Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Gentle Player

1. Gentle Player

Anvil of Dawn- any good?

It's been an age since I played it so I might be wrong, but I don't think it does. I had the same problem as you with carrying bags full of rocks and dropping them at the dungeon entrance, coming back to them when needed, and eventually just gave up and started carrying them with me all the time...
  2. Gentle Player

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

One thing I hate about this game is the need to beg people online for rift crystals. I'd be very much obliged if a kind soul could rent my pawn on Steam, he is a Sorcerer level 56 named Menelkir, Arisen named Daedolon. I think that's all the information I need to give?
  3. Gentle Player

Vapourware RPGs with spellcrafting

From Software's 2000 PS2 game Eternal Ring has a system in which gems of different elements and grades are looted and then combined in various configurations, to be set in magical rings that can cast spells or grant a passive boost. Unlike King's Field, magic is central to combat soon after the...
  4. Gentle Player

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Since the Souls games have borrowed much from King's Field (including the refillable flasks idea), they should also have adapted in some way the system used in King's Field IV, which in my view is the best fast travel system in any game I have played. It requires thought on the player's part...
  5. Gentle Player

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

The DS3 bonfire placement is bad indeed, but it's odd that Bloodborne gets much less criticism despite having the exact same problem. The lantern placement at Byrgenwerth/Shadows of Yharnam is just as bad as DS3's Dragon Slayer. BB also introduced the concept of lantern/bonfire after each boss...
  6. Gentle Player

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Yes, I am playing it and I think I'm near the end. It looks good and has nice music, there's plenty of backtracking and using new abilities to find secrets (though progression is fairly linear), and bosses are challenging. I find the spirit system to be very enjoyable and possibly superior to...
  7. Gentle Player

Decline Abe's Exoddus is a downgrade compared to Odyssey

It's too difficult to make a decision one way or the other. Exoddus was indeed more challenging in its individual puzzles. Fleeches, Greeters, leading blind Mudokons through meat grinders and Slogs. Yet thanks to quicksave, I could always rescue all 300 Mudokons in Exoddus despite not having the...
  8. Gentle Player

Naturally, I managed to get it (and the Guardian's tail) entirely by accident without really trying, but whenever I deliberately try to get them I always have to give up.
  9. Gentle Player

Deus Ex RPGs with best atmosphere

My top list of atmospheric RPGs: Souls games and Bloodborne. Top notch. Anvil of Dawn. Very moody, and great art. Dungeon layouts were great but constantly putting rocks on pressure plates was tiresome. Ultima Underworld I and II. Still top dogs as far as I'm concerned, and I love the way...
  10. Gentle Player

SMT: Nocturne

Hell biker isn't very good but Daisojou is excellent and viable end game. You will probably want to fuse a new higher level one through sacrifice. Riders can only be fused at New Moon. They're some of the best demons in the game, with the exception of Pale.
  11. Gentle Player

SMT: Nocturne

Strange Journey is superb. Absolutely incredible dungeons, great atmosphere and visuals. Combat not as good Nocturne but decent enough.
  12. Gentle Player

I have to disagree with most of the earlier comments about how secrets and NPC questlines are too obscure. I only take issue with Kaathe and the Darkwraith covenant, the only thing in DS1 I could never figure out without looking it up, because the method of discovering him goes against the very...
  13. Gentle Player

Best Souls game ?

From Software are fond of certain recurring motifs throughout their games. I personally have no problem with it as long as it's done well. Many of the alleged original ideas and character roles of Demons' Souls and Dark Souls 1 made an appearance over a decade earlier in FromSoft's King's Field...
  14. Gentle Player

Screenshot thread

Echo Night 2: The Lord of Nightmares :negative:
  15. Gentle Player

Best Souls game ?

Dark Souls 1 > DeS + BB > DS2 + DS3 I've not played Nioh, and haven't played enough of Severance to form a proper opinion. From Software will never make a Souls style game as good as DS1 until they realise that allowing the player to easily warp from place to place removes a lot of the...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom