Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Dickie_Anderson

1. From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

I count four buttons in Sekiro (deflect, attack, jump for sweeps, dodge/mikiri counters) and two for the optimal Dark Souls playstyle (attack & dodge). Or parry & dodge if you are so inclined.
  2. From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

It's not an argument, it's simply true.
  3. From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

I have already said that I haven't played the Bloodborne DLC fully, I'm willing to give it a go and see if it changes my opinion of the game as a whole. Base game Bloodborne just feels way weaker than the first half imo. I also didn't say anything about Elden Ring being 'great'. I have noticed...
  4. From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

I'm hearing so many people online saying stuff like 'yeah Elden Ring is alright, but Bloodborne is their TRUE masterpiece' and I can't help but think... why? It's a good game, but I don't see what it actually does that's such a brilliant innovation or departure from the others. Demon's Souls...
  5. Squeenix Played FF7 for the first time recently...

I have been playing this recently for the first time, on-and-off. It does a lot of things right It's a game that definitely wants to be cinematic, and it succeeds the best at this just through using fixed camera angles with pre-rendered backgrounds. A lot of these "shots" still look good to me...
  6. Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

I think where BOTW succeeds is in impressing sheer scale on the player. Massive mountains and vistas for their own sake. Because of this I don't think "condensing" the map as a correction of the game really works, but I agree that it may be something they'll have to do anyway for a sequel. Just...
  7. Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

I remember the dungeons being very good, it's uncommon for levels to holistically make use of 3D space as well as the Divine Beasts. I don't understand the "mechanics in the first hour of the game" thing as a complaint either. I thought one of the best qualities of of the game is that there are...
  8. Misunderstanding the NES

Zelda 2 is really fun, which mechanics are you referring to? There's obtuse and stupid overworld """puzzles""", but the actual core of the game is good. I like ALttP better but the way Zelda 2 used magic was far superior imo. In that game there were genuine decisions to be made between spells...
  9. Any good metroidvania recommendations?

That's why it's meaningful to get the wave beam, since you have a spread that can get the enemies you usually can't with the normal gun. One of the beautiful things about that game is the way all these frustrating limitations are shed as you get upgrades, and the levels accommodate them. E.g...
  10. Any good metroidvania recommendations?

If you haven't played it, Metroid for the NES is a masterpiece. Everyone seems to think it's overshadowed by its descendants now (and for fair enough reasons, because Super Metroid is real good), but in design it's very different from them. It's a devious and hostile game with a weird sense of...
  11. Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

I didn't feel as if the game was actively prompting you to seek out certain items or hoard them. If you just pick up whatever is about along the way you have more than enough, really. It's a shame there wasn't a limit on the amount of food you could store in your inventory. The reward for Korok...
  12. Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

The final dungeon is really good. The game starts you off as a feeble elven boy swinging sticks and you end up all kitted out single-handedly storming a castle, and the progress feels real rather than a narrative thing imposed on you. The final boss isn't very good but I can forgive it.
  13. Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

I beat BotW the other day. Very surprised by how good it was. People who say stuff like "the world needs to be more compact" seem to have missed the point. The game is all about slowly traversing vistas of a massive scale, and it goes out of its way to actually make the player feel its scale...
  14. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

The "few major decisions" complaint is definitely valid. Most reviewers I've read didn't touch on that, though. Most just didn't seem to like what it was going for, or misunderstood it (one in particular complained that it was creepy, as if it were unintentional). The story is tied so...
  15. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Miyazaki made a game very recently that wasn't like Souls at all: Deracine. It was great. Definitely the best narrative work to come out from them. Reviewers weren't kind to it though because it's very understated and weird

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom