings strike a cord a lot more often with me. Perhaps it's because it forces a certain level of creativity into creating something new and...
  3. Arulan

Elder Scrolls Why Morrowind is a bad RPG

IIRC there is GUI scaling built into OpenMW. I'm not sure if that applies to fonts as well, but you can also change their size independently: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/modding/font.html
  4. Arulan

Weapon and shield, One two-handed weapon, or dual-wielded weapons?

Dual wielding is just the worst. It often comes off as unhinged power fantasy. Not only that, but even for real-time action RPGs it's rarely anything more than left-click. My preferences differ greatly by the game. I do really enjoy spears when they're available, but otherwise it has more to do...
  5. Arulan

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

A CRPG winning GOTY at the TGAs, in a year such as this one no less is incredible to see. Swen fucking did it.
  6. Arulan

Incline What can be done about excessive loot?

I'm not sure why we're using reality as a basis for which systems should be necessary in RPG design. While I believe a careful selection of reality-inspired systems can sometimes add to the experience, it's not absolute. I don't need to sharpen my blades in every RPG I play, nor watch what I eat...
  7. Arulan

Incline What can be done about excessive loot?

Abstraction is the simple answer to cut down on excessive quantities of loot. We already commonly abstract numerous other aspects of the world simulation, from combat, dialogue, and various other interactions. Why not which items we deem important as well? You could even rationalize it in-game...
  8. Arulan

Fallout Returning to Fallout

The build up to it was handled very well. I remember stock-piling Rad-X and RadAway -- I didn't know how much I'd actually need. The use of the Geiger counter. The rumors you hear about it throughout the wasteland. The shock by one of the Brotherhood guards that they'd send me down there. And...
  9. Arulan

RPGs with spear combat

The spear in Fallout 1 & 2 was useful as an early-game melee weapon that you could also throw, but as already mentioned not much otherwise. Agreed. Standing on rocks poking mudcrabs never gets old. Some games struggle with differentiating their melee weapons in meaningful ways, and it's a...
  10. Arulan

I agree, the sudden ask of the Overseer to with seemingly limited information was a little jarring. There are certainly shortcomings to be found. Some side quests were never finished, lacking in some obvious solutions or post-resolution reactivity . I feel there could be more variety in the...
  11. Arulan

The most important question, of course! I played it at 960x540 this time to integer scale into 4K, but 480p is acceptable as well.
  12. Arulan

After a few years hiatus it was time to return to Fallout. Just thought I'd create a thread here for my musings. Among the many things Fallout does so well, one that I don't hear often enough is the organic nature in which you begin to discover what's going on in your corner of the wasteland...
  13. Arulan

Crispy™ Best Soundtracks in RPGs

I see it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I really enjoyed Kenshi's OST. It's mostly a lot of ambient music that fits in well with the desolate landscapes, and the occasional climax of emotion.
  14. Arulan

Little details in RPGs that please you

When NPCs talk about something happening at a specific time in the future or implying the time-sensitive nature of a task that they actually mean it. For example delivering your father's ale or various NPC meetups in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It really breaks your belief in the world when we...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom