Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by convivialist

1. Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

Depends on if you're the kind of codexer who needs to pretend that every game newer than 1993 is "popamole shit". If you're that person, SimCity 2000 is the best game, apparently. Otherwise, SimCity 4 is the best. Why? Because it has everything SimCity 3000 has but more and better, and...
  2. So I bought KotOR...

Holy shit, guys. I also bought KOTOR from the Steam sale because I would have sworn that in all my time lurking the Codex I kept seeing "KOTOR" on all the hardcore elitists purists' lists of "must play classic rpgs." Then after playing it a while I came here to see if there were any threads...
  3. Life Simulators

Saying what they're not doesn't tell me much. I ask because I've never played any of these games, so I don't know what kind of features they have.
  4. Life Simulators

What's the difference between these and games like The Sims and Europa 1400?
  5. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

So wait, this all boils down to the fact that some people's fragile masculinity is threatened by anything that could be remotely considered "cute"? Games need to be "gothic" or "classical" to not be hipster bullshit? What exactly are "gothic" and "classical" in terms of gaming anyway? I...
  6. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

Because after 7 pages of repeating the same empty statements people usually suddenly start backing up their argument with evidence and examples.
  7. Postal 3

I say give it a shot. I beta tested the first Postal when I was like 15 (using my dad's name because you had to be 18) and ended up winning a free copy. I remember it being a pretty fun game, while it lasts. The level design was actually quite good in the way if forced you to hide behind...
  8. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

This has to be the only thread in the history of the Codex in which the measure of a good game has been reduced to whether it has production values equal to those of the top studios.
  9. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

A story it took six pages to tell, which amounted to "indie is different from independent because only artfag hipsters use the word indie"... How could anyone not be convinced by such a sophisticated argument?
  10. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

The only reason "indie games" are new is because only recently has it been possible for a substantial number of people to create their own games independently. And many of the people doing so are doing so in reaction to the decline, not as part of it. Their attitude is "okay, if game...
  11. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

I don't understand all this shit about trying to distinguish "indie" as something shitty from "independent" as something legitimate. Isn't "indie" just short for "independent"? Like how there's "independent film." but people sometimes refer to those films as "indies"? It seems like a bunch...
  12. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

First of all, this was posted in General Gaming, so I assumed it was about indie games in general, not just indie rpgs. The games that they love. Not the games that the Codex loves. Sure, if we talk strictly about rpgs, I can't vouch for any indies because I haven't played any. For that...
  13. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

Y'all are familiar with Sturgeon's Law, right? So what's the point of talking about "most" of anything? Are we really saying that most indie games are shit, which is an empty, irrelevant statement, or are we implying that all indie games are shit? The answer to that question determines...
  14. Nazi Board Games

I thought this thread was gonna be about german board games but with a smartass title. Then it turned out to be about actual Nazi board games.
  15. Game Journalism the movie

I definitely wasn't trying to say that movie critics are as bad as game critics--just that I think critics in general have less and less balls these days (that's why I actually like Armond White. Game criticism could use a troll like him. If Armond White reviewed games, he would be the one guy...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom