Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by attackfighter

1. attackfighter

Why do modern RPGs have 0% soul?

My guess is that smaller workforces allowed individual personalities to seep through and also that the looser, more chaotic work environments they had back then led to greater degrees of spontaneity and, indeed, silliness. A lot of what gives games like Fallout 1/2 and BG1 so much heart or charm...
  2. attackfighter

4X The Unsurpassed Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri thread

Yeah, I think they become angrier the closer together they are. Whenever I spawn close to other factions I have my hands full not only trying to expand into the minimal space available but also dealing with their extreme vehemence. But when I spawn alone, I get to expand at my leisure AND...
  3. attackfighter

I usually manually control a few formers for building roadways while the rest go on auto. It seems like a good investment to start getting rover formers early on, as Thinker's AI, though much better than vanilla, will still waste a lot of time randomly running around. They will spam forests...
  4. attackfighter

I like to decrease base numbers by making the minimum space between bases three tiles rather than Thinker's default two. I'm not sure what all the nuances are in how it affects gameplay, but it feels better to me.
  5. attackfighter

I'm also playing the Thinker Mod. I've done numerous playthroughs, but am currently playing as Datajack Roze. She starts with Planned economics available. I implemented it as soon as I could afford it, and it seems particularly useful at the start for spamming colony pods. Even bases with...
  6. attackfighter

CKII is released.

Thoughts on difficulty in CK2: My most recent game had me go for two achievements successively: ten thrones and legend of the Indo-Norse. I did the first achievement the fun way and started as a Norse duke, went on a continuous conquering spree and released all of the kingdoms I captured with...
  7. attackfighter

Fallout What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

It's been a while since I played it, but the main character could be motivated by curiosity or vengeance at the start and then later by their ideals in relation to the broader political struggle going on after finding Benny. Often, heroes in action stories are primarily motivated by their...
  8. attackfighter

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Nah, a decent province could support > 10k soldiers easily. It's just that, once all the food was pillaged... all the food would be pillaged, so maintaining an army in the same place for a really long time would be nonviable without supply routes. The proper mechanic would be one in which supply...
  9. attackfighter

French court rules Steam should allow resale of digital games, Valve will appeal

taxalot It is said of the French economy that it works in practice and not in theory, so, given precedents, whatever they do will likely miraculously work out. And hell, I'd trade Canada for France any day. And there is, furthermore, the island of respite that is piracy... What I'm saying is...
  10. attackfighter

French court rules Steam should allow resale of digital games, Valve will appeal

taxalot "So you mean it's like books and movies, where for their age of existence people have been trading them legally for same exact copies. And so were physical games, by the way. A wrapper that is slightly worn or a disc hardly scratched is inconsequential." Games were more expensive back...
  11. attackfighter

A relevant difference between physical and digital goods re reselling is that physical goods deteriorate with use whereas digital goods remain as good as they were new. Even if you buy someone’s used copy of a DVD, you will expect it to be scratched up a bit and perhaps faulty in some way. There...
  12. attackfighter

Total war games,boring gameplay?

gaudaost I also like late-game scripted catastrophes. The two I can think of are the Mongolians and Timurids in CK2 and the Planet Awakening in Alpha Centauri. In both cases I think they are rather weak and underpowered, but I like the idea behind them. They function as sort of an endgame boss...
  13. attackfighter

Europa Universalis IV

IQ variation wouldn't explain why Europe hit the industrial revolution before China, Japan, and so forth even if it did exist (note: I do believe it exists). Institutions -- legal, political, economic -- surely played a big role in that. You also have stuff like geographical factors leading to...
  14. attackfighter

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

True, true. It was probably FFA's and maybe the dreaded black forests and similar dreck where I was running into gold exhaustion, but it's been a while since I played it, memory's a bit foggy. Do you agree that the early game (scouting sheep, luring boars, etc.) is too slow and should ideally...
  15. attackfighter

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

My biggest complaint is that late-game gold exhaustion funnels most civs into the same "trash + siege weapons" strategy. You're going to be making trash anyway due to lack of gold, and at that point the best synergy you get is with ranged artillery that sits behind the trash safe from being...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom