Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Dr Schultz

1. Development Info Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #15 - Companions

Best historical drama ever made together with Band of Brothers in my humble opinion. At least if you stop watching after the first season finale.
  2. Development Info Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #13 - Building a Great Combat Encounter

If you ask me, tactical games where stats allocation is a worthy addition are rarer than virgin prostitutes. This kind of games tend to have ONE correct stats setup for any given class/role and A LOT of wrong setups. Basically, statd allocation, more often than not, is a fake choice and/or a...
  3. Game News Telepath Tactics to be Liberated from Old Design

It's one of the best tactical games around. There isn't much to enjoy outside the battles, though.
  4. Game News Mechajammer Released

I totally agree with you. In the case of Hollow Knight, though, the label of "good game" is even insufficient. We are more in the realm of "absolute masterpiece".
  5. Game News Mechajammer Released

Such as Hollow Knight, a serious contender for my personal game of the decade award and definitely one of the best (if not THE best) Metroidvania ever made
  6. Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

It's almost impossible to find a fantasy or a sci-fi novel crafted with the care and thought of Lord of the rings (Dune is the only name that comes to my mind), let alone a CRPG. Having said that, I'd find immensely boring to roleplay a character in Middle-Earth or in a similar setting, even if...
  7. Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

Frankly this is not what concerns me the most. I'm the kind of guy who considers Avatar (the first animated series) a textbook in fantasy writing even with its wokeness and its young target audience. At the same time, I deem mediocre the writing of most of the games I've recently played...
  8. Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

Umberto Eco, may he rest in peace, wrote an entire novel about the myth of Presbiter Johannes and he didn't give the slightest fuck about woke culture, SJW and inclusiveness... This novel (Baudolino) is easily one of the funniest things I've ever read and I'm pretty sure Sawyer is quite...
  9. Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

I doubt that Presbiter Johannes will be in the game. Probably people who believe in Presbiter Johannes will be in the game, which is totally legit even if a bit out of fashion
  10. Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

It has a lot to do with Europe, considering that no real Presbiter Johannes ever existed in Asia but, at the time of the Crusuades, Europeans were so convinced of his existence that they even wrote fake letters signed by this imaginary priest-king and addressed to the pope and the emperor. The...
  11. Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Primal Calling DLC announced, releasing on November 4th

On this I wholeheartedly agree but, still, ignoring what the manuals tell you about CR equals to depart from the intended design of the game. Which is totally fine in a tabletop RPG, even encouraged, and it's what I've done with all the editions of D&D, but it's a departure nonetheless.
  12. Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Primal Calling DLC announced, releasing on November 4th

By any means you can do that, but you have to ignore what the manuals tell you about the CR. Creating challenging encounters is always possibile around a table, I'd say even easy, given the unlimited freedom you have as a GM. The system, tough, remains not designed to scale with a consistent...
  13. Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Primal Calling DLC announced, releasing on November 4th

And what a coincidence, Grunker: learning that you think that I'm objectively wrong gave me the infallible conviction that I'm objectively right. If I had doubts before, now I have none. Life is curious indeed, my friend ;).
  14. Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Primal Calling DLC announced, releasing on November 4th

And why should flying make verticality irrelevant? Flying simply allows your characters to move on a third axis. It's not a dominant strategy. While flying your characters can't take cover and are subject to disastrous falls due to loss of concentration. Also, the character who cast a flying...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom