Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Giauz Ragnacock

1. Giauz Ragnacock

Incline Something incredible will happen (Next Thursday). Incline.

Better Idea. Ironman's head replaced with the Grimoire logo getting the infinity stones, turning his hand into the GOG logo. Grimoire is getting more powerful, plus Grimoire would be a hero not a mass murderer about to get owned in this context. Just say'n.
  2. Giauz Ragnacock

Incline Something incredible will happen (Next Thursday). Incline.

I may not always agree with Cleve while I do some lurking around here, but as an indie developer who we finally got to put his good work out (and he's not asking for much on gog.com, so I salute him for those of us without much cash), I will give him a few bucks to keep up the decent work he put...
  3. Giauz Ragnacock

The Great 'RPG Elements' Poll

None of the elements that make up RPGs are specific to RPGs. The first RPG, D&D (1974), was an add-on for the war-game Chainmail.
  4. Giauz Ragnacock

The Great 'RPG Elements' Poll

The choices are not a comprehensive list. I just wanted to get a feel for what individual parts of CRPGs make a nice whole. Feel free to add descriptions in the comments of why you chose what you did and/or what elements/mechanics you think would make up a nice CRPG.
  5. Giauz Ragnacock

What constitutes an RPG - and what makes a game not an RPG

A CRPG is a narrative computer game that treats the PCs more like board game pieces or action figures with abstract rules for controlling the PCs and resolving conflicts such as with stats, rngs, and menus rather than giving the player deterministic direct control of the PCs as in action...
  6. Giauz Ragnacock

RPG Maker Fes

About my own game: It is a first-person perspective dungeon crawler called 'Path of the Worm God'. So far I have a timer to track the days passed, some of the mapping implemented, choosing from 15 characters, some incomplete skills and items, incomplete monsters with all variable stats, and a...
  7. Giauz Ragnacock

How do you feel about innovation in RPGs?

I cast for Revolutionary. We need good changes, and the way forward I think is to look at all the cool systems in table-top RPGs that it seems like no one tries. There are more than hp systems, narrative skill checks, freaking dialogue in combat rather than just silently taking turns bopping...
  8. Giauz Ragnacock

RPG Maker Fes

So, I have a Nintendo 2DS, and I bought RM Fes on the e-shop I think in summer 2018. It's a charming little program. I have been working on a first-person dungeon-crawler on and off for some months using the program. More on that later. What I currently want to do is promote a game made for...
  9. Giauz Ragnacock

Parasite, a modern-day survival horror roguelike

infidel So this game will have Body horror?
  10. Giauz Ragnacock

New indie RPG

OK, some ideas: * Have single use save-points and a limit-1 save-anytime item given out at save-points. This gives the ballance of conveniently saving anywhere while cutting down on save-scumming. * Performing a stat check then leads into an unskippable save. At one's current level, they...
  11. Giauz Ragnacock

[Poll] Which kinds of games are RPGs?

While those games do have narrative framing devices- they are games trying to simulate stories or activities we can understand (not so much with Pac Man)- the player is directly controling the game piece rather than handing off at least some control (as in action RPGs) to structured rules and...
  12. Giauz Ragnacock

I am not contesting that. I am hearkening back to D&D's and RPGs' in generals' roots in the trapping of wargames, which used tokens and structured rules rather than simply dexterity to manipulate the pieces much like board-games. My goal is to try to succinctly show a common thread in games we...
  13. Giauz Ragnacock

I wasn't claiming anything of the sort. Doom and games like it are direct control versus having a board-game-like set of rules be the "controler" (rolling dice, picking up cards, button/menu options, etc).
  14. Giauz Ragnacock

As long as there are still SOME board-game style rules to limit player control over their PC to act as the "videogame controler" then this pretend play is still in the bounds of a game. Even without loot or level up there probably should be some progression of resource, even a negative...
  15. Giauz Ragnacock

OK, here goes: A role-playing game is like the trend of games Dungeons & Dragons kicked off in 1974. The caveat: Computer/videogames only began a few years earlier with 1962's Space War. In D&D one plays a fantasy character who traverses towns, dungeons, etc with other fantasy characters and...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom