Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Flatlander

1. Editorial Ultima and Wizardry retrospectives at the Digital Antiquarian

I just noticed that Maher has also written a book about the Commodore Amiga, which might be of interest to some of the folks around here. Since the early Wizardries were made with UCSD Pascal I thought it shouldn't be too hard to disassemble the bytecodes but apparently someone already beat me...
  2. Game News Paper Sorcerer: First-person turn-based RPG

As someone who loves the style they are going after I have been experimenting with something similar and it didn't take too long to realize that this was not the way to do it. You really need to have some midtones and colors, good textures and shaders to make it work and it looks like they only...
  3. Game News Underworld Gold Trailer

Any chance to ever get this thing running on Android devices? It's made with Gamemaker right? ISTR they have some kind of an tablet support... with the recent facelift it might actually do quite well in that space.
  4. Information Ashes: Two Worlds Collide, Ultima-Inspired Party Based RPG, Seeks Crowd Funding

:hmmm: Is there any info about the original game besides this ?
  5. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Another thing to consider is the huge inertia C++ has in game dev sector. Even if the major studios wanted to use something else it wouldn't be that easy because of the existing toolkits and talent base (and the fact that triple-A studios are primarily developing for consoles which have limited...
  6. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

In the random crap you have made category I shall present thee with what happens when a dev gets too deep in to the hypomanic state after working too long with pixelart: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/584033 Apparently the end product is quite buggy since it doesn't work with my...
  7. Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

While we are nitpicking on the details: I think the font is too big for the buttons, it makes them feel a bit cramped. Or maybe make the buttons a bit taller? I don't know if you already have some plans for it but the minimap doesn't really fit in with the rest of the graphics. Just changing...
  8. Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Hey, this is looking great! Have you thought about trying to get it in to Steam or Desura? I think it would fit perfectly in the latter.
  9. Game News Age of Decadence Demo Released

So, anyone got an official Wine compatibility report? Under Ubuntu 11.10 and the latest Wine from the PPA I had problems with some missing sound library which was fixed by installing dx9 with "winetricks directx9". After that everything seems and sounds fine, except for missing textures in the...
  10. Torque 2D for TBS RPG engine

Defensive much? I'm just not much a fan of libraries that have useless cruft in them, like sprite or particle systems, which have limited use and can be easily implemented by yourself. So, no, I don't want any TBRPG features either. I'm just wary of how well it works across different platforms...
  11. Torque 2D for TBS RPG engine

FlatRedBall seems to have a lot of stuff that really isn't needed in a turn based RPG while not offering that much actual graphics functionality over other 2d libraries (like SFML, Love and what ever there is). Personally I'm not that fond of Flash, but the 2d API is probably the best there...
  12. Editorial Making Wizardry: The Roots of Sir-Tech

I wonder if the (S)NES versions were also made in Pascal, if so it's probably one of the rare games made in higher level languages running on early consoles. From Woodhead's comments at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2011-07-06 it seems like a possibility: Also Seems that...
  13. NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/pptxx/i_feel_that_most_turn_based_rpgs_fail_on_a_basic/ , or How the Japs Have Killed the Turn Based Genre.
  14. Why are most indie games so dumb-looking/sounding?

Just Roadwar Europa, http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/roadwar-europa . I always liked the car battle system in those and thought it would work great in a space setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom